Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Oh, what? Oh, Becky and I are gonna cancel our weekend yoga class to take our H2's "rock climbing" with Dave and his wife. We even bought the rally lights off of the Hummer aftermarket site so that we'll be more visible. Can't wait!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvLzjzoxgfY

That H2 has seen more off road poo poo then most people have with their "hard core" rigs. Trust me.

Guy goes by Alec W on pirate 4x4, hummer x and jk owners and few other forums.

He took that H2 *EVERYWHERE* and beat the snot out of it, the only thing he broke on it was the tie rods in that one video which is pretty impressive. He's still amused at all the play time it's getting.

I think he's running around with an H3 and a Jeep Rubicon these days. But I've seen pictures and videos of that thing all over the place, Moab, Fordyce/Rubicon and out in Colorado and Wyoming.

Now if the H2 broke a tie rod in a mall parking lot.. that would be funny :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Prelude Gundam posted:

I know it's also old, but still. Anyone know anymore about this possible issue?

Oh and:

Is that a coil spring in the bottom right of photo 2?

Also, yes, I know this was all hosted on fuh2.com and I'm not affiliated with them. No, I don't know if the story is real.

I actually read an article about an H2 or H3 driving around a parking lot and accidentally bumping into the curb, breaking a knuckle, but I can't remember where it was. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Eh. FUH2 has got their own agenda [OMG your hummer is going to kill you.. buy a sensible transportation appliance you brainless clods!!!!].

That white H2 in East LA? I think the driver watched Bad Boys 2 too many times. Ripping through side lots at 40-50mph and hitting a foot and half concrete retaining wall? Yeah that's going to gently caress up a 7000 lb truck with front end independent suspension. Especially in stock configuration. I don't know if people know off road driving but you don't take a full size, jeep or other trail rig and go 40-50 mph over curbs, embankments or poo poo.

This is how you do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbA1N0N7wMU

Well not exactly but slow and easy over obstacles.

If I remember correctly it the h2 was stolen vehicle taken on a joyride at the wee hours of the morning.

As for the cast steering knuckles being an issue....

That's one from my H1, and mine has been jumped, and beat on for over 10 years. No issues. It's not widely different from what's on SUV's these days, including the H2.

If the steering knuckles are an issue on the H2, then it's an issue on most GM truck platforms as there are shared parts on everything from the Silverado up to the Escalade [GM 800]

It's more likely it's an attorney playing the blame game. If my client lost control of their SUV and smashed through a few cars, I'd certainly try to blame it on the car rather than the driver. You mean ball joints and other suspension/steering parts shear and brake on an IS front end? No kidding! :haw:

Even the H1/HMMWV is going to get hosed up on the front end, you can bet there's going to be a busted tie rod and a sheered off ball joint here:

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/11/M1114-HMMWV-Crash-Testing-400547.html

Normal service for all Hummers is a ball joint check at every service interval. Skip service and hit a really hard bump or a collision then, yes you would have a ball joint failure.

Now, nothing is indestructible, I carry a set of "weak point" suspension parts when I go wheeling. In the last few years I've never had to use anything in the kit, but putting 75% of the weight of the vehicle on one wheel, sometimes things give.

Click here for the full 819x614 image.

Most of the hummer stuff I see online is the result of user error. Now if you want talk about mechanical failures, the 6.5 turbo diesel transition for the H1 in the 90's was pretty bad as many of the GM blocks from that era had defects in the #8 cylinder wall causing your new engine to become a boat anchor within 20-30,000 miles.

But it's not a sexy horrible failure, your truck just doesn't start one day, all the cracked block pictures I have from that is pretty boring.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Woo. Exciting. 30%+ failure rate? No wonder GM went to the Duramax.

Before anyone yells at me for white knighting the H2, it has it's flaws, and I think it's a porker [other than width, it's longer and taller than my h1, they hide it with black body cladding on the rockers and roof line ]. The H3 with the adventure package [front and rear eaton lockers] I like though. Most of the dumb H2 poo poo online is due to operator error, not so much the truck.

The next time I head out to the shop I'll take pictures of the few Duramax engines we blew up in the race truck [including a few crispy wire harnesses] for content.

My god that's a lot of :words:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

InitialDave posted:

It's entirely possible that they just had a batch of duff knuckles that went to the H2 production line - all it'd need would be an incorrect heat treatment to make an otherwise "right" part failure prone.

That's entirely possible. I've gotten parts dropped shipped that were buggered shipped right after a plant Q/C.

A forklift palette of H1/HMMWV differentials with Eaton E-lockers installed. 12 received as a group order. Of course the last 2 were mine, and one of them had a spider gear with a few missing teeth right from the plant :psyduck: I wish I caught that before installing it in the truck. Not a big deal to replace, just sucks having to install and uninstall and reinstall again.

Oh and I got one crossmember with the freaking retaining spacer sleeve for a bolt hole that was welded in crooked. Someone must have fallen asleep on the jig that day.

UAW local 5, built with American pride :swoon:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 20, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

scapulataf posted:

Who the gently caress would do that to a 2wd pick up anyways?
Really, whats the point?
Bling rings? Maybe, but what appear to be "mud tires" and the driving lights?
Is this some how the american equivalent of a Type R sticker and big exhaust/spoilers on a base model civic?

Pre-runners. A few of our desert race trucks are 2wd, saves on weight.

We converted our 4 wheel drive H1 race truck to 2wd and it took 700 lbs out of the front end [removed differential, transfer case, a few other odds and ends] and put in front steering knuckles from a Trophy truck.

The only thing 4wd buys you in desert racing is being able to breeze through silt.

But back to the picture, it's expensive stuff to do right as someone else pointed out. You can't heavily modify the suspension of the truck and still eave a bunch of OEM parts in place and hope it stays together :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

Normally I would say "poo poo happens", but whoever was pulling him out didn't know what the gently caress they were doing and should have never agreed/volunteered to do it.

Everyone was an idiot in that scenario. That's more of an user issue than a mechanical failure.

It's also the reason if I pull someone out of some poo poo, *THEY* hook it up and take full responsibility for the results. Especially if it's mud or water, let them get wet, I'll sit in the cab (Unless it's a really good friend)

I do however have enough common sense to not recover people from downhill or pull perpendicular to the vehicle :haw:

Here's another user failure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

This was last year in Azusa Canyon I think.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ExtremeODD posted:

Augh I hate when those cheap chairs fail. Ive broken 4 of those damned things over the years (Im 150lbs) one broke in a simmilar manner, one had the arms (which attached the back to the bottom) fail and one just snapped in loving half.

At my workplace, we gave away 100 home depot brand Herman Miller knock offs a few months ago.

We usually use Herman Miller chairs, since they have a 10 year warranty, they come on site to service and repair chairs [usually adjustment knobs or broken arms] at no additional cost.

We had a boom period where we had to hire like 100 guys out of the blue and setup workstations. Work decided to save money and go for the office depot chairs*.

Half of which snapped in half with light use, things like the rivets and screws shearing off causing employees falling on their rear end or chairs falling apart.

And it's not hambeasts sitting on them, it's tiny asian women and thin guys.

We wound up replacing all the chairs with medium range Herman Millers.

I can't really justify dropping a grand on a chair, but I went and got the Costco $299 chair which is great for home use. Has the same warranty as well.

*-Home Depot passed the buck to the manufacturer who gave us a big finger claiming we abused them. :mad:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 8, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

deviant. posted:

...and you just know that an inspections station is far more likely to bust your balls for having a lowered vehicle. :rolleyes:

Or you got something like Arizona where if it's got 4 wheels and a seat its street legal.

I just got back from the Parker 425 race and... :psyduck:

There were loving Rhinos driving around with license plates, oh and things like sand rails being street legal as well :haw:

On the other hand, I heard one province in Canada got sick of jacked up rigs and lowered cars which has the MOT thinking of just automatically rejecting anything not with OEM suspension as not street legal. I think it's New Burnswick.

The truck modifications that piss me off is ones that are jacked up so high on lift that they have to lose 4 wheel drive because the front shaft is too steep of an angle to link to the front diff :doh:

I drove a borrowed lifted H1 on the way back from Arizona last weekend. It had 2" body and 2" coil spring spacer with 42" tires. It looked neat, but.. the steering is mushy, anything with big rear end tires and suspension lifts are going to go through steering parts like crazy. The guy who owned the monster H1 goes through a set of idler and pitman arms every year.

I'll go through my Parker pictures and see if I can find any carnage, I was sitting in the pits and had a buggy and a few trucks scoot by with missing roofs, and no fiber glass left on the body. Hell our race truck cracked an a-arm.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The best way to open a transfer case is to saw it open from the inside :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

nubie7357 posted:

How does that happen? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of transfer cases. Did something inside break and start spinning? I'm guessing there's no saw that could actually do that and no reason to do so, though I've seen a lot of stuff in this thread that was done for no reason, so... WTF? :psyduck:

Replace the anemic 6.2L Diesel in an HMMWV with a turbo Cummins 5.9L with twice the HP/Torque :haw: The old NPG-218 t-case wasn't meant to handle that type of torque and the chain started tearing apart turning it into a chainsaw.

It was replaced with an Atlas t-case [gear driven] after the picture was taken.

Crazed_Capybara_Rider posted:

This is how you break a transfer case

:psyduck: So what failed first? The diff? Did that happen at highway speeds? I'm guessing the diff exploded, then seized causing the chain/planetary to brake in the t-case, grenading it and loving the transmission in the process.

Kill-9 posted:

I've seen transfer cases go before but that takes it to new heights(lows?). I hope you weren't miles from a road like I've been when I've detonated diffs. You can limp home with only one diff. Hard to go anywhere without a whole transfer case.

I had a 242-HD poo poo the bed the first time I was wheeling out in pismo beach. It was already showing signs of problems when I was driving up there on the PCH, my t-case kept dropping from H to N. Usually it's worn shifting fork pads. One of the planetarys was shot and was grinding on the shift fork gear and wouldn't stay locked in.

The only gear that would work was Low Lock. :doh: driving from Pismo to Santa Maria where I could fix the truck would normally take 20-30 minutes. But stuck at 10mph and taking back roads.... sucked.

Wound up getting a refurb unit installed since I was stuck away from home, and took the left overs to be rebuilt as a spare.

Never got around to it but I sold the old t-case to a friend who grenaded his in MOAB, so he put together his old t-case and my old tcase and wound up with a complete unit.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 18, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ab0z posted:

As expensive as those things are, you'd think that they would be more careful with them.

I know there was a recovery a few years back at Voiseys Bay (One of the worlds largest mineral finds lately) Labrador of a Cat D11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_D11

The operator decided to cross a frozen pond or lake with one as a short cut and drowned as the dozer crashed through the ice about 1/3 of the way across.

It wasn't until spring that Inco was able to recover the tractor and the operator. Given the cost of the massive scale mining equipment, it would be cheaper to recover and rebuild then have insurance buy a new multi-million dollar piece of equipment.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Skyssx posted:

It's like saying "What the gently caress is a Ferrari?"

There's people like that. My dentist told me stories of people mistaking his Ferrari for "One of those new mustangs :haw:"

:ughh:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Fucknag posted:

It's just the Vette's door doesn't look particularly pushed in to have been hit that hard. I know, plastic car and all, it just looks weird.

I'm pretty impressed with how the vette handled that collision, especially if its at 35-45 mph for a side impact from a towncar.. that's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Lugnut chat:

I noticed most of the places you go these days make you sign the bottom of the workorder stating you will bring the car back in 20 or so miles of driving or retorque the wheels yourself.

I went to one tire shop years ago where the owner would not let any car leave until he or one of his service writers used a torque wrench to set every lug right in the parking lot.

The response from the customers and confidence it gave me caused me to buy two sets of tires from the place.

That I wouldn't mind a bit.

Big O-Tires working on my humvee inspired my avatar.

I told them the control arms for the alignment had to be torqued to 300 ft/lbs. They said no problem.

They just didn't do it and I almost lost a whole wheel/control arm assembly driving around 2 weeks later, I was lucky to catch it before the bolts backed completely out.

I was not a happy camper.

The first thing I picked up after that was a set of PROTO torque wrenches ranging from inch pounds up to a 3/4 drive monster 300ft lb model.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 15, 2013