Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

When i want to make myself hurt, i browse salvage auctions.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?ac...onType=high-end

:negative:

I love that damage estimate - $80026.18 - down to the penny. I'm kinda surprised 80 large in damage totaled a Alpina, though. Even in Loonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Huge_Midget posted:

Awwww, you Europeans and your "snow" are cute. Try coming to the Midwest during January and then you'll know what the true frozen hell is really like.

:colbert:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ok, Buddy. There's got to be a pic from friggin Norway or something with walls of snow taller than that.

Well played, Sir.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

14 INCH DICK posted:

AW poo poo MAN I THREW MARVIN INTO REVERSE

loving LOL. Perfect.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Delivery McGee posted:

Early '70s Chevy cars (Chevelle [pictured] and my '71 Nova, for example) had the same:

Aw Man, that made me flash back to my first car - a Granny-spec '71 Malibu 4dr with a 307 and hub caps (had been replaced before this pic was taken).

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

To fly one plane into the ground might be considered misfortune; to fly two into the ground.....

You're qualified to be a Senator!

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

ExplodingSims posted:

Do impending mechanical failures count?
I got to work on this lovely unit the other day.

gently caress Salt.

Our A/C units at the beach in North Carolina look like that for half of their lives - which is about seven years depending on how cheap the family goes when they inevitably poo poo the bed on a major holiday weekend.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Alereon posted:

All CO detectors since 2009 do alert at end of life.

While I was on a work trip in Europe my wife was woken up at 0200 by one of the combo smoke/CO detectors I had installed seven years earlier when we moved into the house. She couldn't figure out WTF so she called the fire department who responded with two trucks and a Suburban. They used a fancy sniffer to determine that there wasn't any dangerous gas anywhere in the house and told her that it was probably an anomaly with the unit. 15 minutes after they left one of the others started going off, she freaked out and called them back. Two trucks and a Suburban. They couldn't explain it and for the rest of the night she sat in bed - fully clothed - ready to grab the dogs and get the gently caress out of there if it happened again. She used the time to get on the internet and find out about the planned end of life warning for those units.

It had taken me about an hour to install the two detectors seven years earlier and those fuckers were accurate to within minutes of each other in setting off the warning. She called the fire department back in the morning to let them know that this was a thing.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

My wife used my hacksaw to cut branches off a little tree and complained that it was a piece of poo poo because of how long it took.

Then she discovered my side cutters and used them for pruning her rose bushes... And left them out in the rain :negative:

I think it's time to put a lock on the tool cabinet.

(I have become my Dad)

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nuevo posted:

I had some lovely bushes to remove and my neighbor lent me his Lance of Longinus, a 5lb splitting wedge welded to the end of 6 feet of 3/4" steel bar.

Slam that fucker down into a root and it goes through it like it's not there, and doesn't give a gently caress about levering your whole body off the ground prying stuff up.

A++ would lance again.

Gotta get me one of those root-killers.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Customer: "Hey you can put a plug in that, right? That tire only has a couple hundred miles on it."

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

sarcastx posted:

yeah I figure the idea behind the softline portions is so the engine can move and whatnot but why they chose to use this lovely brittle plastic is beyond me. After I took this photo I tried to join the break together with a piece of vacuum line rubber patch that I had lying around (just so I could move the car up my driveway and into the garage) and broke the hose again just from handling it. Makes me wonder what the state of the other myriad 19 year old hoses are...

The only reason I can think of that it's not softline the whole way is that the hardline portion clips to the top of the engine cover (it broke at the clip), holding it just above the word "Jaguar". If the hose was softline, theoretically it might droop above the pretty text. Seems like a pretty lovely reason so I'm going to assume that's why.

I'm kind of impressed that Jag ran the tube ABOVE the intake runners instead of underneath them, since the latter would not obscure the normally-hidden logo and make lots of pounds and shillings for steadfast British mechanics when the inevitable break occurred and you had to remove the intake manifold to repair it.

:bravo:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost
I worked for a lawn care company back in the mid-80's spraying lawns. We took IMMACULATE care of our tanker trucks, washing them at the end of each day, hitting all the zerks (there were dozens) with grease at least weekly and drivers being responsible for 3000mi oil changes. This was rare and at the painting company where I worked for a while we rarely even rolled the windows up when it was raining in the work pickups.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Raluek posted:

some of these are just abuse, rather than amusing wonky failures, but there is some gold in there

That one looks like the dash is giving birth to a radio with a dozen umbilical cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

honda whisperer posted:

Gotta be honest I'd buy a range rover if it came with a wench.

Then it would just be twice the trouble.