Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you did not grab the G502 Special Edition at $35 last week, it, along with a great number of other Logitech products, are currently marked down even more. Said G502 SE is now going for $29.50.
Just grabbed this for $35, thanks for the heads up. Was going to eventually switch to a SteelSeries Rival 600 (from an earlier Rival model) but for that low price, great reviews, and similar mouse shape, I'm willing to try out Logitech.

And if I hate it, it can always be used as a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Audax posted:

If you like keeping a second mouse plugged in because the scroll wheel on your zowie sucks poo poo and you use your computer for browsing then yeah go zowie
This is a problem with the Rivals too. SteelSeries is great otherwise but the mousewheels crap out after a year and it sucks.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Just grabbed this for $35, thanks for the heads up. Was going to eventually switch to a SteelSeries Rival 600 (from an earlier Rival model) but for that low price, great reviews, and similar mouse shape, I'm willing to try out Logitech.

And if I hate it, it can always be used as a backup.
TRIP REPORT: I hate it. Main mouse buttons are too trigger-happy, extra buttons are in weird unnatural spots and shaped angular/uncomfortable to click and the absolute worst problem is that mousewheel is the clunkiest I've ever used and extremely uncomfortable to scroll to the point that you want to actively avoid it. It's like scraping your finger against a ridged metal tire.

EDIT: Just ordered another Rival 310, I can't stand this thing. Had a bad feeling about the LG Hero but at least their trackball/lightweight wireless keyboard is great for my casual HTPC setup.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 5, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The steelseries 300 and Razer Viper Mini are also low weight and cheaper than final mouse.
Using the SteelSeries Rival 310 after hating that Logitech Hero and it's absolutely wonderful and the best mouse I've ever owned. Have had 2 SS 300's and while they're also great, the mousewheel craps out after a year. Hoping they fixed the design issues with the 310 and they're nearly identical shapewise (310 is actually a bit better).

Buy an SS Rival 310.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 11, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

If you get a SS Rival 310, I highly recommend putting the money up for a paracord. It takes no skill to install and it will greatly improve the experience. Also replacing the feet from Tiger ESports does wonders too. I really hope that Steelseries does this with the next version of the Rival and Sensei.
Gonna skip the cord replacement but it could glide better....is it these?

https://www.itaktech.com/collections/rival-310/products/tiger-gaming-steelseries-rival-310-mouse-feet-rounded

There's a different one from "Hotline Games" on the same page so I want to make sure it's the correct product.

EDIT: Just ordered a pack, thanks for the tip!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 12, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I haven't really been keeping track of this segment at all for a long time, but what are the current consensus best large mice? I hurt my hand doing something else and right now fingertipping is kinda painful. I'm looking for something with a fat rear end that will help hold up the back of my hand.
The best mouse I've ever owned: https://www.ebay.com/c/1125525488

Lookit dat rear end:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You, my friend, are of a dying breed. May as well get used to having forward/back in a web browser under your thumb.

You also might as well get one of the new Intellimouse Nostalgia Edition mice.

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2018/06/26/a-legend-reborn-microsoft-brings-back-the-iconic-mouse-the-classic-intellimouse/

Or the even newer "Pro" edition, though what "pro" gets you is not my wheelhouse, I was always in the Logitech camp. But this should help:

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2019/05/28/announcing-the-microsoft-pro-intellimouse/
These legit look really nice actually.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The full size Huntsman is the only non-Corsair full keyboard I've seen that has a proper volume control, and that is something that I will not live without. The price is ouch though, I don't think I could justify it even if I was in the market for a new keyboard.

The fact that optical switches are so hard to gently caress up is the thing that made me buy a Viper Ultimate, everything is so unreliable now that I may as well give Razer a shot at this point. Short term everything about it is excellent, but we'll see how it holds up long term.
I use this and I highly recommend it:
https://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Last gen razer blackwidow elite from 2018 also has a nice dial that is press to mute. I really like the wrist rest it comes with and its on discount if you look around. Woot.com was selling them for close to $100 very recently

If i wasnt addicted to RGB I would go with the das keyboard simply for the longevity that comes from being able to repair it.
I just checked the site to see what new poo poo they were up to and they must be reading your mind:
https://www.daskeyboard.com/x/x50q-rgb-mechanical-keyboard/

Currently $70 off ($129) but the difference are Gamma Zulu switches (which I have no experience with) instead of Cherry MX's. There's also the 4Q for $199 which looks the same as my 4 Pro but it's backlit (which admittedly would be really nice).

EDIT: And there's a 5Q hidden on the site for $249 and the only difference noted on their model comparison page is <1ms response time vs <20ms response time of other models: https://www.daskeyboard.com/p/5q-cloud-connected-rgb-mechanical-keyboard/

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 11, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Rollie Fingers posted:

I like the form and ergonomics of the Steelseries Rival 310, but the build quality is complete trash.

It's been under a year since I bought it and the middle button doesn't know whether it wants to scroll up or down, and the silicon pads at the sides are coming off even though I've replaced them once already. I miss the sturdiness of my MX518, but the 310 is better ergonomically.

Is there a mouse that's similar to the 310 in design, but much better in build quality? I don't mind paying a bit extra.
I love my 310 and the next mouse I'll probably try is the Intellimouse Pro from MS. Take the plunge and let us know!

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Pro-Intellimouse-Dark-Shadow/dp/B07RPBXBMV

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

logis posted:

Has anyone tried this mouse out? I still have my Intellimouse 1.1 from ~18 years ago that are now suffering from typically double-clicking when I intend to single-click. I don't know how to fix the double-clicking problem, as it is probably a mechanical problem(?) I had bought 2 or 3 of them for like <30$ total back around 2000/2001; I think that I got my money's worth for sure.

So, I would like to get something similar: large mouse, side buttons, hopefully long life. I am not sure what to get; the Pro Intellimouse seems reasonable. Any other suggestions? I would prefer to try the mouse out in person before buying (especially with regards to size/grip), but it is looking like I will just have to buy it and find out.
I'm taking my own advice and just ordered one. I have larger hands and while the Rival 310 is comfortable enough, it's not the perfect size. Hopefully the Intellimouse Pro is exactly what I'm looking for. Will give a trip report in a couple weeks or whenever I pick it up.

SalTheBard posted:

Oh God yes. I hate that.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflex-Lab-Extended-Stitched-Waterproof/dp/B00WY1BDZE

This is the best mouse pad I've ever owned.
Also taking your advice! While 32" would be perfect straight on for my main, the 36" width is long enough where I can angle it to include my work laptop's mouse too (which has terrible tracking problems on the bare desk forcing me to unplug/replug constantly). Thanks!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I hope you like it! I've never had a 5mm thick mousepad and it's so loving comfortable. I wish they made a 48 x 24 pad because I want to cover my entire desk in one.
Have had a couple days with the giant ReflexLab mousepad (along with the new MS Intellimouse Pro):

Reflex Lab XXL: It's great! It fits a lot better on the desk than I thought it would and while it's not quite as thick as my SteelSeries one, the coverage is absolutely worth it for the convenience of being able to track on my left with my work mouse. It's a bit slower than my previous ones too but I'll get used to it.

MS Intellimouse Pro: Well, I've finally found the perfect mouse. After coming from SS Rivals, the build quality on the MSIP is leagues better and the larger/heightened shape fits my hand perfectly. Strongly recommend if you have larger hands and are looking for an alternative to the Rival.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

What trackball do you recommend?
This one works great for my HTPC, you can basically hold it in your hand like a remote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043T7FXE/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Have had a couple days with the giant ReflexLab mousepad (along with the new MS Intellimouse Pro):

Reflex Lab XXL: It's great! It fits a lot better on the desk than I thought it would and while it's not quite as thick as my SteelSeries one, the coverage is absolutely worth it for the convenience of being able to track on my left with my work mouse. It's a bit slower than my previous ones too but I'll get used to it.

MS Intellimouse Pro: Well, I've finally found the perfect mouse. After coming from SS Rivals, the build quality on the MSIP is leagues better and the larger/heightened shape fits my hand perfectly. Strongly recommend if you have larger hands and are looking for an alternative to the Rival.
Just wanted to update the thread after a few months with the new MS Intellimouse Pro:

It's still the perfect mouse.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a recommendations for an all-rounder with 2-4 thumb buttons and software that isn't poo poo?

I've been using a Deathadder for many years now because it feels nice to use without an overload of features, but the wheel click is prone to failure and they get unreliable after 1-2 years. My most recent purchase just started glitching on middle clicks so it's time to replace and it seems like I should see what else is out there. In a first, the right button has started spazzing out too. I guess I ADS too hard.

I like the look of the logitech G604 or MX518 but half the reviews are raging about the software (which surprises me, I thought it was a settled issue that the razer software was the worst).

I especially like the mouse wheel on the G604.. I do a lot of flicking while I work and having a beefy metal wheel seems nice. But it's getting to that threshold of too many buttons.
The new MS Intellimouse Pro. Same shape as those gaming mice and it's legit comparable performance-wise to a gaming mouse plus quality build-quality. Assuming it never gets discontinued, I'm never buying a different mouse again.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

That looks like a really good option, as it has that little concave shape around the thumb that makes lifting the mouse super fast. How do the side buttons program? The MS page says you have to do it through the Windows control panel, which knowing Microsoft there's going to be a dropdown of 20 predetermined options and that's it. Or does it let you map to any keyboard button?

The G103 ticks some other boxes, like the scroll wheel is big and fat and it has that extra button behind the wheel. But the shape of it seems like it would make pinching annoying. But I'm probably overanalyzing and it's fine.

And the Asus option looks like good hardware with trash software. Such is life.

But thanks for the suggestions, I got plenty to choose from now.
It uses the expanded Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Center control panel (integrated seamlessly after install and doesn't need to be running after once you're done setting it up) and looking at the list right now (using a thumb button as an example), you can assign it to whatever macro you want and also assign program/game-only specific macros. Can dig deeper if you're still not sure: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052294/accessories-how-do-i-reassign-mouse-buttons

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Guess I have some reading to do. I honestly have no idea how mice work.
Turn off the Razer/Logitech software to see if it does/doesn't do it afterwards.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Rollie Fingers posted:

While we're talking about shoddy products, I'll give a mention to Steelseries Rival 310. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it's the shoddiest piece of poo poo I ever wasted money on. It felt cheap, it broke early and easily, it's ugly and it was designed by cretins.

Cheers to the goon who recommended me the new Intellimouse. It's a fantastic mouse - the build quality is great and it feels premium. Definitely the best mouse I've used.
This was me and I also came off the Rival 310. MS Intellimouse Pro still going strong but I have noticed an infrequent bug where it'll just randomly die and require a quick unplug/replug. Guessing it's driver/M&K Center-related. Still love the thing though and zero other issues so far.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Update that might help someone else: fixed the MS Intellimouse Pro randomly turning off issues after unchecking this box on one of the USB Root Hub properties and it's back to it's status as the perfect mouse:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

foonykins posted:

What's the goon consensus on best mouse for large hands with a decent amount of buttons? I do some gaming (most strenuous game these days is Deep Rock Galactic) and a decent bit of audio and video editing. I currently have a hand-me-down g502 from my partner and I've been finding that I subconsciously squeeze the mouse with my pinky to get a decent grip on it, giving me hand pain after a little while. Looking for something on the larger side that I can get a good palm grip on. Wired preferred as I have plenty of desk space to route the cable without it getting in the way.

Simple google search is making me lean toward the Corsair m65 ELITE, but the first few pages of the search are all garbage clickbait sites.

e: I guess what I'm looking for is a wider mouse? something the majority of my hand meat can rest on? The mouse nerds in this thread probably know what I need more than I do.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Femur posted:

My Steelseries Rival 500 is experiencing double click so I think I will get a new one. Is there anything similarly large, maybe even larger, with a generous amount of buttons? Wireless is preferred, but do not care too much about accuracy?

I am using a g502 I had laying around and it is too small.

I also switched from the Rival. Never going back. 1yr since purchase going strong.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is the new microsoft intellimouse anything like the classic one?

Is it worth getting as a replacement?

My old intellimouse finally kicked the bucket and I was using it everyday with my work computer :(

The Joe Man posted:

The Joe Man posted:

I also switched from the Rival. Never going back. 1yr since purchase going strong.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

When I first built my recent PC, I bought a Razer DeathAdder, and it worked great for some time. But unfortunately, I've only had it for about a year and the mouse wheel is busted (I took it apart and you can see that the peg has worn away) and now has trouble detecting my wheel spins (it works like 50% of the time, sometimes it "catches" but most times it just spins freely).

I had good reviews on this mouse as a workhouse wired gaming mouse but now am pretty disappointed. Is this a reasonable expectation? Any good recommendations for other similar wired mouses that are good for gaming and FPS and are more robust?

I wouldn't mind maybe a more oriented "MMO mouse" with extra buttons and functionality (I don't play a ton of MMOs or anything but the extra buttons sound useful) but one that won't be completely terrible at FPS. My preference is a wired mouse as well.
Still working perfectly after 1.5yrs and better comp FPS results than I had with my Rival:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPBXBMV/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Did Microsoft or anyone else ever release a successor or similar mouse to the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse? I need a new one soon but they've been discontinued.

What I need: Nothing fancy. Wireless. Light, not big. Some friction underneath so that it stays in place unless you intentionally move it. Max €50.
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sculpt-Mobile-Mouse-43U-00001/dp/B00C7D0IXW

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Trackballs are great for couch/chair mousing, but I don't know about that form factor. Of course, I can also just palm an M570, it might be more appealing if I couldn't.
Yep, same. Was also going to suggest grabbing an M570 since I'm able to hold it basically like a remote and it's comfortable and perfectly usable. However, I have larger, sexier hands and I can see someone with smaller mitts having an awkward time or it slipping out and breaking on the floor.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I just checked the M570 and would it really be comfortable to hold? I guess I’m having a hard time picturing that.

Also it looks like it’s been discontinued but the price isn’t significant yet.

It does seem like a good alternative!
Can hold it vertically and brace the bottom with your pinky & ring finger:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10M3tlTgVTI

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

After having owned tons of mice (Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech) the new MS Pro Intellimouse is still the best and most comfortable gaming mouse I've ever used hands down and it's still going strong almost 2yrs now with zero issue:

Stop buying cheaply made gamer-themed garbage.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

spider wisdom posted:

sup nerds it's sir clicks a lot

i'm reaching the end of my time with the Steelseries Rival 310. even after a few years with it, i keep inadvertently bopping the scroll wheel. the side rubbers are peeling off. the shape is fine, but my dead Func MS-3 is rolling in its grave considering the good times we had. that stupid lil floor button on the left, meant for the right thumbo? i miss it. it was so dumb.

any recs? within the Steelseries family would be nice just for using the same app with the apex kb. used/discontinued is fine. the only gottabees are

wired
kinda thic for my personal hybrid 80% palm 20% claw 100% noscopes brand (but freal the only competitive twitchy fps i'm playing nowadays is none of them/casual quake champions)
Please, Not Gamery! big dumb logos and razr angles: kindly go nap in a shady spot under a tree in the grass at your leisure (rgb okay though, i do like to party and kiss people)
what else? righty, 1440 @ 1600cpi, maybe a few more buttons on the side(s) in addition to [ < ] [ > ]

whoa do i just need a basic rear end mouse from target now? is that where i am?

The Joe Man posted:

After having owned tons of mice (Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech) the new MS Pro Intellimouse is still the best and most comfortable gaming mouse I've ever used hands down and it's still going strong almost 2yrs now with zero issue:

Stop buying cheaply made gamer-themed garbage.
Still going strong 2yrs later btw.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

theratking posted:

Thanks, the G305 looks good, I'll see if it goes on sale on Black Friday.

I thought about getting something like the K400 but I spend most of the time just browsing with a mouse so moving to a kb+trackpad adds too much overhead. Maybe I could be convinced to just get a wireless trackpad but I would like the option of gaming from time to time.
I use this for the HTPC and can operate/hold it walking around with one hand like a remote, works great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043T7FXE/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

All I want is variable sensitivity, two thumb buttons, and that the buttons don't break after a year or two! Why does this seem to be such a big ask? :/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm. Not a bad idea. Thanks!

I did have in mind having a button on the mouse for toggling sensitivity setting, but now that I think about it I don't really use that all that much...
In the Mouse & Keyboard Center control panel, you can set whichever of the 5 buttons to a sniper/lower sensitivity button if you want (and can set it to be only app-specific as well).

Mine is still going strong with zero issues 3yrs later.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

My Kensington ProFit RMB is dying, so I guess I need a replacement. Is there a reliable 5-button USB mouse that fits a palm grip and doesn't have some kind of stupid software? I split duties between games and my work laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Intellimouse-Pro-White-Shadow/dp/B07T2KBR76/

Glad I bought a few extras of these when I did, the price is skyrocketing.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

For real I've been using this Steelseries mousepad with stitched edges for almost four years now and it's still in great shape without a bit of rolling or slipping
Thirding this recommendation. Have the XL long one and it's still in perfect shape several years later.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

What's the go-to recommended mouse for non-mousepad surfaces? IE: A HTPC where you're using it on a sofa fabric or something.

Either wireless with a little USB adapter or Bluetooth?

Bonus points for a suitable keyboard combo for the same purpose. I have an ancient logitech with a small keyboard w/touch pad which has gotten super janky.
The one-gen behind version of this (M570) works great for an HTPC and if you have largish hands, you can basically hold it vertically like a remote/walk around with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Trackball-Precision-Ergonomic-Bluetooth-dp-B0877DK2FL/dp/B0877DK2FL/?th=1

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So the side mouse buttons on mice that have them seem to be mapped by default in windows to 'back' and 'forward'. Can I remap these buttons or even disable them entirely within windows without using additional first party or third party software?
If you're still using the MS Intellimouse, you can download the Windows Mouse & Keyboard Center which integrates natively into Windows and you can change whatever within there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

What is the largest available wired gaming mouse these days? I bought a HP Omen by steelseries mouse in 2017, and the skin is peeling and scrollwheel has intermittent problems. This is what I have: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/product-specs/hp-omen-mouse-with-steelseries/12733342

It is quite large:
Dimensions (W x D x H)
5.23 x 2.76 x 1.8 in

I'd prefer something at least of an equal size. Any recomendations? Thanks.

https://us.maxgaming.com/us/wired-mouses/pro-intellimouse-shadow-black

Still going 4yrs strong on the original one I purchased. Highly recommend snagging a couple before they're gone forever.