Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Goo posted:

Whether we're actually working on anything or not, I'm strictly forbidden from discussing products that do not appear (or have not appeared in the past) on our website.

Can you say anything about SetPoint development? Namely, if there's any going on beyond hotfixing stuff?

Because while it's pretty drat good on features now, I feel that it still needs a fair bit of work on the usability front. Most tasks require about four mouse clicks more than they should, and 'reading' your configuration is also a bit of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

thrawn86 posted:

now I'm wanting a second performance mx for the office.
Why? Do you pilot two computers at once?

quote:

my "plays best on alienware!" branded funcpad
You are a horrible monster.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 14, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

thrawn86 posted:

it gets annoying having to pack it all up.
Just buy a second receiver.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

central posted:

Can anyone comment on the G9X? Trying to decide between that or a G500.

G9X -> small hands and/or claw/finger grip
G500 -> large hands and/or finger/palm grip

That's pretty much all of it. The G500 also has an extra thumb button and a mechanical hyperwheel switch.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

wiru posted:

So I'm in Japan with my laptop and I realised that I didn't bring my G5.

Off to the shop to get another Logite-

Out of curiosity, is the scale unchanged from the Performance MX that is sold in the West? I would figure that non-laptop mice could really use getting scaled down for the smaller East Asian hand size.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I was reading a review of those R.A.T. mice and I learnt something interesting:

quote:

You also get an awesome precision aim button that can be set to slow the DPI settings down for making headshots almost too easy.

This seems like a much better way for changing DPI on-the-fly, at least the way I normally use it (sniper rifle - zoom - DPI down - shoot - DPI up - change weapon or aim elsewhere - repeat).

Has anyone got any idea to make, say, a G500's thumb button behave this way (i.e. decrease the DPI only while it's pressed)? The SetPoint macro software doesn't seem to record the pressing of the DPI buttons, and I can't find a way to emulate them with Autohotkey or some such (you can control the Windows cursor speed, but that won't affect many games).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Goo posted:

This is not possible with SetPoint, so it's probably not possible with the G500. I say "probably" because I don't know what third-party software stuff can do.

The G400 is the only mouse we're shipping currently that has this option (it's called "DPI Shift"), as it has been integrated into the gaming keyboard software and does not use SetPoint.

Thanks for the information. If newer gaming mice rely on this "gaming keyboard software", is it possible that its future versions will be able to handle older G-series mice as well?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I got a m510 mouse through newegg the other day and I'm pretty sure it was just broken out of the box. The signal just won't stop hiccuping. This is for clicking and scrolling so I know its not just the laser not picking up. So I'm thinking of just sending it back for a full refund and or asking logitech to replace it with something better. Ideas?

For $8 you can upgrade to a Marathon MX, you get a more ergonomic shape and the orgasm wheel.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Tedronai66 posted:

So I got my G700 mouse yesterday. It's nice, but I'm about to throw it through a motherfucking window.

I accidentally switched profiles or something with the middle button that doesn't swap scrolling/click scrolling. It would close tabs in my browser whenever I left/right clicked on them, and no clicks would work in windows (swapping to diff items on taskbar, clicking "OK", etc). I got it back to normal, installed setpoint, and disabled the profile switching bullshit, made sure my buttons were what I wanted, etc. Saved it and played fine.

Shoot to this morning, when I wake my computer up, it's back to doing the same bullshit. And nothing is fixing it. How the gently caress do I stop this? It's definitely annoying enough that I would send this mouse back and pray for something else good to come along.

I'm not quite sure what you've got going on, but perhaps you've accidentally stored the hosed-up profile in the mouse hardware? The higher G-series mice can do that so that the profile will work on other computers without drivers. If so, you should look for that option and put the default profile back on the mouse's onboard chip.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If your girlfriend is twelve years old and Chinese, sure. Otherwise I'd say a Marathon M705 is probably going to be more comfortable.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I've been using Steelseries Qck for two years now and it looks pretty much the same as on the day it arrived, I just wash it under water once in a while. For about $13 it was a steal, IMO.

It's true that I haven't used any other pad, so I might be thinking I got the best one while in fact I have a lovely pad, but the mouse (Logitech G500) glides nicely on it and maintenance is simple and fast. It's made from sort of rubbery cloth and it's mostly warm to touch.

I have the same setup (except it's a Qck Mass because I have a lovely uneven table) and it's been working perfectly for half a year now. I wouldn't describe it as "gliding" though, there is definitely a noticeable attrition between the cloth and the mouse - which suits me just fine since I like a heavier feel (I near-maxed the G500 weights too), but it might not be what Tab8715 wants if he's looking for 'slickness'.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Not really, you only need one if your table doesn't agree with your mouse (or with your wrist, but in that case a small wrist pillow is much better). If both work fine, more power to you.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I do that, too, but it's because I am working on PC way too much, so my hand is kinda tired and achy some of the days. I was contemplating buying one of those gel wrist rests, but I am not sure if they're gonna help at all.

They cost like $5. Get one, worst case you turn it into a dog toy.

VVVVVVVV

quote:

Didn't like the wheel
Freak.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 16, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

I got big thumbs man. :(

You can always set the side buttons to blank (or tell your OS to force a generic 3-button mouse driver).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

The feature list, uh.. listed drag and drop programming so I take that to mean it runs on LGS? Or is it a new version of Setpoint?

Follow the asterisk:

quote:

* Some profile settings require Logitech® Gaming Software to be enabled and are not supported on Linux® and earlier Windows®-based operating systems. Logitech® Gaming Software is available at logitech.com/support-downloads/software

So yeah.

BTW, isn't it a little odd that an ostensibly symmetrical, ambidextrous mouse has an off-centre sensor at the bottom? I hope the software is programmed to account for that, otherwise it should handle weirdly for left-handed users.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

LoKout posted:

Why would it handle weirdly? It doesn't move around on the bottom of the mouse, so it's always a fixed position and therefor will always report movement exactly the same, no matter where it is on the bottom of the mouse. You don't move the sensor to a specific spot to match a spot on the screen.

I've seen this suggestion before and it blows my mind.

It can depend on your grip, but many mouse movements don't consist of simply translating the mouse on the mousepad (in which case they would indeed be independent of the sensor's position). Rather, you partially pivot the mouse around your palm or your wrist, thus changing the mouse's orientation in the process; in which case you'll get very different results depending on the mouse's position.

For example, my G500's sensor is positioned near the top (about the same height as the scroll wheel), so if I want to move the cursor quickly from left to right I can just keep my wrist still and rotate the mouse. Had the sensor been placed further down, the same movement would result in a much shorter cursor travel.

Having the sensor be off-centre on the X axis has a similar effect. People exert more control on their mouse through their thumbs than they do through their pinkie/ring finger; so if the sensor is closer to the thumb, when performing those partial rotations the mouse will feel more reactive, but if it's on the opposite side it will feel slower.

e:fb'd with a thousand words

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The VX Revolution (released at the same time as the original MX Revolution) didn't.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dominoes posted:

One of my main complaints about the G9 is that it doesn't have the auto-switch from free to clicky like the MX Revolution does. That feature is very useful. Do the newer Logitech mice have it?
Most of the new mice just have a mechanical switch button right behind the wheel (some of the smaller models have it on the bottom instead). I don't believe the super-wheel can be toggled through software anymore; I assume it wasn't worth the hassle and production costs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

^^^^^^ The sensitivity controls are great for volume in non-gaming mode.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

pressing the mousewheel for button 3 is almost unusable but it doesn't matter.
WheelRight has replaced MiddleClick in most games for me, as it's faster and neater than middle-clicking any wheel. MiddleClick remains useful for stuff that doesn't need to be lightning-quick, though.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 4, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

To complete, Ctrl-shift-tab for the left is yet another option.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

For Loop posted:

Honestly, toggle resiliency aside, I don't ever want a mouse WITHOUT a scroll wheel. I even brought my G9x into work so I didn't have to suffer a lovely scroll wheel on the stock dell mice. I do work with databases and use excel heavily, so I use the poo poo out of the free-scroll. I am probably one of the people the wheel was designed for, but god drat, I don't get how people don't find this supremely awesome.

:hfive:

Probably doesn't apply to most goons, but I suspect this may otherwise be a frequent reason.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

Since we're talking Xai right now I thought I'd mention that the wheel can be clicked by sweeping it to the right with your finger. Some folk might like this since it's faster than clicking from above. The Ikari's I have do this too.

Isn't that strictly worse than just having a tilt wheel, since you can get the same thing by rebinding WheelRight to act as a middle click?

Also holy poo poo, CV, do you buy every single gaming mouse that comes out? In multiple units ("Ikari's")? I thought you were a reviewer for some hardware site or such, but if you're actually collecting them out of your own pocket that's... :psyduck:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Gyshall posted:

What are my best options for a mobile mouse for my laptop? I literally have only ever used Logitech Gamer series mice, and I'm looking for something portable, cable free, and accurate enough to use on many surfaces, etc.

The Anywhere Mouse MX fits your definition pretty much perfectly. Small, comes with a pouch, micro-receiver that stays in your laptop (or you can store it in the mouse), Darkfield tracking that works on anything (you do pay a price in battery life though), and most of the features you probably got used to with gaming mice (hyperwheel with tilt, thumb buttons).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Logitech's software definitely lets you assign the horizontal scrolling as middle clicks.

I'm also pretty sure that most Razer mice don't have horizontal scrolling at all. Google "Razer [modelname] horizontal scrolling" and you'll find the answer within the first page.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Trisk posted:

True, but if you play games with a low enough sensitivity you'll be moving it back and forth fast enough to induce the rattling.

When you play games you normally can/wanna put the wheel on clicky mode, which doesn't rattle.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dead posted:

I've bought and returned about 3 mice (including the g700, which I had high hopes for) since my MX1000 started to die a year or so ago. I cannot express how frustrated I am that no new mouse is as good as this mouse as old as it is. I thought the G8-G10 keys would be a suitable replacement for the up and down keys next to the mouse wheel, but they're just...bad for frequent use as a popular keybind.

The G400 has two buttons in the same position as the MX1000's, did you try that? You give up on one thumb button and it lacks the hyperwheel of other mice, but if it's a dealbreaker it's a dealbreaker.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Try binding the G500's third thumb button to middle click. You'll get used to it in an hour, and it's both really light and well placed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dogen posted:

Do you want a smaller laptop oriented mouse or a full size regular mouse?

There are also the Logitech Couch Mouse and Marathon Mouse which are nice middle-of-the-road option.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Side-scrolling wheels are the best 6th-7th mouse buttons ever. I never ever use them for lateral scrolling.

In related news, everyone who hates middle-clicking on a G500 or similar should try using the right tilt instead. It's a LOT faster, particularly for games (where you aren't missing out on Ctrl-Tab or whatnot).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The only way to be 100% sure of your ergonomics preferences is to try the mouse. Either go to a physical shop that lets you try them (in most of Europe MediaMarkt does), or be willing to return it if you buy online and make the wrong choice.

I'd look at the G9/G9x first, because if the M510 is only a "hair" smaller than you like then the G500 may be too big for you (then again, I was more of a claw than a palm gripper and I still love the G500). The G500 does have the whole left-button-higher-than-right-one though. There's also the M500 which is a nice middle option if you don't need extra buttons or crazy sensitivities.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 21, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

G300 is symmetrical and has 9 total buttons.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Logitech's customer service is legendary. Email/phone them and you'll almost certainly get a replacement in the mail.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

MeruFM posted:

For many, wireless is not for convenience or utility because wired mice are not really any more cumbersome, sometimes less so with battery weight and recharging.

It just makes things look neater on the desk.

More importantly, it lets you use trackballs/touchpads as a couch mouse.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

V_sPeC posted:

I can see why people buy a $120 mechanical keyboard, but a $120 mouse?
Mechanical keyboards have mostly similar features (Corsair Vengeance excluded), and beyond a certain price point you're paying extra for build quality.

Brand mice have mostly similar quality (within the same brand!), and beyond a certain price point you're paying extra for features - wireless, extra buttons, customisable weights and grips, more sensitive or more universal sensors, etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kri kri posted:

Does anyone know how if there is a way to bind scroll up / scroll down to different things on a g400? Latest logitech software here.
I don't have a g400 or another LGS-using device, but the old SetPoint can't do it. AutoHotkey is perfectly capable of doing that, though:

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Wheel

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cicero posted:

edit: Just turned off mouse acceleration so it feels weird but it's apparently what you're supposed to do to be good at sc2.
Here's a cheap trick to get more quickly used to it:

1) Pick a spot on your screen (an icon, a window corner, whatever)
2) Close your eyes
3) Try to move your cursor to that spot
4) Open your eyes, see how close you got
5) GOTO (1) until you have a decent accuracy or until you get bored

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Flea110 posted:

The G500 looks like exactly what I want, but some folks on Newegg were saying it emits a faint high pitched noise, which I'm positive would drive me nuts. Has that been fixed?
I have had a G500 for almost a year and that's news to me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Any particular reason you're not considering Logitech mice?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The G700 actually fulfills every single one of your criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I think the G500 is unfortunately the biggest mouse currently in production. I tried a G700 once and it wasn't bigger, although it felt a little taller.

You could try looking for a MX1100, it's more recent than the MX Revolution so you should have better luck (also it doesn't have any of the issues of the Rev), and it was quite bulky.

Fake edit: I actually found a comparison picture:

Real edit: I found several on eBay for 40-60€. There's a German guy with an auction ending in 18 hours for a used one, you might be able to score a nice price.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 29, 2012