Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
It's from a small engine, and not as exciting as some of the others posted here, but this is what happens when you run a single-cylinder Kohler with no oil:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
One time I jacked up the front of a FWD car and put it in gear, to diagnose what turned out to be a bad CV halfshaft. My almost fuckup was that I started to turn the jack handle to lower the car, then realized oh wait, it's still in gear :downs:. No harm, no foul I guess. It would have been an especially fun fuckup, because I didn't think to roll the window down, and when I put it in gear the doors automatically locked. So it would have gone on an unpiloted killdozer rampage through my garage while I frantically searched the house for the spare key.

Earlier this year I had a very minor failure with some not so fun consequences. In April I was replacing the pitman arm on my '94 Chevy K2500. There's a frame crossmember that gets in the way of a puller, so the easiest way to do it is to pull the whole steering box and replace the pitman arm on the bench. I took off my nice protective pair of mechanic's gloves, because I didn't want to drench them in power steering fluid, and changed into nitrile gloves. While maneuvering the steering box out of the truck, I somehow caught my left thumb between the box and the frame, slicing across the palm side of my IP joint. Wrapped it up with shop towels and duct tape, and drove my car to the ER. The nitrile gloves kept everything clean except the cut, which was full of 28 year old grease/rust/PS fluid/mud/whatever, so it took a whole pint bottle of saline to flush it out before I left with 5 stitches. End of story, right?

A couple weeks later I lightly pinched a piece of wire to bend it, felt a pop, and my thumb no longer had the ability to bend. Turns out the initial injury cut partway through my FPL tendon, and that little pinch ruptured what was left. Thousands of dollars, some surgery, and 5 months of therapy later, it's basically fully functional again. It'll continue to improve for 6 months or a year as the swelling subsides, but right now it's really only an issue for super fine motion type stuff. It definitely put the brakes on everything I wanted to accomplish this summer though. And the money I spent on the ER visit, surgery, and therapy coulda bought me a metric shitload of nice gloves.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The only worse pain I can remember is a nurse trying to take out a catheter without deflating the balloon, after my surgery to fix my acetabulum. Oh did I mention I also had bladder trauma from the head of my femur slamming into it?

She got it on the third tug.

Ok, you win.

Honestly my tendon snapping wasn't that painful, although I still cringe thinking about it now. I've had way worse injuries, but this has definitely been my worst recovery. And it gave me a pretty cool scar...here's a professional artist's rendition of the incision (this is all on the "palm" side):

I think she said they zigzag it like that so they can flay the whole thing open and have more room to work. Depending on how far the tendon snaps back when it breaks, sometimes they have to cut as far as partway up your wrist to find it. Then at the other end, if there wasn't enough intact tendon on the tip joint to attach to, Plan B would be to drill through the bone and through the thumbnail, pull the tendon through, and attach it to a little "button" on the outside, right on top of your thumbnail. After about 6 weeks of healing, they cut the button off. Luckily they didn't have to do that on mine.

I have a pretty cool zombie thumb picture from right before they took the stitches out, but I'd have to post it with spoiler tags and a gore warning :effort:

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

sharkytm posted:

:barf: huuuuah :barf:

Never look up "degloving injury" on image search.

That search gets extra spicy if you add the word "penoscrotal" :stonk:.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Never have I ever limped home on back roads while going through 3 bottles of brake fluid after a caliper was sheared off

Never have I done the same after blowing a brake line. More than once, on different vehicles.

Never have I run out of gas at the exact moment that I turned in front of a triaxle dump truck to pull into a gas station.

Never have I driven back and forth to work for a week (60 mile round trip per day) with one of my caliper bolts sitting on top of my lower control arm, eventually having the other bolt loosen enough for the caliper to pivot and wedge against the inside of the wheel, while at a stop sign a few hundred feet from my house - and then pulled the wheel to find the other caliper bolt was somehow still sitting on top of the LCA.

Never have I accidentally left a T-top unlatched, hit triple digit speeds on the drag strip in that condition, and eventually had it fly off on the highway.

Never have I owned a piece of poo poo carbureted truck that came with a "warm up brick" in the cab.

Never have I had a slight mishap during a pitman arm replacement that resulted in surgery and months of occupational therapy.

Never have I tried to break rusty front lugnuts loose with hand tools, while the rear was on jack stands with the wheels off, resulting in a truck rolling forward, tipping off the jack stands, and landing on the rear drums.