Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«231 »
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Goo posted:

Probably technically feasible but to be perfectly honest the number of people who would actually use that feature on gaming mice is probably not enough to offset the development cost. I'll ask the team to keep it in mind for the future but it's likely a long way off, if at all.

The MX Anywhere counts as a gaming mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!

Anyone have the experience of buying a new G502 and finding the firmware is already up to date? I think I may have been sold an opened box as new from Amazon.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

I bought platinum. The last time I gave SA money I had to convince my mom to spend :tenbux: with her CC

My trackball arrived. It's awesome, I'm surprised how natural it feels trackballing left-handed because mousing left-handed never felt good. I am very likely to pick up a nicer wireless one in the future though. I feel what you were saying before about the scroll wheel SymmetryrtemmyS, it is a very convenient place for a scroll ring but this one is janky as hell.

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 18:57

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

My trackball arrived. It's awesome, I'm surprised how natural it feels trackballing left-handed because mousing left-handed never felt good. I am very likely to pick up a nicer wireless one in the future though. I feel what you were saying before about the scroll wheel SymmetryrtemmyS, it is a very convenient place for a scroll ring but this one is janky as hell.

You can slightly improve it: https://web.archive.org/web/2010062...tle=Island:9303

64bit_Dophins
Jan 2, 2014

My g500 is very rapidly dying. I'll be using it and it will randomly disconnect and reconnect like 5 seconds later. Is this something that I could realistically fix? I've tried several different USB ports on my pc with the same result.

I'm looking at getting a replacement and I'm afraid to spend money on a mouse that I hate. The g500 has by far been my favorite mouse but I've had a few (subjectively) bad experiences with the g9x and some steel series mouse my friend gave me back in the day.

I'm looking for a modern day replacement to the g500 in terms of 'feel in hand' and track-wheel. I mostly use the mouse for office work and I love how my hand 'arches' over it. I've read on some other forums that the g502 is good but it's pretty expensive from what I've seen.

Is the 403 a similar mouse?

edit: Does the steelseries Rival 110 have a similar grip to the g500? It's on amazon for like $25.

64bit_Dophins fucked around with this message at May 17, 2018 around 13:43

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I haven't seen it with a mouse, but my Filco keyboard and audio interface used to do that for a bit. I think it was my PSU that wasn't able to power the components anymore, and after I replaced it, the issue seemed to go away.

Just make sure it actually is your mouse and not something else; try to test it on a laptop maybe.

64bit_Dophins
Jan 2, 2014

ufarn posted:

I haven't seen it with a mouse, but my Filco keyboard and audio interface used to do that for a bit. I think it was my PSU that wasn't able to power the components anymore, and after I replaced it, the issue seemed to go away.

Just make sure it actually is your mouse and not something else; try to test it on a laptop maybe.

That is a possibility considering my keyboard was doing something similar this morning.

My power supply is 7 years old so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

I bought platinum. The last time I gave SA money I had to convince my mom to spend :tenbux: with her CC

Having read that all I want to do now is get a trackball that I can stick an 8ball into.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

Having read that all I want to do now is get a trackball that I can stick an 8ball into.

CST L-Trac, friend. You can also plug in two additional buttons of your own design, or they sell add on buttons.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

CST L-Trac, friend. You can also plug in two additional buttons of your own design, or they sell add on buttons.

Glad I started with a cheaper trackball because I'm very likely to buy one of those in the future. I have an answer to the thread title: "Yes, but only if its a trackball"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

That is a possibility considering my keyboard was doing something similar this morning.

My power supply is 7 years old so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.
Seven years was about the age of mine. There's a big derail about PSUs in the GPU thread during the downtime until the Turing announcement if you wanna take a look there.

You'll probably want to replace your PSU either way, so definitely do that before replacing your mouse.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

My g500 is very rapidly dying. I'll be using it and it will randomly disconnect and reconnect like 5 seconds later. Is this something that I could realistically fix? I've tried several different USB ports on my pc with the same result.

I'm looking at getting a replacement and I'm afraid to spend money on a mouse that I hate. The g500 has by far been my favorite mouse but I've had a few (subjectively) bad experiences with the g9x and some steel series mouse my friend gave me back in the day.

I'm looking for a modern day replacement to the g500 in terms of 'feel in hand' and track-wheel. I mostly use the mouse for office work and I love how my hand 'arches' over it. I've read on some other forums that the g502 is good but it's pretty expensive from what I've seen.

Is the 403 a similar mouse?

edit: Does the steelseries Rival 110 have a similar grip to the g500? It's on amazon for like $25.

Your mouse cord most likely has some broken conductors and it's periodically losing power or data as you move it around. It will then reconnect when it gets some more contact on the broken conductors. If that's the case, you can fix it with a new cable or by cutting off the bad section, although it may require soldering the cut cable ends back together. I'd suggest moving up to a G502 or maybe even an MX Master if you do a lot of office work. I have all three on my desk right now and they feel pretty similar in general shape.

64bit_Dophins
Jan 2, 2014

ufarn posted:

Seven years was about the age of mine. There's a big derail about PSUs in the GPU thread during the downtime until the Turing announcement if you wanna take a look there.

You'll probably want to replace your PSU either way, so definitely do that before replacing your mouse.

I'm about to buy a 1060 used from one of my friends who barely used it so I was going to get a new case to fit it in anyways. I'll just look for a case PSU bundle that's decent and on sale.

Rexxed posted:

Your mouse cord most likely has some broken conductors and it's periodically losing power or data as you move it around. It will then reconnect when it gets some more contact on the broken conductors. If that's the case, you can fix it with a new cable or by cutting off the bad section, although it may require soldering the cut cable ends back together. I'd suggest moving up to a G502 or maybe even an MX Master if you do a lot of office work. I have all three on my desk right now and they feel pretty similar in general shape.

Would you recommend the SteelSeries Rival 110? I'm about to pull the trigger on it because it's more in line with my current budget.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm about to buy a 1060 used from one of my friends who barely used it so I was going to get a new case to fit it in anyways. I'll just look for a case PSU bundle that's decent and on sale.

Would you recommend the SteelSeries Rival 110? I'm about to pull the trigger on it because it's more in line with my current budget.

It looks pretty solid to me, and is corroborated by reviews. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05...ng-mouse-review

Trackball day 3 trip report: I really enjoy using this thing! I was kind of expecting to get tired of it by day 3.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

It looks pretty solid to me, and is corroborated by reviews. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05...ng-mouse-review

Trackball day 3 trip report: I really enjoy using this thing! I was kind of expecting to get tired of it by day 3.

It'll only get better from here. Welcome to the club.

64bit_Dophins
Jan 2, 2014

Careful Drums posted:

Oh yeah once you go trackball using a regular mouse never really feels the same. I switch between my Kensington trackball and my intellimouse at the office all the time.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

64bit_Dophins posted:

That seems good, but the Nixeus Revel and DM S1 Pro are the same price for what's likely a better mouse if you like the sensei shape.

Here's a review for the rival: http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/stee...al-110-review/, and FWIW it's in his top category: http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/ (albeit a bit below the revel and DM, but not by much and if having software is a feature for you then steelseries is way better)

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Ynglaur posted:

The MX Anywhere counts as a gaming mouse?

What I'm saying is that it's one thing to have that feature on an MX Anywhere, it's a different thing to have that feature on a gaming mouse. Different receivers/firmware/etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Goo posted:

What I'm saying is that it's one thing to have that feature on an MX Anywhere, it's a different thing to have that feature on a gaming mouse. Different receivers/firmware/etc.

Makes sense. I use an MX Anywhere 2S. FWIW, I would buy a "3S" in a heartbeat if it could switch between receivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Pottsdam posted:

Anyone have the experience of buying a new G502 and finding the firmware is already up to date? I think I may have been sold an opened box as new from Amazon.

New firmwares are put into production at the factory in addition to being provided as a download.

«231 »