Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Using a compressor, as in a garage level one, if you can control the PSI, maybe. They are often way overpowered for electrical components and there is a risk you could damage something. A can of compressed air would be my recommendation.

For applying lubrication, you might be able to get it in the right spot, might not. It could be a small gear, it could be plastic rubbing against itself/the mount (either the mouse wheel mount or if it came slightly loose from the pcb). As said, spray some on something, aluminum foil is a good one, and using a toothpick to put just a tiny amount where you think it should go. I really wouldn't use anything much larger than that as you only need a drop at most in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Do y'all got any recommendations for ways to black out LEDs on mice? I've got some flavour of logitech mouse that has LEDs turned off in the profile but it still goes bananas for 10 seconds on boot and shutdown. Or perhaps there's a setting in the software that I'm not aware of?

Mouse in question is wired, the sticker says Logitech G Pro Gaming Mouse. Not sure if that helps, google image search with that name turns up a ton of mice that all look slightly different. I'm pretty sure half their line-up is actually the same drat mouse with a different colour or shape.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Fruits of the sea posted:

Do y'all got any recommendations for ways to black out LEDs on mice? I've got some flavour of logitech mouse that has LEDs turned off in the profile but it still goes bananas for 10 seconds on boot and shutdown. Or perhaps there's a setting in the software that I'm not aware of?

Mouse in question is wired, the sticker says Logitech G Pro Gaming Mouse. Not sure if that helps, google image search with that name turns up a ton of mice that all look slightly different. I'm pretty sure half their line-up is actually the same drat mouse with a different colour or shape.

I have the same question because I have a Logitech G Pro something keyboard that during boot doesn't care at all what my settings are. This seems to just be the way Logitech does things.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
For a keyboard, if we're talking about per key RGB, I don't think there's an easy way to do anything since the LEDs are individually connected to the PCB. There's probably a way to de-solder or de-wire each individual LED but I've never done it and it sounds like a ton of work that might lead to a brick, plus if you want to sell it or get the RGB back down the line it's going to be 10 times more work to re-wire everything.

For mice it's a little more realistic but it also involves opening it up. If you're lucky and your LEDs are connected with a ribbon cable you can just disconnect it and you're done, but if it's not you could probably block the diffuser from the inside (with electrical tape, for example) or, if you're ok with something more permanent, remove the LEDs themselves.

Software-wise I don't think there's any way to do it; I have a G703 with on-board memory and even when everything set to off on-board and G Hub uninstalled, I always get SOME lighting.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
De-solder? No, my God no. I was meaning "the company that builds these should". Have it so I can save the rgb configuration on the actual device, at least a way to tell it "use this color everywhere by default if you have nothing else to go by".

Because the current default which is "spit rainbow" is terrible.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If they have a separate cable that isn't needed for other functions that's definitely the best way. But a lot of the time the LEDs are on a PCB that also has buttons or other important stuff. Or sometimes a device won't function with the RGB cable unplugged.

Black enamel paint (like old school model paint) is opaque enough to block lights if you dab it on. Black acrylic paint needs a couple coats. (Also acrylic you need to wait an hour or two until it is 100% dry, since it's water-based and therefore conductive. Oil-based enamel paint dries real fast.)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, I may try to disassemble it then. If something goes wrong, I have a spare wireless version in my laptop bag.

E: the spare is apparently a rather cheaper G305 but I never noticed a difference until I checked just now :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
It's turning it on during shutdown and boot up because that is the default base software that is loaded on the mouse, as the Logitech Software has no say at that point because it hasn't loaded yet (bootup) or has been shut off (shutdown).

If it has an onboard profile, you might be able to keep it on that with RGB off, and maybe it defaults to profile upon initialization. I'd guess that the RGB is just there to acknowledge to the user that "Yes, the mouse is on", and that's how it is, or if a loaded profile would become the new default.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well, the back button on my Logitech G305 has finally crapped out entirely even after cleaning so I pulled the trigger on a Corsair Sabre Pro Wireless for $40. It should be way better because I can simultaneously connect to my Steam Deck over Bluetooth when it's docked and in use as an HTPC also

change my name fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 26, 2022

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021

KingKapalone posted:

The G Pro X Superlight is $85 at Adorama. I've had a G Pro for 3.5 years (well actually like a year in the DPI switch started double clicking so they replaced it) and I'm wondering if the upgrade is worth it. Mine also might be getting a double click on the wheel now.

I've thought about the Razer V2 Pro since I saw rtings.com has it at their best. Rocket jump ninja doesn't have a review though. Anyone try both or go from a G Pro to one or the other?

The G Pro x Superlight is hands down the best mouse I have ever owned. If you can get it for sub $100 go for it. I don't play videogames much, and it's championed for that specifically, but even for DAWs and Excel and web browsing it cannot be beat. It's light enough to cause no wrist strain but much more accurate than a trackball (the giant ball you move around with your hand not the old school style of mouse). Until I get some kind of wire in my head that lets me interface with computers directly it is probably my endgame, though I still keep a wireless kensington orbit for when I'm traveling and cant use a whole mousepad.

I had a G305 and felt like a perforated 3d printed shell was a good upgrade (as long as the weight is still evenly distributed) but don't feel like the G Pro x Superlight needs any mods.

Previously I owned a G604 but that was sluggish and the placement of the side buttons was awkward and clearly meant for MMO and RTS nerds.

Don't buy Razer products.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

My Razer Viper has finally started breaking down. I'd like to get that Razer Viper V2 Pro to replace it but it's still like 160 euros here. Rip

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

De-solder? No, my God no. I was meaning "the company that builds these should". Have it so I can save the rgb configuration on the actual device, at least a way to tell it "use this color everywhere by default if you have nothing else to go by".

Because the current default which is "spit rainbow" is terrible.

Roccat mice (at least the 3 models I've owned) store their LED config on the mouse and keep it even without the software installed (although the extra button functionality does need the software).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really like the shape and feel of the Razer Pro Click (their productivity mouse). I have big hands and I like the curvature and the little "thumb rest" thing. I bought a Basilisk because I thought it was bigger, but I'm really not a fan of the shape and feel. Any recommendations for a bigger gaming mouse? I'm not one of those crazy ultra light mouse people. I just want something that is comfortable. I've been using a Viper for a few years and I don't mind it, I just wish it was bigger.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm looking for something basic, wired, with forward/back side buttons that aren't super tiny. I've been using a Razer Deathadder Elite that I got for free from a roommate who upgraded to some fancy gamer mouse, and the shape and feel is more or less what I'm looking for but the thing is a high maintenance piece of poo poo that keeps having scroll wheel or optical issues. Something that isn't a hundred bucks would be preferable, I don't need anything fancy.

EDIT: I don't particularly care about weight but I do have large hands.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 8, 2022

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I'm looking for something basic, wired, with forward/back side buttons that aren't super tiny. I've been using a Razer Deathadder Elite that I got for free from a roommate who upgraded to some fancy gamer mouse, and the shape and feel is more or less what I'm looking for but the thing is a high maintenance piece of poo poo that keeps having scroll wheel or optical issues. Something that isn't a hundred bucks would be preferable, I don't need anything fancy.

EDIT: I don't particularly care about weight but I do have large hands.

Zowie EC1-C/EC2-C or Deathadder essential.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yerok posted:

Zowie EC1-C/EC2-C or Deathadder essential.

Thanks!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I have had absolutely poo poo luck with the scroll wheels on Razer mice. I have two wired Basilisks and a Basilisk X, and all three either drop scroll clicks or have gotten "sticky" scroll wheels. It sucks because I like the mice themselves.

Both my G903 and G502 have been perfect, however.

Before you ask, I'm meticulous about clean hands. I wash my hands so frequently that I have to put on a healing lotion at night that I wash off in the morning.

The Razer grip tape is fantastic, though. I put it on everything from mice to my Steam Deck.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My Ninjutso Sora arrived yesterday. Good first impression, but the mouse feet it came with are a little scratchy since they don't have rounded edges so I'll probably be looking to replace those when possible. The shape is fairly similar to the g pro x superlight I had been using. Build quality seems great , satisfying clicks & mouse wheel scroll. I'm gonna miss having my battery display on the stream deck but oh well. It's soooo light, gonna take some getting used to for gaming I think.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

My Kone Pro Air scrollwheel broke, so while I was waiting for that RMA I snagged a white Deathadder v3 Pro and the 4khz dongle. The dongle was out of stock everywhere stateside and hella overpriced on ebay, so I got one from China for MSRP on Aliexpress (Shipping estimate was 6-8 weeks but I got it in 3)

I like everything about it a lot more! This shape def suits my hand the best and the texture is nice. Battery life is ~2/3rds of normal in 4khz mode, which is fine I maybe have to plug it in every 3-5 days. The 4khz dongle was giving me some intermittent audio interference before I snapped on a ferrite bead (This is USB-C's fault as a function of the increased power draw compared to the normal dongle)

The 70G max accel and 99.8% accuracy is a surprising step up over the 50/99.5 on the Kone Pro Air, the margins are getting so small but the difference feels outsized. Even though there's no smoothing until 6400dpi I still find 3200 a touch more consistent. I'll spare you the frequency graphs and reaction time measurements (~ -13%), its a quantifiable improvement.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone tried out the new Razer Naga Pro v2? I'm super tempted and seeing reviews it's good for fingertip mousing. The swappable side panel seems like it could be interesting, too. I like the G602, so it having an option for the MOBA-style 6-button is what caught my eye.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My G602 finally died for real :( But I bought a G604 which is an upgrade in every way - except the mouse wheel.

The G602 had a nice rubbery mouse wheel with great grip. The G604 is just plastic with some grooves on it and, with it's strong spring, feels incredibly slippery. It's probably not something that would bother most people, but my hands were burned when I was young and my fingertips don't have much in the way of grip left on them, so it is an issue for me.

As weird as it feels to ask this, is there a wax or anything you can use to increase grip? I was thinking of buying some finger wax dart players use and rubbing that on it.

EDIT: okay, one trip to the sports store later and can confirm - finger wax does a great job of giving me enough grip. $5 for a little lump of wax is much better than looking for a new mouse.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 26, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My G602 finally died for real :( But I bought a G604 which is an upgrade in every way - except the mouse wheel.

The G602 had a nice rubbery mouse wheel with great grip. The G604 is just plastic with some grooves on it and, with it's strong spring, feels incredibly slippery. It's probably not something that would bother most people, but my hands were burned when I was young and my fingertips don't have much in the way of grip left on them, so it is an issue for me.

As weird as it feels to ask this, is there a wax or anything you can use to increase grip? I was thinking of buying some finger wax dart players use and rubbing that on it.

EDIT: okay, one trip to the sports store later and can confirm - finger wax does a great job of giving me enough grip. $5 for a little lump of wax is much better than looking for a new mouse.

People use grip tape on mice all the time. Not sure how that or “finger wax” would work on the wheel which is rotating inside the body and rubbing on stuff though.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can swap it out for the G903 wheel assembly but it'll be half the original cost of the mouse in parts plus you have to disassemble it and replace the feet afterwards.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
What could be getting in the way of Logitech software detecting that an app assigned to a profile is running? I point the mouse profile at the .exe on my drive, then I run that game and the profile does not automatically switch, I'll have to manually toggle the profile as persistent in order for it to actually work in-game. I've used the older LGS software for a decade with a bevy of devices and games and the auto-switching has been reliable, but for the past 6 months or so I've been having to force the profiles to switch. I figured Logitech updated the LGS software and finally broke something so I expected G-Hub to fix this issue when I switched to it for my new 502 X Lightspeed, but nope. Same games with the same problem. Something on my Win 10 system is blocking most apps (by not apps) from being noticed by the software.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Copper Vein posted:

What could be getting in the way of Logitech software detecting that an app assigned to a profile is running? I point the mouse profile at the .exe on my drive, then I run that game and the profile does not automatically switch, I'll have to manually toggle the profile as persistent in order for it to actually work in-game. I've used the older LGS software for a decade with a bevy of devices and games and the auto-switching has been reliable, but for the past 6 months or so I've been having to force the profiles to switch. I figured Logitech updated the LGS software and finally broke something so I expected G-Hub to fix this issue when I switched to it for my new 502 X Lightspeed, but nope. Same games with the same problem. Something on my Win 10 system is blocking most apps (by not apps) from being noticed by the software.

I've been having issues with that with LGS (9.04.49 specifically) on my new machine. Doesn't always respect alt-tabs, which is pretty annoying.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

:patriot: RIP G602

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I upgraded from a G Pro to a G Pro Superlight. Are people using the little sticky grips it comes with? How about the little disk with the slidey surface? I'm going to miss the DPI button on the bottom. I would lower it before switching to a shooter. I guess I just have to do that in the software?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

KingKapalone posted:

I upgraded from a G Pro to a G Pro Superlight. Are people using the little sticky grips it comes with? How about the little disk with the slidey surface? I'm going to miss the DPI button on the bottom. I would lower it before switching to a shooter. I guess I just have to do that in the software?

I don't use the grip stickers but I think the glide puck/extra foot is kinda neat.

If you're OK with losing one of the buttons you can set 3,4 or 5 as a DPI switch or G-switch (I know you can do it with OMM but I'm 90% sure you can also do it with G Hub), or you can set a game-dependent profile with a different DPI that should be applied automatically when you launch specific games.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Goddamn!

A mere six months after this...

Hyperlynx posted:

I want a six-button gaming mouse that doesn't poo poo the bed after a few years. I'm currently using a Logitech G403. Previously a Steelseries somethingorother, previously a Razer Diamondback. Each one has had something go really wrong with it after a relatively short time.

I thought I'd try Logitech this time around, because their other stuff is well-nigh indestructible. I mean, I've got plain old three-button Logitech mice that have lasted like a decade. But no, this precious delicate princess's middle-click started steadily degrading and now doesn't work at all.

Any recommendations? I just want two main buttons, a clickable scrollwheel, two thumb buttons, and something you can push to toggle the sensitivity. And have it not break down.

...the Razer DeathAdder V2 I bought is now ALSO starting to not middle-click properly! The past few days, sometimes the click just doesn't register. FFS.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The state of mainstream mice manufacturers is a bit sad. None of the big players are really doing a good job right now, but there are a bunch of new folks that are doing better at least. That is to say I maintain what I always maintain: Razer's products are kinda dogshit. I'm not nearly as gungho about Logitech as I was five years ago, but if I was buying a mainline mouse, it'd probably still be from them

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 31, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The state of mainstream mice manufacturers is a bit sad. None of the big players are really doing a good job right now, but they're are a bunch of new folks that are doing better at least. That is to say I maintain what I always maintain: Razer's products are kinda dogshit. I'm not nearly as gungho about Logitech as I was five years ago, but if I was buying a mainline mouse, it'd probably still be from them

I bought the Razer to replace a Logitech. For this exact same problem, too :(

Who are the new folks? Any you'd particularly recommend?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I know this is 2 weeks old but I just realized this could potentially be useful to someone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTB-iNt4cyE

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

I bought the Razer to replace a Logitech. For this exact same problem, too :(

If it's only been 6 months it may have been defective and you can get it replaced at least. But yeah, scroll wheels are probably the weakest link now in mice that use optical switches for the main buttons. There's not a major difference between Logitech and Razer anymore, and I'm not aware of other manufacturers being much better in general.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I use a Pwnage mouse (yes, I know, the name is the worst) and I really like it. I've only had it about a year so I can't say too much about its reliability out of the box, but it has great performance and on-device settings so you don't have to keep some garbage app running all the time.

Most importantly, the entire thing is made to be completely repairable, you can take it all apart without any tools and clean anything that needs cleaning, or replace switches or buttons or anything else. I highly recommend it. Only downside is that it's on the smaller side and I prefer larger mice. But I've accepted I'll never find a good wireless mouse with buttons that aren't rear end that can match the glory of the MX518.

It's also apparently on sale right now, for a great price for a high-end wireless mouse (they have wired too if you like that): https://pwnage.com/

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

I've not been in the hardware testing world for some time so all I have now is anecdotes, which is worth about...gently caress all. With that said, I personally know of no Glorious mice that have died in the wild yet, and I have friends who say nice things about their Corsair mice (but I don't put a lot of stock in that). I've personally been driving more and more with the Zaunkoenig M2K and have been quite pleased with it as an 'ultra-ultra-light' option. I still don't use it for most gaming things because I want M4/M5 for those things and the M2K is mega cut down. I hoping M3Ks have more features because they are starting to get close to what I'd actually want out of my 'everything' mouse.

Again, this is all anecdotes and shouldn't be treated as anything but that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

for logitech just use Onboard Memory Manager if it's good enough for you and don't use GHUB

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

KingKapalone posted:

i use the aperture cover and the sticky grips! i was using a razer viper that had some rubber grippy stuff on the sides that i like, so the grip stickers on the superlight help mimic that feeling. plus, i have small hands and the superlight feels very smooth to me, so the grip stickers help me not strain my arm and hand so much when dying in stupid ways in fps games.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The state of mainstream mice manufacturers is a bit sad. None of the big players are really doing a good job right now, but there are a bunch of new folks that are doing better at least. That is to say I maintain what I always maintain: Razer's products are kinda dogshit. I'm not nearly as gungho about Logitech as I was five years ago, but if I was buying a mainline mouse, it'd probably still be from them

Razer is actually pushing things pretty well for the past 4-5 years. They have a good wireless 4khz option now, which is a big step ahead of anyone else. The only real problem with Razer ATM is that they do RGB and thus their software stack is trash, because RGB is always trash and any software that interacts with it is always trash.

Also, Razer and Logitech are both doing consistently good wireless and wired mice are simply not worth considering at this point unless money is an extreme issue (even then, the G305 exists and I would take that over any wired mouse any day). The small companies on the edge of the industry are IMO nothing but gimmicks, much like companies selling titanium bicycles and other poo poo that is actually worse than the cheaper mainstream options.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Razer is actually pushing things pretty well for the past 4-5 years. They have a good wireless 4khz option now, which is a big step ahead of anyone else. The only real problem with Razer ATM is that they do RGB and thus their software stack is trash, because RGB is always trash and any software that interacts with it is always trash.

Also, Razer and Logitech are both doing consistently good wireless and wired mice are simply not worth considering at this point unless money is an extreme issue (even then, the G305 exists and I would take that over any wired mouse any day). The small companies on the edge of the industry are IMO nothing but gimmicks, much like companies selling titanium bicycles and other poo poo that is actually worse than the cheaper mainstream options.

Razer's box features are good, but the issues I'm concerned about, and the issues that drove that initial reply are things that aren't on the box: Build Quality, Consistency, Support, Etc. -- "Will this mouse actually last?"

Razer makes cheap poo poo. It's cheap poo poo with a fun chip on it, but it's still cheap poo poo and it kinda irks me that they are charging north of $100 for some of their cheap poo poo. Also yeah, their software is dogshit.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 3, 2023

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Viper v2 pro, no rgb and some of the only relatively reliable left/right buttons. Great mouse and I rarely have to open synapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Unbelievable to me how this thread is 95% logi and razer. I've had great success with all my Steelseries products. I know one guy here had a lemon mouse but thats going to happen, and thats why theres warranty. The little OLED display on my keyboard of all things is definitely a cheap (expensive) gimmick but the hardware is all good. Try it!