Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Mousepads are absolutely not all equal. you can get a premium one for 20-30 dollars though that doesn't wear out anywhere near as fast as some tiny generic one from staples will

i bought the normal steelseries qck yeeeears ago for like £10 and i see no reason to replace it. thought i'd lost it while moving and bought a replacement which turned out to be large enough that a child could use it as a blanket in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

VostokProgram posted:

My enormous full desk mouse pad was worth every penny

Big fan of these as well. They shouldn't really be too much money. I don't think I paid more than $15 or so.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

1x2 foot sheet of aluminum is a good mouse pad. These are secrets big mousepad doesn't want you to know. You need something under it so it doesn't slide too much, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Big fan of these as well. They shouldn't really be too much money. I don't think I paid more than $15 or so.

Currently $15: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-MM300-Anti-Fray-Extended/dp/B01798VS4C/

I bought it the other week but haven't yet tried it out because it smelled like car tires right out of the box. After some airing out it should hopefully be fine.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Yup, that one looks nice. Actually better than the one I have, which doesn't have those hemmed edges.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rexxed posted:

1x2 foot sheet of aluminum is a good mouse pad. These are secrets big mousepad doesn't want you to know. You need something under it so it doesn't slide too much, though.

If you prefer a soft mousepad, a chunk of neoprene is wonderful and will last years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you prefer a soft mousepad, a chunk of neoprene is wonderful and will last years.

Aluminum is soft. All of my hats are made out of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My only regret, as far as mousepads go, is that I did not buy a thousand XFX Warpads to throw into storage and pull a new one out when the old one wore out.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Got my Zowie EC1-A a couple days ago and so far I love it. Super comfortable for large hands and the shape is amazing. Definitely my favorite no frills FPS mouse I've had and for a decent price.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Logitech G502 Proteus Core right click started double clicking last month, so I submitted a warranty claim on August 24.

There was no update, so on September 6, I called them, and they said they I would have to send back my faulty mouse before they would replace it, and they would send me a UPS shipping label.

Again there was no update, so on September 14, I called them again. They said the replacement was never processed because they don't carry the Proteus Core anymore, only the Spectrum (no poo poo), and they were like, "Is that okay?" OF COURSE IT'S OKAY IT'S THE SAME MOUSE. They also asked where I bought it from, even though I INCLUDED THE PURCHASE RECEIPT IN MY ORIGINAL WARRANTY REQUEST.

Anyway, the mouse is now on its way to California, and it'll probably take another 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive here in Atlanta, if I'm lucky. So that'll be 36 days for the simplest of warranty replacements.

As an aside, I took my MX518 out of storage but the rubber on the sides was melting and the scroll wheel wouldn't work.

So I took my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0a out of storage but the scroll wheel was super melting.

So now I'm using my Logitech Anywhere MX, a small travel mouse, like a moron.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Seems like Logitech support has really poo poo the bed recently.

I ordered the fancypants new MX Ergo direct from their website on 9/14 and haven't gotten a status update yet.
I opened a support case on 9/18 to see what was up, but no response yet.
I tried calling their support number, but they said it was only for technical support issues.
Now I am waiting in a live chat queue with a "wait time" counter that simply counts down from 5:00 and starts over repeatedly.

What the heck happened to you, Logitech? You used to be cool :(

ETA: Got an agent!

"Hello! Thank you for reaching out to Logitech Support. I will be with you in a moment."

lol :(

ETA²: Agent confirmed an issue with UPS shipping. They picked up my shipment on 9/14 but are experiencing some kind of delay. Due to apparently a software issue they were not able to record the tracking number but are working with UPS to resolve these shipping issues. I should get an email confirming the shipment and the tracking info whenever it actually starts moving, though, and I can contact Logitech again with my case number to get my shipping fee refunded.

This is an issue affecting quite a few Logitech customers, too.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 20, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Logitech support is trash. I tried RMAing a set of their headphones which died after like 3 months. They just dropped the ball and never replied to the RMA request. After 5 calls I gave up.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Aw that sucks. Logitech support/RMA used be amazing. My G400 mouse shat the bed a few years ago and they just sent me a new one, no questions asked, and let me keep the old one.

eames
May 9, 2009

This is normal behavior for Logitech support now, my recommendation would be to give up and buy from a different manufacturer.
After my last support "experience" with them I'd rather control my OS with the shift and the tabulator key than order another Logitech mouse ever again.

Still super happy with my Benq/Zowie EC-2A though, can't recommend that enough.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
That's a shame about Logitech.

Is there anything like the G502? One of the buttons is worn out on mine. I'd like something with a palm grip and a selectable freescrolling wheel.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
That'd be a big bummer with Logitech. I haven't contacted their CS for about 2 years, but it was smooth as butter at that point. I hope they didn't decide that customer service was now unimportant - It definitely sold their products in the past.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So my logitech G9x is finally dying a hard death (left button wont drag/double-clicks and the scroll wheel is inconsistent.) I really need a replacement. I don't need anything super fancy, though I do use it for gaming so a couple side buttons would be nice. Wired, for smaller hands, and I prefer lighter mice though that's not a huge concern. Braided cord preferred, I've had much better luck with braided cord devices.

I was going to look into another logitech since 6 or so years is a great life for a gaming mouse, but now I'm not sure given the last few posts. Are the razer mice any good? I'm using a black widow keyboard and it's been excellent.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Corsair M90 gave up the ghost after five and a half years so, seeing as I play fewer MMOs these days and more shooters with a side of HotS, I picked up an M65 PRO rather than paying $130 CAD for the numpad-on-a-brick that is the Scimitar.

Jeez this mouse is nice. Had to remap the forward/backward buttons to F13 and F14 for usability in games but dang, everything else is perfect. Highly recommend.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

My Logitech G502 Proteus Core right click started double clicking last month, so I submitted a warranty claim on August 24.

There was no update, so on September 6, I called them, and they said they I would have to send back my faulty mouse before they would replace it, and they would send me a UPS shipping label.

Again there was no update, so on September 14, I called them again. They said the replacement was never processed because they don't carry the Proteus Core anymore, only the Spectrum (no poo poo), and they were like, "Is that okay?" OF COURSE IT'S OKAY IT'S THE SAME MOUSE. They also asked where I bought it from, even though I INCLUDED THE PURCHASE RECEIPT IN MY ORIGINAL WARRANTY REQUEST.

Anyway, the mouse is now on its way to California, and it'll probably take another 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive here in Atlanta, if I'm lucky. So that'll be 36 days for the simplest of warranty replacements.

As an aside, I took my MX518 out of storage but the rubber on the sides was melting and the scroll wheel wouldn't work.

So I took my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0a out of storage but the scroll wheel was super melting.

So now I'm using my Logitech Anywhere MX, a small travel mouse, like a moron.
fyi: you can take a paper towel with acetone/nail polish remover to any melty/goopy soft touch parts to remove the gunk

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
A Mionix dev posted a beta firmware for the old Castor on OCN. They're allowing a beta enrollment and have fixed a variety of issues, soit made me bring out my old Naos 7000 and Castor. I've definitely noticed an improvement with the new firmware, and I've been tinkering with using these mice again.

One thing I've grown to really like about their customization that I have never used before is the angle offset. I like holding my mice somewhat sideways, so being able to tune the degrees to which the sensor thinks is up has been really fun to play with. I first tried it with the Naos and found it really nice. And then I noticed with my other mice how I would hold the mouse, my left/right movement was almost always offset. I used to hold my MX518 on an angle too... I've had both of these mice for close to two years and never really thought to use it. Do any other manufacturers allow this kind of adjustment? I can't recall my Nixeus, Logitech, Steelseries, or Rival mice ever having that option. Part of the reason I set my Rival aside is that mouse felt really comfortable to me at an angle but the aiming became too awkward.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

So my logitech G9x is finally dying a hard death (left button wont drag/double-clicks and the scroll wheel is inconsistent.) I really need a replacement. I don't need anything super fancy, though I do use it for gaming so a couple side buttons would be nice. Wired, for smaller hands, and I prefer lighter mice though that's not a huge concern. Braided cord preferred, I've had much better luck with braided cord devices.

I was going to look into another logitech since 6 or so years is a great life for a gaming mouse, but now I'm not sure given the last few posts. Are the razer mice any good? I'm using a black widow keyboard and it's been excellent.

I would test Logitech's support yourself first. Maybe the bad reports are anecdotal. Maybe CS at Logitech really has taken a nosedive.

I really do believe that the G502 is the best mouse money can buy right now. Subjective opinion and all, but that's that. I will also say this about Razer's stuff: I was given the choice to purchase literally any keyboard and mouse combination at work and I ended up choosing the Razer Black Widow Chroma as my keyboard. The build, the layout, and the switches were my favorite at the time (and still rank very highly in my head) -- It's a wonderful keyboard. That said, I would not be caught dead with a Deathadder, or really any Razer mouse. They feel super cheap and their buttons don't have the delightful kind of feedback on click that the Logitech mice do.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah the Black Widow Chroma is what I picked out given the choice of anything (it was a christmas gift) and it's been hands down the best keyboard I have ever owned. Sucks to hear their mice aren't as high quality.

The G502 looks very solid and is only 50$ on Amazon right now so I'm thinking that's probably the one. It has a few more buttons than I will ever use, but it's probably the closest thing to my G9x in the current generation and that's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I'm going to miss laughing at the Call of Duty MW3 tramp stamp my old mouse had.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Audax posted:

A Mionix dev posted a beta firmware for the old Castor on OCN. They're allowing a beta enrollment and have fixed a variety of issues, soit made me bring out my old Naos 7000 and Castor. I've definitely noticed an improvement with the new firmware, and I've been tinkering with using these mice again.
Just recently did the same: updated Mionix Naos 7000 hardware. Seems like there are more options for "Sensor Performance." Still the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've had one bad Logitech warranty call, and it went pretty much like the one being discussed-- an unhelpful CSR, requests for information that I had already given, he even refused to accept a proof of purchase at first, before signing off on the replacement. The other ones I've been through have been fast and easy.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My experiences with Logitech support in the past year have been fast, easy, and good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My Microsoft basic rear end mouse has finally died after 13 years of use. Left click is finally starting to not work. Hopefully the G502 is a good replacement.

Edit: took it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, good for another 13 years. Order canceled. :v: Quite a bit of nasty poo poo in there and on the scroll wheel. Dead simple to take apart as well.

This is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D6...t+optical+mouse

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 23, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The wheel mouse optical is cool and good. I snag everyone I can from work since Radiology got them years ago.

1.1A is the latest revision.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

skooma512 posted:

1.1A is the latest revision.

Then I have the latest 13 year old mouse. :smug:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What is the appeal? Do people really like the shape or something?

I must have thrown fifty of those things out aver the past year

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dissss posted:

I must have thrown fifty of those things out aver the past year
People are dumb and nostalgic for their first optical mouse.

In related news, isopropyl alcohol didn't work, but I was able to clean up my MX518 with acetone just in time for Overwatch free weekend.

Replacement G502 should be arriving Tuesday though.

The MX518 shape feels so outdated.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

dissss posted:

I've never had a fancy mouse but it just works. :v: It is my first optical mouse as well, before I used the old school ball type ones. I had the M705 (not fancy, but has a couple more buttons and long battery life) on my amazon wishlist for a bit but this thing just won't die and has been carried over through 3 builds. Same for my keyboard, but that thing is getting pretty nasty at this point. That I may actually replace soon.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So my G502 got here, have to say I've never had a mouse that you could spin the mousewheel like a roller skate before, this thing is REALLY nice. Fits my hand perfect and man I can't tell you how good having functional buttons feels again. :swoon:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Free scrolling is a must-have for me. My one nit with the G502 has always been that the scrollwheel tends to skip when not freescrolling, but a firmware update reduced that problem significantly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

G502 arrived today, 1 day too late for free Overwatch weekend. I might have played more, but as it was, I played 1 game with the MX 518 and wasn't impressed enough to buy the game.

I also enabled color rotation on the LED logo for now. It's me, I'm the bling bling scum.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

G502 arrived today, 1 day too late for free Overwatch weekend. I might have played more, but as it was, I played 1 game with the MX 518 and wasn't impressed enough to buy the game.

I also enabled color rotation on the LED logo for now. It's me, I'm the bling bling scum.

I know it's supposed to be gauche or whatever but why even have that as a feature and not use it?

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I turn on all the bells and whistles when it's charging. Might as well make the most those wired hours :pcgaming:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
After just over a year, my G502 middle mouse button is broken. It has zero travel to actuate, so scrolling will sometimes middle click and/or get the computer stuck thinking my normal clicks are middle clicks.

On browser tabs, that closes them.

In my IDE's, that pastes my clipboard in random loving places while scrolling.

So far, I've had to tell 4 different logitech people/forms/automatons the same information, submitting the serial number, part number, model number, and contact info every loving time (despite all this being already in my online account where I registered the drat mouse).

How many more times will I need to tell them the mouse is physically broken before they stop telling me to try multiple USB ports (which I have, on 2 computers and 2 different OS)?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

What's the verdict on current terrible 12 button MMO grid mice? My Logitech G600 is showing intermittent issues and they don't really sell them in Europe anymore, otherwise I'd order a new one. I really wish Logitech would make a successor for it, I like that it has tilt wheel that I can use stuff for and a ring finger button.

Seems to me that:
1. Corsair Scimitar, while decent and has an optical sensor, is kinda lacking apart from the 12 grid buttons, and the grid buttons can't really be told apart easily, and no tilt scroll
2. Razer Naga (whatever): At least it has tilt wheel but still crappy build quality and kinda lacklustre button placement on top. I swear to god original Razer Naga had some better button placement on top than this thing.
3. Roccat Nyth: Again, kinda unimpressive. At least it has that weird little button that can go both ways. Modularity seems like a gimmick to me.

Roccat Tyon seems interesting if I was willing to adapt away from grid-type mice. Tyon might be slightly better for FPS's (though no optical sensor) but I don't really play them these days. Leadr, the wireless version has an optical sensor but it's beyond my budget. Wondering how easy the buttons on top are to hit.

Are there any mice with non-grid layouts that have 10+ customizable buttons that I might be missing? Logitech's selection seems kinda poo poo/overpriced to me.

I mostly play Final Fantasy XIV on it and yes I do kinda need many buttons but I guess I can adapt to a degree.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 30, 2017

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Dessel posted:

What's the verdict on current terrible 12 button MMO grid mice? My Logitech G600 is showing intermittent issues and they don't really sell them in Europe anymore, otherwise I'd order a new one.
I've been in a similar situation as you for quite a while -- I'm rocking a G700s and there's no replacement in sight. I was excited when I learned the Roccat Tyon and Leadr existed, but as you say one's got a subpar sensor for today's mice and the other is just way too expensive.
Unfortunately, I can't find anything else that I like. I'll probably just put aside some cash and wait till I can reason myself into spending 150 EUR on a mouse :downs: Some unopened G700 and G600 mice can still be found on eBay (not cheap though) so maybe I'll spring for one more of the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Amazon in Europe and a few major chains still sell brand new G700s at ordinary prices, I bought one from MediaMarkt like a couple of months ago. G600s are rarer but I'm seeing a handful from third party vendors on Amazon yet.