Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

That's interesting. I would have imagined Porsche having internally balanced motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Blue hoses have been shown to add like 4 more HP but you can kind of negate the loss with a sweet braided stainless hose sleeve.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Captain Crunk posted:

How does this even happen? Just gets that weak after tons of heat cycles? Sucking up rocks and poo poo?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Try a magic eraser/melamine foam pad. poo poo's amazing.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Do you mean brake cleaner or brake fluid?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LO Technology posted:

Remote oil filters shouldn't even be in your car. It's not convenient or environmentally correct.

Burning oil off your exhaust is the EPA approved method of disposal! Seriously, what the gently caress?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LO Technology posted:

Remote oil filters shouldn't even be in your car. It's not convenient or environmentally correct.

LO Technology posted:

A remote filter setup is about as environmentally correct as you can get. Keeping it in the car (glovebox etc.) is not.

You should ideally keep your remote filters in your SHTF-room below your moms cellar or - if that's not an option - in your gun-safe. Just remember to change them every 10K miles.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has no idea what the gently caress you're talking about anymore.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 16, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

E: loving SALR...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Sponge! posted:

What happens when somethign goes wrong on your continuous casting line lightsaber factory?

Surely everyone's already seen this, but I still think it's amazing how little of a gently caress these guys seem to give. I would probably be going "woohoo-hoooo" too like that other guy just as that thing effortlessly cleaves through my torso.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Mr.Peabody posted:

This also sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.
At least some of the old chevy straight 6s (250 etc) had phenolic timing gears, and I never had any issues with mine or heard about it being a problem. Maybe it's not the same kind of resin?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

mutt2jeff posted:

It would be interesting to see if the rear wheels retracted as well.

You can see in the first video that they don't. Time to move on.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

jamal posted:

This I-beam rod doesn't look quite right:

It is now an S-beam.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Ok since it's DREMEL CHAT ITT I was wondering something. I've seen Dremels with those long flexible shaft extension things so you can work in weird places and angles. Is there something like that I could get for my pneumatic die grinder? That would be slick. I tried googling for it but I don't know what to call it.

E: I guess it's called a flex shaft, but I can only find new grinders with it permanently on there as opposed to something I can remove.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 2, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Beast Pussy posted:

i spilled a drink on the keyboard yesterday and can't find my backup keyboard, sorry.

At least just say you suck at posting instead of bullshitting.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

EightBit posted:

That is far too long to patch.

Oh come on, the little black worm things in my patch kit are at least a good 4 inches long and there's like 4 of them.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

I still want to see pictures of what happened when DJCommie converted the X1/9 to Megasquirt and EDIS and left out the distributor that he didn't need for ignition anymore. It was also supposed to drive the oil pump.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

Its too much of a pain to take the pan off, otherwise I would. It probably just needs rod bearings.

Yeah, no kidding. They would probably be so much nicer to work on without the second little trunk back there.

Sorry for it being off topic, but you would probably know. Do all these cars have a condenser in them even if they didn't have air conditioning? Mine sure as heck doesn't have a compressor and I don't know if it has an evaporator, but I wonder if maybe the PO removed it or something.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Hillridge posted:

I've always wondered this since drum brakes are so much more of a hassle to work on than disc and seem to have 5x as many parts.

They're just as easy to do as discs as long as you have the right tools (which are cheap). It's usually more stamped pieces vs. cast pieces which is cheaper, requires less machining, and they're just as reliable and powerful as discs for every day driving. If anything I would ask why modern non-performance cars even bother with disc front brakes.

e: Actually I wouldn't be surprised if drums are more powerful until you get into heat fade since they usually have more swept area and are somewhat self-assiting.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

I *HAVE* driven cars with front drum brakes, unlike almost everyone else here. And not on a freeway. Oh I do remember the brake fade, the much longer stopping distances, the maintenance issues, the increased unsprung weight, the decreased stopping power and...

I'm happy to continue if you need more explaination. So yeah, I would say any car maker that puts on front drums would get the worlds biggest liability suit for making their cars deliberatly and wilfully unsafer.

Yes, please continue explaining why drums are inferior for racing, which everyone including me has already said.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

The Third Man posted:

I'm pretty sure being able to stop quickly is a good thing off the track, too.

You can. Drum brakes are not inherently weak and aren't going to fade to uselessness in one hard stop. I've driven lots of miles on a '66 Bel-Air with power 4 wheel drums, and a '69 Chevelle and '65 Mustang with unassisted 4 wheel drums. I admittedly drive like an rear end in a top hat and never once have I ever said "Geez I wish these things had discs", even after threshold braking to 0 from 70 on the highway in an emergency. All they have is clean drums, 80's era shoes and dry brake fluid. Yes, I'm sure if I tried to lap a track or ride them down the side of a mountain I would probably be better off with discs, but I'm not, and neither are what's probably 99% of all drivers. Maybe these cars just have tremendously awesome drum brakes and I've never driven super-lovely ones from some '80s econobox that probably wouldn't stop for poo poo even if it had discs. Sorry.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 10, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

The Locator posted:

Try stopping a '68 charger from 130'ish to 0 in one stop. Glorious brake-fade right around 70mph. By Glorious, I mean pretty much no brakes anymore.
Slamming on the brakes at 130mph is just common, every-day, legal street-driving when you live life a quarter-mile at a time.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ACEofsnett posted:

In that case, basically until your car consumes the oil.
Not really. Oil isn't just a there-or-not thing. It breaks down and turns to poo poo even if it doesn't leak out or get burned no matter how well you filter it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

I did a quick search, but I probably don't know what to look for terminology wise: how do they recycle it then? Do they have to distill it again to get the molecule chains that are too small out or some other petrochemical wizardry?

I'm not sure, but I would think it would end up as fuel or plastics or something instead of trying to make it into fresh motor oil again.

E: Automotive Insanity: What the gently caress, oil?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 20, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

If you hit something going fast and hard enough that it bucks the back end of a 6000lb truck a few feet in the air and expect nothing to break on a stock or close truck then you're just an idiot. I've seen owners of those things say "Oh but the guy on the commercial was doing it!". I think I've also seen a loving Buick drive on the moon in a commercial, but I don't think anyone ever tried to return one when it couldn't.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Return Loss posted:

Don't be so cryptic. I have no idea what that thing is, I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all auto(?) parts, but I would like to learn something.

It's a distributor rotor. Doesn't really look that worn.

VVV Oh no it's dirty!

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 23, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

Edit: Dammit, new page.
Wasn't the whole point of that silly sigtrap thread we had a while ago to get people to stop doing this?

What motor is that, and what is it going in? I'll just throw out the random 5.0 in a Ranger guess since those seem to be pretty popular here these days.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

It is a GEMS motor, and the difference between the 3.9 blocks and 4.0/4.6 blocks (besides the milling for a crank position sensor on the GEMS models) was extra ribbing and cross bolted mains. In fact, the 3.9 vs 4.0 didn't evan have a displacement difference. Just a new intake/exhaust/pistons and aforementioned block changes.

It's getting built because I like the Disco platform, but feel like it could use some more power. I would have started with a 4.6, but based on what I'm already planning on replacing and what I have sitting on shelves it was cheaper to start with a 4.0. I think it will be easier to do it this way (which will include a larger radiator and removal of the "Jarvik Heart" external thermostat madness) than to do an LS swap or similar.

I expect to have problems. Hopefully none that make me start over from scratch or abandon the project completely.
Jay-Z is the authority on all Land Rover drivetrains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VjtptgMio#t=222s

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Real solution: Go faster.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

....it just has to be one hell of a valuable block to be worth that muh machine shop time. Which I don't doubt on a motor like that.

It's just not the kind of thing you'd be doing for something you can pick out of a scrap yard.
Many motors like that are CNC machined out of giant billets and not cast. Yeah, that costs a lot.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

You can't even buy chlorinated brake cleaner in a lot of states anymore, and most parts stores don't even carry it in the states that do. It's not really a thing to worry about anymore.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

slower than the limit.
Yes, limit. That means you have to go at least that fast

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Geoj posted:

A good friend of mine is former law enforcement...in Ohio at least its common practice to not even bother until someone is going more than 10 over the limit. I routinely set my cruise control at +10 over the posted limit and can blow by LEOs doing traffic duty with impunity. Unless you do something else to provoke them (swerving, not staying in your lane, not using turn signals, etc.) you're not going to be pulled over for only doing <5 over the limit in 99% of cases.
Yeah I used to live in Cuyahoga county. Every speeding ticket I've seen there comes with a little envelope to send in payment if possible and it lists the fines for different things. 1-7 over did not even have a fine associated with it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

And several E36s getting chucked out of a warehouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQnK7S2NTI8&NR=1
Haha I love how the first car has steelies on it, yet the crash cart thing has the later style bottlecaps on it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Godholio posted:

That doesn't seem to be terribly rare, based on how many examples have shown up in this thread. That's insane.
I'm still waiting to see one so bad that it shoots out the pad backing plates and grinds the calipers and rotors so much that the pistons fall out at a stop light and all braking is lost.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

heat posted:

Once the pad shoe breaks apart and falls out the piston will hit the rotor and not come back, making the car immobile. Well, that's what happened to me at least
My backing plate wouldn't fit between the caliper and rotor so it got stuck halfway through and locked the wheel.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Nope, I fixed it and it wasn't anything big.
Man that sounds like an interesting horrible mechanical failure. Nothing like playing the old "guess where this trace came from" game.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

I don't think we really need to analyze the physics behind some stupid fake news article, do we? It's just meant to make you laugh, and it even fails at that.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Yeah these jacks are loving stupid. There one that comes with E34s is similar. Instead of having a hole in the side, there's just a little notch and lip that the tip hooks into on the side of the pinch weld. Looks like this

Also notice that its not even a right angle like your relatively nice one. This one has to sit at like a variable 20 degree angle and try to drag your car sideways while lifting it. Too much angle and the smooth bottom of the jack slips and probably puts a hole in your rocker. Not enough and the thing drives the top into the door. The base is also like 3" wide, so even if you set the brake, it might not be enough to keep it from tipping. I tried to use it once for some stupid reason, and I learned that an e34 540i at least has large enough rear brake rotors that the car would be unharmed and have space to jack it back up should the piece of poo poo fall over sideways.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Spare the rod...

... oil the child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

I want to pop them like bubble wrap but I would probably get a steel belt in the face somehow.