Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I prefer wired, as I hate dealing with batteries and charging for something so simple.

And as I said, I'd rather have a decent, good mouse than another cheap chinese POS that comes with every boxed desktop computer. Like, I have a little lenovo mouse that came with a keyboard set, and it's fine and does the job. But it doesn't have 5 buttons, so I don't want to keep using it.

Again, I don't mind paying an $40-80 for a mouse that has better quality, better ergonomics, etc. than the cheap disposable $15 mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

keep in mind for modern wireless mice, charging is just plugging in the mouse cord. you're not swapping aaa batteries or w/e unless you get them from the bargain bin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I miss the early days of the expensive Logitech cordless laser optical mice where they came with a little dock that you put the mouse into overnight every 3-4 days.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Razer Diamondback (the original one not the 2015 one lmao) might've had enough. The left button isn't debouncing properly and will often register two clicks instead of one which is casuing lots of issues. I'll see if I can just replace the switch because I sure as hell don't want to look for and choose a new mouse :cry:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

comedyblissoption posted:

keep in mind for modern wireless mice, charging is just plugging in the mouse cord. you're not swapping aaa batteries or w/e unless you get them from the bargain bin.

Depends on the mouse, the ones that are more productivity oriented like the M720 are often still using replaceable batteries. The ones that are USB charged would functionally be a wired mouse for the OP's purposes though, yeah.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fatrick posted:

I prefer wired, as I hate dealing with batteries and charging for something so simple.

Charging turns most of them into a wired mouse. It plugs in right where the wire goes on normal mice & you can use it as a wired mouse during charging (or always if you want). And it only needs to happen once per week for 60-90 minutes with 16 hour per day usage or once per month or so for normal people.

Most have a battery built-in and there won't be a need to replace it for the product's lifetime.

I hate wireless anything, usually because it's poorly implemented, but mice are the one wireless thing I use. The implementation on modern mice is extremely good.

For the logitech mice I have, you plug the wire into a usb port where you'd plug your mouse normally. Then you put it somewhere on your desk where the mouse wire would go and connect the wireless dongle to it. When you want to charge, you pop off the dongle and plug it into the mouse. And keep using the mouse like normal. There's no need to turn anything on/off and there's no delay when you start moving the mouse.

Some decent wired mice, not sure prices and you should check their size vs your hand size/preferred size:

Pulsefire haste 2 (wired version)
Vaxee makes a bunch (ex-zowie employees made their own company, these cost the same/more than a lot of midrange wireless mice tho)
Zowie has some
Razer makes a bunch, viper mini & deathadder 2 mini are both very good and cheap. Depending on hand size/how you hold the mouse, they might be too small.
mm712 (wired version)

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I have bigger hands, so I use palm grip. So the larger ones work better for me.

The Intellimouse is 130~mm long, which I can rest comfortably on. So something in that size works best.

It cuts out a lot of choices I find in my searches.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Check out the Deathadder or ASUS ROG Gladius or that one Zowie that has a similar shape.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you hate dealing with charging there's also Logitech's wireless charging mousepad, but it costs as much as a mouse itself and it only works with specific models. Worth considering if you've picked out your forever mouse and it happens to be compatible, but probably not a selling point by itself.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Thanks Ants posted:

I miss the early days of the expensive Logitech cordless laser optical mice where they came with a little dock that you put the mouse into overnight every 3-4 days.

Razer has a couple of mice I believe where you can get a dock for it (either they come with, or it's an extra purchase).

Logitech has the charging mat setup, which is very much an extra cost, though does work with some of the mice. The mouse pad is simply a large wireless charger.

As said, wireless now a days is as fast, if not faster, than wired. Most every wireless mouse, except the very cheap ones, come with some form of rechargeable battery in them, and connecting the USB cable (which most are now USB-C) recharges it. I haven't looked in a while, but I think most will last a day or two, and can be used "wired" if you wish (transmit wireless, cable is just there to charge).

Fatrick posted:

I need to replace my mouse.

I have the Intellimouse Explorer Classic.

If you like the Intellimouse, get another. I believe they are still in full production, just with more modern sensors in them. If you get something and don't like, then I would suggest ordering through Amazon, so as to take advantage of their return policy.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

comedyblissoption posted:

Or its a lower model of a microsoft or logi mouse thats meant for laptop use/travel and is budget minded so the battery is user swapped.

Thanks Ants posted:

MX700 gang gang.

I rolled one of those foreeeeever.

Honestly as fast as mice charge anymore not remembering isn't a huge deal. I keep my dongles near my mousepad on the extension cables the mice come with. That way if I have to charge because I'm a big dummy and forgot to plug my poo poo in at some point during the month, I can still charge and use the thing.

Generally if I plug it in, use it for a few, grab a cup of coffee, answer a couple emails, its full enough to not care again for a few weeks at a min. I think I charge this thing once every other month at this point? Not sure. It lasts forever, just like my logitechs did.

Love my m600 cheap rear end chinese clone mouse for desktop use.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I still have my cordless Logitech MX1000 with the dock, and last I checked (maybe three years ago?) it still worked, but its performance is lacking compared to modern mice. Also the battery is worn pretty badly from sitting off for a long time, but it held up to a couple of days of use when I needed it. That was one I used so much I wore down the feet and made replacements with a couple layers of masking tape and some FRAG TAPE (some kind of ptfe tape).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

Depends on the mouse, the ones that are more productivity oriented like the M720 are often still using replaceable batteries.

EbolaIvory posted:

Or its a lower model of a microsoft or logi mouse thats meant for laptop use/travel and is budget minded so the battery is user swapped.

OTOH the non-gaming mice can get months of use out of a set of batteries. Even the cheap ones.

All the low-latency radios and high polling rates and super-high-dpi sensors in gaming mice chew up a lot more power.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

or if you are drawn to a gaming model for whatever reason you can usually drop the polling rate in the software to extend the battery life

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm using a G603 with Eneloops and they last a really long time

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thanks Ants posted:

that was also before they worked out how much juice they really needed to be putting into the bluetooth antenna because those mice and keyboard sets would still work from like 50 yards away

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Got my Thor pad from X-Ray.

Super like it. Much softer top than the Control +. Faster, but I'm not like unable to control my mouse or anything. Even with the Jade skates.

Good poo poo. Worth the bucks and wait.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 14, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got the Asus Gladius III. It's a nice form factor, comes apart easily and comes with clicky and light clicky swappable button switches. I put the quieter ones in and they sound good. The wheel is complete and total garbage, though. It has a single post it's connected to, and the other side of the wheel is just resting on a button all loose. It makes rattle noises with no way to fix it. It's way too light and cheap feeling. This is ultimately a $15 mouse being sold for $80. I've got a Razer Basilisk on the way to see how that compares.

I have a feeling I'll be just ordering another G305. The race for "light" being somehow better just means they have an excuse to use cheap materials, I think.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Philthy posted:

Got the Asus Gladius III. It's a nice form factor, comes apart easily and comes with clicky and light clicky swappable button switches. I put the quieter ones in and they sound good. The wheel is complete and total garbage, though. It has a single post it's connected to, and the other side of the wheel is just resting on a button all loose. It makes rattle noises with no way to fix it. It's way too light and cheap feeling. This is ultimately a $15 mouse being sold for $80. I've got a Razer Basilisk on the way to see how that compares.

I have a feeling I'll be just ordering another G305. The race for "light" being somehow better just means they have an excuse to use cheap materials, I think.

Well, yes and no. There's some really expensive magnesium and carbon fiber mice. They don't have a ton of customizability unless you're rolling your own kind of thing, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philthy posted:

Well that's disappointing :(

I wonder if the v3 Basilisk will have a nice scroll wheel. I think it's using a magnetic system to adjust the tension.
They redid it after the v2 one was poorly received because it could sometimes have problems registering scrolls or double scrolling. Almost certainly because of their manually adjustable tension system.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 15, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I went with the Basilisk Ultimate because the of the manual tension adjustment. The v3 is just on or off for the tension. Reviewers seemed to like the manual better. Plus the Ultimate is almost half the cost, so why not. It's also heavier, which I also prefer. Guess I'll find out this week hopefully.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Philthy posted:

I went with the Basilisk Ultimate because the of the manual tension adjustment. The v3 is just on or off for the tension. Reviewers seemed to like the manual better. Plus the Ultimate is almost half the cost, so why not. It's also heavier, which I also prefer. Guess I'll find out this week hopefully.

I got the Razer Basilisk v3 and I've barely used it so far but it seems fine.

I am trying to figure out if it charges while the bluetooth is off. I suspect not. It's at 85% now, I'll just test it overnight.

This is my first Razer mouse and the customer service seems to be trash. There's no direct e-mail address that I can find and when I try and do something more direct I get requested to sign up for an account but my e-mail is already used?

What a world.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Doesn't the mouse go to sleep on it's own? Not sure why anything would need to be on to charge.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Philthy posted:

That was my biggest issue with the Asus Gladius III Aimpoint. The mouse encoder failed within a month of use and there was no easy replacement for it since it was a Asus-specific encoder design. I also want to know who is deciding mouse shape at Asus because the ribbed sides was one of the worst design choices they could have made. I could never get used to it no matter how much I tried to use it. Asus also need to make it clear on their marketing or somewhere in the documentation that Kalith and Omron switches are the only brands that the socket supports because the TTC and Huano switches I tried to use made the mouse randomly turn off and on over and over again.

Armoury Crate turned me off from ever owning a piece of Asus hardware in the future. The amount of times that the software froze up from doing updates and the amount of useless stuff each download brought was bonkers. So much so that it caused the mouse to desync several times whenever the software randomly froze. It made me appreciate Steelseries GG when I installed it for my Prime Wireless I swapped the Asus mouse for.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Termyie posted:

That was my biggest issue with the Asus Gladius III Aimpoint. The mouse encoder failed within a month of use and there was no easy replacement for it since it was a Asus-specific encoder design. I also want to know who is deciding mouse shape at Asus because the ribbed sides was one of the worst design choices they could have made. I could never get used to it no matter how much I tried to use it. Asus also need to make it clear on their marketing or somewhere in the documentation that Kalith and Omron switches are the only brands that the socket supports because the TTC and Huano switches I tried to use made the mouse randomly turn off and on over and over again.

Armoury Crate turned me off from ever owning a piece of Asus hardware in the future. The amount of times that the software froze up from doing updates and the amount of useless stuff each download brought was bonkers. So much so that it caused the mouse to desync several times whenever the software randomly froze. It made me appreciate Steelseries GG when I installed it for my Prime Wireless I swapped the Asus mouse for.

This is like 100% opposite to my experience with the asus strix impact 2. I don't know if the wheel encoder is proprietary, but the hotswap sockets run huano switches just fine. The ribbed sides feel good to me. I didn't install armory crate, the RGB on the mouse is customizable with openrgb.

I can unscrew the mouse without tearing off the feet, and the screws holding the whole thing together go into brass bushings rather than strippable plastic threads. It's the most repairable mouse I've ever owned.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

mewse posted:

This is like 100% opposite to my experience with the asus strix impact 2. I don't know if the wheel encoder is proprietary, but the hotswap sockets run huano switches just fine. The ribbed sides feel good to me. I didn't install armory crate, the RGB on the mouse is customizable with openrgb.

I can unscrew the mouse without tearing off the feet, and the screws holding the whole thing together go into brass bushings rather than strippable plastic threads. It's the most repairable mouse I've ever owned.

The Strix Impact 2 has the first verison of the push socket which supports all mechanical switches. The new mice has the second version of the push socket which supports Omron Optical switches. I feel like they had to make it work with Omron and Kalith since the ROG switches are made by Kalith and Omron switches come into the box. It looks like the Huano switches and TTC Switches have thicker polls and can cause issues like breaking the second gen sockets. I really love the idea, I just didn't like the limitations that were imposed on the design.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The ribs were something I like the feel of. I also tried the grip tape that came with it, and that actually feels really nice as well. I would imagine as finger sweat/gunk/whatever would end up making the tape slick or worn out over time though. I've been using it for almost a week now and I do really like it overall, but the wheel is so annoying, I glare at it being lovely. The original? versions that were disassembled on YouTube from a few years back show the wheel being held down on both sides of the center post. The version I have it's only one side and there is nowhere for a second strap down anymore - it just free-rests on the middle mouse switch. They simply removed it all from the latest version that I can tell, which makes the wheel a little loose and rattly. The light weight issue is easily solved by putting poster putty into the shell until it feels right. PP also works well for silencing loud space bars as well.

Oh well. Basilisk is out for delivery today.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 18, 2024

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drat, and the Gladius 2 doesn't seem to be available anymore either. It was still around a couple months back, too. I liked the original Gladius a lot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Basilisk Ultimate arrived yesterday. It's a very solid feeling mouse, doesn't feel cheap at all. The wheel is phenomenal. The adjustment controls are okay, but once you set it to freewheel, there is no going back. Why any mice wheels come with bumps is beyond me, freewheel is amazing. Unfortunately, the mouse isn't comfortable for me. I went back to the Gladius III and it just feels so much nicer, the button clicks are way better, it's really really comfortable. I was doing maps in Path of Exile with both mice. I'd do one map with the Basilisk, then one map with the Gladius, over and over. Yeah, the Gladius is way way comfier and the buttons are just better. But it has the worlds shittiest wheel and it feels cheap as hell.

I went back to my G305 and it's not nearly as comfy as the Gladius, either.

If they could get the Basilisk wheel into the Gladius I'd be in heaven. Maybe eventually someone will make swappable wheels for mice.

At the end of the day it's about comfort, and I can do what I originally set out to do as well: Be able to open it up and clean the wheel easier if it ever gets gunked up.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 19, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm looking for a tablet holder for the treadmill as I don't think my tablet with its current protective case will rest in the little nook on the treadmill at my gym. Is there a tablet holding that can clamp onto a treadmill that can also hold the tablet+case?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Usually clamping to a treadmill will be too shaky for something like that. I use a music stand for mine.

Edit: Sorry, missed the part it's at your gym. Probably don't want to look like a goon walking in with a music stand. Sorry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There’s a bunch of knockoffs of the Manfrotto magic arm, I’m sure tablet mounting is one of the things they have been equipped with.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm looking for a tablet holder for the treadmill as I don't think my tablet with its current protective case will rest in the little nook on the treadmill at my gym. Is there a tablet holding that can clamp onto a treadmill that can also hold the tablet+case?

There are a dozen of these types of things on amazon.
https://amzn.to/48I2DxC

I'd just get one of those that don't have some huge long arm.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I went and grabbed one with the adjustable gooseneck, its for watching tv shows on while on the treadmill not for using/games. :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So, after trying the Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga V2 Pro, and ROG Gladius III for a few weeks side by side I've decided on the Razer Naga V2 Pro.

Razer Basilisk Ultimate - This had really loud and clicky mouse button switches. Overall feel was very solid. The mouse wheel was close to perfect. The adjustment to no-notched spin was really nice. However, my ring finger and pinky had nowhere to go. It sat so low that they just dragged on the mouse mat, and they wouldn't grip the right side properly on their own. After a while it was just uncomfortable. Weight is on the heavier side.

ROG Gladius III - Replaceable mouse switches, and opens up really easy to get inside. Comes with a loud and silent pair of mouse switches (They may even have shorter click resistance? I couldn't tell). I installed the more silent pair and they felt good clicking. Way better than the Basilisk. This mouse stands higher, so my ring and pinky gripped fine on the right side. Overall, it felt REALLY good. The mouse was my first "light" mouse. It is so nice to use at that weight. i can see why gamers went that direction, it just feels nice, and it glides so much easier. However, the wheel is total poo poo. It rattled. It didn't feel solid. It had no option for notch less scrolling. I thought this would be the perfect mouse if they offered a version with that option.

Razer Naga V2 Pro - I was afraid to try this because it's so expensive. Since Amazon is so easy to return, why not? First off, this is a very heavy mouse. It feels very solid in the hand. It sits higher like the Gladius III did as well. It almost feels like this mouse was molded from my own hand. It has a ring finger rest, and the pinky rests on the right side on its own without thinking. Of the three it fits the best; however, the weight is noticeable. After playing PoE and other games with all three, this mouse never made my hand uncomfortable after any amount of time, regardless of the weight. It has swappable left side panels for three configurations: 2 buttons, 6 buttons, and 12 buttons. They are all using strong magnets and don't feel cheap at all. All the mouse buttons, including the side buttons felt the best out of all three mice. They simply have a premium feel when you click them. The wheel on this mouse is probably as close as you can get to perfection for me. It uses some sort of magnetic way of letting you set how many notches you want the wheel to have, and how hard it is to turn the wheel in the software. It can even tell when you're using a web browser and set the wheel to free, and then back to notched when you're in a game. The software lets you set no notches, or up to 96 notches per revolution. Setting it on the highest tension it takes quite a bit of effort to spin the wheel, while setting it on the lowest it spins feely but not endless like the Logitech. I've just been using the two button side plate, and I'm incredibly happy with the mouse, despite the weight. I don't get too into FPS games as hardcore as others might, so I'm not so sure it'll make any difference.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have a razer Basilisk pro v3.

It’s wireless 2.4 and wireless Bluetooth. I have two laptops, 1 personal and 1 work. The mouse is Bluetooth synched to both.

Is there a feature on the mouse that lets me switch between the two laptops?

Right now the mouse just connects to whichever laptop was on first.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'd just shove the 2.4GHz dongle into one laptop and connect to the other with Bluetooth

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

redstormpopcorn posted:

I'd just shove the 2.4GHz dongle into one laptop and connect to the other with Bluetooth

This right here is the answer.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
can anyone recommend some feet for a gpro x superlight on a skypad 3.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

err posted:

can anyone recommend some feet for a gpro x superlight on a skypad 3.0?

Blind recommends are going to be corepads, xrays jades/obsidians without knowing anything else about your mousing style.

I'm pretty happy with my jades on my stormbreaker. Not sure if I feel like they are heaps faster than the stock but they feel solid either way.