Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Bingo. Some sort of backfire through the intakes because it was running nitrous (can't remember the specifics) that blew the airbox out and the tank off.

I remember this one from way back. It didn't blow his hand off and it wasn't a piston. It was a vapor explosion (fuel or nitrous, can't remember) and what you see is his glove exiting stage left.

There is an interview with him floating around on the net after the explosion and he continued to race the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

You're looking for the truck trying to unstick a Disco. The guy that owns the Disco posts on a popular Rover site. That poor Ford went home with its tail tucked. Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI

I've done that to a 3/4 ton GMC repo truck while trying to pull up Azalea bushes. Quite easy to do if you're not paying attention.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Rule of thumb for haz-mat incidents: If you cannot extend your thumb and cover the entire scene, you are too close.

Cops use the donut holes. Can't see the entire incident through the hole of the donut? Too close!

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Wasn't there a time when you matched the colours opposite to each other or something? My dad has done that too, and it looks like most of the people who have done it are older :shrug:

Prior to the mid-50s, nearly all american cars were 6V POSITIVE ground. The 12V Negative Ground switchover happened from '53-'56. In theory, you could properly jumpstart a 1950 Ford with a 1957 Ford by putting red on red on one car and red on black on the other.

Source: I own a positive ground car! No I don't. Thought it was, but it is not. I HAVE owned a positive ground car though!

Team140 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 31, 2013

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

kastein posted:

This is why I love the 4.0, I can do utterly retarded poo poo to them and they just keep on going. They might not make much power or get very good fuel mileage while doing it, but they are very difficult to break.

I had a similar experience and justified love for the Ford 300ci I-6.

Way back in time before dinosaurs - I mean cell phones - A couple of friends and I went tubing in Munson, FL. A good 40 miles from home. My steed of choice was a 1971 Ford F100 2WD with a 3" body lift and 36" Ground Hawgs on it. I know, I know - I was 18, shutup! Around the halfway mark on the trip home, I noticed it had no power as we were trying to make it over a bridge. Looked down at the temp gauge and it was pegged. As long as I can make it to the peak of the bridge, we can coast into the gas station at the other end and I can top the radiator off.

We reach the station, I get the hose and turn the water on. The hose is six feet long and the radiator is 9 feet away. Here I am standing outside a gas station filling up my radiator by squeezing the hose just right to get a strong enough stream to arc into the radiator without spraying everywhere. Each time a customer came up, I'd have to pinch off the hose to let them by. Try calling for my parents or friends but nobody is answering cause it's a Saturday and they've all got stuff to do. Truck is still hot, but full of water now, let's see if we can baby it home.

We made it about 5 miles further down the road. As soon as I turned on Creighton Road, everything was uphill. No way we could make it so I pulled over to the side of the road, opened the hood and let it cool with the hot Florida July air. After probably 30 minutes, I tried to start it and it finally spun over and started. All of this time it was overheating, the sluggish start was getting progressively worse until it wouldn't spin over at all on Creighton. We hauled rear end up the hill so we could get to flat ground ASAP. I babied it as much as I could. Short bursts of power followed by a long coast at idle to try to get to the next gas station that might have water. Every one we had stopped at up until this point had no water.

We finally hit the perfect store. The clerk behind the counter just had an experience with overheating and gave us the water hose they stored in the store for employees only. I left the truck running, stuffed the hose in the radiator as far as it would go and cranked the water up.

The truck was hurt. At idle it had fallen to stumbling, sheet metal was squeaking like it hadn't squeaked before. It was as if it was breathing its last breaths of life.

Then it happened. We were sitting on a picnic table talking about god knows what when the engine let out an epic clunk or clank or twang - it's a hard sound to describe. It was so forceful the entire truck shook when it happened. I ran over to check out the gauges and the temp gauge was falling like a rock! I threw the hose out of the radiator, called for everyone to jump on board and made our final run toward the house. We were 3.5 miles from home. We can do this if we work the lights and traffic doesn't mess us up.

I started out easy and calm. Using the same technique as before. Short bursts of speed with a long idle filled coast back down to keep things cool. We got lucky at the light at Palafox. We arrived just in time to be the last one through the left turn light. Palafox was pretty uneventful. It was the longest leg of this part of the journey. A nice, straight shot south. We were just about to make the light at Airport Blvd, but it turned red. I looked down and the temp needle was pegged.

DEFCON 3 PEOPLE

I immediately yank the wheel and turn right on red at Airport Blvd and assess the next light ahead. We have green lights but I really want to turn left and there's oncoming traffic. Screw it, blast through it straight.

The next light is a T junction. Either left or right turn. I have to go left. If I go right I'll never make it back home with this truck. Light turns yellow as I approach. poo poo.

Clutch in to prepare for the turn and the engine dies as the light turns red. poo poo.

DEFCON 2 OHSHITOHSHIT

I'm in a giant 20 year old truck with a seized engine blasting through a left hand turn at 30+MPH. What's a guy gotta do? Dump the clutch and hope these 36" monster tires have enough to spin the engine over. So I did. The tires slid on the pavement for probably 20-30 feet. Felt like we were going to stop completely when the engine burst back to life. I look ahead at the unprotected left turn into my neighborhood I was going to have to make and it looked like the start of a Nascar race ahead. As far as I could see, side by side cars headed my direction that would block my turn before I got there.

DEFCON 1 THE RECKONING

I reckon at this point, I should make a shortcut. The truck is fighting me tooth and nail at this point. It just wants to die and I'm playing god by not letting that happen. I yank the wheel to the left into the neighborhood next to mine. As I clutch in to make the turn, the engine dies yet again. Not on my watch. I pull the same stunt as before and the engine roars back to life after the tires wailed in agony. There's TWO MORE turns between me and my house - both in the neighborhood off of the main roads. I got this. I make the first turn without using the clutch. The truck sounds like a diesel now. Clattering and puffing away. We come barreling down on the last turn before my house. It's a left, but I'll risk the ticket for running the stop sign if I can just. get. home.

I reach for the brakes, preparing to downshift and turn left when off to the right I see essentially this woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpx6o4gvmXE&t=136s

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I stop so I don't T-Bone the old lady. The truck is dead. Toast. Kaput. We push it the final 300 feet or so into our driveway. I pop the hood and the heat is so intense I can't get close enough to it to close the hood again. After I took mom's car to take my friends home, I came back, looked at the truck and spritzed some Mt. Dew on the exhaust. It boiled. This was nearly an hour after it was parked.

The next morning on the way out the door to work, I decided to see if it would spin over on a whim. It not only spun over, but it started and ran smooth as a top. I took it to work the next day after replacing the water pump, and every day for the next 4 months. It used a lot of oil, but ran strong. When I eventually tore it down, the cylinder walls were worn to .045-.050, the head gasket was in ridiculous shape, the head had 19 cracks in it (a record, according to the head builder where I worked), the pistons and rings had become one, and the crank was warped. But... I drove it into the garage where I pulled the engine.

So. That's my bulletproof inline six story.

Team140 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 26, 2013

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Do horrible electrical failures count?

Prepped my Wrangler to be painted at my place. Degreased the exterior, under the hood, sanded everything, etc. Jumped in it to head to where I'm painting it and it just dies at the end of my road.

Check fuel, check spark, (it's there but weak and yellow). Stumped, I checked the distributor, battery voltage, started wondering if I flooded the ECU with water. I decided to grab the coil and bench test it. Yep. I think it's done!

EDIT: Forgot to add a pic of the finished project. It's been 20 years since I've held a spray gun. It's got a couple of minor issues, but it's a fantastic reminder of why I hate body work and painting cars.

Team140 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 16, 2013

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

I once helped a friend remove an O2 sensor from the downpipe on his 2nd gen RX-7. He brought it to me because he couldn't get it loose with a standard wrench.

"No problem, I've got an O2 socket. You should invest in one. They're handy!"

My particular O2 sensor was an impact O2 sensor socket. Plenty of room for a breaker bar, so I slipped it on and... holy poo poo it won't budge! We both tugged on it and did nothing but flex the 3' Craftsman breaker bar. I grabbed a floor jack handle and used it as a cheater handle for the breaker bar. We both put everything we had into it and... SNAP! The O2 socket shattered.

As I try to comprehend WTF is going on and wonder if the O2 sensor is welded in place, I look at the sensor up close and personal and realize the O2 sensor bung in the downpipe is not round, but is hex and the O2 sensor JUST happened to line up exactly in the with the bung so my socket went past the sensor and we were trying to wrench the welded in bung loose!

I went and got my cheap-rear end HF O2 socket, placed it at the correct height on the sensor, and I accidentally loosened it when I put the ratchet on it. It was apparently not much tighter than finger tight. :doh:

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

Crank and such look pretty good for a 53 year old engine.

FYI: that D2TE casting number on the main caps indicates it's a 1972 casting. I used to have to eat, sleep, and breathe those old part numbers.

EDIT: http://www.mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Found this on my son's car while replacing the front brakes. Total CV failure on a 2001 Volvo V70.

And a bonus video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQI5zE1cAJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I guess your son is the people we share a road with AND the PO we hate all rolled into one? ;)

Yep. I mean look at that brake dust buildup!