Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rinkles posted:

interesting design. a button that's also a functional swipe surface. no idea how customizable it was. but MS seems to have abandoned the idea. this was from the windows 8 era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSsGTzXN3iw

I had one of those. It was a decent travel mouse - Bluetooth, big enough to be comfortable but small enough to easily pack, good tracking on weird surfaces, powered by a AA, and cheap enough I wouldn’t have been heartbroken if I forgot it somewhere. It wouldn’t have been any good for gaming but for work it did a good-enough job. Unfortunately the soft rubber surfaces didn’t hold up. The wheel got slippery and the thumb rest got gross and then just disintegrated after a while.

As far as software was concerned, swipe up and swipe down were just remappable buttons. There was a bit of haptic buzz feedback when you swiped it. The touch strip was an inoffensive but pointless gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

codo27 posted:

A lot of people seem to be narrowing their search too much to just logitech and razer. You need to take a look at Steelseries

It’s what I know and the Logitech tilt wheel stuff mentioned reminded me to look. Steel series looks nice, cheap, has some good RGB, but their spec sheets don’t mention anything about wheel tilt which is a feature I’d ideally like.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fairly certain my Rival 500 has it, though I've never really used it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just picked up a Zowie EC-2. I know the C line is launching this week, but I figured I'd go ahead and grab this one now since I don't mind if it's a little heavier than the new line and the cable isn't paracorded.

I own a good handful of gaming mice, but I do really like this one after a couple hours of Call of Duty. I actually expected it to be a little bigger. I was assuming it was the basis for the G703, but maybe that's the EC-1-- this one is definitely smaller than my G703. I love that it works without any kind of bloatware (there's buttons on the bottom for polling rate and DPI). Using this paired with my Durgod keyboard and I get to remove all sorts of driver software from my computer.

I guess the one thing I miss the most from newer gamer mice is grippyness. Anybody ITT use mouse grip tape? If so, what kind? Does it leave any awful residue if you don't like it or need to recut?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay so my non-Hero Logitech G703 suddenly started skipping today, the first time I have ever gotten a problem on my mouse. Do I have any troubleshooting options or should I just get another mouse? Don't have box/receipt anymore and I doubt it lasted for almost 4 years anyhow.

When I say skipping I mean, it's like, it's not registering my mouse movements. Like if I were to move it to the right, instead of a straight line ____________ it would be like __ ____ __________
Like it's not registering the input in various places

If a new mouse is my best option, what's a good palm wireless mouse now? I could just buy the new Hero version of the G703, or I could branch out, not particularly attached to Logitech. Glorious Model O wireless maybe?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Artelier posted:

Okay so my non-Hero Logitech G703 suddenly started skipping today, the first time I have ever gotten a problem on my mouse. Do I have any troubleshooting options or should I just get another mouse? Don't have box/receipt anymore and I doubt it lasted for almost 4 years anyhow.

When I say skipping I mean, it's like, it's not registering my mouse movements. Like if I were to move it to the right, instead of a straight line ____________ it would be like __ ____ __________

If a new mouse is my best option, what's a good palm wireless mouse now? I could just buy the new Hero version of the G703, or I could branch out, not particularly attached to Logitech. Glorious Model O wireless maybe?

You probably checked this but make sure there isn't a little hair or some other object stuck in the sensor window area. If it's not something like that then yeah, I'd probably shop for a new mouse. I'm not sure what you'd like but try the shape comparison tool if you have a preference.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Artelier posted:

Have you already tried to clean the sensor optics? That type of problem is way more likely to be dirt or fuzz in the optics than anything wrong with the sensor.

First clean the lens on the bottom of the mouse, with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol (75-85%, water it down if you have 99%). And try to look real close in there, see if some tiny bit of fuzz is trapped in the sensor hole. That's super easy. If that doesn't work, next step is opening the shell and either cleaning what you have easy access to, or disassembling to get access to the bottom of the PCB where the sensor optics are. Good chance that just blowing out the insides with compressed air could work, but a thorough cleaning is better. And be sure to clean the wheel while you're in there, it'll make your wheel feel like new.

(My G700 has this problem all the time, it has a deeply recessed sensor hole that's really good at trapping stuff. So it's very easy to fix, I have a pair of fine tweezers at my desk to extract whatever fuzz is in there. But I have cats & one of them likes to sit on the desk.)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I do like the wheel tilt clicker. I’m looking at the Logitech site now and I’m trying to see if there’s one that’s similar to the death adder but with the tilt. The 502 looks too large and has the flared giant thumb rest I don’t like, as well as an additional button that’s right where my finger would rest - I have a finger grip I think it’s called. I think the G403 is exactly what I would want if the scroll wheel has tilt but I can’t tell from the specs page if it does.

Another thing I was wondering but I’ve never really had a mouse with dpi settings before. How does it work against mouse sensitivity? Is it on the same axis wrt how much you move the mouse physically vs how much it moves across the screen or are they on different axes?
They're on the same axes. Basically, sensitivity is the magnitude of the game's response to a mouse event, and DPI is the number of mouse events a motion of 1 inch along one of the mouse axes should generate. Doubling your DPI and halving your sensitivity feels very nearly the same in FPS games (without mouse accel, which obviously responds to the rate of mouse events). There are a few ways the difference can be felt:

1. Desktop! If you have a 4k monitor and set your mouse to 400DPI it takes 11 inches of motion to close a maximized window and go back to the start menu. This is the biggest effect of DPI for most people. If you're not trying to preserve muscle memory for grenade setups or similar, you should probably pick a DPI that feels comfortable for desktop use and leave it there, adjusting your sensitivity to suit. Games like starcraft, DotA, etc. that have a similar mouse model to the desktop may be disorienting if you run them at a different resolution.

2. Making minute motions is easier at lower DPI, but intrinsic jitter is worse. These are both direct consequences of there being a greater distance between mouse events.

3. Some sensors and implementations have nonlinear response (the bad kind of mouse acceleration, often negative) or their DPI doesn't scale the way the rating indicates. This is less of an issue than it used to be, but subtle differences persist.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Hi all,

So I’m in the market for a mouse for my partner who has some specific needs. She recently got a WFH job but she has some pretty severe arthritis in both hands, so I’m trying to find her a mouse that’ll be less painful to use.

I don’t think it needs to be anything too fancy, but something with additional buttons she can assign to various keyboard functions such as copy, paste, delete, quote symbol, command + F (Find) etc. would be ideal. It does need to be Mac-compatible, however. Wireless is preferred but wired can work as well.

I’m not really sure where to begin looking (I’ve always just bought $10 mice from Amazon and used them until they broke) so any advice is appreciated!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Panic Restaurant posted:

So I’m in the market for a mouse for my partner who has some specific needs. She recently got a WFH job but she has some pretty severe arthritis in both hands, so I’m trying to find her a mouse that’ll be less painful to use.

This may complicate the extra inputs part of the request, but has she tried switching to a trackball before? If not you should definitely consider that. Trackballs are generally better for people with severe ergonomic issues like arthritis or RSI.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Putting all those functions on the mouse sounds like a bad idea, a physical therapist would probably recommend using a keyboard as much as possible (possibly using sticky keys or autohotkey macros to decrease the necessity for bending or stretching). But ask a PT for your wife’s specific circumstances.

The mouse just isn’t a good place for lots of commonly used buttons, keeping your hand on the mouse all the time stresses the arm more than having hands on the keyboard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah these posters are right OP. It's a steep learning curve for the muscle memory, but if she has bad arthritis there's really no way to go but to learn to use a trackball+2 buttons for a mouse and do everything else with a keyboard (it takes some setup but you can also map some things to a foot pedal to further reduce use of the hands/fingers.)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Check out some finger trackballs.
Here are some common options:

Kensington expert (4 buttons, scroll ring, ambidextrous, big big ball) - I've tried this briefly and liked it, I don't own one though. Separate wireless and wired versions.

Logitech trackman marble (4? buttons, no scroll wheel, ambidextrous, small ball) - very cheap, but I've heard it's quite decent. might not be bad to just try trackballs out. I think it's wired only.

Elecom deft pro (more buttons than I use, scroll wheel, right handed, pretty big ball) -- I use this and I really like it, but it has a wear in period. Very comfortable but the bearings might feel "sticky". Can use it wired, over Bluetooth or 2.4ghz.

See what works for your wife. Other suggestions here like hotkeys/macros, footpedals, macropads etc might be worth a look too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
My MX Master's LMB isn't working over half the time I'm clicking it, RIP. I bought a new one ("MX Master for Business" in OEM packaging), which somehow manages to feel cheaper and also clicks way louder than the old one :argh:

I think I need to figure out how to fix the old one...

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Thank you all very much for the advice! I think we’re going to try a trackball to start, I completely forgot those were an option. Possibly a foot pedal as well- her left hand is significantly worse than her right so most keyboards still seem like they might cause some issues. The job offer was a very spur of the moment thing so we didn’t have a chance to look into a comfortable setup ahead of time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

orcane posted:

My MX Master's LMB isn't working over half the time I'm clicking it, RIP. I bought a new one ("MX Master for Business" in OEM packaging), which somehow manages to feel cheaper and also clicks way louder than the old one :argh:

I think I need to figure out how to fix the old one...

This isn't a switch replacement guide but you can use this guide to take it apart and get to the PCB with the switches on it:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Cleaning+Logitech+MX+Master/113126

At step 7 they remove the PCB with the two switches on it for RMB and LMB. You could desolder those and solder in some new ones.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A sale going on for the Logitech G604, just picked one up at Best Buy for $64 (price matched Amazon).

My Logitech G602 suffering from intermittent connection issues, seems to be not an uncommon problem.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I just picked up a Zowie EC-2. I know the C line is launching this week, but I figured I'd go ahead and grab this one now since I don't mind if it's a little heavier than the new line and the cable isn't paracorded.

I own a good handful of gaming mice, but I do really like this one after a couple hours of Call of Duty. I actually expected it to be a little bigger. I was assuming it was the basis for the G703, but maybe that's the EC-1-- this one is definitely smaller than my G703. I love that it works without any kind of bloatware (there's buttons on the bottom for polling rate and DPI). Using this paired with my Durgod keyboard and I get to remove all sorts of driver software from my computer.

I guess the one thing I miss the most from newer gamer mice is grippyness. Anybody ITT use mouse grip tape? If so, what kind? Does it leave any awful residue if you don't like it or need to recut?

Precut BT.L is the way to go for mouse grips

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Neurosis posted:

The soon-to-be-relased Kone Pro Air looks great for anyone who's not a fan of the standard Intellimouse/Zowie shape the overwhelming majority of ergo mice have. It's like the kone pure shape with a slightly less aggressive groove on the left - the super deep thumb hole was my only complaint with that shape. 76g, wireless. Ideally I'd like it to be a few g lighter but it looks pretty damned great.

Edit: There's a wired version which is 66g. I'll definitely be getting one of those - it's a bit cheaper too at $80 compared to the wireless' $130.

Picked up a wired version of this. Impression:
(1) I prefer the shape to the Kone Pure Ultra fractionally, as the groove on the left is much less pronounced creating a more natural grip, particularly when using a fingertip grip (my grip is mostly fingertip although when I relax it I suppose it ends up being somewhere between palm and fingertip).
(2) It's slightly too large for my hands, particularly in width. I have fairly average hands at 18cmx10.5cm.
(3) Standard things that are excellent on Roccat mice - lovely coating (which no doubt will wear off after a few months), scroll wheel has a nice tactile feel. Only let-down is that I can hear a rattle when I pick it up and shake it - not something I notice in ordinary use.
(4) The feet are way better than the Kone Pure Ultra's were. Very nice glide. My flick shots are fantastic with this thing.
(5) Despite being listed as having the same weight as the Kone Pure Ultra, it feels like it might be slightly lighter. From reviews I saw, Roccat erred on the side of caution in listing Kone Pro weights, so this adds up.
(6) The cable isn't plastic. Seems similar to a third party paracord but maybe slightly less flexible.

Excellent mouse overall. If it were slightly shrunk it'd be practically perfect.

Edit: Oh and

(7) The clicks on the Kone Pure Ultra were really light - maybe a little too light. These switches (which are opticals) are slightly heavier and imo are pretty much perfect. They have a slightly more hollow and deeper sound than ordinary switches if that bothers you.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 15, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone have any experience with Logitech Flow? Does it work well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rs6WMN0uUE

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have any experience with Logitech Flow? Does it work well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rs6WMN0uUE

I can't possibly imagine it working better than synergy or barrier

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klyith posted:

I can't possibly imagine it working better than synergy or barrier

haven't heard of those, thanks, will look them up

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
For single player gaming, and mmos, how important is input latency, and could I get away with a wireless mouse and keyboard? Or even a Wireless USB Hub?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

For single player gaming, and mmos, how important is input latency, and could I get away with a wireless mouse and keyboard? Or even a Wireless USB Hub?

It depends a lot. The difference between a really great implementation of Wireless e.g. Logitech Lightspeed is acceptable even at the Esports level, but a really lovely implementation is going to add several 10s of milliseconds. Whether or not you notice or care is highly subjective. If you are asking though, you probably won't.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I would say a better way of putting it is that when it comes to input latency, most of the best mice you can get today are wireless. Budget and wanting a specific mouse that is only available wired are the only reasons to not go wireless at this point. There always have been and always will be peripherals with high latency, but since Lightspeed and its competitors came to market there is no reason to avoid wireless for performance. The impacts of ergonomics, including the ergonomics of not having a wire, are a far bigger factor when choosing between the best of today's mice.

Beyond that, for MMOs and most single player games, even a relatively high latency mouse is tolerable to many people. Mouse latency has always been very noticeable to me, but there were also millions of people swearing wireless mice were "fine" on previous generations of wireless even when there were latency penalties of 20 or 50 milliseconds. While I'd encourage you to prefer a proper low-latency mouse, I'm not going to say outright that you personally will have bad experiences in non-competitive games regardless of what you choose.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

but there were also millions of people swearing wireless mice were "fine" on previous generations of wireless even when there were latency penalties of 20 or 50 milliseconds.

You can find wired gaming mice that have ~20ms more latency than others right now, and they aren't widely called out as being unplayable garbage that you can't be competitive with. The latency thing is often super overblown.

I've been using wireless mice since the MX1000 in like 2005-2006, back when everyone said they were terrible. Logitech's mice have proprietary wireless tech, not random bluetooth junk where latency is a total crapshoot, but I'm sure the older ones I used (MX1000 and MX620) had more latency than a wired gaming mouse of the time. It was fine. And once upon a time I was tryhard in multiplayer shooters.

The big thing that's changed over time with wireless mice is that the power saving is a lot smarter. Many years ago, even the "good" wireless mice had sometimes janky behavior with that, like little micro-delays at the start of movement after just 10 or 15 seconds of rest.

Also the other thing that often gives wireless mice a bad name is that wireless can have interference. Most of them use 2.4ghz just like wifi and bluetooth, so people that have their wireless router right next to their PC or plug the dongle into the back of the case might have problems and blame it on wireless mice in general rather than their setup.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A family computer from more than a decade ago had a wireless mouse and the receiver was a titan compared to the dongles these days.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It would take all of once for the thing to die in the middle of a game and I'd hammer fist it into oblivion as if by Mjolnir and revert back to my Intellimouse Optical 1.1 (of which I have several)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My Viper Ultimate takes maybe 5 days at least to go from 100-20%, and it starts blinking red and showing alerts at that point so it's hard to actually run it out. I certainly never have.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

It would take all of once for the thing to die in the middle of a game and I'd hammer fist it into oblivion as if by Mjolnir and revert back to my Intellimouse Optical 1.1 (of which I have several)

You should work on your emotional control and mental balance. That'll improve your performance about 10x more than any piece of equipment.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

K8.0 posted:

My Viper Ultimate takes maybe 5 days at least to go from 100-20%, and it starts blinking red and showing alerts at that point so it's hard to actually run it out. I certainly never have.

Wow, really? Are those full days or just a few hours? My Basilisk lasts 2 days at most, but I work from home now so it's in use for like 15 hours a day. Now that I write it out, I'm realizing how much lower it is than the max 100 hours it's supposed to last.

Its connection also died mid-game for the first time a couple days ago. Couldn't get it back until I unplugged and replugged the dongle. I was pretty annoyed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Do you have the :pcgaming: RGB enabled? That usually has a huge impact on battery life with wireless mice, and the quoted battery life figures are always with it disabled

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

repiv posted:

Do you have the :pcgaming: RGB enabled? That usually has a huge impact on battery life with wireless mice, and the quoted battery life figures are always with it disabled

I do use the lighting, but it's set to static white at 15% brightness. Guess it would make sense to try turning it off entirely and compare the battery life.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I bought a sensei 310 with a coupon I got from slickdeals a few weeks ago and hated it because I kept accidentally pressing the right side buttons.

I deactivated the buttons but for some reason no matter how I tried to hold the mouse I kept clicking the rear right side button and it pissed me off.

So... I decided to pull the thing apart and take out the right side buttons altogether. I had to order a new pair of skates for it but once I get those on the thing I'll let you guys know if it really improved things or not.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Anybody else have a g pro superlight with really heavy side buttons? This poo poo sucks.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I bought one of those vertical mice then, I've heard those are better for your wrists.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
My Corsair Scimitar Pro is double clicking, so I'm looking for a new mouse. I don't care about adjustable dpi or lights, but I do like having a bunch of programmable buttons. Size wise, it was good, but I liked my Logitech G602 a bit better. Actually, if it were available, I'd probably just get another one.

I have a mild preference for wired over wireless, and a budget of up to $100 CAD before tax. Any suggestions?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

My Corsair Scimitar Pro is double clicking, so I'm looking for a new mouse. I don't care about adjustable dpi or lights, but I do like having a bunch of programmable buttons. Size wise, it was good, but I liked my Logitech G602 a bit better. Actually, if it were available, I'd probably just get another one.

I have a mild preference for wired over wireless, and a budget of up to $100 CAD before tax. Any suggestions?

How about this
https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-5

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

unpronounceable posted:

My Corsair Scimitar Pro is double clicking, so I'm looking for a new mouse.

Get something with optical switches. Supposedly they last a lot longer than the lovely mechanical ones that are the norm nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So my dumb rear end tried to super glue the original pads back on (which didn't work as you can probably imagine).

I ordered a new set of pads off of amazon and after some goo gone and rubbing alcohol (getting the caked on super glue off the the mouse lol) I now have a fully function sensi 310 minus the right 'side buttons'.

It's 100 times better but honestly I should have just gotten the rival 310 or whatever. Oh well at least I got a great deal on it and the switches will probably give out after 2 years either way :frogdunce: