Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mastigophoran posted:

Yeah, you can replace it with any NiMH battery, I usually grab energizer or duracell high capacity ones, rather than eneloops: The mouse gets down to red reasonably quickly but still works for ages. (edit - by ages, I still only mean 2-3 days maximum on energy saver settings...)

The G700 DOES kinda ruin batteries though, but it ruins mine over the course of about a year of use. 2 months is a bit quick though! To be fair, I'm not sure if it's just the recycle rate of once every 2-3 days, or if the G700 is maybe charging them a bit too quickly or something like that, but it seems to be worth replacing them every year or so. Ideally you'd probably want to get like a multimeter and check what voltage the battery has on it (possibly while under load), since I imagine it just can't hold a voltage any more for some reason, possibly it was just a duff in some way? If it happens to another battery, something might be wrong with your mouse, but, it's probably just a duff battery.

One thing I would say is that if you literally *just* got it shipped to you, like today, did it travel through somewhere quite cold and did you let it warm up back to room temperature yet? Temperature can be a big deal for batteries.

Thanks! I'll get a replacement tomorrow and give it the ol' college try.

It was sitting for quite a few hours before I powered it on, but it is possible the trip hosed it up. If the new one works I'll have my answer, and I'll update here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So I got my new RMA'ed steel series sensei mouse. Now I want one of those zowie EC mice.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on the "button lag" it supposedly experiences, since reading other reviews and forums I'm not sure if its people actually testing it or going by "feels slower and you should totally buy the logitech/razer/steelseries"

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Crazy enough there is actual hard testing done about button lag! http://utmalesoldiers.blogspot.com/2013/02/114.html

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
24 ms on the kinzu v2. No wonder they were clearing these out at woot last year, that blows!

I guess that might help explain the strange problems I have with it in certain games but not others.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Crazy enough there is actual hard testing done about button lag! http://utmalesoldiers.blogspot.com/2013/02/114.html

Well wish I could read japanese and not have to deal with the google translator...

But it seems to be Logitechs are the best with the EC2 way down the line, I was just really annoyed with people saying all this "oh its slower" but not having any tests or data to back up their assertions.

Thanks for the link!

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Some of them have negative results? How do some mice press the button before the button is pressed?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Ahdinko posted:

Some of them have negative results? How do some mice press the button before the button is pressed?

Compared to the Logitech G300 that they use as the baseline.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Skuto posted:

I have to ask this: can we get a new G9x but with an un-accelerated optical sensor? The buttons on the G500s don't look as convenient. I miss the G9x :(

ugh my G9x died. I loved that mouse but logitech stopped making them and I really don't want to spend $280 for a new one on amazon. I really liked the G9x because I could just grip it with my finger tips and it had a low profile. What have people happily replaced it with?

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Calidus posted:

ugh my G9x died. I loved that mouse but logitech stopped making them and I really don't want to spend $280 for a new one on amazon. I really liked the G9x because I could just grip it with my finger tips and it had a low profile. What have people happily replaced it with?

I got a Corsair M65 RGB not very long ago and the profile and grip of the thing feels relatively similar to how my old G9 was (rip :(). May sort of depend on personal hand size though.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I replaced my G9x with a M40 and have been happy, I would also look at their Sabre Optical if I were buying a mouse now. It looks more similar to the G9x profile but I haven't held one.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the lifetime on logitech warranties? My M500 has started doubleclicking when I single click. (Not just in windows, and I've already checked the folder options pref) I like it and would rather just get a replacement from them, but I bought it about three years ago and don't know if they'll put up with that kinda crap.

EDIT: Or, after reading the last few pages, maybe I'll just try to retension the spring.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 6, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arcturas posted:

What's the lifetime on logitech warranties? My M500 has started doubleclicking when I single click. (Not just in windows, and I've already checked the folder options pref) I like it and would rather just get a replacement from them, but I bought it about three years ago and don't know if they'll put up with that kinda crap.

EDIT: Or, after reading the last few pages, maybe I'll just try to retension the spring.

I think most are 3 years. You can call them up to see if they'll replace it but they may want proof of purchase.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Logitech Support is really nice to work with and not just because I got a replacement under the 3 year warranty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Agreed, I'm in the same boat and have had a positive experience.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's an Amazon purchase so the receipt is easy.

EDIT: Well, getting that drat leaf spring back in place was a huge pain, but otherwise it worked out.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 7, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Think I am going to jump on the g303 as soon as I can buy one on amazon. I am upgrading peripherals, and the the shape looks a little more up my alley than the g502.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9050/logitech-g303-daedalus-apex-capsule-review

Just ordered a k65 rgb too. I am going to turn my desk into a goddamn lightshow for some inexplicable reason.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Razer products cop a lot of slack but to be fair my 2 Razer naga hex's have lasted me 3 years now with nothing wrong with them and still in tip top condition.

Also have a naga 2014 laying around if I ever feel like a mmo and works great also.

For a mouse I will always stick with Razer. They have done me great value for money imo.

Though for wireless working on a laptop I use a Logitech mx. That's perfect to use for browsing though I don't think Id game with it. Still a fantastic mouse though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Filthy Monkey posted:

Think I am going to jump on the g303 as soon as I can buy one on amazon. I am upgrading peripherals, and the the shape looks a little more up my alley than the g502.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9050/logitech-g303-daedalus-apex-capsule-review

Huh neat, it's a high end version of the G302. Has profiles, a braided cord, and the G502 sensor. That sounds like it should be a big winner all around. Only a 2 year warranty though, which is odd.

Too bad I really didn't like the G302 shape that much, it's not unusable but it's certainly not comfortable. It's basically the complete opposite shape as any other mouse of that style, it's fat in the middle instead of having grooves for your thumb. Still, how many light weight mice have a sensor that good, all of those features, and is made by a company with decent RMA service?

When you get it, can you tell me about the side buttons on it? The ones on the G302 were mushy feeling, if those were improved on the G303 that would be a huge plus for it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is actually a much better review than Anandtech's. He mentions that the side buttons do feel mushy after the actuation point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5VbVX40TIA
I've always liked anandtech, but that was a surprisingly lovely review from them. Two pages, not much detail, and filled with comments like these.

quote:

We won’t cover all of the features, but ...

quote:

We could go on but ...

Really, I am just looking for a lighter fingertip mouse for fps gaming. I rarely palm my mouse.

Edit: It is on amazon now. Just preordered it there.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Daed...s=logitech+g303

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 9, 2015

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I almost loved the 302 but the shape is not good. The hump on the left side of the mouse was very uncomfortable for my thumb whether I was using my palm or my fingertips. Other than that it was as close to a perfect mouse for me. I like the buttons, scroll wheel, size, and aesthetic a lot.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone have any idea why my G400's laser suddenly stops working on my desktop while it works perfectly fine on my laptop?

I've tried different USB ports, with and without the logitech drivers, and I have an old lovely mouse that works fine when i use it on the desktop as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Does anyone have any idea why my G400's laser suddenly stops working on my desktop while it works perfectly fine on my laptop?

I've tried different USB ports, with and without the logitech drivers, and I have an old lovely mouse that works fine when i use it on the desktop as well.

The most common failure besides doubleclicks is having a break in the USB cable. It's possible that the cord is flexing differently depending on which system it's plugged into and the bend is separating the tiny wires in the cord that are broken in some positions. Is there a tiny bulge in the cable right as it comes out of the front of the mouse?

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
The cord seems fine, there are no bumps or bulges anywhere. I have also tried bending the cord all over while it is plugged into my laptop to check if it ever stops working but the laser stays on the whole time and it never gives me issues. I'm so confused haha

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Could you be more specific about what "suddenly stops working" means? It could be anything from hardware defects (either on the mouse side or the desktop side) to simply a poor mousing surface.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
There are two situations where it stops working on the desktop. The first, the laser just shuts off and won't turn on again until i plug it into a different USB slot. The second, the laser stays on but I get 2 seconds of lag where the mouse isn't responsive at all and then 2 seconds of it working fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What's up with scroll wheels getting "misaligned", so the notched steps don't match up with the actual scroll steps sent? I.e. the wheel is clearly in a notch but rocking it back and forth even just slightly causes scroll steps to be sent.
What causes this? Is there any way to fix it?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

nielsm posted:

What's up with scroll wheels getting "misaligned", so the notched steps don't match up with the actual scroll steps sent? I.e. the wheel is clearly in a notch but rocking it back and forth even just slightly causes scroll steps to be sent.
What causes this? Is there any way to fix it?

It's probably got dirt/dust/grime/oil on the toothed part that actually sends you the click click click feedback as you scroll. I'd open it up and clean the scroll mechanism with compressed air (the wheel assembly can usually be removed entirely so you can get good access to the parts where debris accumulates). Obviously this is just a guess and you open your poo poo up at the peril of not being able to put it back together. If you need to remove a mouse foot to unscrew it you'll need a replacement because those things don't stick back on.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Good recommendation for a Finger-tip mouse please, that's solid for Moba's and FPS games, not much for a ton of buttons either. Price point should be around 45-65 bucks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Texibus posted:

Good recommendation for a Finger-tip mouse please, that's solid for Moba's and FPS games, not much for a ton of buttons either. Price point should be around 45-65 bucks.

Check out the Logitech G303 maybe? It's got an odd shape but it should work fine for fingertip style. Very light weight, great sensor, braided cord, Logitech warranty and support, onboard profiles and good software. It's not out quite yet so we don't know if it behaves exactly like the G502 yet or not (which it shares the same sensor with), but given their track record it's a pretty safe bet there will be no-accel, no-smoothing, no button latency, great tracking, perfect for gaming in general.

Downsides, shape may be too weird for you? Side buttons sound like they are the same as the G302 which are a little mushy feeling, they work fine but aren't ideal.

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a G302 :suicide:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Thanks, I've read about the Sensei and Roccat Kone. Does anyone have any experience with those mice?

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
I'll throw in a recommendation for the EVGA Torq X5:

Had the optical version about a week now and didn't have a great first impression about it to be perfectly honest. I had to talk to support about an issue I had where it would randomly "die" and quit responding and fixed it by setting the "Power saving" option off in device manager, which may actually also help this goon out, possibly:

There are two situations where it stops working on the desktop. The first, the laser just shuts off and won't turn on again until i plug it into a different USB slot. The second, the laser stays on but I get 2 seconds of lag where the mouse isn't responsive at all and then 2 seconds of it working fine.

But after sorting that out and switching off Mouse Acceleration in the profile management software, I find it's a really solid piece of hardware. The scroll wheel in particular feels really nice compared to the last 3 mice I've owned. It's pretty lightweight if that's up your alley, and lends itself I would say exclusively to claw grip. Some cons other than the power saving problem I would say is that the side buttons are a little hard to access compared to previous mice I've owned and the glossy surface and feel may put some people off. I play a lot of League of Legends and a few FPSs and it holds up quite well in League and Dying Light, which I've been playing lately. Nice and thin braided cable which is a far cry from my previous G700s (I know) that even though was wireless I had to plug in at least once a day.

Anyway I'd like to see if anyone else has an opinion on this or any other EVGA mice. If I'm not mistaken this plus the X3 are the first models released by them after their debut X10 last year, and I don't see a lot of talk about them. I feel like I've taken a risk, after looking for a G9 replacement so long, in getting a lightweight ambidextrous mouse, and I'm liking the results so far. Customer support was quick 'n' easy as well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Are there any trackballs with a bunch of programmable buttons? I'm considering switching my G700s for a trackball, but I need at least buttons for forward/backward/F5/ctrl-tab/minimize.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Texibus posted:

Thanks, I've read about the Sensei and Roccat Kone. Does anyone have any experience with those mice?

Steelseries Sensei uses a laser sensor with built in acceleration. They also only have a 1 year warranty. It doesn't store profiles on board either, so you have to run the software in the background to get any features other than DPI/Polling.

No personal experience with the Roccat Kone, there's the Kone Pure Optical which looks like it has a decent sensor at least. Only Roccat product I've used was the Kova+ which had really terrible build quality all around. It sounds like Roccat probably won't honor any warranty in the US, assuming that's where you are. I couldn't find any information on their web site suggesting warranty information at all, and a number of the first results searching were people complaining that they won't honor warranties. So I'm going to say "Do Not Buy" for Roccat products period, until I hear otherwise.

EVGA X5 looks like it has pretty good potential, native 50 step CPI settings, profiles/settings stored on board, nice cable. Weight sounds nice (85g without cable apparently, amazon seems to be wrong about that?) but some people have said the weight is a bit poorly distributed towards the back? 3 year warranty too. People seem to be arguing inconclusively about any sort of smoothing or other stuff with the sensor as of now, not seeing any hard evidence or numbers.

It's only $50 too which is a huge plus! You might give this one a look too Texibus, it could be up your alley.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'll take a gander, but will likely go with the lab rat option and hit up the 303.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just picked up an Anker vertical mouse to use during the majority of my day when I'm just casually browsing the internetworking rather than gaming with my G700s and love the overall feel of the vertical mouse concept, but I find that when I go to middle-click on things (pretty common as I'm one of those guys who usually has 20+ tabs open) I end up often moving off target a bit because of the effectively sideways force I'm putting on the button.

Is this just a flaw of the Anker unit or is this going to be pretty much inherent to any vertical mouse where the middle click is on the wheel in a "normal" position?

If it's inherent to the design, are there any that move the wheel somewhere else or separate the third button in their default configuration? I prefer to not use mouse drivers where possible as I've had too many bad experiences with them adding lag and/or completely screwing up various standard mouse behaviors.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

But it works fine on your laptop you said? I'm almost tempted to say it's a software issue on your desktop, like a driver issue or something.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Texibus posted:

I got the Sensei Raw recently because it's one of the few high quality mice with extra buttons on both sides. I'm a wee bit disappointed - the side buttons are pretty mushy and they aren't differentiated enough in their texture/size, so I'm taking a while to get used to hitting the right commands. I haven't really done any gaming with it since I bought it for CAD use, but it seems to track well and feels good in hand. The software is decent and setting up macros is easy.

But yeah, my quest to find the perfect replacement for my old Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 seems to be futile.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Any recommendations for a Bluetooth mouse that doesn't click? I'd like to use it with my tablet in bed without my wife hearing click click click.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

I've been reading the last few pages of the thread, and it seems like the G602 is a favorite for those shopping for a wireless mouse. I've been doing some shopping around for a wireless mouse that would be feasible to throw in a bag and take traveling with a laptop for web browsing, work, and some light gaming use. To that end I've also considered both the Logitech M705 and their Anywhere Mouse MX, as they seem more portable-oriented. My main concern with the former is I've read it's DPI is locked to 1000 (I've been spoiled by more sensitive mice at home) and the mouse apparently experiences negative acceleration, while the latter sounds like it's an ideal portable mouse except it sounds to be plagued with reliability issues and button failures, with some reviewers reporting that it chugs batteries like they're going out of style.

Is there a recommended wireless mouse out there that doesn't deal with these shortcomings? Or is the solution a G602 and finding a pouch to throw it in to keep it safe on the go? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I really liked the G602 I got a week or two ago for Arma 3, but I'm so used to the hyperscroll option and wheel tilt on my Anywhere MX that I ended up returning it, and after some use I found that it wasn't nearly as good as the MX on my glass desk. I've been using the Anywhere MX for almost five years now for exactly what you're looking for (Travel to work, some laptop use and moderate gaming). The microswitch issue is a bit of a bummer, but I made a post earlier in the thread about fixing it on your own, which is really, really simple. The DIY work involved was my introduction to soldering, and even though I've burned the poo poo out of the board, melted the wheel holder and lifted a trace a bit, it still works like a champ.

I don't think the battery usage is all that bad, but I have a big stockpile of rechargable AAs for everything in the house. My work one needs a battery swap once a month, and my home computer maybe every month and a half-two months. Not a full year or whatever like a lot of other mice, but it's not a major hassle or anything.

I use it with a fingertip grip, and it seems to work really well with that. I also really like how the middle-click function is put on its own button instead of having to press down the wheel itself. I really wish more mice did that, since after a while when the wheel loosens up, I find myself accidentally scrolling a lot when meaning to click on traditional-style middle buttons.

I've got so many of the drat things over the years. A "gaming" version of the Anywhere MX is my dream mouse (hint hint Goo).

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2015