Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wengy posted:

What's a good gaming mouse that doesn't loving squeal? My Logitech G500 has started to emit a horribly annoying high-pitched sound and it appears to be a common problem with this model. I'm pretty happy with it and I've had it for a few years, but if this persists I'll have to replace it with something that, you know, doesn't squeal.

Im also super sensitive to electronic humms and buzzing.
My logitech g pro does not do it. The sensor for their top end wireless mice is supposedly extremely power efficient and this may contribute to the overall quietness.

It also the bar none best gaming mouse i have ever used. My stats went up noticeably from my previous deathadder chroma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wengy posted:

G Pro looks pretty awesome and not as annoyingly gameriffic as the G500, will check it out, thanks

its absolutely not needed and definitely a waste of money but its also compatible with the lightspeed wireless charging mousepad. The g pro already had a super long battery life but its cool having a wireless that never needs charging

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wengy posted:

That looks cool indeed, but I do have a metal desk - won't this cause issues? I've also read that the little door thingy on the bottom of the G-Pro is magnetic, wouldn't it 'stick' to the surface of my desk? This is more complicated than I thought.

as long as the mousepad is on top of the desk there would not be any blocking of the signal from the mousepad to the mouse. The magnet is aligned on a horizontal plane so there should be very little attraction downward.The magnet is also far too weak and deep in the mouse far from the bottom and the mousepad too thick. There are YT reviews where a metal desk is used and no issues are mentioned.

Its just like a wireless phone charging pad but much larger and lower output. Those have no issues with being on a metal desk either. I have been using it underneath my jumbo mousepad and the signal gets through just fine

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 6, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wengy posted:

OK, good to know, thanks guys! never expected to fall into a mouse rabbit hole, and now I'm checking out mechanical keyboards as well... halp

stay away from logitech keyboards if you like to macro. at least on the g pro line their software only lets you remap f keys and dedicated macro keys. Corsair and razer let you remap anything to anything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofecks posted:

Numpads aren't going away are they? I definitely need mine, as I was absent during most of 10th grade typing class during the number lessons, so I'm effectively garbage at touch-typing those. Plus alt-codes, gaming function (autocast in Diablo 3 and DCSS), and quick calculator stuff.

only for fps gamers who need huge mousepad space because they play with low sens. The rest of us still use them all the time. At least so far every top of the line "gaming" keyboard that is tenkeyless also has a full form model. Most people dont need them, they just like to pretend they are an esport athlete who travels with their mouse and keyboard.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qsvui posted:

But those keys aren't on the numpad :confused:

yeah those are the 60% keyboards that attract a whole new level of crazies

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klaaz posted:

I am about to order a LogitechG Pro wireless but it seems to have some doubleclick issues in quite some cases. It's hard to tell if these are just incidental problems or something that is really an issue with this exact mouse. Anyone know anything about this?

Man I was so hyped to waste my christmas bonus on this

that was an early batch issue. It doesnt develop, you have it or you dont. Polls I have seen show 88% of owners reporting no issues. If you poll only people who bought in the last month its even better. RJN did a recent poll on exactly that and it seems to be fine.

Logitech will ship you a new one if you have it. Its otherwise still the best mouse

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 13, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atomizer posted:

It should be fine, it's likely a USB2 connection and the mouse will pull 5 V at whatever current it needs.

even if it charges slowly it should be fine. The mouse pulls so little power compared to past wireless gaming mice

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rabid Snake posted:

The Logitech G Pro Wireless rules. I just wish it was a tad bit bigger for my large hands but I can deal with it.

Going back to my G900 sucks. It feels so heavy now even though the G900 only weighs 107g

I wonder how Finalmouse Ultralight users feel when they are using other mouses

I have both and i went back to my razer deathadder for a day while cleaning the others. Its just terrible. Everything feel noticeably slower and my hand gets tired faster.

Its as bad as going back to 60hz after 144hz

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im very happy to have the average hand size its meant for because I would not want to miss out on the g pro wireless for gaming. Its a noticeable improvement in my stats. Finalmouse ultralight is a close second but its barely too big for my short wide palm

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it's gaming zowie is just about the only universally liked mouse brand without some major problem. Razer and Logitech are both fine. They just sell so much product that the sample size of defective ones seems bigger. If you are going wireless, the g pro is the only lightweight low latency low power draw mouse on the market.

Personally I don't like steelseries based on my personal bad experience with repeated defects on the same device through multiple rmas. Also you can't really find the mouse you like and stick with it over the years because they keep overhauling their design

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GuyonthecoucH posted:

:perfect: Guess I should look for a store that ships to the US or ebay...

try rakuten or amazon.jp

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splinter posted:

I'd have to have 2 different 2.4GHz receivers in close proximity if I keep my current keyboard. Is that likely to cause interference issues?

No, there are different channels in that 2.4ghz spectrum and lightspeed channel hops to find a clear one. Now if you were to go to a lan with 50 people all using wireless mice, yeah probably.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you just want a cheap high performance mouse there are many good options. Even no name mice with a 3360 sensor will perform with the best mice. The 3360 is the same sensor you will find in many high performance mice.
I have used the https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Performance-PixArt-Precision-Applications/dp/B071J9JC6S/ and would recommend it to anyone who just wants high value. It doesnt need any special drivers and the DPI is adjustable with a button on the bottom. You can go even more barebones down to like $20 with no lights or finer dpi level. The cheap stuff will feel cheap but the performance is the same.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I have to rave about Logitech's tech support. I went through a wack of troubleshooting with my g403 due to double clicking and it turned out to be a firmware issue. But the guy on the phone had another one sent incase it happened again. Soo much better than dealing with Steelseries' bullshit.

personally I liked steelseries customer service. They didnt argue and I got a replacement very quickly each time. I just wish I didnt have to keep using it because the products wont stop breaking on me

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got the shipping notice for my finalmouse air58 today. I cant wait to see how just ok it is before I flip it for quadruple to some hypebeast.

The Odin model O is what im most excited about. Looks to be an improved finalmouse ultralight at a more reasonable price point for what is essentially plastic and the same sensor everyone uses.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 24, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mouse bungee are totally worth it, even the $6 one on amazon is great. I had to use some rubber bands to hold the cord securely but it works. If you have a lightweight paracord cord you dont need em.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spasticColon posted:

I would want something with a grip texture because my hand sometimes gets sweaty while gaming so I might just stick with my 602 and 502 for now since they have a grip texture. I switched back to my 602 and even though it's slightly heavier not having to deal with a cord is so nice.

A few people really like to cut out griptape for the buttons and sides. Its your mouse, you can mod it however

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Needs a better cord and a view at the feet before it can start competing with finalmouse. Unless they can meet supply it will just be another always sold out enthusiast gaming mouse.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

I wish the bottom of all mouse just a giant piece of teflon tape... Speaking of that does anymore know where I could just a big chunk?

amazon sells rolls of teflon tape and yes people have been taping big chunks over their mouse feet for years.
https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-PTFE-Mouse-Color/dp/B003DZ16X4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=teflon+tape+mouse&qid=1551301873&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Conf...=gateway&sr=8-3

Aliexpress will have the same kind of things for cheaper but 2-6 week shipping

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190227131505&SearchText=mouse+feet+tape

make sure you sand the edges so that they are properly beveled in the correct direction otherwise the edge will drag. Cutting the face with a knife will usually do it, just dont just from the backing side or you will introduce a jagged edge on the working surface.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 27, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

latinotwink1997 posted:

Finally got the new MX518. Liking the new, slimmer cord. Not sure whether I miss the little accented drawings on the side buttons and + and - top buttons. All around happy to have a new mouse again finally.

I also noticed the safety warning information says not to take it apart because "there is a risk of radiation exposure". That's a new one that I find hard to believe.

radiation is a catch all term encompassing electromagnetic radiation, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma radiation. Its not some uranium powered laser. Probably

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my g pro wireless started dropping middle clicks. I cleaned it out with compressed air and it didnt help. Lets see how logitech's CS is.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You shouldn't have any issues. I replaced a mouse and a headset recently and it was pretty painless. I got my replacements in a week or so after I completed Troubleshooting.

they got back to me just now. The troubleshooting I already performed was enough and they are sending a replacement.

I think ill probably take apart the old one and see if I can get it working. Probably just needs the switch cleaned or a new one which is easy enough

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
12 is pretty much the limit. Most people arent crazy enough to need more. I liked the 1st gen Naga when it had membrane side buttons. Im sure its even nicer with the new mech buttons. I wouldnt pay full price for it though. They do go on sale frequently on sites like Woot.

Have you tried using something like the Orbweaver? I used one along with my normal M+KB when I used to play MMOs and needed to have tons of extra keybinds. I used it as a dedicated macro deck to great success

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

The G Pro has four, two on each side - which may or may not be useful to your needs.

can you use all four side ones at once? Mine came with 2 blocked off, are there extra button in the box?

Hell yeah there are, I found them

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 30, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

Would you recommend this mouse? I'm looking for a new one, but the steep price is making me hold off.

its literally the best mouse I have ever used. If its the right size for your hand its extremely light and low fatigue. The sensor is one of the best easily. My K/D has markedly improved by at least 15% over the razer deathadder which I have been using as my primary mouse in some form over the last 8 years.

The skates are very large and work well with most mousepads but they really perform with a quality tightly woven high end pad.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 31, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wireless eliminates the cord as an influence on aim which is huge

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I mean, so does a cord that has a modicum of thought put into its placement.

The best cord in the best bungee will always affect the mouse drag more than wireless.
Only the small brands do paracord. I think major guys like razer have a durability or signal interference standard that it doesnt meet or they would be doing it too. Logitech doesnt have to because they managed to get near wired latency in wireless.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have what I consider medium hands at 18x9cm and I can just barely palm grip mine, so its probably great for fingertip and claw. I think it was designed with claw in mind because of how relatively low and short it is.

Im pretty sure the Odin is more of a palm grip mouse for med-large as its about the same size and shape as a finalmouse ultralight and I have to palm that one because of how tall the hump is

compared to

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 4, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

we all know what you want

dont you mean

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anime titty experts coming out of the woodwork ITT

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nam Taf posted:

Impulse purchased a G Pro Wireless on discount earlier this week. Just got to play with it tonight.

Holy gently caress.

This is an incredible mouse, it's truly everything I'd hoped for. This is my first wireless and it feels so drat smooth. I legitimately can't think of an improvement to it beyond the incremental battery life upgrades.

This is my first enthusiast mouse but I know I'm totally spoilt.

the wireless charging pad is next. never have to charge it again

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also once resigned myself to always being worse than teenagers and their young man reaction times, but I managed to close the gap with money. Lots of money.

I wont be as good as a professional player with a top end KB+M and high refresh monitor, but I absolutely trash the ones with a heavy mouse, membrane KB and 60z monitors all day.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Listerine posted:

The slowly flashing blue G logo is an error message, that the Powerplay control box is not synced with the Powercore module. The receiver is working insofar as the mouse works- I'm using it now- but the charging does not work.

Did you put the wireless charging puck in the mouse?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingKapalone posted:

For anyone who went from a heavier mouse to the G Pro, what tweaks if any did you make to your DPI/sens? Seems logical that I should lower things since it's easier to move the mouse around.

Also what do people recommend for feet if any at all? Also seen people using grips.
The vast majority of professional players dont use grips or change the feet for the g pro. For mice that have known lovely feet with a long break-in like finalmouse, sure maybe

I think a lot of that stuff is trying to find excuses for why they arent good rather than trying to improve. Are the feet sliding well? Then dont replace them. Are you able to comfortably hold it? then dont add grips.

Hyperglide feet and lizardskins grips are the popular pick for everything

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Are you using the on device memory stored profiles? Those are always the root of my issues with strange mouse problems

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActionExpress posted:

Found a sealed G Pro Wireless for $80 on Offer Up so I decided to take the plunge. Coming from a G502 it's a nice weight difference which I can tell is helping on longer gaming sessions. Sometimes felt like I had a cord on my mouse for about a week, Phantom Limb? Thanks to everyone here who hyped it up, so far its been a winner.

get a nice mousepad if you dont already have one, its an even bigger improvement. The larger than normal feet really benefit from a high quality tight weave or hard surface

SPEND MORE
CONSUME

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 26, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atomizer posted:

Well there are differences in materials (e.g. fabric vs hard plastic or even metal,) thickness (which may or may not be an issue for your setup,) and size (from like 4x6" portable to full 1x4' or whatever to go under both your mouse and keyboard.) On top of that there are RGB and wireless charging options. So a "gaming" mousepad isn't necessarily "better," but there are definitely options to consider.

Most "gaming" mousepads are just the same as any cloth one you can find at an office supply store but with gamer branding. Once it gets dirty its junk and you can never clean it well without loosening the weave.

Purpose built gaming ones make a real difference with tighter cloth weaves and lower friction threads.
This is my current favorite, its glass impregnated cloth
https://www.artisan-jp.com/fx-shidenkai-eng.html
Its extremely low friction, I can lightly flick the mouse and it slides across the whole surface. The soft foam core gives it very sharp stops for flick shots when your hand is on the mouse putting weight down.
The feeling is similar to a hard plastic one but because of the soft core you dont get the super jittery crosshair when playing high sens.
Its really the best of both types, you get low friction and control but it does wear out faster than standard cloth.

I put it over the powerplay mat and it charges fine

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

K8.0 posted:

Increasing DPI to avoid pixel skipping was relevant back when people ran like 200 DPI mice and people still hadn't accepted that really low absolute sens is good. These days, even if you're playing at 4k, using a low 90 real hfov, and a quick-ish 16" 360, 1000 DPI is enough, though I'd probably go 2000 for the increased smoothness of half-pixel precision.

e - point being that your primary concern with DPI should usually just be having a comfortable desktop experience.

pixel skipping still absolutely happens in current gen games at sane dpi and in game sens

Just use this calculator, you shouldnt have to do math when you arent at work
https://pyrolistical.github.io/overwatch-dpi-tool/

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khorne posted:

This is the only concrete source I found. And there are some issues with their methodology. Also the results don't seem to align with what I was saying. The logitech mouse there uses a 3366.

dang, I have that plugable mouse in the link. I felt it was a little off but thought i was just being a price snob. What makes it perform that badly even though it has a top end sensor? Is it poor firmware or are they using sensors that didnt pass QC?