Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Kind of like how CRTs used to be the better gaming monitors because they had a much lower latency, and now it doesn't matter at all because there's a ton of IPS monitors with 1ms response times.

It still matters for retro stuff with analog outputs, as converting (or in this case, upscaling) 240p resolution to something modern inputs will accept will always add a few frames (16ms each), even with fancy solutions like the Framemeister and OSSC. Regarding PC games and emulators, you have lots of latency to deal with - USB polling, OS response, graphics driver response, monitor speed (which usually isn't as low as the package declares), etc. All that stuff adds up to several frames, usually. Enabling Vsync to make it smooth adds several more frames. That's why, if you play something you used to be good at as a kid on an emulator, and find it to be far harder than you remember - input delay is likely the culprit. Retroarch has made some advances on this - first Hard GPU Sync, and now some wacky run-ahead thing that, to the best of my knowledge, rapidly cycles save-states in advance of the virtual machine's actual state... or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Naturally Selected posted:

Way out of warranty, and the g703 seems to have nothing in common with the 700 function or shape-wise, which is why i'm asking about the 502. Ideally I would just get another 700, but they've been out of production for a while-which is why I'm asking for advice.

Speaking of which, does any other company do the switchable/clutched scroll wheels? I'd be open to ideas, but don't even know where to start.

Yeah I've actually opened up the switches and fixed the little copper membranes before, but at this point I just don't feel like messing with all that again.

Ah sorry, I guess I was tired when I wrote that; the G700 is indeed an unrelated mouse, and I should've known that because I have one along with the G703 (and the G502 as well.) I was thinking along the lines of the G900/G903 being almost the same thing (and the G403 is the predecessor to the G703,) and when I wrote that I had a nagging feeling that I should verify the mouse you were talking about but I didn't. :shrug:

I've never seen the free-spinning mouse wheel on anything other than Logitech. If that's what you're into (and I don't blame you, I love them too,) the G502 is probably the closest thing to your G700 in terms of a multi-thumb button, asymmetrical, hyperscroll gaming mouse.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tempted to jump from a G900 to the new Logitech G Pro wireless mouse for the weight reduction. Anyone make the similar jump? Hows the size of the Logitech G Pro? I palm grip so I prefer bigger sized mice

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Really if there was a wireless mouse with the 502 form factor and dps toggle I'd never need another mouse again.
It's the only mouse that fits my hand perfectly. I just wish it was wireless.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

everythingWasBees posted:

Really if there was a wireless mouse with the 502 form factor and dps toggle I'd never need another mouse again.
It's the only mouse that fits my hand perfectly. I just wish it was wireless.

You just described the G700 :rip: No idea why they stopped making some version of them.

One more question-has anyone used/messed around with the Swiftpoint Z (http://a.co/d/4Ah4sSB)? It sounds like a really cool idea, but I'm super leery of ~kickstarter things~

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Another one of my Logitech G400 mice died the last week so I decided to try something different. I picked up a SteelSeries 610 but I'm just not that happy? I don't know if it's because I'm used to the inherit mouse acceleration and deceleration but it's just too flat feeling?

The mouse also seems to be a little plastic-y compared to a MX518 or G400. Or is this just the new trend with mice these days?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

You just described the G700 :rip: No idea why they stopped making some version of them.

One more question-has anyone used/messed around with the Swiftpoint Z (http://a.co/d/4Ah4sSB)? It sounds like a really cool idea, but I'm super leery of ~kickstarter things~

I've been looking at that for a while now. It looks cool, if a bit gimmicky for the joystick stuff. I like the button system though.... I've been tempted to get one. Is it on sale right now or is it just always 99 usd?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Tab8715 posted:

Another one of my Logitech G400 mice died the last week so I decided to try something different. I picked up a SteelSeries 610 but I'm just not that happy? I don't know if it's because I'm used to the inherit mouse acceleration and deceleration but it's just too flat feeling?

The mouse also seems to be a little plastic-y compared to a MX518 or G400. Or is this just the new trend with mice these days?

If you're really aching for that G400 feel, the Nixeus Revel Fit was announced recently and is expected to go on sale in October.

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-REVEL...ixeus+revel+fit
https://us.maxgaming.com/gaming-mice/revel-fit-gaming-mouse

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LordAdakos posted:

I've been looking at that for a while now. It looks cool, if a bit gimmicky for the joystick stuff. I like the button system though.... I've been tempted to get one. Is it on sale right now or is it just always 99 usd?

Supposedly it's a sale on right now. And same, I'm mostly interested in the pressure-sensitive button assignments, but the amount of.. stuff... crammed into it makes me concerned about how long any of it will actually function.

Ordered a 502 for now, gonna keep an eye on the Z just in case.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Can anybody chime in on the durability of the Rival 310? I bought a Rival 300 and the worn down rubber sides after a year are a huge bummer. I heard the 310 had better grips for durability?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

kimcicle posted:

Can anybody chime in on the durability of the Rival 310? I bought a Rival 300 and the worn down rubber sides after a year are a huge bummer. I heard the 310 had better grips for durability?

I use the Sensei (which sort of is the same mouse but ambidextrous) very intensively for almost a year now and it still feels like like new. No traces of worn down parts at all.

It should tho, I need a good reason to try a logitech G Pro or G903

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 26, 2018

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

kimcicle posted:

I also used the 310 a lot for about a year and it steel feels like new. I have since then changed it for a G903 which I got for almost half the retail price, but the change was mainly because I was sick of cords/wires.

After about half a year being super pleased with the G903 I am now considering a logitech G Pro... I have a problem.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got the G502 and jesus christ is it tiny compared to the 700. Guess I got too used to having a big ol' behemoth of a mouse, even though I wouldn't say I have huge hands or anything.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have a Logitech G502, bought it in 2015, it's giving up on me. Every now and then, the input gets choppy. At first I thought there was dirt on my mousepad, but there isn't.

Any recommendations on a new mouse? Something tried and tested that you guys like.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Does anyone know if it's possible to get an official replacement top body/buttons for an MX Master mouse? When I self-fixed the permanently active gestures issue / the cursor being locked down issue a while ago I cracked the thumbrest's plastic on top of the gesture button, and it finally gave out, so now I have a giant hole above that button.

I'll probably get a 2S as a replacement/upgrade, but I'm thinking if it's possible to fix up this one enough so it could be used by someone or as a reserve mouse in the household. I can only find replacement feet and USB cable on the spare parts store itself. Is my only shot looking for an otherwise broken MX Master with an intact body, or is there a more official way to find a replacement top body?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tecman posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an official replacement top body/buttons for an MX Master mouse? When I self-fixed the permanently active gestures issue / the cursor being locked down issue a while ago I cracked the thumbrest's plastic on top of the gesture button, and it finally gave out, so now I have a giant hole above that button.

I'll probably get a 2S as a replacement/upgrade, but I'm thinking if it's possible to fix up this one enough so it could be used by someone or as a reserve mouse in the household. I can only find replacement feet and USB cable on the spare parts store itself. Is my only shot looking for an otherwise broken MX Master with an intact body, or is there a more official way to find a replacement top body?

I'd get in touch with logitech support and see if they can help you. I've found calling them to be the best way to get help.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Finally got my G603 after a huge shitshow from ebay and amazon. It's a lot better than the crappy chinese $10 special I'd been using. I like it a lot.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Klaaz posted:

I use the Sensei (which sort of is the same mouse but ambidextrous) very intensively for almost a year now and it still feels like like new. No traces of worn down parts at all.

It should tho, I need a good reason to try a logitech G Pro or G903

Miguel Prado posted:

I also used the 310 a lot for about a year and it steel feels like new. I have since then changed it for a G903 which I got for almost half the retail price, but the change was mainly because I was sick of cords/wires.

After about half a year being super pleased with the G903 I am now considering a logitech G Pro... I have a problem.

I've been eyeing the G703 for a bit to try to clean up the desk a little bit. From the heaps of praise I've seen online for Logitech's new wireless tech I assume it's going to be close to impossible for me to tell the difference between wired / wireless. Tried to go to Fry's / Microcenter to see how it fit in my palm but it seems like they don't do the row of display mice that you can get your grubby hands on to see if they fit well or not...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My brain is still stuck in the days where wireless things were choppy and unreliable. So I've not picked up a wireless mouse / keyboard because I just have this view that they'll conk out right when I need them in a game. Friends who have wireless stuff say they're amazing though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Your friends are right. Welcome to the future. Just use the 2m4GHz dongle. Bluetooth is still lousy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I still remember back when wifi was notoriously garbage for gaming, with constant lagspikes. I remember forking out hundreds of pounds on a powerline adapter brick, which was insanely huge, just to get an ethernet connection. These days, powerline adapters cost next to nothing and are tiny, and friends use WiFi cards and never complain of lagspikes. I'm just an old man barely keeping up with the times.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ynglaur posted:

Your friends are right. Welcome to the future. Just use the 2m4GHz dongle. Bluetooth is still lousy.

Yeah Bluetooth is still laggy garbage. The RF dongle stuff is nice and responsive though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Qubee posted:

I still remember back when wifi was notoriously garbage for gaming, with constant lagspikes. I remember forking out hundreds of pounds on a powerline adapter brick, which was insanely huge, just to get an ethernet connection. These days, powerline adapters cost next to nothing and are tiny, and friends use WiFi cards and never complain of lagspikes. I'm just an old man barely keeping up with the times.

I'm basically the same except I just started gaming on wifi, and it's perfectly adequate. No better or worse than ethernet a few days ago. Granted, I have a directional setup with beamforming on both ends, but the adapter was like $75, which really isn't a lot for 5ms or so router ping and 200mbps down.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

I can't overstate how good Logitech's (at least) wireless mice are. If you're willing to shell out for a Powerplay setup (mat plus one of the 3 compatible mice) then you can have a totally wireless (even for charging) setup that's as good as wired.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'll be all over Logitech's new wireless mice, but none of them still fit the niche of the G602.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just bought a Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, fingers crossed it replaces my G502 really nicely. I've been really happy with the G502, but I had to take a rotary sander to the thumbprint grooves, cause it was just nasty with the stuff it was picking up from my hands.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Qubee posted:

Just bought a Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, fingers crossed it replaces my G502 really nicely. I've been really happy with the G502, but I had to take a rotary sander to the thumbprint grooves, cause it was just nasty with the stuff it was picking up from my hands.

Wash your hands

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wash your hands

I have an OCD when it comes to hand hygiene, it's not that.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
All this wireless talk inspired me to pick up a G Pro (switched from a G502 - which itself was a RMA replacement of another G502 I wore out). Found an open-box at MicroCenter for $119.

So far it is really great - not having the wire is seriously a game-changer and the performance is great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Qubee posted:

Alright so wash your mouse more often than never I guess? You just said it gets dirty from your hand gunk so honestly I was just taking you at your word.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah it's understandable.

It was these grooves right here, the rest of the mouse stayed spotless, but I guess they acted abrasively and managed to pick up super gross dead skin or something. I'd clean it but 1) it was a chore and 2) cleaning my mouse every other week was a hassle. Once I sanded it down with a rotary sander, the issue went away. It's bad design, I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea. Now I can just wipe my mouse down with a bleach wipe and it's clean in no time, whereas before I'd have to spend ages getting into all the grooves.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What's a good lightweight app to lock the mouse inside the window when playing borderless fullscreen windowed mode? Some games don't seem to offer it as a native feature.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Dual monitor tools. You can set up a bind so with the press of a button your cursor stays inside the monitor and with a second press is set free.

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Audax posted:

Dual monitor tools. You can set up a bind so with the press of a button your cursor stays inside the monitor and with a second press is set free.

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net

I should clarify - I'm only using a single monitor. However, I've noticed in a couple games that my mouse clicks stop registering because the mouse is presumably riding the edge of the screen (after tracking something by looking right, I have to move the mouse left to be able to click). The behavior is probably in part because I'm playing with upscaled 1080p on a 4k monitor, I'd never seen the issue previously when playing at native resolution.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

It is that. You are washing your hands to the point they are dry and the skin flakes off on the mouse.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

isndl posted:

What's a good lightweight app to lock the mouse inside the window when playing borderless fullscreen windowed mode? Some games don't seem to offer it as a native feature.

http://www.snakebytestudios.com/projects/apps/cursor-lock/

The way it is designed is a bit weird at first, but it does the job very well.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Qubee posted:

use moisturizer

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Pre-ordered the Revel Fit, I'll post a comparison to the G400 and any other mice I have if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The SA Forums > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Should I buy a $100 mouse? (please use moisturizer)