Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PainterofCrap posted:

And with Plymouths, too. During the rebuild of my 383 in 1987, I checked the main bolt and connecting rod nut torques at least three times before buttoning up the pan. Four months later, it threw the rod on #3 after the bearing cap nut worked loose. Apparently, I was supposed to pull the pan & re-torque them again after the first 1000 miles. Which is odd, since they don't do that at the factory.

Then again, it could've been my cheap-rear end Pep Boys torque wrench.

I would have used some loctite, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

inertial mass

The redundant redundancy in this statement makes my brain hurt.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
If you're talking about the energy of a moving object, its usually momentum or kinetic energy; I've never seen the term inertial mass. You can't have inertia without mass.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Poing posted:

Ah, that makes much more sense now!

Here's a worn out brake rotor as a prize!!!!

This wasn't being driven around, right? :wtc:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Cop posted:

Well, she just got it a few days before. Brand new with 2 miles and she's 2 month pregnant so she had some doctor appointments.

Yeah, if the car lost oil pressure straight from the factory something was broken already. Good thing Hyundai/Kia cars come with that warranty, everyone that I know that owns one has needed it for major mechanical failures.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

I just find it hard to believe they make solid pieces of machined metal that large :psyduck:

Imagine the block it ran in :aaaaa:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Lotus is too close to Lucas for me to ever drive one :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Ola posted:

Now, for something truly horrible, there's not much compared to the Byford Dolphin accident. Thankfully I suppose, the pictures from the investigation does not seem to have made it to the internet.

Dx are saturation divers working in the North Sea. They are on the surface inside a pressure chamber. This is so they can go down and work at 90 meters depth every day without waiting for decompression between dives in the diving bell. (they decompress for many days after their shift) Their bodies are saturated at 9 atmospheres, hence the term saturation diving. So when one of the tenders accidentally (this is still disputed) loosened the mechanism holding the bell, you might see what's coming. Now, you might have heard a debunk of being thrown out into space and exploding. Apparently a differential of just one atmosphere isn't enough to make our eyes pop out. But 9 atmospheres is plenty. I'll let Wikipedia summarize:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

Lots of divers have died in the North Sea, many under much slower and more painful conditions than this.

As your soul might need some recuperation, skip to 3:00 to see Heston Blumenthal make high altitude chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9WAIRgh2Y

Probably faster than this thing's fate, but the description makes it sound similar in nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjZ7Cb5WDLM&feature=player_detailpage#t=107s

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
CRT tv's may "work" for 20 years, but the picture gets so dim over such a period (unless you bought one with some ungodly amount of getters in the tube) that it becomes very difficult to watch.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Nerobro posted:

perhaps a hydrazine shot or two into the gas tank. I promise you it will run...

:stare: Where the gently caress you get hydrazine?

Would make for a hell of a failure shot though...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Landerig posted:

Welp, went to do a transmisison fluid and filter change on my "new" 92 Dakota 4x4 to deal with some late shifting, dropped the pan and...

Oh god...

That glob near the middle of the pan is more shredded metal held together by goo that I assume used to be ATF.

I lost reverse on it last week. I predict a transmission rebuild is in my near future. I'm just hoping changing the fluid and filter will buy me some time.

You mean glass shards, right :smug:?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Ephphatha posted:

At least the stain is gone! :pseudo:

What about the hole in my driveway?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

The EGR valve hooks up with the intake instead of going directly into the cylinder, causing that carbon buildup.

That's not from EGR, that's from the PCV venting oily mist into the intake.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wish, my MS3 is turbocharged and direct injected, and still has both EGR and PCV gunking the hell out of the intake valves. I really don't want to know what mine look like.

How does my low-tech Jeep 4.0 get away with no EGR? :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

wallaka posted:

No emissions compliance.

It came from the factory like that though, I did not chop it out. In 2000.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Imagining the noise that must have made makes my teeth hurt. :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Geoj posted:

You don't pay employees to sit around. If you must have the meeting, schedule it before or after the shift and before or after everyone clocks in or out.

Must be nice working in Chinalovely third-world hellhole of a sweatshop!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

I'll cap the coolant lines and wear a jacket thank you very much.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

bidikyoopi posted:

When you get to this size, why not make a giant turbine? If it's running at one speed for hours and hours it has to be more efficient to have a turbine instead of a reciprocating piston engine.

These engines can be run off of the thick sludge left from oil distillation that noone else wants, which is cheaper than the cleaner fuel required for turbine engines.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Geoj posted:

Does that have to be heated to decrease viscosity or does the engine use some kind of hammer of the gods injection system to ram it into the cylinder at room temperature?

According to wikipedia, that poo poo has to be heated before it can be used for fuel. I wonder how much energy is wasted doing that, or if there is some fancy heat capture system that keeps it hot with the engine exhaust?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Phy posted:

That is not fuel.

That is the poo poo with which you patch your trireme.

I'm sure that that engine could use your trireme as fuel...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Funny enough, my lawnmower ate it's head-gasket just today. I feared it was a blown rod, as the symptoms where the rip cord seized up half way through pulling it, but there wasn't any metal bits in the oil, and when the head came off so did a chunk of head gasket.

So either I tore the head gasket off and it's throwing me off, or the rod is bad, but I can't imagine it is, as the piston moves freely now that the head is off.

Would I be at least semi right?

Maybe you flooded it so bad it hydrolocked and your puny human arms can't pull hard enough to break something? The gasket was so old that removing the head was the finishing blow?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

DELETED posted:

Those usually have an air vane governor, so the air being pushed by the flywheel pushes on a little arm connected to the carb. The faster the engine goes, the more it pushes the air vane so it feeds less fuel and keeps the RPMs stable and limited. If they get sticky or gunked up then the engine will rev wildly or stall under load.

My experience is that these just make the throttle oscillate. Even under load. So you have to push while its high, then wait, push while its high, wait, etc.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I was "gifted" a mower that would barely run and stall in grass. It had a foam sponge air filter that was clogged with oil and sand and a carb that was just as filthy. I didn't care if it worked or not so I took the filter off and pulled the starter. It idles lovely as hell. I didn't care if the mower ran or not so I poured some sea foam right down the intake. The whole mower lurched as it fired good for the first time in who knows how long, so I keep dumping it in. Engine dies when I stop feeding it sea foam. So, I cleaned out the air filter and mowed the yard on a mixture of 50% sea foam and gas. It only smoked for about half the yard. Smoked is a polite way to put it; the thick white cloud that came out of that thing drifted across my neighbor's yard before dissipating.

tl;dr: got a free mower that was so neglected that sea foam kept it from bogging down

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

That's not how you move a thread on, this is:

Hey, look at this tool who is crying on the kia forums about his unmaintained kia engine is crap and Toyota is sooo much better.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2005-rio/33188-federal-suit-interference-engine.html

warning: I only found this image by GISing "interference engine" kia-forums.com is pretty slow, and rather poo poo.

Threads like that make me believe in karma for a brief moment. That guy is such a tool it's hard to imagine how he got his car to 90,000 miles.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

sandoz posted:

This WAS a Ford 9-inch.

I thought that Ford 9 inch axles were regarded as rather weak for their size, due to being out of production for a long time and their metallurgy just being poor. Oh well, time to build an 8.8 for your jeep, right?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

So you broke her car. Got it.

Good thing this wasn't recently or you would have gotten sued.

The car was already toast, the oil rings were probably gone, hence the immediate smoking. Don't get your panties in a wad.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

Someone has a broken sarcasm detector.

That poo poo happens. I refuse to work on family computers because I always get blamed for any and all future problems.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Breast Pussy posted:

a friend just shared this picture and it would fit nicely here. this is what happens when your mechanic insists that you need a new strut mount but you decide not to listen to them.

Edit: rehosted derp

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
That is far too long to patch.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

JD Brickmeister posted:

Sorry - that would only work for people 25 and above. Perhaps 22 or 23, but that's where I would draw the line. People younger than that literally have a reduced ability to cognitively assess risk related to things that might happen to them in the future. So you'd end up with a LOT of kids with rusty metal spikes in their chests, as well as giving them a reason to wear all kinds of Mad Max armor when they drove.

Where's the problem?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Cigarette butt in a combustion chamber?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shroomie posted:

Protip: Don't change the fluid in your rear end when you're hungover.

I stared dry heaving as soon as I got the cover off.

I'm glad that I don't have that genetic disposition to barf when I smell molybdenum disulfide. Gear oil has a distinct smell, but it's not :barf:-inducing by any means. How many AI posters get rumbly in the guts whenif they service their differentials?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Tell me that the Metro was towed...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

My alignment specs after raising it 2" so the swingarm would stop chopping through the body were 9 degrees camber each side and 1.75 degrees toe in each side. Good times.

My laptop poo poo the bed so I've only got my phone, any way to mobile upload a picture of an E30 shock that decided it'd rather punch through the fenderwell instead? And I caused a mechanical failur at work today.....mis pressed a u joint. Didn't know you can shoot needle bearings out the backside of the cap!

imgur.com has a mobile version that works quite well on my Incredible.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Oh cool, I was waiting for an update on that runaway engine.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

Ford: "You abused the vehicle because you are an off-road newb. Tough luck."

I particularly like the straw man argument about if the frame was stiffer it would donkey kick and cause handling issues, and how at least the spring purchases didn't fail, as well as the implication that this area was designed to fail this way in order to save you from killing yourself or having to walk home.

Once again, for shame Ford. You treat your SVO/SVT customers like poo poo time and time again.

So how many factory vehicles could you drive down that trail at that speed and not rip the axles right off? There was a quote of $500-800 for a repair to that, which isn't really that much. I'd have to spend far more than that fixing (or replacing) just about anything else I drove at 80+ mph over that obstacle.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

How can Ford have released a motor that had so many problems that step 1 of the recalls (over 40 individual items) was "remove cab from vehicle"? (I'm talking about the 02-ish 6.0L diesels). How could they have accidentally put a cruise control switch on the master cylinder that allows brake fluid to pass though it resulting in trucks catching on fire after they have been switched off? (96 through mid 2000s light trucks and most cars) How could they have put the wrong oil (maybe, there never was a real answer) in thousands of Probes back in the mid 90s causing them to need to have heads replaced at their 3rd or 4th oil change interval? How could they produce millions of heads for the modular motors over the ourse of several YEARS with insufficient spark plug thread depth?

How did ANY of these issues get past "a company who probably did extensive r&d"? I don't have that answer, but they all did. None of these are even up for argument, as they are all very well known issues and/or published recalls.

None of this is even unique to Ford. It happens to all major manufactures who we have to presume "probably did extensive r&d" as well.

So, everyone fucks up, but man gotta hate on Ford because going 80+ over 18" bumps caused a repair bill of LESS THAN $1000. Jesus dude get over it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The tip doesn't look too bad, just got some dirt on it. Hit it with some wd40 and get that crap off of it and it should be good. Now, if the rotor was that dirty, maybe the gasket around the cap was bad?

Also, the spark plugs in that thing must have hair-thin electrodes that are more carbon than steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

This truck I just bought was missing pretty badly...

Best I can figure no one wanted to get the plug out, so they just left it in...and this is the result.

Let me guess, V8 in a GM rwd vehicle, plugs right next to firewall?