Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

there is no way that's the radome. that's just the forward pressure bulkhead. A vital component none the less. The color doesn't indicate that it's radar transparent, just that it's coated in anti-corrosion paint. The radar set will be mounted forward of that. Airliner radars are remarkably small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

oxbrain posted:

What's even scarier, a lot of us secretly desire to build experimental aircraft.

Secretly? gently caress that. Openly. I want a hummelbird.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Saab had a turbo v6, that had a turbocharger on one bank, feeding the whole engine. The bank without the turbo had a specially setup exahust restrictor to help things run smoother.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That was a loving turbo?

No, it was a turbocharger, it's now a hosed turbo.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's at 1980 GS550. It's still in my garage. It needs a new wiring harness and the carbs sorted once and for all.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That's block. And I'm pretty sure that's a scoobie flat 6.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I.. can tell you a bit more of what is happening here. That square thing is the crossslide. On engines like that they have a crossslide to take the horizontal forces instead of the cylinder bore itself. I"ll bet that he cylinder, piston, and upper rod were all just fine after this.

Now, for the doxford link. Here are bigger copies of those images, bigger pictures give you some idea of the scale of those chips... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guide...oxford_and_Sons

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2010

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Skyssx posted:

Mythbusters proved it was not possible to start a fire from friction between rubber and the road.

huhwhat? After they came back from lunch the pile of rubber was smoldering.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

The unit is ft-lb, which I'm sure would have been even harder on his understanding than 180lb(?) of torque.

Yeah, that's understood. *looks around the forum* You all understood right? I know I did. I suppose I now need to dig up a picture of a horrible mechanical failure.

Somewhere I have a camshaft that failed. Gimme a few hours :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I beg to differ. i think the problem is our attitude about snow driving. People fear going to drive in it. Fear makes you stupid. Absolutely everyone should spend a night, or several nights each winter doing donuts in the snow. Learn to love the slide.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

anonumos posted:

I want to point out that 1 atmosphere of pressure is not hard to deal with. The space station is rather flimsy compared to a submarine.

The space program isn't run at 1atm. It's run at something like 8psi. (15kfeet iirc) Less when there are space walks involved. It looks like I was beaten to those numbers, but I am pretty certain they don't run the ISS or the shuttle at sea level.

And the structures we're talking about are stressed in tension, not in compression. In tension you don't need to worry about buckle strength. in tension things straighten themselves out and pull to the best shape to resist the pressure.

In compression the slightest ding, dent, or defect concentrates the stress and you get that sickening crush you saw on that rail car.

With the cray failure, I'm wishing I had pictures of the APC CRACS at my old job that were designed in such a way that if the evaporators weren't perfectly clean water would drop off of them directly into the control box.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I don't see what the apollo 1 fire has to do with this at all. They were running a ground test at +something psi on top of 14.7psi at sea level. So they were in a super concentrated pure o2 atmosphere.

I stand corrected on the shuttle/iss "day to day" pressures.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

Keep in mind that pure O2 at 5 PSI is still 67% more than the partial pressure of oxygen in a normal atmosphere.

I'm well aware. I did a lot of research on the subject a few years back. o2 is scary stuff. At "fairly normal" pressures it get toxic. Rebreathers running pure o2 aren't exactly useful at more than 20'. No use having a rebreather when you're not breathing anymore.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Boat posted:

This is really morbid, but do you have a link? The post mortems on these types of things are really fascinating, like the one where they opened the pressure chamber door early and one guy got sucked bodily through a gap about an inch and a half wide.

I had the exact same question. I know how a body reacts to a vacuum. How about O2 poisioning.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

82Daion posted:

From reading the reports, it sounded like the blood in his lungs boiled, causing severe edema and death.

I wouldn't call it boiled. Oxygen literally means "acid maker." I'd go with "burned through."

The fact we live on the stuff is pretty scary.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

FatCow posted:

Boost? Ha I did that poo poo NA.

That specific cylinder is 180, #2 and #3 were 120 and 75.

The blow by was so bad it was forcing oil out the closed oil cap.

No, you missed the point. The boost is to overcome the leaky piston rings. You can run another 60 or 80 miles from that thing. If that doesn't work, perhaps a hydrazine shot or two into the gas tank. I promise you it will run...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

EightBit posted:

Where the gently caress you get hydrazine?

Would make for a hell of a failure shot though...

http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/HD...onsiblecare.htm

Seems available to me... I know a chemist or two. I'll see what it would take to get some. ;-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They have rail checkers, that use ultrasound to check for cracks. They're part of normal track maintenance. I know every few years IRM has a car loaded with that gear in to check their rails.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

That would get...boring. Hope that wasn't too far out in the boonies.

Lots of rail life is horrendously boring or monotonous. But that's better for the rail thread. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

First off, paul, OW. Good luck on your recovery.

Splizwarf posted:

As I understand it, they aren't trying to cool it with that stream, they're trying to wash away the loose neutrons being shed by the fuel rods to try and damp the reaction. This is what the water circulation system used to do before it got wrecked.

Here's a good article from a couple days after the quake: http://arstechnica.com/science/news...lear-crisis.ars

You can't "wash away" loose neutrons. That article is hugely simplified in many ways that makes the whole situation seem muddy. And I think it's got the reactor design wrong, but I'll need to double check that. I think the reactors in question are pressurised light water reactors, and the water in the reactor itself never boils. It's used to boil water in a secondary circuit.

The ziconium coating on the fuel rods is used to prevent corrosion. When heated sufficiently, it's failure mode is to start to oxidize, and will pull the oxygen straight out of water. That releases hydrogen. As the core temp goes up, it can even reach temperatures that will disassociate oxygen and hydrogen, without the zirconium sucking up the oxygen. (this was actually a proposed method for generating hydrogen...)

On the bright side, we haven't had a steam explosion.

The water in the reactor is also a moderator. Without the water in the reactor the core will be less reactive. I didn't look at the specifics, but I'm fairly sure the core can't operate with a loss of coolant. Now that doesn't mean it instantly gets cool, as in the operation of the reactor lots of short lived radioactive isotopes are generated. As those decay, more heat is released.

So while the reactor isn't reacting, it can still get hotter! At least for the first few days. This also ties into the "ponds" problem.

The cooling ponds apparently also boiled off all their water. The cooling ponds are used to store the spent fuel rods. No water, means those rods get hotter again, and start to corrode. Viola, more free hydrogen.

You should watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcrLiATLq0

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Geoj posted:

^
I've had an unsprung clutch on my car for 70,000 miles and the transmission (with 130,000 total miles) is fine.

When do you estimate my unsprung clutch is going to cause catastrophic failure?

and my 168,000 mile original clutch in my focus failed too? *boggles* Yes, my original clutch made it 168,000 miles.. and then I sold it. For all I know the buyer is still using that same clutch. it hadn't shown any sign of failure.

The guy treated a syncro, FWD transmisison as a crashbox. yeah, that's gonna break poo poo.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 1, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's funny what people consider "low pressure."

4psi will rip most houses clear off their foundations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I was using an extreme example. But pumping liquid N20 is going to be a 5-800psi pump. :-) I mean, that's low pressure if you're messing with 6000psi tanks of n2 all day long, but it's still amusing to hear it called low pressure.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I should dig up some pictures of the completely failed N2 bottles I've seen.

I am fairly sure there is a industry standard designation of low, medium and high pressure air.

IIRC you go from low pressure to medium pressure at 500psi, and from medium to high at 1800psi. Anything up from there is high pressure.

If I wasn't worried about the consequences, I have a compressor at home that will pump up to 9000 psi...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

look at the edge nearest the gasket. you'll see cracked aluminum. Those disks are usually held in aluminum fingers that come up from the clutch backing plate.

They are all gone. Which explains the mess of aluminum dust too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a motorcycle. you can see the driven gear inside the case there. Offhand I don't know any bikes with quite that many plates.

Yes, airliners have brakes like that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oil is an electrical insulator anyway. why worry about oil on the plugs? :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

oxbrain posted:

I don't remember lowering the front end.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

How about a Horrible mechanic failure:

IMG_20110818_210629.jpg by nerobro, on Flickr

I lost a 1/4" socket wrench, a 6" extention, and a 10mm socket in april. Last year. It's been under my toolbox on the bike, and hidden by the rag I keep under the seat since then.

I found the tool because I went to replace a munged up pilot jet, and balance the carbs.

The bike now idles on all cylinders at all temperatures.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The number of them. There's nothing wrong with them in particular.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm going to suggest something more shocking.

Ponder the fact that there's enough of a demand to have someone MARKET this product. Thank you chrysler.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rujo King posted:

There's something elegantly sublime about a connecting-rod-through-oil-pan picture.
Spare the rod...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rotaries are awesome. And utterly useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine

Read up! And enjoy. They're a lot like steam engines in how backwards and crazy they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

Wankel... something different.

And radial, which is cool too. And completely relavant, even today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_engine

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 8, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://pipeline.corante.com/archive...wont_work_with/

That whole category is fun reading.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sponge! posted:

(I've always wanted to see the carnage of putting about 30ccs of gallium into the oil or transmission fluid of an aluminum block/head engine... That would truly be a horrible metallurgical failure!)
You buy the gallium, I'll buy the motor.

I have three video cameras, we'll get multiple angles of the failure.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well... How about a mostly fenced in back yard. On the side of a rail line. That has already had gallons of oil poured in it?

We couldn't do any more harm than has already been done. The 2 stroke is a no-go, heavy metal vapors are baaaad.

I say we gut the oil filter.. for "science."

Whatever engine we use needs to be an aluminum block. Ideally with steel liners. I hope the pistons would hold up long enough...

Start the thread. I'm in. I'll provide the spot.

And yes, this will need to be a multi-stage project. Starting with the running engine running till destruction. Then a time-lapse of it melting down.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the engien will be outside the frame of a car. I want to see whatever hole develops first.

now I worry about oil providing a barrier to our liquid metal juju-juice.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OneStopShop posted:

Is it okay to post pre-failure pictures?

This needs video on it any time the ignition is turned on.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

we're starting to develop what could be a metal pill.. you drop in the oil filler and wait 3 hrs for a dead motor. .... this is evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I doubt you could get it hot enough to sustain fire while being actively air cooled.

And i wanna see an engine melt down :-)