Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«232 »
Klaaz
Sep 23, 2003

Fano posted:

I'm looking for a deathadder replacement, starting to get double click issues on this mouse and it's barely a year old :/ not sure how to remedy, will try cleaning it but I have around $100 in amazon credit and wouldn't mind treating myself.

I really really really like the shape of this mouse but I do not want to get another one if it's going to have the same issues a few months down the line, any recommendations? I'm looking at the G502 but it doesn't look anything like the deathadder in terms of grip or comfort.

Had this one too (for lefties) and replaced it with the Steel Series Sensei 310 which is as good as the same mouse as the one mentioned by the poster above besides being ambidextrous. I really like it, maybe even more than my Zowie FK1. It's tracking (feels even sharper than the Sensei or DA) is fabulous but the mouse feels a bit slippery to me.

Klaaz fucked around with this message at Jun 14, 2018 around 10:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Fano posted:

I'm looking for a deathadder replacement, starting to get double click issues on this mouse and it's barely a year old :/ not sure how to remedy, will try cleaning it but I have around $100 in amazon credit and wouldn't mind treating myself.

I really really really like the shape of this mouse but I do not want to get another one if it's going to have the same issues a few months down the line, any recommendations? I'm looking at the G502 but it doesn't look anything like the deathadder in terms of grip or comfort.

G403 wireless

LordAdakos
Aug 31, 2009

My g600 is starting to go kaput. Anyone have suggestions for mice that have a good thumb layout? I've found myself really enjoying the sheer amount of options I have for keybindings and shortcuts with the g600. I really also enjoy Logitech software, and don't need flashy rgbs. I'm looking at the 602 as well as the steelseries rival 500 and the Patriot viper v570. Does anyone have any experience with steelseries or Patriot viper software?

Or is there another solid choice of mouse I've missed?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Both the Sensei and the Rival look like great choices, thank you all for the advice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I wanted orange.

It gave me lemon-lime.

Nap Ghost

Miguel Prado posted:

I went from a death adder to a steel series rival 310. Could not be more pleased.

same

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Fano posted:

Both the Sensei and the Rival look like great choices, thank you all for the advice.

If you like the Sensei the Nixeus Revel and DM S1 Pro are also very similar -- they have the same shape as the Sensei exactly.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

kaschei posted:

Mouse movement is discretized into events on the x and y axes. DPI is supposed to say "If I move the mouse 1 inch, how many mouse motion events get reported?" Or take its reciprocal: how much do I have to move my mouse to make 1 mouse event? If your sensor is high quality it can be accurate over its whole range of DPI, accuracy simply meaning that the number of events generated by a mouse motion corresponds closely to the stated DPI.

Sensitivity, at least in Quake-like games, is a relationship between mouse events and turning in game. Each mouse event corresponds to a rotation of about 4/3 of an arcminute times your sensitivity (I'm using CS/quake values because I remember what they mean). So with sensitivity of 1 you need 16,200 mouse events to perform a 360, sensitivity of 2 would be half that (8,100), etc. If the game you're playing has a flexible enough sensitivity model you can play with high DPI by turning your in-game sensitivity down, or low DPI and turning sensitivity up, and hardly notice it. It's useful to have a DPI-independent metric of sensitivity, and people sometimes state their sensitivity in "360 distance" which takes DPI and sensitivity into account to just say how far they have to physically move their mouse to turn all the way around in-game.

In a FPS, DPI only matters if you're trying to do minute adjustments, when you start flicking and dragging your DPI matters less and less. You basically have to do experiments with small mouse motions to tell whether your DPI is high or low, if your 360 distance is kept the same. If you're trying to line up a shot exactly on a particular part of a texture low DPI will help you make those fine adjustments without requiring an extremely fine mouse motion. Over long mouse motions the difference becomes negligible.

DPI matters more on the desktop where 800DPI on a 4K screen with acceleration off makes every click of the start menu a 8" round trip. So mostly you should pick a DPI to suit your desktop resolution and preference, and find the in-game sensitivity that lets you keep your DPI at a level that's comfortable for desktop use without having to switch modes. If that's not possible (some engines have a hard minimum sensitivity) or you really want low DPI for those fine grained motions in-game by all means tweak away.

tl;dr the difference between high and low DPI that can't be eliminated by adjusting your sensitivity is the precision you, the person holding the mouse, need to have to make a minute turn in-game; low DPI requires less precision, because the physical distance between mouse events is higher so you have more wiggle room on the mouse pad. Optimize to this exactly according to your preferences and no further.

Thank you for this excellent response.

Honestly baffled they they make mice with a clickable scrollwheel not the middle click by default, or not bindable to middle click.

What else do people use to open links in new tabs on browsers using only, ahem, one hand?

After using the G502 for a bit now, I'm less impressed with the unlimited scroll. It seems that it's super sensitive, and that just moving the mouse around can cause the page to scroll. If there was a way to slightly reduce its sensitivity, that'd be great, because if you want to do a long scroll you're going to use a bit of force anyway.

Middle click is also still hard to actuate; at least, harder than the MX518 was. Still not used to it.

Otherwise, really liking this mouse. I've gotten used to the weight and the shape of it is really comfortable.

One thing that has unexpectedly been very handy is the LED display for sensitivity levels. I change sensitivity quite a lot, and it's nice just being able to glance at it and know where it is set.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2018 around 06:27

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What else do people use to open links in new tabs on browsers using only, ahem, one hand?

The browser’s default settings in the year 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Right click -> Open in new tab.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

*~*~ CONJURE ~*~ ~*~* FOOD *~*~*

Came here intending to ask if anyone else was having issues with their Logitech G series scroll wheels (I have a G603) - it would frequently scroll in the opposite direction of what I clicked. I thought it might be a mechanical issue and I'd have to RMA it but apparently they released new firmware to address it.

Updated the firmware, and it doesn't seem to have solved it. Looks like I need to RMA anyway, doh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

The recent posts about quality control kinda worry me; I was going to try the G502 again but the last 3 I had came with frayed cable braiding and then the mice themselves stopped working after a few months. RMAd one of them, think I had 3 total? These were before the RGB versions, so I dunno if they changed the cable. Friend sent me a 700s and Im using that except the left mouse button is starting to double-click. I really do want a 502 though... Perfect mouse, lovely cable. The G903 would work but I don't want to spend that much on a mouse.

«232 »