Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm thinking a new mouse for Christmas would be nice, so I need a little input on what to get.

Currently a loyal MX Revolution user, but with it at $100 now I'm looking at other options. The MX1100 looks really good to me - in fact, it looks nearly identical. It has the same sort of contour which I like, and the frictionless mode on the scroll wheel. As far as I can tell, the differences seem to be:

MX Revolution:
+ Dock charger
~ That thumb wheel I never use but is kinda neat I guess
- $50 more expensive

MX1100:
+ Price
~ Adjustable DPI though I'd probably use that as much as I used the thumb wheel (never)
- AA batteries

Is that about right? Also, I'm looking to build a new system sometime in the near future, and planning on going Win7 64-bit. Are there any issues with using SetPoint and/or UberOptions on that setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I just bought a used MX revo on Amazon for $33 +$5 shipping, and it's mint. Even the box is mint. I love it.

YMMV -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HCT12O/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259391148&sr=8-1-fkmr0

-Risk
Jul 16, 2008

AGlassOfMilk posted:

This is the only mouse you'll ever need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249020

I have this and after a year of use the material that was so awesome to begin with is worn down, the side button that per default is "Back" in web browsing is broken and skips five instead of one page back. The logo is disappearing which i normally don't care about on standard plastic mice, but in this case it's just testiment that the rough finish doesn't last forever.

It's still as fast as ever though and the scroll wheel is the best i've used, but for the above reasons - i don't recommend it unless you get it for free or at a huge discount.

Edit: as for the logitech 518 mice that are so popular, i can't stand how unergonomic they are. They end in sort of a "stump" forcing me to angle my hand upwards. It's a carpal tunnel mouse per design and it's what builds the lump on ones wrist, similar to the lump on a middle finger from pen/pencil usage.

-Risk fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 4, 2009

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

Razer Mamba

Best mouse I've used so far.

Pros:
- L/R buttons are curved so your finger naturally rests in the middle. Pretty comfortable.
- Re-chargeable (with a pretty charging stand :3:)
- No latency when using wireless.
- Solid side button placement.
- Textured surface doesn't get all slick or sticky if your palms sweat.
- Works perfectly on any surface.
- Being able to switch from Wireless to Wired is a godsend (I hated running out of charge mid-game and having to scramble to find a different mouse/batteries).
- Overall solid construction, it just feels sturdy and very well made. No creaking buttons, thin plastic peices, etc.
- Razer has probably the best product presentation of any company I've seen. Just opening the box that the mouse comes in is an experience. (This should in no way influence your decision, but I was pretty impressed with the 'unboxing experience')

Cons:
- Most expensive mouse I've ever purchased. ($~105)
- The sensor range is pretty short (This is more of a transition-based problem, re-learning how far you can pick the mouse up before it loses tracking).
- MY GIRLFRIEND had an issue in Windows 7 where the mouse wouldn't respond after coming out of hibernation. But this appears fixed after installing the current drivers/firmware.
- Installing new firmware was a pain due to Windows7 not liking the driver that is used to install the firmware.

The Deathadder is the Wired-only version of this mouse... so if you really don't care to use Wireless (you should, it works amazing... and I was one of the "Don't use wireless mice for gaming you retard" people before this mouse) you can buy the Deathadder for ~$45.

fake edit: ignore the fact that my front right and surround right speaker are right next to each other... I don't have stands for them so they don't work for my new desk (:(), but I use headphones now anyway.

Wreckus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 4, 2009

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Joe Don Baker posted:

For you guys using the Logitech G9, what weight configuration do you use? I have a 4g and 7g in it. I have no idea if it really matters. However, today I changed it up and put all four 7g weights in it. I did notice I didn't play MW2 as well. It's probably all in my head, but who knows.

I've been using all 7g weights. I can't use the higher dpi very well with out the extra weight, for whatever reason.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i would love to try some of the cool mice in this thread, but i can't get over NOT having the free-scroll that the new logitech mice have. i wish every mouse had this option.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Wreckus posted:

Razer Mamba

Best mouse I've used so far.

I had a chance to try one of these and it has the best mouse wheel of any mouse since the original boomslang. It's large, well textured and has almost perfect resistance. Plus no goddamned tilt feature.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I've been using a Revolution MX for the last few months, thinking of switching to an mx518. I was using a (much loved) mx500 up until that point. The Rev MX just doesn't have as good of a hand feel and something seems to rattle slightly when I make fast side to side movements.

I may try modifying it though, if I fill part of the thumb grove (which is way too deep for me, resulting in a bad grip with the pinkie) it might get better.

bonj
Jul 15, 2001

Wreckus posted:

Razer Mamba

Are those two little partitions on the top left of the L button two extra buttons? If so, this looks like the perfect mouse to replace my MX1000

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
Yes they are.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.

Wreckus posted:

Razer Mamba

How's the Mamba for lefties? I currently have a Diamondback 3G and while I like it, sometimes I feel a slight ache in my fingers from using it, and the scroll wheel occasionally feels a little..slimy. As people have said, the mouse wheel on the Mamba looks really nice, but it's no good for me if the thing is all "ergonomic", and made for right handers :(

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
MX518 User here as well, one at home, one at work. Fantastic mice!

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

fraggsta posted:

How's the Mamba for lefties? I currently have a Diamondback 3G and while I like it, sometimes I feel a slight ache in my fingers from using it, and the scroll wheel occasionally feels a little..slimy. As people have said, the mouse wheel on the Mamba looks really nice, but it's no good for me if the thing is all "ergonomic", and made for right handers :(

Mamba would suck for lefties as all 4 extra buttons will be on the wrong side.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
That mamba looks so snazzy.

So I left my new Revo at work, and I'm at home using my blue G5.. and I totally miss the revo. This thing just feels goofy compared to it now. It feels very bulbous.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Iblys posted:

I've been contemplating getting a wireless trackball of some sort (I think it'd be great for a media PC) but haven't found any. :( I've seen some wireless keyboards that have a trackball inbuilt though, that might be the next best thing.

Logitech seem to have added this.

Which seems like the business, now to find someone who will ship it to NZ.

Hopefully will be better than my microsoft trackman explorer.

shaintan
Jul 4, 2009
While i must say i am a bit of a razer fan boy (i've owned 3 copperheads, 2 lachesis, tarantula, lycosa, various mats, headphones, etc) i really do like razer products. When i started getting in pc gaming seriously, and not just "oh i'm having fun, this 400dpi microsoft expolorer will work just fine for me, mr casual", i went through a lot of mice trying to find one i liked. microsoft, logitech (wireless, g5 wired, mx518). I couldn't find one that really felt right. The copperhead was my first razer, and it took some getting used to. very light compared too the logitechs, odd finger placement and feel. but i upped my game tremendously with that mouse. being able to shoot a single shot gun in bf2 like it was on full auto was amazing.

No i won't be getting a naga. probably. resisting... urge...

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

shaintan posted:

"oh i'm having fun, this 400dpi microsoft expolorer will work just fine for me, mr casual"
Out of all the mice you listed this "casual" one is by far the best :colbert:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
for gaming, never go for laser mice, get infrared mice. reason being, fast movements gently caress up the tracking for laser.

the deathadder is the best mouse i've ever used.

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit
I bought a Logitech G5 in 2006. It's still working, more than three years later. The little drawer with weights in it is a nice touch. I rarely use the speed control, but it's good to have for those rare occasions. I used to get Microsoft mice, but they almost never lasted for even one year. Usually even less! Whenever this one kicks the bucket, I'll get another G-series. They cost more than other mice, but they're well made and it's better to spend $80 on a mouse that lasts 3+ years than to have to keep going back and replacing a $20 mouse every six months.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Habu from Microsoft is a decent mouse. Mish-mash between an Intellimouse Explorer and a Razer.

I have one of these (bought it to replace my beloved Explorer 3.0), and while it's very comfortable it's performance is inconsistent. I'd rather have the Explorer 3.0 - Best mouse ever!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Wibbleman posted:

That looks awesome. I don't think I could use a trackball as my primary mouse, but I used one at a summer job one year and it was alright. If it goes on sale at some point I may give it a try.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

dvgrhl posted:

Have you looked at the VX Nano? It's like a mini MX Revolution, but the USB receiver is the smallest thing I have seen:

It's not Bluetooth, but I use it on my MacBook and love it.

I got this for my netbook. It's so awesome that I stopped using my MX1000 on my desktop and just use this everywhere. I think I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow :3:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

jonus posted:

I have an evoluent mouse, along with a kinesis freestyle keyboard. 300 total, but worth it to not be crippled by carpal tunnel.
http://www.evoluent.com/
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle.htm

Word, these things are awesome. A coworker managed to pinch one from another department and I pinched it off him. It was love at first click :3:

Now my hands reel in horror when I have to use somebody else's mouse.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Wibbleman posted:

This was the best loving thing I've ever used on a computer. The only real problems are that the batteries run out faster than other devices, below 1/4 battery life left meant re-syncing every twenty minutes (batteries would work fine in other things) and that mine eventually broke, after using it solidly for years.

Why the hell doesn't anyone make trackballs like this anymore? If Logitech would just make a wired version of this trackball, or if Microsoft would just re-release the Trackball Explorer, I could die happy. I miss that thing.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

xlevus posted:

Word, these things are awesome. A coworker managed to pinch one from another department and I pinched it off him. It was love at first click :3:

Now my hands reel in horror when I have to use somebody else's mouse.

I have one at work, and every time I come home my MX1000 feels like a cold misshapen hand.

UfoRia
Dec 11, 2009

Don't buy the Razer Lachesis since it's too low of a profile. I would buy one of the mid-range Logitechs over my Razer, but I am stuck with mine since my wife was bitching about me buying a high-end mouse. If I replace it she will win and we can't let that happen....

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Duct Tape posted:

I got this for my netbook. It's so awesome that I stopped using my MX1000 on my desktop and just use this everywhere. I think I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow :3:

I bought one from Circuit City when they were closing everything out this spring and I love mine.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
a vendor we're working with bought one of those logitech nano's for me and my boss. can't wait to replace the lovely dell 2 button mouse at work. having back buttons and the free scroll wheel at work is going to be incredible.

blaitarch
Nov 19, 2002
Many of the logitechs are coming with the tiny receivers now. I have the aforementioned VX Nano which I like but I want to something a little larger for my notebook.

I have two MX Revo, one for work one for home and I absolutely love them.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Does anyone know of a peripheral manufacturer whose drivers aren't awful? I just spent way too much time messing with SetPoint's XML files trying to bind a button to win-shift-left/right (only to determine after e-mailing the guy who wrote uberOptions that it's impossible because of the way SetPoint handles the shift modifier). I'd like something that's a little more lightweight than SetPoint and doesn't require a third party product to unlock all of its functionality.

Logitech mice seem pretty good but their software is subpar.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

UfoRia posted:

Don't buy the Razer Lachesis since it's too low of a profile. I would buy one of the mid-range Logitechs over my Razer, but I am stuck with mine since my wife was bitching about me buying a high-end mouse. If I replace it she will win and we can't let that happen....

I have a Razer Lachesis and I really like it. Been using it for over a year now and I like the low profile since I use my thumb and pinky finger on the sides to add resistance for better accuracy. Sounds weird but it works for me.

My wife actually bought me this mouse so if I bought another one she'd be bitching. Opposite of yours but the same result. :D

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The G500 is the best mouse I've ever used, it's more or less a Frankenstein of most of the other Logitech Gaming mice:

Slightly altered mx518/g5 shape
Texture of g5 v1
5600dpi :clint:
Gear wheel with switch on top instead of bottom
3 thumb buttons
Tracks perfectly on cloth mouse pads unlike every laser mouse I've ever used.
Weight system if you care.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
For those that though that Microsoft didn't make this anymore. They do. I just recently got one, I love it :dance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105122&cm_re=Microsoft_Optical_Intellimouse-_-26-105-122-_-Product

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
The answer is YES, unless you can find that same mouse for cheaper.

I've got the mx 518, the g7, and now the mx. They were all around 100 bux and they're all from logitech.

One of my friends just questioned my motive for buying a hundred dollar mouse recently (the last one mentioned/shown). I told him that out of all of the computer junk that I use, the mouse and keyboard are used the most. I told him that I thought it was worth the hundred dollar investment if I actually use the thing as much as I claim ... and I think I do.

Here's why I liked each mouse:

MX 518 - this was great because of the extra buttons. I used those a lot in games.
G7 - this came with two batteries. use one, and charge the other: no downtime
MX (performance mouse) - hyper scrolling is awesome for google reader, the forums, and other long webpages. that's pretty much the only reason I have this mouse. It can also track on glass ... novelty feature I suppose.

They're all logitechs because those seem to last the longest for me. I've never broken a logitech mouse. All of my logitechs are still in good working order.

This is the mouse I want:

I do have a question for the wireless mouse guys though. Have any of you switched to bluetooth? I've avoided bluetooth like the plague ever since it came out. Is it of any benefit to go with a wireless bluetooth mouse?

And a question for the hyper scrolling guys. Have any of you got your hyper scrolling to work without any lag? That is, when you move the scroll button (regardless of how small) your scroll bar on the screen moves as well as opposed to having to move the scroll button a certain distance before the scroll bar on the screen decides to react.

Instant Stalker fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 16, 2009

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
what is that thing? i must know!

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
Elecom M-SN1UL Scope Node Laser Sensor Mouse

It's really a novelty item from Japan -it looks pretty cool though. They claim to have the most precise mouse or something along those lines. Their selling point is that the laser is kind of sort of in the general location that a pen tip would be if you were holding a pen ... thus more precise. Also 1600 dpi.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2653

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So I picked up a Wireless Laser 6000 from MS last night OEM for $35, brought it into work. I generally like it, but the angle and the stiffness of the mouse wheel make me use my index finger on it, which feels wrong. Anyone know if it'll become a bit softer over time, or if there's some easy mod I could make to fix it a bit?

Irondude
Feb 25, 2007

by SA Support Robot
I'm very bias toward the wireless Logitech G7. I've owned two of these mice and I can say I don't think I could get used to going back to wired. The first one I owned would die every 30 minutes and come right back and this was a real big problem. This happened to me twice. Logitech has great customer service and replacement programs but only if you have the receipt. I was able to send it in once and then they sent me a brand spanking new one After 4 years I tend to lose purchase info and it happened to me again. They sent me the G9x which didn't suit me very well because I have big hands and I'm so used to the G7 style. I'm wondering if all their wireless mice are notorious for doing this.

Are there any other Logitech wireless mice that have the G7 body style?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Mister Fister posted:

for gaming, never go for laser mice, get infrared mice. reason being, fast movements gently caress up the tracking for laser.

the deathadder is the best mouse i've ever used.

I'll admit I saw this with the G5 but the G9 tracks fast movements without screwing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I've heard good things about the G9x but if anyone ever asks me for a mouse recommendation I'll instantly tell them to get a MS WMO/IE 3.0 or MX300/MX500. Those 4 are the Kalashnikovs of mice. They're old designs, but they absolutely never fail to work properly and they work just as well as any expensive "gaming" mouse.

Good luck finding the MX300/MX500 these days, though.