Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have started trying to decide on a new mouse to replace my Sidewinder X8. I've been very happy with my X8 comfort/performance/size wise; but the recharging has become a pain in the arse. All they needed to do was stick a micro USB port on the mouse for the cable to plug into, but instead they used that idiotic magnet system that never works...You need to fiddle around for 5 minutes to get the mouse to recognise that the cable is attached, and then you move the mouse a teeny bit too aggressively and the thing stops charging. I don't know if this is a fault with my mouse, but since Microsoft no longer manufactures the Sidewinder mice I suppose it is a moot point.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a new mouse and I'm kinda over the whole wireless thing, so I doubt I'd get another wireless mouse. I'm also not interested in getting a Logitech mouse. I thought I'd post my current shortlist, and then see what experiences you guys have had with them, and also see if you had anything to add to my shortlist.

So, I've been considering:

R.A.T. 7 (I'm annoyed a revised edition is out, but only in white - it sucks to buy an older version, but a white mouse would look awful together with all my other black gear)

Corsair M60 - reviews have been mixed, but I love corsair products.

SteeSeries Sensei: Everyone raves about this mouse, but the body doesn't seem sculpted enough for optimum comfort. My biggest concern is the slippery, shiny plastic surface, and the lack of on the fly DPS switching, though this isn't a dealbreaker, I only switch to lower dps when I'm playing an old game in DOSbox.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0: this is almost a comedy option, I don't expect it to be a serious contender based on its low price tag, but Microsoft lists it as a gaming mouse, and the surface finish/build quality looks nice. Might get one for my laptop.

So I'd appreciate peoples' opinions. It's a pity they don't make more mice with a soft touch rubberised surface, that is my preferred material, unless someone goes and makes a mouse with a leather coating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

hohoh0 posted:

While it isn't your mouse, the equally old Microsoft WMO (Wheel Mouse Optical), despite its old age, is still heavily used by QuakeLivers. A lot of them still swear by it.

the explorer 3.0 is a new explorer mouse from the past couple of years.

I'd need decent dpi from my mouse...I keep acceleration off, and I generally use 2000dpi on my 1920x1200 screen, but I'll be moving up to 2560x1600 soon so I'd probably need to bump up the dpi.

I'm leaning towards the R.A.T. but mouse choice is such an important decision that I'm agonising over it...most gaming grade mice aren't sold in department style stores where I can test them out easily, and the RAT I'd have to order from amazon, it is twice the price here in Australia.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Any particular reason you're not considering Logitech mice?

I used a G9x before my sidewinder, I wasn't hugely impressed, and it didn't last as long as it should have. Logitech gear strikes me as the cheap and cheerful kind. None of their current mice grab me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dogen posted:

Never used a G9x, but all my logitech gear has been retired before breaking. Can't help with none of their mice grabbing you, though.

The G9x is pretty much the best mouse Logitech makes. It was decent, but when I upgraded from my G9x to my sidewinder, it felt like a significant step up in every respect.

When I retired my G9x, after around 2 years of use, the surface of the wide grip had begun to peel. I didn't like the smaller grip, although my friend did, and so I gave my G9x to him.

My sidewinder has never shown any signs of wear and tear on the surface, but as I mentioned earlier I'm sick and tired of the lacklustre charging cable attachment. Going back to a G9x would be a step down, so therefore I need to find a non Logitech mouse which would be a step up.

I suppose I could be convinced to get a wireless mouse with a recharging system again if it had a proper mini USB slot instead of the sidewinder's lovely magnetic clip; and also if it had a proven track record of being a high quality wireless mouse with no latency.

Unfortunately very few wireless mice meet all the necessary criteria - gaming features, recharge system, etc. The Logitech M950 has a great shape, and a great surface finish, but lacks gaming functionality like selectable DPI; and I've heard bad things about the build quality of razer mice, so I'm left with choosing a wired mouse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

The G700 actually fulfills every single one of your criteria.

Thought about that, I don't like the position of those buttons crowding the left mouse button.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gristley Bear posted:

In a previous post you said you liked a rubberized finish on your mouse. I noticed you also didn't mention the Razer Deathadder. Is there a specific reason for this? The current version has 3500 dpi and a rubberized shell. It also has no angle snapping.

Edit: I just went back and read that you heard razer mice aren't durable but I think that was before this current generation of mice. I've had a Deathadder since late 2009 and it still works perfectly. If that whole on-the-fly dpi switching is really important to you I'm not sure how you'll feel about the DA though, as you'd have to turn it over to hit the "on-the-fly" which I find quite counter-intuitive. However, it does fit every other criteria you have.

I will look into the Deathadder. A switch on the underside is adequate, I don't change DPI within a single game, only moving from a modern game to an older game that doesn't support modern higher resolutions.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kaludan posted:

voting against the Deathadder and Logitech G9x.

Deathadder wore down after use. I have big hands so I always push to click on the top edge of the mouse. The soft plastic top slowly bent so that even if I push down all the way on the left button nothing happens. I have to exert pressure near the bottom of where the soft plastic top separates between left and right click to use the left click.

Considering the cost of the mouse I was pretty not happy about it.

The Logitech G9x was an amazing mouse until the free scroll "feature" on the mouse wheel became a permanent fixture. Now I can't use the mousewheel to middle click when browsing nor change weapons reliably in FPS games. The texture that kept the wheel from spinning freely forever wore down after about 6 months. Yes I'm using the correct drivers and yes I attempted to reset the "feature" using the button on the bottom of the mouse.

My best mouse is still my 8+ year old Logitech MX-310. The slate plastic has worn down to white plastic beneath under the many virtual bullets fired.

Has anyone had much experience with the M$ Sidewinder series? A site I order surplus supplies has the X5 and the X3 for sale for $35 and $23 respectively.

I need a replacement for the G9x as it's infuriating to use in shooters. Weapons will randomly swap for me because of the freespin.

This confirms my suspicion about razer and Logitech mice. I started out on a G9 and the surface started to peel away on the grip after a year of admittedly WoW grade use.

I currently use a sidewinder x8, the mouse itself is great but the recharge mechanism is very touchy, and I'm sick of recharging it every week. I also believe Microsoft has discontinued its sidewinder line.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kaludan posted:

The site I'm ordering from sells overstock stuff.

Geeks.com

If your only issue with that is the charging, then I have no problem. I prefer wired mice. I'm superstitious.

Gonna order that X5.

I believe the X5 had a slightly different shape/different specs compared to the X8 beyond just the wired/wireless. I seem to remember the reviews at the time the X8 came out commenting how much better the X8 was.

I really like the new corsair mice, but I'm concerned they might be a tad on the small side. as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm tossing up what my next mouse will be, but the corsair mice and the R.A.T 7 are on my shortlist.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Budget Sensei is now released!

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-raw

So basically they took away customisable led colours (big whoop), and removed the onboard LCD and CPU (pointless if you keep the mouse plugged into the one PC).

In exchange, you get a vastly superior rubberised surface, and a lower price. Sounds like an improvement to me.

Still no on the fly dips switching though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I wish a company would make a mouse with leather grips, like you see on steering wheels and gearsticks. I would kill to own a mouse like that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Has anyone tried the steel series Diablo 3 mouse? The details available are a little hazy on exactly which mouse it is based on, or whether it is a new design of its own. The soft touch surface looks great and if it turns out to simply be a rebranded sensei with a nicer surface it may well be the perfect mouse, that metallic surface is the main thing keeping me from a sensei.

Also, does the sensei have mouse smoothing like other steelseries mice have had?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WanderingKid posted:

From the specs it looks like a Sensei Raw with an onboard profile. The metallic surface on the Sensei is not metal. Its satin finish on metallic paint on plastic. It feels pretty good but its the most unbelievable grime magnet I've ever seen. The upside is that wiping it down is quick and effortless.

Sensei has loads of smoothing, predictive options in the steelseries engine software but you can turn them all off if you want to. Xai had all of the same options except adjustable lift off distance. Some people claim that the mouse has some type of acceleration even if you disable all of the smoothing/prediction options but its not something I ever noticed. Then again, I don't get sponsored to click on fast moving pixel sized objects for tournament money so shrugs. Maybe its noticeable if you do stuff like that?

The whole grime magnet thing is what was turning me off the sensei. I'd buy the raw with the soft touch surface, but they seem to be hard to come by, whereas the diablo 3 mouse is everywhere.

I'm still concerned that the mouse is going to be too small, and too low, but my other finalist mice - both corsair mice and the RAT7 have their own issues

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Rat 7 trip report: heavy, needs a Teflon foot nearer the back so you don't tilt it, buggy on my 10.7 mac.

Also the shape isn't great for my giant bear hands.

Since you have a rat and all, have you tried adjusting the shape?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The rat was on my shortlist for my new mouse, but after reading this thread I've taken it off.

That just leaves rubber grip sensei and corsair mice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Holy poo poo I have that MX518. That price is absurd.

I ordered the M90, I'll update this weekend and let you know how it works out. I figure worst case scenario, Amazon's return policies are generous.

I'm keen to see how you find the M90, It's on my shortlist for my new mouse

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

CaptainMidnight posted:

Just get a $20 wired mouse. No reason to spend $100 on a mouse.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that my mouse spends more time in contact with my hand than any other single object. Its worth splurging on quality.

I finally just caved in when I saw a steel series Diablo 3 mouse in a store. I'll post again after I've taken it home and used it for a bit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gristley Bear posted:

Also if you play games where quick movements of the mouse are required, cheaper mice usually lose tracking at quite a low speed. Gets really annoying especially if you play with a low sensitivity.

I don't have this problem at least. With a resolution of 2560x1440, anything less than 2000dpi is intolerable, and I prefer closer to 3000, Which also eliminates most cheap, optical mice.

Initial report on my Steelseries Diablo 3 Mouse:

It seems to be a reskinned Xai rather than a reskinned Sensai as I'd initially thought - there are very few customisable options in the software. The feel of the coating is good, the button presses are nicely clicky, and the scrollwheel is excellent - really firm, well defined notches in the scroll action. The shape is simple but nice, and the feet are as slippery as everyone has been raving about

BUT

The software appears to be a tad buggy, and my mouse has a really annoying issue where it often fails to register a left click, usually when you don't click right at the front of the button. I'm not sure if this is some kind of driver/software issue, a fault in my particular mouse, or a design flaw, but If I can't resolve it the mouse will be going back to the store.

I'd also like to note that the mouse is rather on the light side.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My Sidewinder X8 could go a couple of weeks between charges (with DPI at 2000 and several hours a day of intensive use) provided I purchased really good quality rechargeable batteries and replaced them 2 or 3 times a year. So not all wireless gaming mice have poo poo battery life, and the sidewinder, as well as any number of other wireless gaming mice are designed in such a way that you can just plug in a cable and keep on using the mouse.

Unfortunately you are out of luck with the sidewinder, as Microsoft doesn't make them anymore, but I'm sure there are other mice you could try.

I ended up taking my steelseries diablo 3 mouse back to the shop, as it doesn't seem to register clicks properly, and I caved in and bought myself a razer deathadder 3.5g.

I have to say after my initial reluctance to buy razer products the quality seems excellent and I really like the feel of the mouse. I got myself a new steelseries QCK mousing surface to use it on as well. I finally found a mouse with a long enough cable - the 1.8m that seems to be standard on most mice just doesn't cut it in my setup.

Only slight annoyance is the way DPI switching works, but I set up the side buttons for that so all is good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

Ok I was going to post this in the hardware thread but after looking it through I figured here would be better. Does anyone know how to get a PS3 controller working with Windows 7? I've found numerous guides online but most of them are outdated or require me to download drivers from websites I've never even heard of and turn off driver signature enforcement. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

This is isn't exactly what you want, but Logitech make a few models of game pad that are very very similar to a PlayStation controller, but designed for windows.

Xbox style controllers are of course a dime a dozen for windows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Always have to recommend the Xbox 360 controller. Every modern game has a built in profile to work with it without any configuration. It transforms PC gaming, in my opinion. It's so necessary that I'm surprised that gaming PCs don't flat out ship with it as a matter of course.

Personally I prefer Playstation style layout. A gamepad is by no means necessary to PC gaming. I have no objection to PC games being made for use with a controller (just like I have no problem with a game being made to use a joystick, or steering wheel) as long as the game benefits from being built around a controller - any kind of 2d platformer for eg, or a third person action game that requires stringing together combos of button presses in real time.

What I hate with a passion is any game that should never have had to be played with a gamepad, that has been designed around a substandard gamepad experience to suit the limitations of consoles - ie - any first person game ever, most RPGs, etc.

This - combined with games still featuring visuals years out of date because they need to scale to the hardware limitations of consoles - is the real crux of the consolised PC games debate, not Rarr! every PC game needs to be buit around a mouse and keyboard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MeruFM posted:

Got a R.A.T. 7.
Defective. Mouse occasionally slows down. The software is also complete garbage, you can't even turn off the lights on the drat thing.

Shipped back to Amazon after playing a couple hours of Starcraft2 1v1. The defectiveness is very apparent when you're throwing down storms or emps in a line or doing rapid selection of your workers when in the beginning and it suddenly bugs out.

I'm glad I chose not to get one then. It was at the top of my shortlist before I started reading this thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

boingthump posted:

I'm a left handed mouse user. I've been using a Logitech G3 for years now. It's on it's last legs.

I've been looking for a good replacement. Side buttons are very important to me. I tried the razer lachesis but found that it felt awkward in my hand. I also disliked their "recessed" side buttons. The g3's buttons stick out a ton more.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an ambidextrous mouse with raised side buttons? One on the left one on the right at a minimum. Two on each side would be ideal.

Steelseries sensei is a good mouse, though personally I found that the buttons were too 'light' and so I kept clicking them accidently.

Razer also makes a left handed deathadder I believe - I currently enjoy the right handed version.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

How is Corsair in the Mouse business?

The scroll wheel broke on my Logitech (this is the one time free replacement they send if you don't have a receipt so no free mouse for me)

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...ywords=logitech

Its looks so cool but I was burned so bad on that piece of poo poo r.a.t.7.

I believe they poached a number of Logitech designers.

I've never personally used a corsair mouse, but an Australian PC magazine for enthusiasts recently did a big group test of gaming mice and declared that the corsair fps mouse was pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. The MMO version also got like 98%.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

This Corsair mouse really sucks dick, I mean middle click is not even default configured to open new windows.

The left and right mouse buttons feel mushy in comparison to a G500.

Its back is not high enough for my preference but that could be a matter of getting used to but it kinda hurts my hand.

The middle button feels like a hammer when you put enough pressure to click it and the sniper thumb button is too far forward to ever be used.

I still cant get new tabs to open with this so I think that's an immediate deal breaker.

This thing is relegated to my server while I wait for a new G500.

Full disclosure:

I loving love Corsair, I have their computer case, AX gold PSU, Ram, SSD, and Liquid cooling in the computer I am typing this on.

This mouse just sucks.

That's a shame. I also love corsair and was prepared to assume anything they made would be awesome unless proven otherwise. Ah well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rolleyes posted:

My current mouse has broken and I'm looking for something to replace it with. The broken one is (bear with me here) a Razer Copperhead which looks like this:

What I like about it:
- It's low and small (I have small hands)
- It's light
- Laser optics so it works on drat near any surface

What I dislike / couldn't care less about :
- Dumb lights
- Omfg xtreeeeeme driver settings etc (I don't game on my PC)
- Side buttons

In short I bought it for ergonomic reasons rather than to enhance me l337 gaming prowess. Is there anything else which fits my "likes" list without some or all of the stuff on the "dislike" list?

edit:
Fixed table breaking image.

When it comes to well made, comfortable non gaming mice I think you can't go past Microsoft gear, as long as you stay away from their touch garbage

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rolleyes posted:

This looks interesting but unfortunately doesn't use a laser sensor so probably won't work for me. I don't use a mouse mat (find them too restrictive) and my desk is polished wood so standard optical mice tend to hate it.

I must admit I'd subconsciously written off Microsoft without bothering to take a look. I know they have a reputation for quality input peripherals but in my experience their mice have tended towards the chunky/heavy side - I will take another look though.

I think one of the problems I'm likely to have is that a mouse with a laser sensor generally seems to be considered for "gaming" rather than for "working on a desk not made out cheap veneer".

Anything with Microsoft's blutrack technology will work just as well as a laser. That being said, I couldn't imagine not using a high quality mousing surface; its well worth the 30 dollars

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Microsoft's Sidewinder mice have that.

And having used the sidewinder x8 I can say it was an excellent mouse.

Unfortunately Microsoft has stopped making them, so you might have trouble finding a new one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

spootime posted:

Does anyone know if the steelseries sensei is a good mouse/ worth the price? I tried it at MLG and it felt really nice but I think I'm just trying to find reasons to justify an impulse buy oh god please help me.

A lot of people rave about it, personally I found it a little too flat and symmetrical, which made it harder to get a good grip on it. (Palm style). Also the side buttons were very light weight and would activate practically just from staring at them too hard. I lost track of how many times I was surfing the net and hit the 'back' side button by mistake. I only had it for a couple of days though since it had a defective left click button and I took it back to the store and swapped it for a deathadder.

If you do get one though get the raw, it cuts out useless bling and gives you a nicer rubberised surface.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I've got a Microsoft Sidewinder X5 that I've had for three years now. The scroll wheel has melted; it's soft, it's deteriorating, and there's residue whenever I scroll it. It's really sticky too when I use it. Should I spring for a new mouse, or is there any fix?

The fix is quite simple. All you need is a rubbish bin, some cash, and a nearby store that sells mice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I asked the same question above, and bought a Razer Deathadder (because it was cheap). While it is bigger than my old mouse, which was a Copperhead, it's still not really big enough. For reference, my hands are 27cm from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my wrist, and 11cm across.

With reference to my recent purchase, I have a weird problem where neither Razer Synapse or the older Deathadder drivers will recognise the fact that I have a Razer mouse plugged in. This leads to the mouse glowing all the goddamn time, even when the computer is off. Anyone else dealt successfully with this?

There's a setting in the razer control panel to turn off glowing

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 23, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

What you should do is send an email to Logitech and get a new mouse shipped to you for free. The reason for its reputation is not because each of its mice lasts forever (some do, most don't), it's because they replace them so easily and quickly that after you buy one you will have a mouse of the model you purchase until the warranty expires (and usually a 50% discount after it does), unlike most other hardware companies where replacing a failing product is such a pain you'd rather buy a new one.

I've never understood this attitude. If I buy a product that ends up failing unreasonably early, or is in someway defective, the last thing I'd be prepared to do is waste time contacting the manufacturer and waiting for them to decide to send me another one. I'm going to take it back to the store I bought it from, get a refund, purchase a replacement and be back home within the hour. A mouse is not something you can live without for days at a time, it is a basic household necessity.

When a company makes products that are known for failing often, you don't say, oh what a good company, see how hassle free it is to get a replacement. You say, this company makes poo poo products and I'm not making the mistake of buying them again. When something breaks, the hassle has already happened, and companies shouldn't be rewarded for making poo poo products.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Argas posted:

I've never heard of Logitech being a company that churns out lovely or defective products but has stellar customer support to compensate.

It's perfectly natural to feel like taking your chances with another company's offering after your experience with one company is lacking. Whether or not that's representative of the big picture is another. There's a lot of horror stories of people's Logitech mice having problems because of the cord or the occasional glitchy button. There's also many happy customers because Logitech gave them a free mouse or a discount to replace an old one that's out of warranty.

If you need a replacement now, going to the store is almost always the best idea, assuming they have a decent policy for that. I have some mice for backup in the short term and I know that Logitech responds to support questions fast and ships fast too. Razer's quality is wildly inconsistent, but I've heard nothing good or bad about their support.

I just don't understand why anyone would deal directly with a manufacturer, and the time it involves, rather than the retailer that sold you the product. That being said, I live in Australia where retailers have a legal obligation to provide a refund for a defective product, or one that fails to last a reasonable length of time, but even if I didn't I'd at least try the retailer first.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

No manufacturer makes mice that are going to last 3-5 years of heavy use without breaking, it's just where the industry is at. It's like bemoaning inexpensive particle board furniture from Walmart doesn't last ten years. Nobody wants to spend $250 on a mouse that will last a decade when they could spend ~$50 on a reasonable one from Logitech and get a free replacement when they run it into the ground.

Unfortunately you're raging against a shift in how goods are produced in general. I'm no economics major (but if one wants to chime in that'd be great) but with the rise of businesses like Walmart the production of cheap "disposable" goods has largely overtaken more expensive sturdier alternatives.

I disagree.

My father has only ever received a new mouse with a new computer purchase, and he has purchased 2 computers in 13 years. The first of those mice was ball based as well. While I wouldn't exactly call his usage 'heavy'...daily, but not quite heavy, I spend all most every waking moment at home in front of my computer aside from one mouse that was obviously defective on purchase, my first mouse lasted me two years, and was sold to a friend who has used it in the 3 years since then, my other one lasted me 3 years, and I replaced it simply because I was sick of it.

My general rule is that a computer should be replaced every 3-4 years, and I expect a mouse to last a similar amount of time.

I would have no hesitation in returning a mouse that failed within that period to the store I bought it from for a refund.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

Dang, I come to this thread to see if there is any talk on decent wireless mice, and I see everyone talking about how good their MX518 still is... Geez. I've been using mine for around 6 years!

And it still works great. I guess that's another hard part to thinking of replacing it. (granted the pads on it are completely gone... but I got some of that tape you can put over them and still have it slide around real nice... have still got a foot or so of it left at this point).

The sidewinder x8 was a remarkable wireless mouse but Microsoft decided to stop making it for some idiotic reason. You might still be able to buy one somewhere however.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

I must be one of the few people that don't like the MX518. I've been using one for about 5 years now, but I haven't really been pleased with it, although it's comfortable enough that I haven't felt compelled to switch (also I spent $50 on it at the time and wanted to get my moneys worth); however, I find the thumb buttons are awkwardly placed because I don't usually rest my thumb there and have to think about clicking them instead of on reflex and the front-thumb one is sometimes hard to reach depending on how my hand is positioned--so I usually never use them.

It's time for a change and to buy myself an Christmas present. My hands are on the smaller side, but not that much so. I really like pinky buttons so a lot of those MX518-esque style mouses don't interest me.

Before I had my MX518, I used to play with an Intellimouse that I liked a lot; but it did have flaws with somewhat flimsy/wobbly-feeling buttons and too light of construction. I don't hold the Intellimouse as the pinnacle of all mice as some people do, yet something similar would be optimal.

I've been looking at the Razer Deathadder, but I heard they have quality problems and there are a few things about that look a bit uncomfortable. A mouse that really interests me is the Roccat Kova[+], but they're a new company and I'm not sure how their mouse fares.

Similarity, the SteelSeries Sensei Raw seems like it would be a great choice, although a little more expensive than the Kova[+]. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

I wish boxed stores carried a wider range of peripherals besides Logitech as it would make shopping for "gaming mice" a lot easier :(

The sensei always felt a bit too flat for me, I have a palm grip and I always felt there wasn't anywhere for my thumb and pinkie to sit. Also the side buttons trigger if you so much as look at them to sternly, which makes the mouse hard to hold.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm more interested in this new razer ouroboros... has anyone used it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

My Razer Habu developed it in less than 6 months. Because :australia: I said gently caress it and just bought another mouse rather than try and send that thing in for warranty.

Why didn't you just take it back for a refund? As long as you have a receipt it's illegal in Australia for a retailer to refuse to provide a refund for a damaged product, or a product that didn't last a reasonable period of time (given expectations for that type of product/price/etc). Warranties are almost meaningless here because we have much stronger protections built into the law.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anyone have any hands on experience with the new razer ourobouros yet?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

Went out and bought a Razer DeathAdder today. Really wanted to get the Naga for the extra buttons but didn't figure it worth $30 extra.

Then I read the reviews and holy jesus do these things seem to fall apart. Story after story of the mousewheel going nuts or getting unintentional double clicks all within the first six months. I've had this old MX 310 for over two years and it still works perfectly despite loads of abuse.

Is Razer really as bad as all that? Am I guaranteed a lovely broken mouse? I really need the extra two buttons for hotkeys in games, but I don't want to flush 40 bucks down the drain.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is whether it's normal for mice to only last 6 months, and under what conditions? Am I just some freak outlier to have had a mouse last two years?

My deathadder has been going strong for 9 months now. I spend most of my spare time in front of my PC, and it survived Diablo 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

MS Comfort Mouse 6000 is the best mouse I have ever used. Light, large enough for my hand, tracks perfectly with the correct acceleration curve. I can't understand why anyone would want one of those Logitech boat anchors.

Don't those comfort mice not have notches in the scroll wheel? I couldn't tolerate that.