Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
What the gently caress, swaybar? Why you gotta throw me like that?

IAmGod posted:

This '72 Charger used to be my daily driver until I had to take it into a guard rail to avoid hitting someone this afternoon. Poor baby
Aw, poo poo. If you saw some lanky mook get out of a white Jeep and creep on your Charger a few minutes ago, that was me. I have an extra garage bay just up the road from you if you need a place to smack things back together. Can't see a coke bottle languish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Hey, uh, I think something's wrong with your turbo, dude

Seriously, no bueno

Sweet merciful christ

Any backstory? That core shift is spectacular, and it's just the tip of the iceberg (S&W failure notwithstanding).

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Now you bastards are making me nervous. I installed the clutch in February so I'll be damned if I remember any of it. Maybe I should ask someone to push me around...

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

I have the exact same problem and I can guarantee it's the lifters making noise. If he's waiting for it to finally die, he's going to have one hell of a wait, even at a half-million miles.

I once topped it off using five extra quarts of oil, at least two lifters were collapsed, and a couple bores were ovalled nearly 0.050" diametrically. It made single-digit oil pressure cold and sounded like a skeletons loving in a metal file cabinet.

It never would have been pulled if the internal slave cylinder hadn't blown and eaten the AX15's synchros.

So yeah, he might be sitting on that extra 4.0 for a while.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Car #86 (Red E30 Convertible), pads are Hawk Blue's that were new beginning of the day Saturday. They lasted about 14-14.5 hours of heavy use (Road America) so I can't complain at all.

Ha forgot the backing plates on those are supposed to be blue, guess the paint doesn't hold up to getting red hot.
Here's the inner driver's front pad off our RX7 after VIR 24hr :v:

Granted, we did take a couple very good hits that taco'd a control arm, so who knows. They served well.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

kastein posted:

The one real weak point of the 4.0 for example is the cam, overspeed one past a certain point and the cam goes through a resonant point, i.e. it flops around like a fish out of water until you either go above the RPM it resonates at, drop below it again, or it breaks.
No nth-order exclusion criteria at AMC. :v:

On that note, here's a reman 4.0 a buddy of mine had - cam bearings #2 through 5. These photos were taken ~100mi after break-in. Never did get a definitive answer of what caused the cam bearings to melt and extrude, but I'm inclined to say it was either cut-rate bearings or horrendous bore alignment. This was the first of these I've seen on any 4.0, but some more have popped up on forums, all from the same supplier.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Oh, that was an ATK reman engine. No clue what bearings they use.

I don't remember if I used King or Clevite, but they seem to be intact after thirty minutes of break-in. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

I probably posted this long ago, but all this rusty Rangerchat reminded me of a piece of poo poo one of our co-ops drove daily in 2009/2010:

Why's that bedliner so... oh. :magical: