Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I can't comment on the G400, but I went from a G5 to an MX518 to a G500 and like the G500 best.

The G400 is optical like the old MX518 which some gamers prefer, but I guess I just got used to the Laser in the G5.

Edit: my room mates computer is sitting next to mine and he has a G700. I don't like it as i think it has too many buttons but it is wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I have a G500 + G15 and have not run into any software issues. My room mate has a G700 and hasn't run into any either.

We're both on Windows 7 x64

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm kind of looking for a new mouse. I've had a 1st generation G5 for a long time and absolutely love it and I was disappointed to see that the newer mice offered by Logitech feel a lot 'cheaper'. My big complaint is in Mouse 4/Mouse 5 buttons. When you hit the side buttons on a G5, there is some real substance to those buttons; they feel rock solid. The newer ones feel like hollow plastic and don't really have the same kind of solid, consistent feedback that the G5 buttons did. I still have yet to find a mouse with the (potential) weight of a G5 and the straight up nice workmanship of a G5 and am just considering upgrading to a 2nd gen G5 (The blue one!) and hoping that the blue one lasts forever.

Are there any modern heavy laser mice out there that have really solid, consistent buttons like my precious G5?

I went from an original G5 (the one with only a single shoulder button) to a later G5 to a G500 and to be honest I don't find the feel of the G500 buttons any worse than the G5s (well the third shoulder button in the middle is but I just don't use it).

Actually my second (blue) G5 was probably the worst of the bunch for button feel (no idea why).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I want something like that, but with full gesture support. The gestures don't have to be the same as on a mac, but things like 2 finger scrolling and so on would be kick rear end.

Basic gestures like two finger scrolling work in Windows, but the driver isn't meant to install outside of bootcamp. Apparently its not too hard to work around that though.

Two finger multitouch is standard on any modern laptop or netbook but I haven't seen a stand alone touchpad for desktops (aside from the Apple one)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

coinstarpatrick posted:

I haven't tried it but I BET the sweet two finger scroll won't work like you want. That is the thing I've never seen replicated in Windows, for some reason notchy scrolling is our cross to bear.

Yeah the best you can do is set it to scroll one line at a time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

sizerp posted:

The DPI buttons seemed to not work but I never bothered to check and see if he'd remapped one/all of them. Good point.

Go into the Pointer section of Setpoint and you should be able to adjust the DPI there.

Setpoint can also override Windows pointer speed and acceleration so check that too (same area as above)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Is there an actual reason I'd want a mousepad? If there is, I'm all ears.

Its not tracking as such, its just the pad provides a more consistent and low friction surface than a typical desk does.

But if you're used to the surface of your desk then a pad may take some getting used to.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I read about 20 pages of this thread, but I need some help from you guys. I'm trying to find a mouse, but I'm kinda picky. I really want a wired mouse, two buttons and 1 scroll wheel, hardware based DPI setting (no custom software please).

Can't you just ignore the side buttons on a G400/G500?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

lol I thought our NZ prices were bad

http://www.logitech.com/en-nz/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5750

dissss fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 18, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

My actual point, though, is how can the offical website have a product for nearly three times the price of local independant parts shops. I just don't understand it at all.

Just be glad you have the option of buying from somewhere independent.

If you want to get really depressed look at the price of a car in Australia compared to the USA, even taking into account taxes and such its still absolutely ridiculous.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

WanderingKid posted:

As long as you don't damage the product or throw away its packaging you should be able to return it and they should be able to resell it as new. You have already essentially put down a deposit for a home trial by paying for it up front.

So you'd be fine paying full price for an expensive 'new' mouse that some goon had been using for a week?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tin-Horn Indian posted:

Then I recently bought a G500 and it was incredibly jittery and felt cheap, though I did like the extra button and the idea of the free spin wheel.

I don't know whats up with your one, but I've had several G5 and a couple of G500s and they only difference you should feel is the side buttons, pointer motion and general build are the same.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Stuntman posted:

How does the G500 compare to the MX518? Now that it's getting mad expensive on Amazon, I'm thinking of just getting the newer model for cheaper when this mouse shits the bed.

The G400 is closer to what the 518 was.

The G500 is a similar shape but has a different type of sensor and scroll wheel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

duckfarts posted:

In between a normal mouse and full touch mouse, you get the Explorer Touch Mouse:

After repeatedly wearing out scroll wheels at work (killed my retired from home G5 and at least three crappy HP mice in six months) I switched over to the Logitech version of that (T400). It works great for big spreadsheets and such but its really awkward for any type of gaming.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

also, if there's a speck of dust anywhere in the vicinity of ten feet of the mouse, the lasermouse will malfunction.
That is completely untrue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I use Logitech mice with laser sensors at both home and work (have done so for many years) and I have never had any such issues.
I have a cat too which likes to sleep on and generally shed around my desk do if it was a universal issue I'd definitely have noticed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mortimer posted:

How are you guys getting dirt all over your mousepads and mouse? Are these outdoor laptop mice or are you just really dirty people?
Dust your rooms, don't use pizza as a desk. :psyduck:

Kinda unavoidable even if you vacuum multiple times a day

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Quite a few people dislike the tilt wheel for gaming which is why I guess Logitech is hedging their bets and giving you choices with and without

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, what do you want if you like the g602 but require a tilt wheel?

Buy one of their other mice

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

isndl posted:

Not entirely true, what you really want is the mouse acceleration fix.

For games that came out pre Windows XP?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The G500s still looks to be widely available and its basically a G500 with a new coat of paint.

As an aside I recently went from a G500 to a G602 and I couldn't be happier - the shape is great, it tracks well even in endurance mode and apparently battery life is excellent for a wireless gaming mouse (I say apparently because I haven't had it long enough to see for myself). As far as I'm concerned it's the perfect mouse.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

Thanks, not interested in the G700s, the recharging on my G7 got old after a while, if I get a wireless mouse I'd rather it just run of AAs.

IIRC The G700s runs on a normal rechargeable AA so you can keep a couple of spares about if you don't want to use the recharging cord.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Luckily the G602 exists which is a far better mouse and will last a couple of months on a pair of standard batteries under heavy use conditions.

Only has a normal wheel though.

Interestingly the G602 seems to work fine with only a single battery installed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm using a G602 at work. No one has even noticed it because while it does have extra buttons its just a grey mouse with no lighting.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

There definitely isn't any type of lag that I can notice on the G602 and battery life is very good (have had the same set of rechargeables in for months now)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm using a G602 and the only thing I'd complain about is the dpi adjust buttons feel cheap and wobbly.

The batteries it came with lasted months, and I haven't had to recharge the Eneloops I replaced them with yet sobo wouldn't worry about that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

You obviously don't use the side buttons that much. The pointed hard plastic pointed edge shape they've gone for with the buttons is horrendous to use and has me looking at a different mouse to buy just due to the amount of discomfort I get after using them for a while.

Actually I do use them a bunch - I could see how some people might not like them but they work fine for me

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bugsy posted:

So what do I do to get my g700 to re-pair with the Logitech unifying software? I've tried turning the mouse on and off 20 times, unplugging the receiver and nothing happens. I have the mouse pointer but it won't move and the buttons don't work. I tried to go to the Logitech support site but it times out on my phone.

Help?

Being gaming mouse it won't be using a unifying receiver - it'll need its own special one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The G602 works well enough that I'd never consider going back to a wired mouse

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Djarum posted:

I have had wireless mice for about a decade now and haven't noticed a problem with them. I know so real early models had some issues but any of the Logitech models I have ever used I couldn't tell between wired or wireless.

The thing is before the G602 you had choice of a wireless gaming mouse with very short battery life, or a wireless non-gaming mouse which did feel different.

The G602 easily lasts me a couple of months in performance mode, and takes normal AAs so I can just swap in a freshly charged set.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ufarn posted:

How's that even possible. Do they use gamerosmium or something.

Most of the weight is in the battery. The G602 is similar if you install both AA batteries (you can use one or two)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The G602 definitely comes with the receiver, but note it's a special one that won't work with other Logitech devices.

It does have DPI buttons but if you install LGS you can bind them to something else (or nothing at all)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hey Logitech dude while you're in the thread I'd like to re-iterate just how much I like the G602 - I'm using one at home and one at work and have bought a couple more as gifts. It's definitely the first wireless gaming mouse that I've considered usable full time - it's comfortable and battery life is excellent even in performance mode.

So great job on that model, more like that please.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Goo posted:

Thanks. Anything specific about it that drives that? Shape, number of buttons, battery life?

It's the combination of shape and battery life.

I do find the two rearmost side buttons are too far back for comfort but the other four are plenty for my usage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Weird how people have issues with different models. I went through four or five MX518s in a very short span back in the day, switched to an original G5 which lasted years and then to a G500 which still works fine to this day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, I think they've mistaken it for a G5. It had the same shape as the MX518, but included a DPI indicator, was short one thumb button, and had a weight tray on the bottom. My old roommate moved to one after his Intellimouse finally crapped out.

[

The G500 had a similar setup but with a smaller number of slots for weights.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Variable_H posted:

My big reason for wanting to go with wired is I didn't want to have to install any drivers on my work PC, since it's pretty locked down by my IT department and I'm not really interested in them getting mad at me for installing Logitech Control Center or whatever they call it now.

That really doesn't have anything to do with wired vs wireless - with a wireless mouse you just plug in the little receiver and it'll work without any extra software.

You won't, of course, be able to customise the buttons and stuff like that but that would equally apply to a wired model too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

I went from a g502 (loved the shape, needed a wireless for my new setup) to a g900 for the past few months. The g900 is a solid mouse, but I've noticed I am still struggling to feel good about the fit of it, to the point of my hand cramping after a few hours of use.. so I went ahead and got a g602 to try. The thing feels awesome, heavier than most people seem to prefer, but if you are also sold on the 502's shape, this is absolutely a good wireless option. It may not have the best sensor on the market, but both the comfort and wireless are way more important for my situation.

Battery life is very good for a gaming wireless too even with rechargeables (which a lot of wireless mice don't like).

BTW it'll work with only one battery installed if you want to cut down on the weight ever so slightly

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

emdash posted:

g602 has a lower report rate, uses 2 AAs which are very heavy, and has a different kind of sensor

The G602 works fine with a single battery installed. Battery life probably suffers but not the the extent it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

No problem with my MX Master and I've been using it for six months at work.