Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Arione posted:

anyone tried the new 2013 mechanical naga?

I've got one. I love it, coming from a RAT 7. The build quality is really solid, and it feels great in my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Well, Func #3 has begun to reset and cut out. Will be sending some emails to them and Logitech (about the faulty m705).
I'm tired of loving mouse issues.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
One man's quest for a decent loving mouse. Maybe one of our resident mouse gurus can recommend a durable mouse from a company with a reputation for reliability (in their mice).

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sinestro posted:

I've got one. I love it, coming from a RAT 7. The build quality is really solid, and it feels great in my hand.

I saw a demo at best buy Honolulu but they didnt have any in stock, it also wasn't connected to a computer so I couldnt really tell other than the clickiness of the buttons.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
When people say $100 mouse I assume they're talking about videogames, am I wrong? Get a small mouse, lighweight. You shouldn't be resting your whole palm on the mouse if you're going for speed. Now turn the DPI down to like 500, and the polling up as high as it goes. Turn mouse prediction off. Get the biggest, slickest, flattest mousepad you can find and learn to move your arm around really fast. That is what every good shooter/moba/starcraft player does. I like my Razer Deathadder, it works great and the settings are very easily adjusted. Don't fall into the trap of "convenient" buttons, especially pinky buttons. They suck and you'll click them when you're trying to move the mouse around. Stuff like the Naga is pretty stupid unless you're playing WoW or something with a hundred macros on each key and you really need 17 more keys.

If that doesn't sound interesting to you, get something fat, heavy, ugly and wireless from logitech with a plugin recharging cable you can duct tape to the side of your desk, and change the DPI to approximately 2200.

RATs are good but not worth the cash, because I assume you're not an ergonomist. Heavy mice are frequently the most comfortable because they give the illusion of control, while still moving the pointer a lot with not very much physical effort.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

When people say $100 mouse I assume they're talking about videogames, am I wrong? Get a small mouse, lighweight. You shouldn't be resting your whole palm on the mouse if you're going for speed. Now turn the DPI down to like 500, and the polling up as high as it goes. Turn mouse prediction off. Get the biggest, slickest, flattest mousepad you can find and learn to move your arm around really fast. That is what every good shooter/moba/starcraft player does. I like my Razer Deathadder, it works great and the settings are very easily adjusted. Don't fall into the trap of "convenient" buttons, especially pinky buttons. They suck and you'll click them when you're trying to move the mouse around. Stuff like the Naga is pretty stupid unless you're playing WoW or something with a hundred macros on each key and you really need 17 more keys.

If that doesn't sound interesting to you, get something fat, heavy, ugly and wireless from logitech with a plugin recharging cable you can duct tape to the side of your desk, and change the DPI to approximately 2200.

RATs are good but not worth the cash, because I assume you're not an ergonomist. Heavy mice are frequently the most comfortable because they give the illusion of control, while still moving the pointer a lot with not very much physical effort.
Is this a joke post?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arione posted:

anyone tried the new 2013 mechanical naga?

I have one.

Awesome mouse. Terrible drivers. Have fun deciding what to do.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

While I agree with most of your advice on mousing, are you like, responding to someone else or just felt like vomiting a paragraph of mouse knowledge on the thread?

On another note, I recently got a Deathadder 2013 and I like it quite a bit. I found the Synapse 2.0 drivers to be pretty easy to use and non-intrusive, I don't know why everybody seemed so worked up about them. My only issue is the scroll wheel rattles and apparently this is a common problem. I'm almost ready to take it apart to mod it some way but I don't even know if its an easily fixable problem.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Wasabi the J posted:

I have one.

Awesome mouse. Terrible drivers. Have fun deciding what to do.

define terrible drivers?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Arione posted:

define terrible drivers?

The profiles are stored in software and loaded onto the mouse on startup, and you need to keep the software running. Also, it uses cloud storage for the profile so assumes an open internet connection. You can however switch it to offline mode where it won't do this. I think when it first came out this wasn't an option, and there was a period where the servers were offline so people couldn't use it beyond the basic mouse functions. Experience like that can kill peoples' perceptions of something for life.

My experience of it (I didn't use Synapse until I got the Naga, and it was well bedded in by then) is that I get a slight flash of the loading screen on startup, then I forget it's there. The actual interface for selecting keys and profiles is a lot better than Logitech's Gaming Software app.

I also have a 2014 Naga and it is everything the old Naga wasn't for me. It fits comfortably in my hand, the button action is precise and the scroll wheel is possibly the best one I've ever used. The M4/ M5 buttons* are in a completely unusable position (behind the scroll wheel) so for me it's only a 17 button mouse, but the thumb buttons are so well placed that I don't really need them anyway.

* I remapped M4/M5 to wheel tilt left/ right

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 2, 2013

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Horizontal Tree posted:

Well, Func #3 has begun to reset and cut out. Will be sending some emails to them and Logitech (about the faulty m705).
I'm tired of loving mouse issues.

Tree you poor bastard, I hope they at least offer you free cross shipping at this point. You originally bought through newegg right? They have spectacular customer service when vendors don't get the job done, you might want to contact them and tell them what happened. End the email with something like "and I'm just tired of this and want to get a different mouse" and they'll probably give you a full refund.

edit: Who's our resident logitech goon? The g602 is a really nice mouse, it's just sad that it doesn't have wired/wireless/rechargability like the g700s.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 2, 2013

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Any suggestions for a big, heavy mouse? I was using a Logitech G600 for awhile, but the extra buttons are impractical, and after three straight Logitech mice just giving up the ghost in a period of less then a year, I'm getting tired. Is there another reliable brand?

Edit: Is wireless actually good nowadays? 2/3 of the deaths wouldn't have happened with wireless.

Carados fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 3, 2013

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I think that all mice are unreliable. Some companies just back their product more than others.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After 5 years of use my logitech G9 finally broke. Logitech no longer makes the G9 series for no discernible reason, so they sent me a G600. I just received it in the mail today and I hate it. The G9 was the best mouse I've ever had, and I've become incredibly use to the small profile (I think it was called claw grip?). The G600 is just too fat and tall for my liking.

Is there an equivalent current mouse to the G9x or do I just need to shell out 100+ dollars for a G9 on ebay/amazon?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Megasabin posted:

After 5 years of use my logitech G9 finally broke. Logitech no longer makes the G9 series for no discernible reason, so they sent me a G600. I just received it in the mail today and I hate it. The G9 was the best mouse I've ever had, and I've become incredibly use to the small profile (I think it was called claw grip?). The G600 is just too fat and tall for my liking.

Is there an equivalent current mouse to the G9x or do I just need to shell out 100+ dollars for a G9 on ebay/amazon?

Hah, same thing happened to me earlier in the thread. I received a G400s and it's actually really awesome but I ended up just using it at work and taking my work G9X to use at home :sigh:

I am going to be so drat sad when you can't even find them anymore. The G700s is really neat in terms of all the buttons, but I hate the shape and feel of it compared to the G9X.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Well, the busted Func chronicles continue. I was in the hospital for 4 days, I get back, and its completely dead. If its plugged in the lights just turn on and off endlessly but it does nothing. I now don't have a single working mouse, but a busted RAT9, busted Func, and a Logitech M705 that won't connect to its receiver. gently caress me, I have the worst goddamn luck.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
What are you doing to these poor mice? What's your mouse pad, by the way?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Big Corsair soft mat, its nice. The Func all had a wire issue, the RAT I killed by dropping it into a cup of coffee, and the Logitech hasn't worked since I bought it and I just haven't emailed them about it yet cause I'm lazy. Now I regret being lazy. The Logitech one just won't connect to the little wireless receiver.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Horizontal Tree posted:

Big Corsair soft mat, its nice. The Func all had a wire issue, the RAT I killed by dropping it into a cup of coffee, and the Logitech hasn't worked since I bought it and I just haven't emailed them about it yet cause I'm lazy. Now I regret being lazy. The Logitech one just won't connect to the little wireless receiver.

I'm just imagining you dunking the mouse repeatedly into a coffee cup by the cord like a giant tea bag.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm not sure I've ever picked a mouse up high enough to be able to drop it into a cup.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I for one, have never attempted to drown a RAT before. I prefer to whack them instead, and maintain one of my great Aunt's old hockey sticks for this purpose. It's all stained at one end now :3:.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Speaking of RAT's...are they any good? I'm upgrading to a mechanical keyboard and I think I might do my mouse at the same time.

At the moment I'm kind of tossing up between the Saitek Mad Catz 9 or a Thermaltake Level 10M.

I've had Logitechs for the last 10 years or so and want to branch out. Am I crazy? Are these just gimmicky pieces of poo poo or are they worthwhile?

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 5, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm guessing this is just the mouse thread because there doesn't look like theres any others, so I'm gonna ask in here. I'm looking to buy a good mouse to mostly play games with, wired, doesn't have to have a million buttons but that's cool too, and under $100. I've heard the Logitech G(???) series is good but I don't know what iteration is preferred and which are garbage so I'm looking for some advice.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm guessing this is just the mouse thread because there doesn't look like theres any others, so I'm gonna ask in here. I'm looking to buy a good mouse to mostly play games with, wired, doesn't have to have a million buttons but that's cool too, and under $100. I've heard the Logitech G(???) series is good but I don't know what iteration is preferred and which are garbage so I'm looking for some advice.

Well if you can wait, the G700S goes on sale for $75 sometimes, it was $50 on Black Friday. It's wireless, but also can run wired, so you can just pretend it's only wired, it has a couple extra buttons, none of which you really need to use, and it's a fantastic mouse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BrassRoots posted:

Speaking of RAT's...are they any good? I'm upgrading to a mechanical keyboard and I think I might do my mouse at the same time.

At the moment I'm kind of tossing up between the Saitek Mad Catz 9 or a Thermaltake Level 10M.

I've had Logitechs for the last 10 years or so and want to branch out. Am I crazy? Are these just gimmicky pieces of poo poo or are they worthwhile?

Kinda crappy build quality and reliability from what I've heard.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
To everyone curious: my RAT wound up in a cup of coffee cause I was holding the mug, bent over to pick something up that I had knocked over, and bumped the mouse... which slid right off my desk, into the coffee, making a mess. I was proud of myself.

BrassRoots posted:

The RAT really isn't anything special, but its by no means bad. I enjoyed mine but I would not buy another. Doesn't help that prices have gone up on them, I got my 9 for $90 otherwise I would have gotten a Logitech G700 (which I kinda should have but oh well!)

Bob NewSCART posted:

They're all good, really. Pick the one that looks appealing and has the features you like.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I have a g700 which works nicely. There is always the option of somehow finding a mx518 (the greatest mouse ever made)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Byolante posted:

I have a g700 which works nicely. There is always the option of somehow finding a mx518 (the greatest mouse ever made)
The G400s is the current version of the MX518. Why not recommend that?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I'm really glad that Logitech continues to make the MX510/MX518/G400/G400S. I just wish they'd do the same for the G5 SE (the one with two thumb buttons), which is the actual greatest mouse ever made. I like the G500 fine (use 2 of them on a daily basis), but the button layout of the G5 is better.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I've seen the Razer Deathadder recommended a lot and the price seems pretty nice. I've already been using a razer kb+m and while they haven't been pant shittingly amazing, they've been pretty decent for going on 5 years now which is pretty good considering they've been used pretty heavily. Anyone got any feedback on it?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Only that while your older Razer products may have lasted well, you should know that their quality has gone down a lot in recent years.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've seen the Razer Deathadder recommended a lot and the price seems pretty nice. I've already been using a razer kb+m and while they haven't been pant shittingly amazing, they've been pretty decent for going on 5 years now which is pretty good considering they've been used pretty heavily. Anyone got any feedback on it?

I've had the Deathadder 2013 for about a month. It feels good in the hand, it tracks well, Synapse 2.0 (drivers) are fine for me. The mouse wheel rattles which is annoying but not enough to not recommend the mouse. This is my first Razer product so I can't comment on longevity but personally I've never had a mouse fail for me, from any manufacturer.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Probably the best way to figure out if a mouse works for you is to demo it. They're like shoes, they can advertise all the sculpted comfort grips, hypercomforting cushion-forms or double human lifetime lifespan all they want, but if they feel horrible in use, what's the point. I have an LS1 from logitech that is just a bit smaller than my usual Logitech G1 and it's way too tiny for me. I also have a Steelseries Kinzu v2 that is beautiful orange, and it overall works great, but I don't use it as often as I used to because I found it skips sometimes on my drawing tablet (which doubles as my mousepad).

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Thought I'd let you folks know there is a nice deal going for the DeathAdder 2013. http://goo.gl/Pz7FuD Came to $36.99 shipped. $5 of $35 promo here: http://goo.gl/g3Tx2t

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My MX Revolution is finally doing the blinky red charge indicator thing, and no amount of cleaning the charge contacts is fixing it, so it looks like it's finally about to kick it. It'd be nice if I could buy a replacement, but they're out of production. Is there a KB/M combo pack similar to the Revolution in quality and comfort, or was that a perfect storm of keyboard/mouse quality? I still have the Revolution keyboard and would love to get a new one of those too since some of the keys are worn away/don't click properly anymore even after cleaning, but a combo pack is like 400+ dollars now.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Horizontal Tree posted:

Only that while your older Razer products may have lasted well, you should know that their quality has gone down a lot in recent years.

I have the new Mamba, blue keyed black widow ulti (2012?) tiamat 7.1 and they all work fine, the nostromo is a piece of crap tho. However, that is really just a re-branded belkin pad

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Not saying you're bound to have issues, but people seem to have more issues with the newer stuff. It kinda sucks, cause that and the overpricing means I will never buy that newer version of the Nostromo they make, though its exactly what I had wanted when I discovered the Nostromo. A few more keys and mechanical switches, but over $100 for it is ridiculous.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I'm on my second Razer Naga in 4 years where the left click is starting to fail. I love the thumb keys on the Naga, and I just noticed the Logitech G600. Anyone had any experience with that model?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Rage posted:

I'm on my second Razer Naga in 4 years where the left click is starting to fail. I love the thumb keys on the Naga, and I just noticed the Logitech G600. Anyone had any experience with that model?

I have both; the G600 is way chunkier and heavier, side buttons are easier to figure out blind, but the lower set may be harder to access. The solid, meaty feel isn't bad, but if you claw gripped the Naga, the G600 is not the mouse for you. I also really miss the ability to hold down a button and use the scroll wheel to set your sensitivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Should I buy a g500s over a g400s? The money isn't really that big of a deal.