Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Lifehacker had a High Five last November if you wanna look at that.
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-battery-backups-ups-units-1465536280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For some reason that reminds me of a sign I saw in a local motorcycle repair shop.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I want that sign. Is it available in a print-friendly size?

I just have the photo. There's "medium" sized images that I see on Google Image Search. It's just text, so it should take like 5 minutes to whip something up that looks really close.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

We got a new senior manager and it sounds like they're going to expect us to 5S our desks, in the same (stupid) way.

I get having everything labeled and organized if different people use the information, but everything we use is digital. I have paper copies of a few things I reference often just cause it's faster, but the master copy is on the network. I don't see the point of having everything labeled and easily retrievable and never bothered despite the occasional emails about it.

If I were to label things, then management would know about the kite with a skull on it I keep in my desk for night flying (when I worked second shift).

Having everyone use a standard file structure for the project folders was a pain in the rear end, but that was worth it as many people work on many projects. It's nice jumping onto a new one and knowing where to look to find documentation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double post:

Got an email that my coworker isn't coming into the office today. Stopped by my boss and he said "a car fell on him."

Guess he had a car up on a dyno and the shift linkage got stuck. He jacked up the front and got under it (no stands), messed with the linkage, and knocked it into drive/neutral (not sure which). That let the car roll backwards on the dyno rollers and off the jack onto the guy.

He apparently loaded up the car and drove it an hour+ home before going to the hospital.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

VW does this. Pressure goes lower, circumference drops and wheel rotation speed goes up.

Huh, what cars? Mine definitely has sensors inside the wheels.

I just wish mine gave me the pressure readout instead of just a light if a wheel is low.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jamus posted:

If you don't use your parking brake, how do you know when you're done driving?

The only people I know who use their parking brake are the small few who drive manuals. No one else ever does. I set it all the time, but have to remind myself not to when driving someone else's car or they will make it half way down the block before taking it off.

If someone else drives my car, half the time it's parked not in gear, parking brake only. The other half it's only in gear, no parking brake.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was looking for a DIY to see how to replace the rotors on my sister's Mazda 6. Came across this page off a similar year Mazdaspeed 3 DIY. He recommended using some anti-sieze when putting on the rotor.

And "lubed" the bolts.

Also, "tighten the hell out of the bolts!!!", but no torque specs or anything.

At least the comments get on the guy's case and he put a disclaimer that he hosed up for someone trying to follow the instructions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Everything looks so tidy and clean and undamaged. That strut doesn't look at all like it just broke loose and burst through a fender.

It's going to be the next level in the hellaflush trend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MrChips posted:

From.the article, "Turn Your Backyard Into a Superfund Candidate by the Time the EPA is Invented!"

Here's a kid who tuned his backyard into a Superfund site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn#Creation_of_the_reactor

A radioactive Superfund site.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Someone at work today told me they just replaced all four brakes on their old GMC Jimmy at 86,000 miles... for the first time.

I just rolled over 85k on my car with the original brakes. 4-6 mile commute in little to no traffic for years (working 2nd and 3rd shift), lots of engine braking, and at least half the miles are interstate because I visit the folks 2.5 hours away often. I keep checking them and they seem fine. They have wear sensors and the car hasn't said a peep about them being low.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've heard of chains snapping back and loving up the rider's leg, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

32GB of RAM in my laptop :smuggo:

poo poo, I think that's more than in my work desktop where I do CAD modeling all day.

And probably explains the massive slow downs and crashes that happen at the end of the day when I've opened all the big assemblies.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The people across the street from my sis did that with their lab. Well, they wouldn't be outside to watch and would let the dog go for hours at a time. She'd come home from work at midnight and there'd be a strange dog just hanging out in her yard. It'd come up to the house when she'd be putting her kids in the car.

I think her husband yelled at them and threatened calling animal control before they stopped.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

No, it's a Soviet copy of a BMW design. And Chiangjiang is a Chinese copy of a Soviet copy of a BMW design.

Does that eventually come back around to being awesome? Like the North Korean copy of the Vietnamese copy of the Chinese copy of the Russian copy of a BMW design?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was looking at them when I was getting a bike and they looked awesome, but a top speed of like 60mph (7 years ago) just wouldn't fly in the great open plains of the Midwest.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Haha. I'm reminded of when a hydraulic fitting failed and I found my machinist making a new one out of mild steel.

On my current project, the customer needed a kind of complex 90 degree elbow, but didn't want to cast it. One criteria was that one of the ends have external threads for a hose to screw onto. My coworker came up with piece machined out of a solid block of metal with two holes drilled into it meeting at 90 degrees, like you'd see in a valve body.

The customer wanted a smoother transition instead of the sharp turn this would create. Their idea was the split the piece down the middle, machine out a fluid passage with a smooth transition, weld the two halves together, and then, somehow, machine external threads into and around this welded joint.

We talked them out of that one...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I wan to stress that this next comment has absolutely zero bearing on ethnicity, more a remarkable resemblance. Dude literally looked like Angel from Dexter. Well dressed, clean cut, and like I said honest to god looked like he walked off a shooting for a new season. Made me do a double take the likeness was so uncanny.

My dad took his Subaru to the dealer twice this week and the guy in charge of it looked (and talked a little) like Mac from Always Sunny. I didn't trust him much, mostly because he works in the maintenance department of a car dealer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Chrysler in a nutshell.

They're basically run by their purchasing department and, well, you get what you pay for.

I'm curious, and this seems like the best place to ask: how's the Dart?

I think the interior and exterior look nice enough for a small compact and have seen a few on the road, but no one says anything about them and I don't know anything about how they drive or hold up. I looked on Car and Driver and they're ranked second to last in the "compacts" section, so that can't be good. Seeing the Fiat 500 down that low is a bit of a surprise, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Just get the Golf like the link says :)

I have a seven year old GTI that I don't plan on replacing for at least another seven years. :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Just popping in to remind everyone that forums poster Powershift has never made a post in jest. You don't need to come up with your own material when it comes to VW.

The 09G is actually a made in Japan Toyota (Aisin) trans. Even when it's just an off the shelf Camry transmission, VAG will find some way for it to blow up.

I got a letter from VW extending the length of the warranty on the center brake light. Why? Because the light is in the spoiler and the only way to change it is to cut the spoiler off the car, fix the light, glue it back to the car, and repaint.

Thanks, VW!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

What the hell would that cost?

No idea. I found one guy in the UK say it was £400. He also saved himself the money by breaking the old one into pieces and swapping it out from the outside.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=870cdf369151465294b444e1732bd905&topic=121067.0

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If it's anything like the setup I've seen the Mythbusters use, the cable is designed to break away at impact. Otherwise, the force of the impact will also be felt by the device pulling the vehicle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

His solution was to reach under the fairing and cup the ECU in his hand for ten or fifteen seconds, warming it just enough to start.

Reaching under and cupping is just good form. It's shows appreciation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

revmoo posted:

It's because driving in the United States is a truly terrifying experience and you really want as much sheet metal between you and everyone else as possible.

Ford thought this would be the perfect city car.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SYNus

Yes, it's a bank vault on wheels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Also who puts an optical drive in their computer in tyool 2015?

In my HTPC to use it as a DVD player! Because Netflix's best selection is still on disc stupid rights management.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wait, he got fired for saving Princess Peach?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nearly had a horrible mechanic failure. I'm swapping my summer tires onto the car. Because my garage is narrow, I did the two on the driver's side, backed the car out, and turned it around for the passenger side. I took a break for dinner and came back without the key for the wheel "locks". Turned out I left on one of the wheels and it was laying out in the street. Oops! Good thing no one drove over it and I just backed up and back in.

On the plus side, I tightened my wheels on with a torque wrench and they are coming off after a season of snow with moderate force.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Well you can't just leave it there! Why were you chasing a co-worker down the road with a 4 pound hammer?

Because a 3 pound would have been too small.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's not a boat car, this is a boat cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzqXJjpq94

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I once drove over a freshly tarred road on my bike and got that poo poo caked on everywhere. It smoked and smelled from getting heated up by the engine for a long time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know where I was going with this

You were about to prove that VW's are the most reliable cars on the road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Here's the video, but WARNING, the volume is loud and the people in the car are annoying as all hell. Mute your speakers, first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=099douUPsOE

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I bought my 07 GTI new and it was mostly problem free until about a year ago when it started getting random electrical bugs. But I didn't have part of my intake and most of my A/C system replaced under warranty. And there's been a check engine on light on for a fee months now that I should bring to the mechanic as I've run out of things to try and fix it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tariffs and shipping costs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Data Graham posted:

If it's induction/RFID-based, the range can't be more than a few inches from the sensor, can it?

You can set up a repeater to boost the signal from the car and pick up the key from, say, inside the house.
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/04/new-york-times-columnist-falls-prey-to-signal-repeater-car-burglary/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Ideally they should be coprime, not just odd.

/sperg

Cool!
:eng101: :science:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think it depends on your agent. My folks had State Farm for years and were happy with how they were treated with numerous claims. Their agent retired and they had a claim with the new agent who just dragged everything out, didn't keep them in the loop, and just had them take the lead. Then their rates started going up quite a bit and they switched to a different company.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My GTI has a paper filter element that sits inside of a reusable plastic canister. The nice thing about it is the 36mm (or is it 32mm?) hex molded into the bottom for a wrench to go on, making removal easy. Last time I took it off, though, I couldn't get the drat filter out. It was stuck on the central tube in the canister. When I pulled on it, the tube itself pulled out! After I cut the filter off, I noticed that the tube just snapped into the bottom of the canister with some tabs, but I was scared I destroyed the thing for about ten minutes.

I can never get the drat thing back on the car, though. The element has to align with another tube I can't see deep inside the port and I can never get the threads to start when I put it on. The longest part of an oil change is always me adjusting the angle minutely until I get the drat thing going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Was parked next to a pickup where the cords were showing in a nice 1.5" wide ring all around the sidewall of the front passenger tire. I think they ran the tire along a curb and scrubbed all the rubber off the side.