Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Why do some people want heavier mice? Mostly out of habit?

This basilisk feels so much better to me than the g502 I'm wondering if something even lighter (like the viper) would be a proportional improvement.

As a "casual", I wasn't a big fan of super light mice like the Viper. On the other hand, I think the Basilisk Ultimate is a bit heavier than ideal. My preference would probably be in the 80-90g range. That's why I'm tempted to try the wireless DeathAdder, but I'd likely prefer the ergonomics of the Basilisk and am tired of buying and returning mice at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sniper button no longer works as the g-shift key. I'm not sure if I did something or the software's bugging out. I can't find an option to reset to default settings (it's only available for onboard memory).

Also for whatever reason, you can't g-shift scroll up or down.

e:a reboot fixed it. in general, not a fan of G hub.

e2:it happened again. this time with my old mouse.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 12, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Try using LGS instead.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rinkles posted:

Why do some people want heavier mice? Mostly out of habit?

This basilisk feels so much better to me than the g502 I'm wondering if something even lighter (like the viper) would be a proportional improvement.

There's probably some human psychology involved where big heavy things just feel more solid and premium. I think for the majority of people the lighter the better in practice however.

wolrah posted:

What I don't get are people who used some middle weight combination on the adjustable mice.

I can see someone who has a lot of muscle memory on a specific mouse wanting to keep the weight as close as possible when moving to a new one. It's pretty niche though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Cefte posted:

I did indeed, and updated to the newest (which achieved no change), and specifically asked the Razer rep about it, to be told that the Atheris doesn't have firmware. Which makes sense. As a mouse, it emerges spontaneously, from grain.

How long are we talking for the Basilisk Ultimate to wake? This is running multiple seconds, which strikes me as... not great, and also not at all what it was like a month ago.

9/10 times it take no time at all to wake up, but once in a blue moon it refuses to wake unless I pick it up and put it back down a couple of times, could be my black mousepad though

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any wireless ambidextrous mouse suggestions? Wanna use it on my left hand a bit more as I work from home and feel like I'm edging closer and closer to carpal tunnel.

I tried looking on Shopee but putting in ambidextrous mouse and I see some designs being sold under it that are very clearly not ambidextrous.

And wireless because I has cat. Cat sees moving wire, cat pounce. Wireless!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Artelier posted:

Any wireless ambidextrous mouse suggestions? Wanna use it on my left hand a bit more as I work from home and feel like I'm edging closer and closer to carpal tunnel.

I tried looking on Shopee but putting in ambidextrous mouse and I see some designs being sold under it that are very clearly not ambidextrous.

Since you didn't give a budget. Razer Viper Ultimate. I have it and the thing is awesome.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Artelier posted:

Do you mean “has extra buttons on both sides” or “has an ambidextrous shape”?

If you just need the ambi shape, there are a lot of options for wireless mice where the shape is ambi but they only have extra buttons for a right handed person. The Logitech 305 would probably be good if so.

The G Pro Wireless is actually fully ambi afaik, but a lot more expensive.

You could also try a vertical mouse or rollerball if you’re just looking for ergonomics.

The above are all also gaming mice more or less (tho the 305 is reasonably priced)— I’m not sure if there’s something outside that world which would be better.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
how can i best clean the logitech mx master 3? i don’t wan to damage the material, but it’s built up some goon grime

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

jabro posted:

Since you didn't give a budget. Razer Viper Ultimate. I have it and the thing is awesome.

tildes posted:

Do you mean “has extra buttons on both sides” or “has an ambidextrous shape”?

If you just need the ambi shape, there are a lot of options for wireless mice where the shape is ambi but they only have extra buttons for a right handed person. The Logitech 305 would probably be good if so.

The G Pro Wireless is actually fully ambi afaik, but a lot more expensive.

You could also try a vertical mouse or rollerball if you’re just looking for ergonomics.

The above are all also gaming mice more or less (tho the 305 is reasonably priced)— I’m not sure if there’s something outside that world which would be better.

Thanks for the suggestions! Looked a few of these up and they cost a bomb, which I should've expected. Maybe the 305 will do since that's pretty reasonable price for a "spare but good on the left hand and still wireless" mouse! Shame on the lack of buttons on the right side but shouldn't be too big a deal

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artelier posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! Looked a few of these up and they cost a bomb, which I should've expected. Maybe the 305 will do since that's pretty reasonable price for a "spare but good on the left hand and still wireless" mouse! Shame on the lack of buttons on the right side but shouldn't be too big a deal

also keep in mind that the newest g pro wireless superlight is not ambi.

Are you in the US? I have a spare sealed g pro wireless I may be able to sell for cheap.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

also keep in mind that the newest g pro wireless superlight is not ambi.

Are you in the US? I have a spare sealed g pro wireless I may be able to sell for cheap.

Thanks for the offer but nah, am in Malaysia! So I gotta shop online through here and lots of products that claim to be ambidextrous but the thumbnail already shows a one sided ergonomic design, hence why I had to ask for specific models. Eyeing that G304 but this morning I found an old Logitech wireless that no one is using anymore so might just be able to live with this!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Basilisk retains the G502/402's ridge at the left end of the LMB. Except they took off G7 and G8, so I keep trying to hit buttons that feel like they're there but aren't.

meta˛
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I wanted to share a recommendation for the terribly named Pwnage Mouse Ultra Symm.

Super minimal, comfortable, inoffensive, unbranded but amazing new gaming mouse. I just got mine yesterday but I am really into it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Couple months in with the Deathadder V2 wireless and I really love this mouse, holds a charge pretty well even with near constant use. I don't think I'd want a lighter mouse than this, and I was skepticle how much I'd appreciate wireless vs wired but it's great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 pronged question:

For WAH office use, is the Logitech MX Master 3 basically the best option?

For gaming use, if I love the G502 but wish it was wireless and lighter, is the G502 wireless the best option or should I consider a different manufacturer?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I have a mx master 3 for WAH use. It's a pretty nice mouse, and I like the thumb button/gestures available for the Mac OS. Swapping between virtual desktops and bringing up expose view is neat. I'm still not 100% sold on the scroll wheel though, but I'm getting used to it. So far no real complaints, and it's better than the 10-,year old mouse with tracking problems I used before.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

What features of it do you find appealing? Do any concern you?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

2 pronged question:

For gaming use, if I love the G502 but wish it was wireless and lighter, is the G502 wireless the best option or should I consider a different manufacturer?
I use the most comfortable mouse I own for work. For me, that's a wired cm storm xornet. It's just wide enough for my pinky to comfortably touch the side.

For work from home, I'm lazy and swap the dongle for my g703 from desktop to laptop pretty often.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 20, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Artelier posted:

Thanks for the offer but nah, am in Malaysia! So I gotta shop online through here and lots of products that claim to be ambidextrous but the thumbnail already shows a one sided ergonomic design, hence why I had to ask for specific models. Eyeing that G304 but this morning I found an old Logitech wireless that no one is using anymore so might just be able to live with this!

Oh no gl with your elections.

(Also in general if mouse pain is an issue it might be worth trying some alternative like a rollerball or vertical mouse)

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a way to disable acceleration (or cancel out if its built-in, as I understand it might be?) the mouse acceleration on a MX Master 3? I still keep an old G403 close by for the casual black ops zombie but I'd much rather not have to switch

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I got an MX Master 3 bluetooth mouse that has been having some serious input lag on my new windows machine. It used to do that on my mac, but stopped inexplicably. Anyone else have this issue?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Is there a way to disable acceleration (or cancel out if its built-in, as I understand it might be?) the mouse acceleration on a MX Master 3? I still keep an old G403 close by for the casual black ops zombie but I'd much rather not have to switch

Sensor acceleration is very different from windows/game mouse acceleration. Those work by accumulating the effect of motion events over short periods of time; sensor acceleration is the tendency for ratio between the physical distance the mouse moves and the number of events to change when the speed at which the mouse moves changes.

The problem is as hard as calculating where your mouse is based on an initial position and the mouse events it has emitted, knowing that either some of those events are spurious or (in the case of negative acceleration) that there are "missing" events (i.e. the mouse has moved and didn't tell you).

In short, your mouse manufacturer did their professional best when designing the mouse to linearize the distance:event relationship and you're unlikely to do any better without a lot of work.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got a Logitech Performance MX that has been my mouse at work for like the past 8 years or something. it still works fine but I find the MX anywhere I use at home comfier since I dont have giant hands.

Is there anything out there with similar stlying/button customisability that isnt logitech that is worth looking at besides the latest version of each of my current mice?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

2 pronged question:

For gaming, the Razer Basilisk Ultimate is better than the G502 wireless. Literally the only thing the G502 has on it is the infinite scroll wheel and slightly more accessible sniper button. The scroll on its lowest resistance has no tactile feel and is kind of similar, and I find the sniper button position useless on both of them, so that makes no difference to me. Oh and the Basilisk has the optical switches instead of the lovely ones that fail after a year that Logitech have been using.

I use my G502 wireless for work, but for literally everything else I use the Basilisk.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 22, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seeing that I was unsatisfied with all the mice I'd recently tried, my sister decided to buy me... a Naga Trinity for a laugh. It's chunky and a bit heavy, but I can't deny the swappable side panels are neat. It's seems well made. And the clicking on the numpad side panel feels so good.

The middle click is near perfect. So light! (idk if these things are just luck of the draw)

The circular side panel has just the right amount of buttons I'd like, but my thumb rests in slightly forward of where I think Razer was intending.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 24, 2021

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

meta˛ posted:

I wanted to share a recommendation for the terribly named Pwnage Mouse Ultra Symm.

Super minimal, comfortable, inoffensive, unbranded but amazing new gaming mouse. I just got mine yesterday but I am really into it.

I got the xenics version of this mouse and I am looking forward to trying it out

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Is there a gooncesus on good ergonomic/vertical mice? I'm looking at the Logitech MX Vertical, but it looks like that's the only model they offer and seems pretty massive and a bit unwieldy, some I'm trying to shop around a bit

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there a gooncesus on good ergonomic/vertical mice? I'm looking at the Logitech MX Vertical, but it looks like that's the only model they offer and seems pretty massive and a bit unwieldy, some I'm trying to shop around a bit

Every vertical mouse is massive and unwieldy. They're designed so you use your upper arm and shoulder to move them around, so they're big and chunky.

There's a generic design that gets rebranded by a bunch of different companies including Monoprice and Anker. It's even chunkier than the Logitech version, but if you want to see whether you like the concept before you throw down $80-100 on the MX Vertical, it works well enough to try it out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've used evoluent's vertical mouse for years - they have been fine for me.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
https://twitter.com/MIONIX/status/1347137001204674565

:woop:

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Neat! In the meantime, I recommend Dreammachines DM2 Comfy series; they're like $40 and have a much better scroll wheel. Not as rubberized as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does a mouse like this exist:

-lightweight, no more than ~90g
-index finger button(s), like on a g502
-ideally with an extra thumb button in addition to mouse 4 and 5 (like a sniper button)

?

I'm guessing the fact that most lightweight mice don't have many buttons isn't coincidental.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Rinkles posted:

-ideally with an extra thumb button in addition to mouse 4 and 5 (like a sniper button)
Maybe the G402 if you drill some speed holes in it? 90g seems pretty tough to reach.

I have seen some people taking apart wireless mice to slot in smaller batteries for a lower weight. Maybe that's an option to keep in mind?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

?

I'm guessing the fact that most lightweight mice don't have many buttons isn't coincidental.

Although no index finger buttons, the Razer Basilisk X is 92g with a thumb button
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/Razer-Basilisk-X-HyperSpeed/RZ01-03150100-R3U1

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I'm also looking into buying a new mouse, as my Roccat Kone Pure is starting to age poorly.

I would say I'm looking to have:
- Good quality build / materials
- Configurable buttons, at least the back/previous
- Decently usable customization software

I'm unsure if I should pick up the new generation of the Kone Pure, the plastics didn't age really gracefully on this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Roumba posted:

Maybe the G402 if you drill some speed holes in it? 90g seems pretty tough to reach.

I have seen some people taking apart wireless mice to slot in smaller batteries for a lower weight. Maybe that's an option to keep in mind?

I'm actually upgrading from the G402 (it double clicks). I've been considering picking up a new one if I can find one cheap. But since discovering how great lightweight mice feel, I'd prefer something lighter.

Twerkdad posted:

Although no index finger buttons, the Razer Basilisk X is 92g with a thumb button
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/Razer-Basilisk-X-HyperSpeed/RZ01-03150100-R3U1

With a AA it ends up weighing a fair bit more.

I tried out the slightly more expensive Basilisk V2, and I liked it a lot, but it was far enough from perfect for me to not want to spend that much money on.

On that note I'm now trying out a Deathadder v2. Its lightness actually makes up for its lack of buttons to an extent, cause you don't need a dedicated shortcut if just moving your mouse is that much less of an exertion. Still it's expensive and I would really miss at least having a "sniper" button (I never use it for that function). But it has convinced me that I really want a lightweight.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you want to cut weight on a wireless mouse they'll run on a AAA with a wad of tinfoil to reach the contacts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some Goon posted:

If you want to cut weight on a wireless mouse they'll run on a AAA with a wad of tinfoil to reach the contacts.

Wouldn't that rattle? (and I think that would still put the Basilisk X over 100g)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Wouldn't that rattle? (and I think that would still put the Basilisk X over 100g)

There are AAA to AA adapter you can buy if you want a less hacky solution.