Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Otacon posted:

Nevermind, just received a shipping notice for a G703. Fuckers.

Anyone want to buy a G703?

I wish I saw this sooner. I just picked up a G703 to replace my G900. Any reason I should be weary of the G703?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mitsune posted:

I wish I saw this sooner. I just picked up a G703 to replace my G900. Any reason I should be weary of the G703?

No, it's a solid "traditional" right-handed gaming mouse. Nothing really special about it, I use it as my main gaming mouse. I highly recommend the Powerplay mat!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

G703 looks to be a great mouse, but I needed a thumb rest and I needed more than 2 thumb buttons. Ended up buying a G602 for $40. Probably going to bring the G703 in for work-use if I can't sell it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The G602 came, and made me comfortable enough to try repairing my G700s's double-clicking left mouse button. If I hosed it up, at least I would have a fallback.

The repair seriously took about 45 minutes - that drat spring is fuckin' tiny and extremely difficult to get positioned correctly. Everything's finally back together and believe it or not, I think I fixed the drat thing.

My G700s lives again... this must be what it feels like when doves cry.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Kairos posted:

I just contacted Logitech support about my G900 with a double-clicking issue, and they approved an RMA, but now that it's shipped the confirmation email says that the package contains "1 | G900 Mice Feet". :sigh:

First package was indeed just mouse feet, and I contacted them again and this time they're offering a G903 replacement, but without advanced replacement so I'm going to have to find some piece of junk to use for two weeks or however long I'm going to end up without a wireless mouse between the time it takes for them to receive my defective mouse and the "5-7 business days" it takes to ship the replacement. And it's also been two weeks since the first contact at this point.

Could certainly be worse but I'm calling this a very mediocre CS experience. Oh well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my logitech G5 is about to give up the ghost after 11 years lol, the scrollwheel is sporadically not reading

what is a thing that is similar these days I can use instead? I don't need 17 fancy gaming macro buttons but the lil two it has under my thumb are useful

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
g pro, g305

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Is there any word on when the new MX518 will make it to the states? I had to do a swap on the relay for my old MX518 recently. Would like to have something new.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got the shipping notice for my finalmouse air58 today. I cant wait to see how just ok it is before I flip it for quadruple to some hypebeast.

The Odin model O is what im most excited about. Looks to be an improved finalmouse ultralight at a more reasonable price point for what is essentially plastic and the same sensor everyone uses.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 24, 2019

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Don Lapre posted:

g pro, g305

Very similar to g pro is the nixeus revel and dm s1 pro/dm FPS.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

my logitech G5 is about to give up the ghost after 11 years lol, the scrollwheel is sporadically not reading

what is a thing that is similar these days I can use instead? I don't need 17 fancy gaming macro buttons but the lil two it has under my thumb are useful

Have you tried cracking that bad boy open and seeing if you can fix it? I think my first gen Anywhere MX is at ten years and counting with some basic maintenance every couple of years.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I can't believe how long a fully charged wireless g pro lasts, it's really sweet.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I got the shipping notice for my finalmouse air58 today. I cant wait to see how just ok it is before I flip it for quadruple to some hypebeast.

It's so ugly. The only people I know who want it are weeaboos because of the kanji on the loving mouse wheel. I'll stick to my g403.

What's are people's opinion on mouse bungees? I got the Zowie one and it feels like I am using a wireless mouse with no cable drag whatsoever. I can finally go to a lower DPI without having to worry about not having enough cable.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 24, 2019

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I've got a cheap Razer bungee. Works fine if not a little too light. I might buy that Zowie one sooner or later.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mouse bungee are totally worth it, even the $6 one on amazon is great. I had to use some rubber bands to hold the cord securely but it works. If you have a lightweight paracord cord you dont need em.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

So I'm tired of trying to install Logitech Gaming Software or SetPoint on my system. The install fires and automatically quits after a few seconds without ever displaying anything, regardless of being run as admin or not, in safe mode or not, after a clean boot or not, with the mouse plugged in or not, copying the installation files from another computer or not... I've looked online and the only thing I haven't tried is formatting, reinstalling Windows and installing the Logitech software immediately, and I'm not willing to do that.

Is there replacement software that will let me map my mouse buttons? If not, what's a good mouse with ~3 side buttons?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tzirean posted:

So I'm tired of trying to install Logitech Gaming Software or SetPoint on my system. The install fires and automatically quits after a few seconds without ever displaying anything, regardless of being run as admin or not, in safe mode or not, after a clean boot or not, with the mouse plugged in or not, copying the installation files from another computer or not... I've looked online and the only thing I haven't tried is formatting, reinstalling Windows and installing the Logitech software immediately, and I'm not willing to do that.

Is there replacement software that will let me map my mouse buttons? If not, what's a good mouse with ~3 side buttons?

Install it on another machine and configure your mouse. The settings are stored on the mouse itself so the software is not needed after.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i just adopted a ket who i found out has a chewing fascination with my mouse wires so i want to ask if logitech's line of wireless mice are any good and if there are any problems to look out for?

specifically g304 (afaik exactly the same as g305) vs g603 and if they have any problems / concerns and any tips for managing battery life

i read about a scroll wheel issue but i couldn't find if it has been fixed

ps - i considered the 703 plus the fancy mat but apparently those together are about a thousand bucks here, which is four times the amount of what i can get the 603 so... no. maybe just the 703 on its own though?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Logitech wireless mice are good and have as good or better response times than wired mice in some comparisons.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

mouse bungee are totally worth it, even the $6 one on amazon is great. I had to use some rubber bands to hold the cord securely but it works. If you have a lightweight paracord cord you dont need em.

This was mouse bungee I was using before:

It was call a mouse bungee but it was more of a cord-keep-in-place device. It still dragged the cord around the mat. The paracord mods are a neat idea but I don't have tools to do something like that.

I have been getting insane kill streaks in BFV since I got the Zowie bungee and my aim in Siege has improved quite a bit. If you have a logitech mouse, the cord is alittle thick for the holder so you need to force it in a little.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Artelier posted:

i just adopted a ket who i found out has a chewing fascination with my mouse wires so i want to ask if logitech's line of wireless mice are any good and if there are any problems to look out for?

specifically g304 (afaik exactly the same as g305) vs g603 and if they have any problems / concerns and any tips for managing battery life

i read about a scroll wheel issue but i couldn't find if it has been fixed

ps - i considered the 703 plus the fancy mat but apparently those together are about a thousand bucks here, which is four times the amount of what i can get the 603 so... no. maybe just the 703 on its own though?

I am using the 603 and have the 703 as well. The 703 doesn't hold a charge super long without the mat - 3-4 days for me. I have had the 603 since October? and haven't had to change batteries yet with 8+ hours a day of use 5 days a week.

If you have a desktop where it is easy to plug/unplug the 703 on its own is great. If you have a laptop, I find swapping batteries in the 603 more convenient than plugging in and dealing with the long cord of the 703. Both are great mice.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

HungryMedusa posted:

I am using the 603 and have the 703 as well. The 703 doesn't hold a charge super long without the mat - 3-4 days for me. I have had the 603 since October? and haven't had to change batteries yet with 8+ hours a day of use 5 days a week.

If you have a desktop where it is easy to plug/unplug the 703 on its own is great. If you have a laptop, I find swapping batteries in the 603 more convenient than plugging in and dealing with the long cord of the 703. Both are great mice.

I think the 703 is rated for ~20 hours (depending on lighting,) and the 603 is of course one of those long-life mice rated for like 6 months. The 703 really needs to be used with the Powerplay mat; it's expensive, but it makes the mouse 100% wireless and it's fantastic. I use the 703 exclusively for gaming nowadays and I've never plugged it in (or had to swap batteries) ever. The 903 and [new wireless] G Pro are also fine choices for the same reason.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Been using the same batteries in my G603 since August of last year, and it only just started giving me low (30%) notifications a couple weeks ago. Right now it's reporting 20% but I'm gonna ignore them until 10%. I use it probably 12-14 hours a day and these were the batteries it came with (had to RMA the old one and this is the replacement).

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
The G603 is crazy efficient for a gaming mouse. I use a single low capacity Eneloop for maximum lightness and that lasts for 8+ weeks. It's basically the wireless Intellimouse Explorer I always dreamed of.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I was thinking about getting a G603 but after reading some of the Amazon reviews now I'm not so sure. Are the issues with the mouse that widespread?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

spasticColon posted:

I was thinking about getting a G603 but after reading some of the Amazon reviews now I'm not so sure. Are the issues with the mouse that widespread?

My sample size =1, and when I pull up Amazon they've lumped the reviews for the G603, G703 and G903 together. Dammit Amazon, that's almost as bad as the shady resellers who take a well-reviewed item and change the description and photos to reflect their poo poo tier high-volume item (loving lightning cables,) so who the gently caress knows.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Speaking from experience - they all have had some issues. To a certain level they're workable. My wired 403 had a loose scroll wheel. This was one of the first batches made and was fully replaced by Logitech. The replacement has worked just fine since then.

Decided to go wireless after that experience and I bought 2 wireless 403s. They both had the scroll one direction and it scrolls back the other direction issue - aka absolutely unusable. The loose scroll wheel could be lived with, but this effectively killed the wheel. Logitech replaced the wireless 403s with new 603s.

The 603s are working just fine. The biggest difference is the 404/703 have a lightly textured side grip area, which makes it easier to pick up off the mouse pad. Battery life is great. No lighting tho if that's important to you.

Weight is a little different compared to the 403, and with the lack of the grippy rubber I haven't gamed with them much. This made me start using them for office/htpc purposes and they're doing fine.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I would want something with a grip texture because my hand sometimes gets sweaty while gaming so I might just stick with my 602 and 502 for now since they have a grip texture. I switched back to my 602 and even though it's slightly heavier not having to deal with a cord is so nice.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 31, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spasticColon posted:

I would want something with a grip texture because my hand sometimes gets sweaty while gaming so I might just stick with my 602 and 502 for now since they have a grip texture. I switched back to my 602 and even though it's slightly heavier not having to deal with a cord is so nice.

A few people really like to cut out griptape for the buttons and sides. Its your mouse, you can mod it however

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
How ashy/greasy do you have to be to need grip tape?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

monsterzero posted:

My sample size =1, and when I pull up Amazon they've lumped the reviews for the G603, G703 and G903 together. Dammit Amazon, that's almost as bad as the shady resellers who take a well-reviewed item and change the description and photos to reflect their poo poo tier high-volume item (loving lightning cables,) so who the gently caress knows.

That happens automatically based on how the items are listed (and they really shouldn't have 3 completely different models listed together, but that's another story,) however you can filter to the reviews you want to see by selecting the product in the "format" drop down box:

monsterzero posted:

How ashy/greasy do you have to be to need grip tape?

Eh, he said "sweaty;" I can see a mouse with a slick finish getting slippery after a fairly long, intense gaming session, especially in a humid climate (so in other words, not where I am right now!)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Went with the G703, mostly because:
- It was only slightly more expensive than the G603, slightly more meaning getting a G603 and a small pack of (alkaline) batteries
- I found display copies! And the feel's better
- I'll be using it mainly on my desktop, so I can just leave a cable here and plug it in every other night or so :)

Thanks for the input everyone! Loving it so far.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
G602 is an Amazon Deal of the Day for $25.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My 603 is great and in Hi mode it's the first wireless mouse I've used that feels as responsive as my old wired G9.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's the practical difference between achieving an eDPI of 5000 with say, 1000 DPI x 5 in game sens vs 2000 DPI x 2.5 in game sens?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Splinter posted:

What's the practical difference between achieving an eDPI of 5000 with say, 1000 DPI x 5 in game sens vs 2000 DPI x 2.5 in game sens?

I'd presume that the sensor with the higher native DPI would be more precise, but you wouldn't really be gaming at such high DPI anyway.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Was just using those numbers for a straight forward example. I'm currently running 1600 DPI x 0.7 sens in Source / 2.33 in Overwatch (those are roughly equivalent I believe), which gives me around a 180 turn when traversing the full width of my mouse pad. The mouse (G305) has a DPI range of 200 - 12,000, and there isn't any rhyme or reason to why I opted for 1600. Was just curious if there was any compelling reason to use a lower or higher DPI to achieve the same effective sensitivity (adjusting the in game sensitivity to compensate for the DPI change).

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
You can get pixel skipping if it's really low but even at 400 dpi it's fine. Use what you prefer on the desktop.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
To add to this, is there any noticable (as in to me, not a pro gamer, just a regular PC gamer) difference in setting my G Pro to 1600 DPI and Windows sensitivity higher or keeping Windows sensitivity low and using 3200 DPI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

To add to this, is there any noticable (as in to me, not a pro gamer, just a regular PC gamer) difference in setting my G Pro to 1600 DPI and Windows sensitivity higher or keeping Windows sensitivity low and using 3200 DPI?

I think the sensitivity slider in Windows uses acceleration, so keep it centered unless that's what you want.