Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I saw an E30 that was almost exactly like that. He brought it into the mechanic because it was "floaty". The entire front subframe was disconnected from the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Yeah, if you look closely you can see the strut tower poking out. Must've been really hauling rear end.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My friend blew up his Evo X. His timing chain stretched at around 30k miles, resulting in this.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

This was posted on FB by an acquaintance.. "Driven gear broke in driveshaft. FWD STi for the time being."

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

The Rocket Salad posted:

The biggest failure of the E30 is those stupid plastic trim rings around the door handles.

My friend bought an E30 at work. I pulled up in mine and opened my door and looked down and saw the plastic trim ring broken in half and had a moment of panic before I realized it was his, and not mine.

Beach Bum posted:

I have an intact set :smug:

Just one set? :smug: :smug:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Beach Bum posted:

I only have one E30 coupe, I don't take more than I need. :colbert:

Only one? :smug: :smug:

ACEofsnett posted:

If you want to talk about horrible E30 failures, lets talk subframe bushings and center support bearings.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Good god, that is high pucker factor. Which rubber line failed?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not necessarily a mechanical faliure, but a friend doing One Lap of America in their FRS just had a puncture of their floor somehow.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I use a torque wrench every time I put my wheels on, and make sure to check them again after driving them. It's not really worth loving around with.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
VW/Audi we can assume?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Every E30 325es/is should have a medium case LSD no? They do in North America anyways.

Correct. Medium case LSDs are relatively common in the US.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have never had an issue with the wheel bolts. It really is not that big of a deal, and if you can't manage to line up 4 or 5 holes on the hub of a car, I don't think you should be working on cars. It's really not a big issue at all.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Isn't running diesels out of gas a generally bad thing? I think my dad told me that a long time ago, but have never really substantiated it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I apparently ran something through the snowblower that I wasn't supposed to.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

EightBit posted:

I don't have much experience with deep rust, but that doesn't look like just surface rust, man.

That's just surface rust.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This coolant pipe is under the intake on a BMW M42 motor. It's loving stupid.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

kastein posted:

Almost all military/aerospace stuff I've seen or gotten surplus has been 100% white MIL-W-22759 + MIL-W-27500 with a few other kinds for flavor.

From what I know this is largely due to the requirement for non-PVC wiring.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Hahah. Oopsy. I bet everyone was glad the motor didn't blow up!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

BMWs with larger than stock swaybars that get tracked will rip the mount right out of the body.

Fixed that for you.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Collateral Damage posted:

I deal with lovely software all day and I wish I could have a full time job working with hardware.

I deal full time with lovely hardware and it's.... not bad.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

corn in the fridge posted:

Apparently it weighs 2.4 pounds. That seems way too heavy to use comfortably as a ratchet.

So don't buy it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Friend posted this broken flywheel on FB.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Yet more failures from Facebook.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

jamal posted:

From 2 minutes on summit racing I'm going to guess that is a ford engine and a moroso pan.

Correct. This came out of a Panoz Esperante that the guy races. I believe the flywheel I posted earlier came from that car as well.

*edit

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cojawfee posted:

At least that's not as bad as an issue with the engine of I think the M5. There are ports that run through the entire engine for some sort of emissions thing that eventually fill up with carbon and get clogged. This does't really affect performance but it does pop up a code in the ECU. The only way to clear the code is to take the engine apart and run a pipe cleaner through all the ports to clear them.

IIRC this was the E39 M5 and only was an issue if you didn't regularly flog the car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Aren't most BMW LSDs clutch type?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
A friends FRS with forced induction. The FB post said 19 lbs of boost.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BloodBag posted:

Goddamn, I think we all take our automotive knowledge for granted sometimes. I'd just whip the door card off and prop the window assembly up with a block of wood if I was so hard up I couldn't afford a new regulator, FFS. I see so much of this poo poo in the lovely ghetto I live in.

Poor folks have poor ways

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
20 cylinders, 8.3L, 595 horsepower. Hell yeah slow small cars.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Is that rotor cracked?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think Linus does poo poo the wrong way most of the time, but he at least does it the interesting way. Like would you want to watch a dull boring technician at a Mercedes dealer do an engine swap with $10K worth of Snap-On tools and all the Mercedes parts, tools and documentation you could dream of, or would you rather watch Inch Dickman slam a lovely 350 into a 49 Chevy. . .

Definitely not the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Google image search thinks this is a gun.