Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I'm rapidly getting to the point where my next mouse will end up being the one who can deliver features without the absolute shittiest software imaginable. The level of UX incompetence in nearly all the keyboard/mouse tooling is unbelievable and it seems equally unbelievable that the best interface that I can get is actually X-Mouse Control, which, if you haven't seen it, looks like this

It's just some default Windows stuff with a couple tabs. It's been unchanged for what has to be close to a decade. It's built by 1 dude somewhere and it is vastly superior to anything Logitech, or Razer, or Steelseries has put out simply because he didn't get distracted and make a piece of loving GaMeR sOfTwArE and instead made something that just works.

If you cannot control yourself, then expose the hooks necessary to do mouse things via an API and I guarantee the community will pick up the slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a mouse that's particularly long? It seems like about all of the larger mice (Razer Basilisk, Logitech Mx Master 3, etc) are all about the same length when randomly going through them on this mice shape comparison tool.

I've been getting a lot of mouse pain lately and I'm pretty sure it's from my lifelong fingertip grip. I've been trying to switch but with my palm fully on a Razer Basilisk my fingers are hanging off the front. If it was a bit longer I think I could click with a more natural gesture.

(I've tried thumb/finger trackballs but finger just feel completely alien and wrong while thumb causes strain eventually in my hand. I'm trying a vertical mouse but I don't think I can stick with it)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nazattack posted:

So I have no idea if this is posted in this thread all the time, but holy hell I just discovered this. No more Logitech G Hub for me. That program is the worst possible "mouse manager". Logitech has had this up since the end of last year (or at least this version). Whatever it can't do that GHub can, it's worth it to never have to worry about ghub ever again. Looks like I'm going back to AHK for macros instead of my mouse software.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

I really like my logitech mice, but I haven't bought one since the last mouse I bought required G Hub. The random profile switching, switching to the wrong profile on application switch, not switching on application switch, not having PRINT SCREEN!?, the constant crashing... Just SO done and wanted to share this holy grail of finds.

Oh hey that's neat, thanks!

Haven't actually had any issues with GHUB (apart from navigating the menus) but I also only changed one setting in the onboard memory and told it never to launch on startup.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm rapidly getting to the point where my next mouse will end up being the one who can deliver features without the absolute shittiest software imaginable. The level of UX incompetence in nearly all the keyboard/mouse tooling is unbelievable and it seems equally unbelievable that the best interface that I can get is actually X-Mouse Control, which, if you haven't seen it, looks like this

It's just some default Windows stuff with a couple tabs. It's been unchanged for what has to be close to a decade. It's built by 1 dude somewhere and it is vastly superior to anything Logitech, or Razer, or Steelseries has put out simply because he didn't get distracted and make a piece of loving GaMeR sOfTwArE and instead made something that just works.

If you cannot control yourself, then expose the hooks necessary to do mouse things via an API and I guarantee the community will pick up the slack.
I want to try this because everything has to be better than juggling a different control panel for each Logitech device because newer software gets worse and also doesn't reliably support the older devices and vice versa.

I'm still playing with a G700 that needs an ancient LGS version because the newer LGS versions that supported my keyboard are messing with the mouse settings in a bad way. I don't even dare to touch Ghub. Meanwhile Logitech Options for the newer "office" devices can only assign specific functions and shortcuts, but won't pass on Mouse 4/5 to applications and games. I also have an old MX Performance that's still fine and I like the shape, but it would require the old SetPoint software and

LordAdakos
Aug 31, 2009

I'm terms of wrist pain, I tried bigger mice, smaller mice, lighter mice, vertical mice, trackballs: both thumb and fingertip.

Turns out that I had much less wrist pain after I switched to a base of about 600-800 DPI.

Using your arm which is long is better than the wrist which is short.

I am not a doctor, but this has helped me so much maybe someone else will benefit. Your milage may vary.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It always amuses me that my old Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick with gameport to USB adapter I bought in the late 90s to play Freespace is still supported by modern windows. The Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander got dropped like a rock and maybe 10 years after release. I found a guy making a Windows 7 compatible package to support it when I picked it back up for extra buttons at some point that was really barebones but worked great. https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/21-strategic-engine/

To be fair the strategic commander is kind of a device looking for a use since it was meant for RTSes, unlike a joystick, but it was fun for some niche stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rexxed posted:

It always amuses me that my old Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick with gameport to USB adapter I bought in the late 90s to play Freespace is still supported by modern windows. The Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander got dropped like a rock and maybe 10 years after release. I found a guy making a Windows 7 compatible package to support it when I picked it back up for extra buttons at some point that was really barebones but worked great. https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/21-strategic-engine/
Sup fellow Strategic Commander owner. The difference is likely that the joystick appears as a standard USB HID class joystick which does not actually need separate drivers on any remotely modern OS, where for whatever reason the StratCom does things its own way.

My best guess for a reason why they might have done it that way is a lot of games have quirky or unreliable behavior if you attempt to map two different joysticks or gamepads. I'm sure this was even more common in the late '90s.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

LordAdakos posted:

I'm terms of wrist pain, I tried bigger mice, smaller mice, lighter mice, vertical mice, trackballs: both thumb and fingertip.

Turns out that I had much less wrist pain after I switched to a base of about 600-800 DPI.

Using your arm which is long is better than the wrist which is short.

I am not a doctor, but this has helped me so much maybe someone else will benefit. Your milage may vary.

This worked for me too, along with getting a monitor arm to be able to use a 20" deep mousepad with my entire forearm supported

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

M570 arrived. Wish me luck I guess. Doesn't solve replacing my mouse at home but might be nicer than that cheap pos I have at work.
edit: holy poo poo this trackball is SO TWITCHY

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 8, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My mouse pain actually isn't in my wrist but the palm through index/middle finger. Especially the tendon-feeling thing near those fingers. I'm thinking the claw/finger grip is the cause of the pain. A mouse I could hold more relaxed would need to be longer with a hump.

I'm currently trying the Jelly Comb vertical mouse which seems okay. It feels better but the sensitivity can be a problem when dealing with smaller buttons/controls. The texture and position also means I tend to grip it unconsciously too much still since it feels like my hand is slipping off. I'm gonna stick with it longer to see if I get used to it. Since my pain isn't in the wrist I dunno if a vertical mouse is even the solution compared to a differently shaped regular mouse but I haven't found a regular mouse with a shape that looks right.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Idk if this'll be relevant to you, but a comfortable middle click substitute ended up being my defining criteria when looking for a G402 replacement (I ended up getting a new one). There were some mice I rather liked (notably the Basilisk V2) but I couldn't stand the stiff middle mouse buttons. I thought I could adjust, but that just resulted in a lot of unnecessary middle finger pain.

The G402 has two extra index finger buttons; I use the top one as the middle click substitute. It's a light and comfortable click.

Those buttons are actually pretty rare on mice, sadly. I tested a G502, which has the same buttons and I got it for the same price, but I didn't like how heavy it was. Also wasn't a fan of the scroll wheel.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

M570 arrived. Wish me luck I guess. Doesn't solve replacing my mouse at home but might be nicer than that cheap pos I have at work.
edit: holy poo poo this trackball is SO TWITCHY

Following up, yeah, this thing is completely unusable. Yet another return to chalk up on my account I guess.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Following up, yeah, this thing is completely unusable. Yet another return to chalk up on my account I guess.

I really like my M570, maybe you need to drop the sensitivity in windows for it to be not as twitchy? Or maybe another alternative is to use a finger trackball like the Kensington Expert Trackball?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

kimcicle posted:

I really like my M570, maybe you need to drop the sensitivity in windows for it to be not as twitchy? Or maybe another alternative is to use a finger trackball like the Kensington Expert Trackball?

Tested the full range all the way down to 1/11, most of thoee at all 4 mouse acceleration levels, and either it was too twitchy for fine control or it was too slow to use on more than a quarter of my screen with no in between. Finger trackball might be a better solution, at least there's more than one point of contact to stabilize there, the particularly "good" options in that category just happened to be a hell of a lot more expensive so it wasn't my first choice.

4000 Dollar Suit
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

So I recently discovered on the Basilisk ultimate, if you plug the wireless dongle directly into the pc instead of the charging dock, the reliability of the dock goes way up, before I would have to pick up and put down the mouse like 3 or 4 times before it would actually start charging, now it works first time 95% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Are there heavier training weights for the g502? bikini season is coming up and I want one beefy arm before summer's end