Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
EDIT, 2016-06-21: Some googling has enlightened me to the presence of an MX518 v2, a revision that was released near the end of the MX518's production life that did indeed have the two large PTFE feet and one small stabilizing strip under the thumb, as well as the opaque black bottom shell. Therefore, these are most likely legit MX518 v2s. However, I still stand by my original conclusion: They are not new, under any circumstances, and the listing purporting them to be "new" is still a lie, even if all other parts are legit.

Original post follows below the line:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In celebration of finding my old MX518 again, I have decided that I am going to take one of the two eBay MX518s apart. Because the longer I look at them, the more assured that I am that the ones off eBay are fake.

They're not *per se*, but appear to be mutants borne of G400/G400s shells when Logitech decided they had poisoned that line's reputation, necessitating the current G branding, and refurbished MX518 guts that never made it out of China before they ended production.They're remanufactured MX518 v2s. Not new at all.

With ALL of these photos,

LEFT MOUSE will be the MX518 that has been in my possession since at least 2009.
RIGHT MOUSE will be the "MX518" that I acquired off eBay last week.

Let's start with the external shell:

From the get go, I see problems. Wherever the shell for this mouse came from, it did not come from Logitech itself. You can see that the ebay mouse's pattern is shallower and has less contrast. While the pattern looks like it was hydrodipped, whatever process it was was highly uniform, as every MX518 that I've ever owned looked exactly like another.

And the rubberized grip texture. I admit, it's been seven years since I held a pristine one in my hands, but this ebay mouse seems very... not-rubberized grippy. Like, I remember hating the way the rubber texture felt, but always looked past it because the shape, weight, and balance were perfect. This... doesn't inspire hate in me like it used to.

That's not all. You can also see that the buttons on the original MX518 are orange, compared to a uniform grey as with the Ebay mouse.

Lastly, the logo on the ebay mouse is raised much higher than on my original mouse. Whereas the old mouse's Logitech logo is streamlined and not raised much higher than the curve of the shell, the one on the ebay mouse is much higher, and the Logitech logo stands in much taller relief.

You can see why I started to get way suspicious already. Let's move to the backside.

Now this is different. If I did not own a G400 and G400s, I would not have been able to tell you why things are different. But because I did, I can tell you that the ebay mouse uses the layout of the G400 and G400s mice, with the two large teflon feet, under which are hiding the three screws holding the mouse together. I know this, because I had to rip my G400 and G400s apart to diagnose them.

The numbers on the label itself also concern me. If I'm not mistaken, those were *supposed* to be serial or lot numbers. But since I don't have any others with which to cross-reference at this time, we shall have to let them slide.

Also, note the different materials. While they both purport to be made of ABS, the original mouse's bottom shell is translucent grey, while the ebay mouse is an opaque black.

Continuing on, we have the internals. And frankly, as far as I can tell? Everything looks.... correct.

There are Omron switches used everywhere. Board layout is the same, excepting numbers which could very well be lot numbers. Cable pinouts are still the same. Did I just consign an innocent mouse to death?! Time to disassemble it and check out the sensor.

It's still an Avago A3080E, same as my original. Time to disassemble the rest of the mouse.

Wait. What's this? By Jove... I think that's a *clue*. Give yourself a cookie if you've spotted why in the following photo:

Moving on. Time to take the rest of this mouse apart. Let's take out the one screw holding down the LMB/RMB/wheel cluster and... um. Excuse me a moment, will you?

*sounds of banging, swearing, and prying can be heard*

Okay, whoever put this mouse together did NOT want me getting under this PCB. And now I can show you why.

That ebay listing is a LIE. These are not new, under any circumstances. Between the obvious signs of desoldering and resoldering, ostensibly to replace formerly busted switches, there's also that hideous bridge, which I can only assume was to repair a break in the original trace that loops all the way around the inner edge of that PCB's scroll wheel clearance hole. I might have actually known from the beginning, considering the dust/hair gunked up in the mouse wheel. A new mouse wouldn't have that.

So there you have it. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It was. I would not mind taking these mice on for parts for MY MX518, but as far as I can tell, with the repairs and the G400/G400s-style shell, I conclude that these must have been refurb mice guts that didn't make it back out of China before Logitech shut down production, and G400/G400s mice shells that were leftover once it became clear what a piece of poo poo their innards were. (Pre-LZ13333)

EDIT, 2016-06-21: Some googling has enlightened me to the presence of an MX518 v2, a revision that was released near the end of the MX518's production life that did indeed have the two large PTFE feet and one small stabilizing strip under the thumb, as well as the opaque black bottom shell. Therefore, these are most likely legit MX518 v2s. However, I still stand by my original conclusion: They are not new, under any circumstances, and the listing purporting them to be "new" is still a lie, even if all other parts are legit.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an MX518 in decent shape just sitting in a drawer. Does this mean I should sell it and become filthy rich? :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That is a pro post. Thank you for that time and effort, as well as the excellent quality photos.

I remember the MX 518 being coveted by all my peeps at the LAN parties I went to, and it's weird to have never bought one (MX 705 and Master 4 Lyfe) but now there are, essentially, counterfeits. It's a strange world.

E:

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an MX518 in decent shape just sitting in a drawer. Does this mean I should sell it and become filthy rich? :v:

Sell it to meeeee

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I've been a Logitech fan for well over a decade too, and I never once had the MX518 in my repertoire. I had a G5 and G500, but the sheer amount of nerd fanatacism it receives is testament to the indispensable value of a superbly comfortable shape. Its sensor wasn't anything special, people just really love how it feels and the excellent placement of its thumb button.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
work bought me an MX master and after a little time getting used to it i really like it. thanks for the recommendation

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
At the risk of being burned at the stake, I'll say it: I strongly disliked the MX518. The mouse itself was great, but I had two in a row start double-clicking within a year of purchase. I foolishly gave the brand more chances, but that turned out well: my G700, G502, MX Performance, and MX Performance 2 have all been great, and held up under heavy use.

But I'll never understand why people continue to shell out :10bux: for MX518s.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

At the risk of being burned at the stake, I'll say it: I strongly disliked the MX518. The mouse itself was great, but I had two in a row start double-clicking within a year of purchase. I foolishly gave the brand more chances, but that turned out well: my G700, G502, MX Performance, and MX Performance 2 have all been great, and held up under heavy use.

But I'll never understand why people continue to shell out :10bux: for MX518s.

because the double-clicking issue you had isn't necessarily the norm?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

duckfarts posted:

because the double-clicking issue you had isn't necessarily the norm?

I lost two Performance MXs to double clicking/bad left click problems, it's certainly a big enough problem but they produce so many mice that the odds of you getting a bum one is still fairly low.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I bought a MX518 in 2011 and spilled coffee on it a few years later. The +sensitivity button stopped working so I finally got myself a new mouse on friday. Ended up going with a G303. I turned the goofy rear end lights off and its a pretty good mouse and pretty similar to the 518.

I almost didn't even look at it because this is the picture they use for it:

Which makes it look weird IMO. Anyway, I paid $48.99 at best buy for it on friday, and today I notice that its on sale half price for 24.99. :argh: Hopefully they'll credit me or I'm just going to return it and rebuy it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It seems like there are two formulas to approximate mouse settings in one game to another with different field of views. One method tries to approximate the distance traveled on your mouse pad in order to do a 360 in game. The other method tries to approximate matching the distance traveled on your mouse pad with the pixels traveled across the screen (as if it were 2d) for some common range of distances traveled.

For example, in that widowmaker post I linked above, at 38 zoom sens, 1 inch worth of pixels traveled on screen will require approximately the same distance traveled by your mouse as the non-zoom fov, but it will be different when it comes to cm/360. This approximation is only accurate at certain ranges of movement.

Another post from mouse-sensitivity explaining it:

Follow up to this, the mouse-senstivity guy is making a new calculator that will try to optimize your relative sensitivity for a certain distance traveled from your crosshair, similar to the 38 widow sense being optimized near crosshair and the 50 being optimized near edge of fov.

http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/forum/topic/268-overwatch/?p=4599

This would be useful for translating sensitivity between games, since I think his current formula tries to optimize long distance motions (making it the same distance traveled to perform a 180 regardless of fov) but doesn't optimize short distance traveled (which would be useful for tracking a target and having to move your mouse at the same speed between games, which seems more common/desirable)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Oh, that's great. Kudos to that guy, I haven't been able to nail down my sens from Battlefield 4 to OW and I'd really like to.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I think the whole thing is still fundamentally hampered by OW still not allowing decimal values for the mouse sensitivity despite plenty of people asking. I just switched to a marginally lower sensitivity than I had been using and am already mostly used to it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Anyone know of a gaming mouse that's a similar size/shape to this mouse, the logitech m705?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...s=logitech+m705

I tried it in store and it fits perfectly in my hand and allows me to do a hybrid palm/claw grip.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to change DPI and it's wireless (otherwise i'd probably buy it even if it's not specifically for gaming).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Isn't the G700s the gaming version of that?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Isn't the G700s the gaming version of that?

Hmmm, i'm somewhat intrigued, it has a wired option too!

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G70...rds=logitech+g7

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i caved and bought a g900, it's absurdly good

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mister Fister posted:

If you like the shape you'll probably like this mouse. I love mine, and seeing it's at $50 now has me considering buying another for use with my laptop (though I really want to get a MX Master for that so I don't have to use a dongle).

When it's plugged in (with a standard MicroUSB cord, so you can use your own if you prefer) it is a wired mouse. It's not just hooked up for charging like an Xbox 360 controller, it's gone full wired. The delay when switching is nearly imperceptibly small, unless you're trying to literally unplug/plug while you move the mouse you'll never see it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mister Fister posted:

Well, I meant more along the lines of "I am pretty sure they use the same shape".

Even *if* the gaming one looks like it has contracted that same virus that causes rabbits to look like jackalopes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 22, 2016

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just want to repeat again thanks for the Logitech ebay breakdown. Much appreciated.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Audax posted:

Just want to repeat again thanks for the Logitech ebay breakdown. Much appreciated.

You're welcome. I want to clarify some things that I discovered in research after the post, however. There exists an MX518 v2 that was introduced near the end of the MX518's production. It has the G400's two large PTFE feet, the grey-and-not-orange buttons, and opaque bottom shell. However, it doesn't account for the curiously raised logo emblem, or the curiously shallow surface pattern. I've added an edit to reflect this in the original post.

The crucial point still remains: The listings that purport them to be new mice are lies.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, I meant more along the lines of "I am pretty sure they use the same shape".

Even *if* the gaming one looks like it has contracted that same virus that causes rabbits to look like jackalopes.

Its worth noting that while the shapes are pretty similar, the sizes are pretty different. The M705 is a lot smaller (though not quite micro-mouse size) and the G700s is a full sized gaming mouse. Both are solid though!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have two M705s ready to go anytime, and used one until I got the MX Master. My second-favorite mouse, and like a year or two of battery life.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Ec2a is p nice so far, the lack of software is also nice. Wish I could turn off the LED period though

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Since this seems to be the mouse megathread:

I want to buy a gaming mouse, and I'm not a big enough gamer to justify anything more expensive than $50. All I'm really after is something with a few more buttons so I can accurately click the button to shoot fire at the dragon instead of hitting the wrong key and launching myself off a cliff accidentally. I don't really play FPSes so I don't need anything designed to be super accurate, all I want is something with more than two buttons that won't break after two minutes of use. Also, I'm in Australia where everything costs twice as much as it should. I've done a bit of googling but all I could find were things that weren't available anymore or things that are way too fancy/expensive for me. Any suggestions? Or is there a better thread to ask in?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats the durability on the mouse wheel of the mx master like because i spin it far too much since it has a free spin

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tossed my two mice up onto SA-Mart.

Savu: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781037
G502: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781035

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Castor got dunked in beer, it's not good. :smith:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Take it apart enough that you can rinse off the beer from the PCB, and put it in a ziplock with a bunch of rice.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

taqueso posted:

put it in a ziplock with a bunch of rice.

https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/

quote:

Dry, uncooked conventional rice was the worst of the seven options we tested. It absorbed the least water in 24 hours, losing out to silica gel, cat litter, couscous, instant oatmeal, classic oatmeal and instant rice.

More importantly, the sponge that we left in open air performed far better than any of the drying agents. It’s possible that the absorbent materials could have matched open air if we’d used a lot more. But it seems that leaving your phone on a shelf may be the best option.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

El Scotch posted:

Castor got dunked in beer, it's not good. :smith:

Rinse in distilled water, while unplugged.

in all seriousness, take the drat thing apart, clean with distilled water, blow dry with something powerful like a leaf blower
you can also use %90 rubbing alcohol to displace the water and then dry that

Rice = NO
Leave with beer in to dry = NO

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Good to know about the rice.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its worth noting that while the shapes are pretty similar, the sizes are pretty different. The M705 is a lot smaller (though not quite micro-mouse size) and the G700s is a full sized gaming mouse. Both are solid though!

It's also worth noting that those pointed hard side mouse buttons are loving terriblly designed and will cause your thumb to be as sore as hell after prolonged use.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
When my 518 died I replaced it with a a model from Aula, very comfortable to hold and inexpensive. At this point it has actually outlived my Logitech 518

https://www.amazon.com/AULA-120560-GHOST-Expert-Gaming/dp/B00B1NZN5M

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Lobus posted:

When my 518 died I replaced it with a a model from Aula, very comfortable to hold and inexpensive. At this point it has actually outlived my Logitech 518

https://www.amazon.com/AULA-120560-GHOST-Expert-Gaming/dp/B00B1NZN5M

Does this one change LED color based on the DPI selected?

edit: or rather is there a way to keep the light at one color and disregard the dpi setting?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 29, 2016

norg
Jul 5, 2006
Has anyone had issues with their Logitech mouse in Windows 10? My G502 stopped working properly - it would frequently not register clicks, or register them in the wrong place. So like I'd click to open a new tab in Chrome and it would close all the tabs. Bit weird.

The PC it was used on had Windows 10 from release and the mouse worked fine for a long time (the issues only started in the last few months), so I thought maybe the mouse was just screwed. Moved it to my office PC running Windows 7 to confirm though, and it works absolutely fine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Mine has been fine, but there have been a few times, where I needed to reassign my mappings again for some weird reason. It's not like it would "forget" them; it just wouldn't save the changes when I initially made them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

norg posted:

Has anyone had issues with their Logitech mouse in Windows 10? My G502 stopped working properly - it would frequently not register clicks, or register them in the wrong place. So like I'd click to open a new tab in Chrome and it would close all the tabs. Bit weird.

The PC it was used on had Windows 10 from release and the mouse worked fine for a long time (the issues only started in the last few months), so I thought maybe the mouse was just screwed. Moved it to my office PC running Windows 7 to confirm though, and it works absolutely fine.
Maybe the USB port is a bum?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I hope my G5 doesn't ever die so I don't have to mouse shop. I hate mouse shopping, and every one that looks like I want is sold out everywhere.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can anyone recommend something easily obtainable, that has 3-4 side buttons? I get too busy with the naga style stuff. I had an Anker 8200DPI but it's on its way out. Glossy plastic is a no, because it gets sweaty and gross. I'm actually looking at the razer series, surprisingly. I like that the Anker has 3 side buttons though, instead of 2.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Deviant posted:

Can anyone recommend something easily obtainable, that has 3-4 side buttons? I get too busy with the naga style stuff. I had an Anker 8200DPI but it's on its way out. Glossy plastic is a no, because it gets sweaty and gross. I'm actually looking at the razer series, surprisingly. I like that the Anker has 3 side buttons though, instead of 2.

(Ignore my previous post apparently) g Mouse reviews because even though I have my Logitech G5 I just built a new comp and I have had it for quite a while so it will probably poo poo out sometime soon. I just pulled the trigger on this: http://www.epicpants.com/t-shirts/tek-syndicate-gaming-mouse-standard-issue
https://www.amazon.com/Tek-Syndicate-Gaming-Mouse-Standard/dp/B01D8WCU7W
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVm8IPwZ9E

It's a no frills gaming mouse that looks like it's taken somewhat after the Razer series but also made by a smaller company of actual gamers.