Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I just got a G903 on sale and I'm liking it, but it turns out that the magnets for the weight compartment will also try to stick to your desk if you got metal there. Gonna have to see if a Powerplay mat will still have the same issue when the charging puck is installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I am torn between the G502 lightspeed and MX Master 3. I've never used a DPI higher than 4k for gaming, so I don't care about the G502's sensor going all the way up to 16k. The MX Master 3 looks very comfy, and I don't mind the extra weight. Also I do a lot of spreadsheet and database work these days, so the side scroll wheel is tempting. Are there any other drawbacks to the MX Master 3 besides price, weight, and DPI?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I am torn between the G502 lightspeed and MX Master 3. I've never used a DPI higher than 4k for gaming, so I don't care about the G502's sensor going all the way up to 16k. The MX Master 3 looks very comfy, and I don't mind the extra weight. Also I do a lot of spreadsheet and database work these days, so the side scroll wheel is tempting. Are there any other drawbacks to the MX Master 3 besides price, weight, and DPI?

It's terrible for gaming.

Not the end of the world; you can get a G305 or something and use that for games and an MX Master for everything else, but it's not built for gaming and feels pretty rough to use.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ah, poo poo, MX Master 3 off the shortlist then.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It's terrible for gaming.

Not the end of the world; you can get a G305 or something and use that for games and an MX Master for everything else, but it's not built for gaming and feels pretty rough to use.

In what way is it terrible for gaming?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Not sure about the MX Master 3 in particular, but as I recall older models had the middle mouse click act as the toggle for the hyper scroll. You may want to check to make sure you're okay with that, it was the main reason I picked up a Triathlon instead when I was looking for a wireless mouse for travel.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

In what way is it terrible for gaming?

IIRC the sensor has issues compared to their newer gaming mice.

I used it for WoW for a while and it was fine, but I wouldn't use it for any FPS or anything.

mewse
May 2, 2006

isndl posted:

Not sure about the MX Master 3 in particular, but as I recall older models had the middle mouse click act as the toggle for the hyper scroll. You may want to check to make sure you're okay with that, it was the main reason I picked up a Triathlon instead when I was looking for a wireless mouse for travel.

I really like my triathlon as a work mouse. Bluetooth has been solid.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

isndl posted:

The 3 apparently has the usual separate button switch.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I use my MX Master 3 for gaming and haven't experienced any issues with it?

Granted, it's not multiplayer stuff or anything.

Also while it has a separate button for hyperscroll, the MX Master 3 can still scroll with the button off because of magnets or something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Those of us who do intensive multiplayer poo poo tend to be way more picky when it comes to mice, so while I'm sure it's perfectly fine for more low-tempo games I'm getting the impression it might not be for competitive FPS games.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
After reading up on the MX Master 3 some more, I came across a couple reviews reporting that its sensor has some built-in acceleration, which is absolutely a dealbreaker for me. I misread a price somewhere, though — like hell am I paying $150 for the G502 lightspeed. I have a wired G502 already, it's just in storage in a completely different country, so I think I'll just get another one of those.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

built-in acceleration

I shuddered.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Those of us who do intensive multiplayer poo poo tend to be way more picky when it comes to mice, so while I'm sure it's perfectly fine for more low-tempo games I'm getting the impression it might not be for competitive FPS games.

Yeah, I can definitely see not wanting one if you do FPS stuff. I just use mine for Skyrim, GTA V, and various single player stuff that I don't absolutely need a controller for (for that. I use Xbox 360 controller).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Minorkos posted:

I got tendonitis in my right forearm and using my Zowie EC1-A with my left hand wasn't very practical, so I decided to get an ambidextrous mouse. I figured I could use the same mouse later with my rightie as well (figured my EC1-A could have partially caused the tendonitis in the first place) so I got a Razer Viper. At first I didn't really like it since I'm used to palming bigger mice and the Viper isn't that big, but in a way I feel like the fact that it's smaller and lighter makes it easier to palm and click without strain. On the other hand, my EC1-A feels nicer to hold in a static position, but as soon as I need to move it or click with it, I can feel the very prominent hump driving into my palm and kind of straining my fingers.

It seems kind of counter-intuitive to me that a smaller mouse is easier to palm, but it looks like that's the case for me. I'm not entirely sure if I'll stick with the Razer Viper since I dislike the ambidextrous thing and it is pretty cramped for my fingers, so really I'd need a mouse with the EC1-A's length/width but with a lot less height. Maybe one of the newer Deathadders would strike a decent balance. Blog over

I have the same mouse and I agree with you 100%. I didn't think I would like it coming from a Naga (which is a gigantic loving mouse) but I love it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Joe Man posted:

Have had a couple days with the giant ReflexLab mousepad (along with the new MS Intellimouse Pro):

Reflex Lab XXL: It's great! It fits a lot better on the desk than I thought it would and while it's not quite as thick as my SteelSeries one, the coverage is absolutely worth it for the convenience of being able to track on my left with my work mouse. It's a bit slower than my previous ones too but I'll get used to it.

MS Intellimouse Pro: Well, I've finally found the perfect mouse. After coming from SS Rivals, the build quality on the MSIP is leagues better and the larger/heightened shape fits my hand perfectly. Strongly recommend if you have larger hands and are looking for an alternative to the Rival.
Just wanted to update the thread after a few months with the new MS Intellimouse Pro:

It's still the perfect mouse.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've used my MX Master 2 for gaming for about a year now. It's fine. Perhaps it isn't a l33t gam4r mouse, but it's still the best mouse I've ever used.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
when people talk about whether a mouse is "good for games" they are generally zeroing in on a few specific things like extremely low latency/high polling rate, a "perfect" sensor, and relatively minimal weight

If you don't already know/care about those things, and/or you're happy gaming with a productivity mouse, good on you for not being down the rabbit hole like us degenerates

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, use whatever mouse feels good, you don't need the dumb burden we bear.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But then you'll never know whether you just got fragged because you have the wrong mouse or because you lack skill.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fame Douglas posted:

But then you'll never know whether you just got fragged because you have the wrong mouse or because you lack skill.
Everybody told me the problem was between the chair and the keyboard, so I bought a new gaming mat and I'm still not Shroud. :colbert:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe you could try some Razer gaming chewing gum?

https://press.razer.com/product-news/level-up-your-mind-and-taste-buds-respawn-and-5-gum-bring-new-chewing-gum-created-for-gamers/

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

Everybody told me the problem was between the chair and the keyboard, so I bought a new gaming mat and I'm still not Shroud. :colbert:

Then you need to consult the experts at r/mousepadreview and r/mousereview. There you can get yelled at by wannabe Shrouds who are looking for "endgame" products but will never be happy because they never stop buying things for their collection.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As a person that owns way more mechanical keyboards than any sane person should, I'm not going to cast any stones.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

As a person that owns way more mechanical keyboards than any sane person should, I'm not going to cast any stones.

whiskey stones? how about ice cube shapes?

All hobbies are populated by entirely insane people

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

https://youtu.be/4ZK8Z8hulFg

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I would not game on the MX Master 3.
It would be like trying to drive around a racetrack in a big comfy limo vs a racecar.

Plus the shape of the mouse is NOT conducive to maximum control and speed. It is set up for comfortable use and just feels like a nice place to rest your hand all day.
The shape is very supponated and has a STEEP heel. It feels weird, but like, in a nice way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

You know, after some more wear, my G502 is actually good again even though the rubber on the left side fell off, like I mentioned. I realized that the smooth plastic underneath is preferable to the gunky, almost-falling-off-rubber I'd been dealing with for over a year, and I'm pretty happy that I can keep using it for the foreseeable future. It's a good rear end mouse.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

LordAdakos posted:

What trackball do you recommend?

Sorry I forgot to bookmark this. CST L-Trac the buy it for for life glowing blue magic ball of ergo. You will find a use for it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Just pulled the trigger on an XM1 to replace my decade-old Logitech G9.

I sure hope this wasn't a mistake! :toot:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish Logitech would just put the colored GPW out for a regular release or at least a 1 time unlimited production run based on pre-orders. The last few limited sales were sold out before they even launched making them literally impossible for a regular human to buy. I would gladly pay 200 for a pink or blue GPW even though its no longer the king of light wireless mice and i already have a perfectly functional GPW.

No way am i paying for a colorware one when i have no ability to send it back if it double clicks

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 13, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Or you could try a Razer leak of all your PII!

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/09/100000-razer-users-data-leaked-due-to-misconfigured-elasticsearch/

(The biggest fault here is not that they left their database open to the public, but that they gave a security researcher doing responsible disclosure the runaround for three weeks on the easiest possible issue to solve.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guess if people want the RGB configuration of my Basilisk, they can simply download it themselves now!

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an XM1 to replace my decade-old Logitech G9.

I sure hope this wasn't a mistake! :toot:

I love my XM1 but i hope you ordered white because the black one is a oil magnet. It's not a big deal if you clean the mouse once in a while.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Then you need to consult the experts at r/mousepadreview and r/mousereview. There you can get yelled at by wannabe Shrouds who are looking for "endgame" products but will never be happy because they never stop buying things for their collection.

Tbf you do need to replace your mousepad every year or two (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on the pad) as they get worn out and lose their glide. It's also worth having a couple on hand just so that hwen you have to wash one you're not left with nothing to use for a day while the main one dries.

I was shocked at what a difference it made when, while I washed my main pad, I used an older one which had worn a bit. My aim was terrible.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So...I've been thinking of cutting off the "holders" of the USB on my G703. The claw-like thing here:

I figure it'll just make it into a "normal" micro-USB with no extra grip. Is this a good idea? I've got a few items that use the same type USB port (camera, Kindle, power bank, etc) so I figure I might as well keep just one cable.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Artelier posted:

So...I've been thinking of cutting off the "holders" of the USB on my G703. The claw-like thing here:

I figure it'll just make it into a "normal" micro-USB with no extra grip. Is this a good idea? I've got a few items that use the same type USB port (camera, Kindle, power bank, etc) so I figure I might as well keep just one cable.

I think that's a really bad idea. I had a portable usb3 hard drive with a similar connector (a little wider, usb3 instead of usb2) and throwing it in my backpack with the cable connected eventually broke the connector from the pcb inside the hard drive.

What I mean is that micro-usb connector is tiny and fragile and subjecting it to constant movement without those tabs will cause it to fail much, much faster than just leaving the tabs intact. You can get another microusb cable at a convenience store because they're used for charging cell phones, you can't replace that mouse cable (or mouse!) as easily.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Artelier posted:

I doubt it'd damage the cable but if you use the mouse with it attached it could stress the connector. I'd be more inclined to buy a micro USB cable and just use it for your other devices or for your mouse when it's not in use if the wings bother you. I usually buy 10 or more at a time from monoprice or just get a 2 or 3 pack from amazon:
https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/usb-&-lightning-cables/micro-usb-cables

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've hosed up the USB connection on several 360 controllers through regular use, so if the wings help at all, then I would absolutely advise keeping them. getting a loose pin sucks, getting a loose socket sucks way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
A spare cable is cheap, a new mouse when you gently caress up the USB port is not.