Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STR
May 12, 2006

I thought I was a nice jester

MetaJew posted:

Ebay JDM grounding kit?

It's the premium ebay amp kit. Coupled with the top of the line ebay battery tie down kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STR
May 12, 2006

Ah man... I still can't believe nobody died in that, saw the original video on TV years ago. At least Diamond had good safety practices....

Also "intense sucking power"

STR
May 12, 2006

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

"Running" Starion engine guts spotted.

STR
May 12, 2006

Pretty tame, but I don't think I've ever had a motor mount do this before.

My car is no longer a 4 wheeled vibrator.

STR
May 12, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sweet jesus. The only things that let me know that used to be a bike are the battery and chain.

I see the chain. I see a couple of wires. I can't find the battery in that mess.

STR
May 12, 2006

hippynerd posted:

Yep. I dont remember it being wet, but I think they launched at the end of the runway over 70mph. It looks like it was just 3 years ago.

FHP Accident Report - FHP thought the impact occurred at 120 mph, and found ~193 ft of skid marks before the car left the pavement.

If I had kids, I don't care how responsible they are, they sure as gently caress ain't driving a 500hp BMW, especially to a party. A Mercedes 240D would be a bit safer, methinks.

(edit: the kid was driving his dad's brand new M5 after leaving a party)

STR fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 2, 2011

STR
May 12, 2006

FatCow posted:

Melted all 4 pistons and I think burnt some valves a bit. How in gods name did I drive an hour home on this.

What kind of car was that in?

STR
May 12, 2006

Revolvyerom posted:

My old 300ZX (not the sexy generation) did that to me when the pin backed itself off the rotor, allowing it to cease rotating. The result? Unburnt gas pumped straight into the hot exhaust, by route of the turbo housing.

I seriously thought my engine was going to be in more than one piece, judging by how it sounded when it went. Just a cartoon-level of peeled muffler.

My F-150 had a kill switch on the drivers side kickpanel installed by the previous owner. I.. guess they meant it to be an anti-theft device, except it was pretty visible and I'd bump it with my foot from time to time.

Well, it was carbureted. And the switch cut power to the ignition system. I learned really quick that it was a good idea to put it in neutral and let the engine stop spinning before turning the switch back on. Peeled the muffler apart just like that photo, and I just about shat myself.

STR
May 12, 2006

That had to make a lovely sound.

STR
May 12, 2006

jamal posted:

That had to make one hell of a racket when it let go...

STR
May 12, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I'm trying to figure out what causes the flash of light on the face of the water heater from the view of it popping at 2:10.

If you look close, there's 2 sparks. And there's also 2 heaters on your typical electric water heater. Looks like they wired power directly to the heaters.

240 can make a decent spark.

STR
May 12, 2006

Marux posted:

So that the average car owner can have another warning light to ignore?

Every TPMS-equipped car one of my family members has owned has always had the TPMS light on. On the first car he insisted it was broken, but the next 2 cars have been the same way.

This is the same guy that drove 50,000 miles without an oil change though, and just tossed a quart of oil in when the oil light started flicking.

I know we recently rented a U-Haul van (it was brand new with 2,500 miles, it hadn't been abused too much yet) and the TPMS light was on.. yet when I checked the tires, all were at the pressure recommended by the door sticker. I'll stick with the gauge I keep in my glove box, thanks.

STR
May 12, 2006

I'm not entirely sure sounding is supposed to be done like that.

+ 10,000 RPM Dremel =

STR
May 12, 2006

jamal posted:

here's something interesting, final drive on a TSX:

Wheel hop while dumping the clutch at 6000 rpm?

STR
May 12, 2006

lazer_chicken posted:

On some engines a leaky valve cover gasket can fill the spark plug holes with oil.

This. When I did the plugs on my car 3 out of 4 had oil on the insulator. Any engine that has spark plugs that go through the valve cover will have grommets or o-rings on the spark plug tubes, and they leak when they get old.

Fixing it requires pulling the valve cover and swapping the seals, I changed mine (plus the valve cover gasket) in about 15 minutes.

STR
May 12, 2006

As if the crushed roof isn't a good indicator.

STR
May 12, 2006

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I'm glad they actually used PPE, but foam on a simple car fire? Must be nice to have money to waste.

I thought they used foam due to the chances of magnesium burning in a car fire?

STR
May 12, 2006

Timing belts are indeed considered to be basic maintenance (on cars that use them), though many people either ignore them or don't bother learning what maintenance is supposed to be done. They don't need to be looked after nearly as much as, say, oil changes and air filters, and if he's used to driving newer cars, he may not have owned a car long enough to worry about it before. Or he's just been lucky.

The owner's manual of every car with a timing belt should have a service interval specified. But that would require actually opening the manual. Depending on the car, it should be changed anywhere from 50k-120k miles and/or 4-10 years. Most cars on the market now have a manufacturer-recommended interval of 90-120k.

Hopefully it's not an interference engine. And tell your brother that it's not a shop's responsibility to hold his hand.

STR fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 1, 2011

STR
May 12, 2006

grover posted:

It's not just an Italian thing, I've taken shits in trains like this in the US, too. No attempt to hide it, no flush lever, just a poop chute- you can look down and see the ties going past. Bizarre that it could still be legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFqJ13_YclA#t=73s

I was on Amtrak twice this year - the toilets drained into a tank, I believe. Definitely not onto the ground, I took a dump while the train was on an overnight layover in San Antonio and it didn't wind up on the ground - at least, when I got off the train to find food I didn't see/smell any turds.

STR
May 12, 2006

Motronic posted:

You really think MOST people here have never driven a VW Beetle or a 70's pickup?

I'd say that's a safe assumption.

I've driven a Beetle... once... and I didn't know how to drive manual at the time. It was interesting.

STR
May 12, 2006

And you're blueballing the poo poo out of us.

Since you're stuck only using your phone, if you like you can send them to me and I'll toss them on imgur for you. Check your FB for my email address.

STR fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 17, 2011

STR
May 12, 2006

drat, I forgot how much MMS compresses poo poo. 14, email them next time, it'll take longer but they won't be so tiny. My bad.

Here's the ultimate ABS failure.

Some custom strut

Yeah that should stop just gre....

I see 14 inch has found the LOGO channel.

edit: where the hell did you find that tape? I want some.

STR fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 17, 2011

STR
May 12, 2006

Well, he did say the brake lines were glowing at one point. I can't imagine how hot it must have been to cause the lines to rust immediately...

STR fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 17, 2011

STR
May 12, 2006

Mr-Spain posted:

Seriously if he has to replace nearly the entire brake system that would be some megabucks.

That's what I was thinking. The calipers are likely fine, but the lines are already rusting, and the master cylinder and ABS pump aren't designed for that kind of heat. No telling what kind of damage was done to the electrical system, particularly with that loom that runs next to one of the lines.

Unfortunately the shop's insurance will likely take the hit, even though all they did was remove a caliper. Gonna be ugly no matter what.

edit: I sent 14" a text asking about it, apparently the car was in there for "boiling brake fluid" anyway, and followed it up with: "Haha dudes drivin it into the ground and scrapping it soon, he didn't care at all. Replaced what was necessary and he picked it up".

STR fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 18, 2011

STR
May 12, 2006

Shroomie posted:

Not my picture, but how in the gently caress does this even happen?

Judging by the lip, one gently caress of a pothole/curb/wheelchair jumped out in front of the car.

I bet that made one hell of a bang

STR
May 12, 2006

oxbrain posted:

Oh look, even the bike is making GBS threads itself.

I got what I think was death wobble driving a friend's Cavalier several years ago. Out of nowhere the whole car started shaking violently and the steering wheel did almost nothing. When I asked him about it he said it'd been doing that at random for about 5 years.

I convinced him to take it to a shop, turns out every bushing in the front had ceased to exist, plus the ball joints were shot.

STR
May 12, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

This was posted on Bitog and I thought I'd share

OH SHI-

From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...942#Post2323942

That's over in alternative insanity too. Apparently everyone lived, though you can see the crew jumping from the first train.

Posting this for Mr 14 Inch Dick, his computer is still out of commision.

Apparently a Silverado came in for "funny sounding brakes". Also managed to eat away the piston from the caliper.

STR
May 12, 2006

destructo posted:

For some reason I was expecting to see Sockington's name on this one.

Mister 14 inch dick turbo sent more pics for us.

VW Jetta timing belt.

Some kind of caliper thing.

You put what on your battery?

STR
May 12, 2006

Sent Texas Redneck a buncha pics from my NHRA race yesterday, hopefully he can get them posted for me. I had no idea that the noise was that vulgar.

Sorry I didn't get them done sooner, I have two finals this week and a paper for one class and I've been trying to keep up with my slacking quota.

Land Cruiser waterpump photo you sent me like 2 weeks ago:

The NHRA photos:

STR
May 12, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Bet that made a nice noise.

I just noticed the "WATCH SHARP EDGES" sticker on the inside of the pan.

STR
May 12, 2006

Motronic posted:

In what state will a speeding ticket for anything less then 5 over stand up?

It usually won't - however, they can use that stop to find other charges to tack on. Such as DUI.

STR
May 12, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, but here's a civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4yIjT83kA

Neon doesn't look too bad suddenly

I got smacked by an 18 wheeler in one of those Civics 5 years ago (2 door though).

Walked away with some bruises, a few cuts from broken glass, and some nasty whiplash. I was really impressed with how well it held up to be honest, the drivers side door (where I was hit) even opened and closed fine.

STR
May 12, 2006

oxbrain posted:

Don't put metal parts on your battery, especially since you don't have any cap over the positive terminal.

Surprise welding is almost as fun as surprise buttsex.

STR
May 12, 2006

Godholio posted:

gently caress, I'm tearing my UPS open this weekend. I think I bought it in 05.

Mine's from 07. Just checked it and the battery isn't spilling its guts yet, though it's long past its prime by now. I only get about 10 minutes out of it now.

I've been debating if I should order a new battery (since this one's original) or a larger UPS - this one is only a 550VA, and refurbups.com has some awesome deals on medium sized units. Thankfully our power doesn't go out often, but when it does go out it's out for a bit.

Also, refurbups.com has some decent prices on replacement batteries.

STR
May 12, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Bonus rusty gross cylinder

Did they leave it for a month or some poo poo?

STR
May 12, 2006

The Scientist posted:

How fast would this engine have been revving to have caused this? Also, you guys gonna sleeve that one cylinder?

I hydrolocked an engine around ... 1800? rpm, if I remember right.

It did far worse, including most of a rod exiting the engine in a violent fashion (through the block). And this was a little Honda (D16Y8 - 1.6 SOHC in the 96-00 Civic).

STR
May 12, 2006

You should be looking more at your wiring or battery. There's a good chance a ground got knocked off the block. And are you sure the battery is 100% charged?

How many bolts were you missing when you put it back together?

STR
May 12, 2006

Paul Boz_ posted:

Just got replacing the motor mounts on my wife's 2002 Mazda Protege... Let me just say that this one was the worst offender..

I did the mounts on my 99 Altima about this time last year; one looked just like that.

And now it's vibrating again. Same mount that looked like that last time is in bad shape again. Can Duralast make ANYTHING right? Though at least that mount is the easiest one to replace..

STR
May 12, 2006

A broken CV joint would just result in the car coasting to the side of the road, possibly with chunks of the joint or bearings hitting the road.

That would be either a tie rod failure or ball joint failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STR
May 12, 2006

Ever wonder what happens when a fire starts at an acetylene bottler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...oWigKCc#t=1426s

quote:

Overheated tanks up to four feet tall exploded and shot into the air. One shot through a wall at Reunion Arena, about 3/8 of a mile away, and at least three landed in the parking lot. Another landed on I-35E, Dallas Fire-Rescue officials said.

Happened in Dallas a few years ago. To add to the failure fun, Dallas PD/FD didn't bother closing I-35 until well after the tanks were flying, as you can see in another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUVswUkEIA

http://www.texas-fire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4011 has a bit more info on it.

STR fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 7, 2011