Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dear Goons,

I am still using a Logitech MX518. This thing has lasted me years and is a really good mouse and I've killed a lot of people in FPS games with it. However, it is starting to break. I'll probably cremate it and keep the ashes.

Would the G502 Proteus be it's spiritual successor? It's ugly as sin, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you to everybody who replied to me, I appreciate the suggestions. Will be looking at all of them soon and deciding which to go for. Buying mice is serious business.

RE the 502 being very heavy doesn't endear it to me as the MX518 is fairly easy to move around the mousepad and I don't want to feel like I'm pushing it particularly hard. Was the weight a significant factor you had to adjust to, or did you kind of just get used to it straight away?

I like the size of the MX518 and I find smaller mice a bit difficult to use as I like to rest my palm on the mouse -- no mlg420 claw grip here.

If the Kone XTD is more similar to the size of the MX518 that definitely does suit me.

The G403 does indeed look very similar to the MX518; will have to see if they carry it locally.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hi mouseketeers, so my MX518 finally committed hara kiri and I ended up getting a Logitech G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM RGB MLG420xXxXxXSmOkeWe3dpr0 mouse, and I'm liking it a lot so far. Mini trip report coming up.

The endless mousewheel is really nice, and while the MX518 had DPI adjustment, having the LED indicator is actually proving to be quite useful.

It's a bit heavy but not hard to get used to coming from an MX518, so if anybody else was making that leap, it's okay.

I downloaded the logitech software which means I can set this mouse up to 12k dpi, which compared to the MX518's 800dpi optical sensor, is a little :eek:.

More programmable buttons is obviously a good thing.

The faux-rubber grip feels really nice.

The braided cable is super premium-feeling and makes me irrationally happier with the product than I know I should be.

Scored this for around 50USD on a sale which I'm not too fussed about, as where I live it'll retail for closer to 80.

One thing I don't like is that wheel-click (middle mouse / mouse 3) lacks feedback. In fact, that's something that's going to take time to get used to, unfortunately. The MX518 had a really nice feedback click for the middle mouse click.

Wanted to ask the thread, with regard to FPS gaming, is it better to set a high DPI and lower in-game sensitivity, or is it better to have a low DPI and raise in-game sensitivity?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

I tend to lower the games adjustment, though not usually to the lowest setting, as some games behave strangely. I then use the mouse software to set up some DPI profiles for the game, and adjust them (and the in game setting) until I'm happy. This lets me toggle the mouse speed using buttons on the mouse, depending on game needs, with low DPI for in game, and higher DPI for menus, etc.

Right, so I've started out doing high DPI for the mouse, and low sensitivity in-game because I'm guessing that this should give me the best accuracy. But a side-effect I didn't anticipate was menus being basically impossible because of the super-high sensitivity, which means of the 5 DPI adjustment levels I always need one or two around 800 to 1000, versus the 12k,10k,8k settings on the other 3.

Does the DPI 'amount' actually correlate to accuracy? Is sensitivity, as adjusted in game, just a software approximation?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

kaschei posted:

Mouse movement is discretized into events on the x and y axes. DPI is supposed to say "If I move the mouse 1 inch, how many mouse motion events get reported?" Or take its reciprocal: how much do I have to move my mouse to make 1 mouse event? If your sensor is high quality it can be accurate over its whole range of DPI, accuracy simply meaning that the number of events generated by a mouse motion corresponds closely to the stated DPI.

Sensitivity, at least in Quake-like games, is a relationship between mouse events and turning in game. Each mouse event corresponds to a rotation of about 4/3 of an arcminute times your sensitivity (I'm using CS/quake values because I remember what they mean). So with sensitivity of 1 you need 16,200 mouse events to perform a 360, sensitivity of 2 would be half that (8,100), etc. If the game you're playing has a flexible enough sensitivity model you can play with high DPI by turning your in-game sensitivity down, or low DPI and turning sensitivity up, and hardly notice it. It's useful to have a DPI-independent metric of sensitivity, and people sometimes state their sensitivity in "360 distance" which takes DPI and sensitivity into account to just say how far they have to physically move their mouse to turn all the way around in-game.

In a FPS, DPI only matters if you're trying to do minute adjustments, when you start flicking and dragging your DPI matters less and less. You basically have to do experiments with small mouse motions to tell whether your DPI is high or low, if your 360 distance is kept the same. If you're trying to line up a shot exactly on a particular part of a texture low DPI will help you make those fine adjustments without requiring an extremely fine mouse motion. Over long mouse motions the difference becomes negligible.

DPI matters more on the desktop where 800DPI on a 4K screen with acceleration off makes every click of the start menu a 8" round trip. So mostly you should pick a DPI to suit your desktop resolution and preference, and find the in-game sensitivity that lets you keep your DPI at a level that's comfortable for desktop use without having to switch modes. If that's not possible (some engines have a hard minimum sensitivity) or you really want low DPI for those fine grained motions in-game by all means tweak away.

tl;dr the difference between high and low DPI that can't be eliminated by adjusting your sensitivity is the precision you, the person holding the mouse, need to have to make a minute turn in-game; low DPI requires less precision, because the physical distance between mouse events is higher so you have more wiggle room on the mouse pad. Optimize to this exactly according to your preferences and no further.

Thank you for this excellent response.

Honestly baffled they they make mice with a clickable scrollwheel not the middle click by default, or not bindable to middle click.

What else do people use to open links in new tabs on browsers using only, ahem, one hand?

After using the G502 for a bit now, I'm less impressed with the unlimited scroll. It seems that it's super sensitive, and that just moving the mouse around can cause the page to scroll. If there was a way to slightly reduce its sensitivity, that'd be great, because if you want to do a long scroll you're going to use a bit of force anyway.

Middle click is also still hard to actuate; at least, harder than the MX518 was. Still not used to it.

Otherwise, really liking this mouse. I've gotten used to the weight and the shape of it is really comfortable.

One thing that has unexpectedly been very handy is the LED display for sensitivity levels. I change sensitivity quite a lot, and it's nice just being able to glance at it and know where it is set.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 15, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

spasticColon posted:

I got myself a G502 and while I really like it so far especially the scroll wheel my only problem with it is the braided cable. Do I need to worry about it fraying?

I looked it up myself when I got mine and the search results are pretty mixed. Altogether I'm not particularly worried. Personally, I love the braided cable and how awesome it looks / feels.

Reddit, however, seems to have a bunch of people with fraying cables: https://www.google.com/search?q=log...iw=1536&bih=750

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 2, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

does anyone even use those dpi settings? most pro gamers rock 400-800 dont they

I always thought it was supposed to be that a high DPI paired with low sensitivity in-game was the best for precision.

You only manually lower your mouse's DPI when you can't set sensitivity low enough in game.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Are wireless mice these days good enough that they are indistinguishable from wired mice for FPS gaming for a ~*~*~casual~*~*~ who just likes to play a bit of Battlefield when the Good Lord sees fit to align the circumstances that will grant him a bit of lonesome time?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Logitech wireless mice, at least, are excellent. Absolutely a viable (and preferable) alternative to wired.

Ynglaur posted:

Yes, the Logitech ones that use a receiver are. Bluetooth continues to suck, but 2.4Ghz is great. I use an MX Anywhere 2S and am no worse than when wired.

Thanks! My only experience is with cheapo Buffalo wireless mice and they have not been good at all for FPS gaming.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

Just bought a Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, fingers crossed it replaces my G502 really nicely. I've been really happy with the G502, but I had to take a rotary sander to the thumbprint grooves, cause it was just nasty with the stuff it was picking up from my hands.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I use Dpi shifting all the time in battlefield games for vehicles.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sort of regretting getting the G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM MLG420 instead of a wireless mouse.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only utility I've found for the sniper button is actually in my day to day photoshop work which lol has actually become an integral part of my work procedure. I never use it in games preferring to adjust sensitivity with the 2 dedicated buttons for that rather than keep constant pressure on the sniper button for aiming.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

onesixtwo posted:

extremely ready to buy a couple of these whenever that is possible. I've been saying the 502 but wireless would be my perfect mouse for awhile, only using my 602 because my setup needs wireless.

Same here, gonna cringe at spending so much on a couple of mice, but I love my 502 and would love it even more if it was wireless.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only time I ever use the sniper button is when I'm working in Photoshop for work and need to mask out hair or something. Like I've never used it to snipe in an online FPS.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How are people finding the wireless G502?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Whelp, I bought a $100 dollar mouse. $119 actually - G502 Lightspeed.

Coming from a G502 normal wired pleb version, I'm happy. It's a little heavier, and that is noticeable (surprisingly, to me, as the on-paper specs don't seem like a huge weight increase but you definitely feel it), but it's not something I mind. The scroll wheel is a lot nicer (each tick feels more 'tactile' and the free-spin doesn't spin as long which I also don't mind at all). Having one less wire plugged into my laptop that I move around constantly is a huge plus.

The G502 is a big mouse, and since I don't claw grip but instead rest my palm on the body of the mouse itself, it's great for that. The sniper button is in a perfect place for my thumb which I never use in-game, but use for the DPI shift in photoshop when masking out hair and poo poo* for work.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the same thing as far as I can tell. I cannot feel any latency at all with the wireless connection which is great. The last time I tried a wireless mouse for multiplayer FPS gaming was, like, 10 years ago and it left me with very bad memories, but this mouse feels indistinguishable from a wired. Worth it, wired version goes into the drawer as a spare.

*metaphorical

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love my G502 Lightspeed, which I moved to from a G502 Scroteus, which I moved to from several MX518s.

But I would definitely make use of couple more buttons, not gonna lie.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 18, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Humerus posted:

Well when I started my computer today the GHub tutorial ran as though I've never used it before and then my G502 lightspeed was set to factory default DPI/Lighting/Profiles. I had around a dozen custom profiles for games, macros for my desktop use, my DPI settings...all gone to the wind. I found the "backup" file but it was also just the default settings. So that's cool and good and definitely how I wanted to spend my evening.

I've had ghub just uninstall itself randomly, and on 2 of those occasions has different results.

One time I restarted and it was back again.

Another time it never came back so I had to reinstall.

In conclusion, ghub is not a land of contrasts but a piece of poo poo

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can you imagine being paid to say 'locked and loaded' over the phone?

I would be fired by the end of business.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tbh having gone for the wireless g502, I don't think I can go back to wired. But I'm all for better value high end wireless mice, coz Logitech poo poo is expensive!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I use the sidways scroll button to sideways scroll.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I spent less than 100 bucks on my G502 SCROTEUS and I love it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So my G502 Lightspeed has a the switch problem on the back button, of all buttons. It double clicks about 3/4 of the time, and the other 1/4 it normal clicks. I didn't expect this to be as annoying as it is, but since I'm often going through tons of nested folders for work, it's actually proven to be incredibly annoying. I believe I'm just outside of warranty (e: checked, by 7 days lmao), and given I live in a city in SEA where warranty void if removed stickers are totally legal, the warranty companies Logitech and other big companies outsource to will absolutely deny you warranty without original receipt which I've probably lost, and the idea of post-sale customer support is a wholly alien concept, I doubt they're going to be kind to me.

So I'm now looking at the copy paste job from Razer, the Basilisk Ultimate. I love the shape and weight of the 502. Does anybody know if the optical switches on the Basilisk Ultimate are just for M1/M2, or are they for every button? Also, is the dock in any way worth it, or am I better off saving 20 bucks and just getting the mouse and charging the old fashioned way?

Thanks.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 29, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sweet, thanks. Just going to get one and hope they are all optical. Maybe I'll spring for the dock, not sure yet. I'm not all that chuffed at the idea of having another thing on my desk.

Pretty peeved that the back button of all buttons is the one to fail on my 502, and everything else still working fine.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only thing I used infinity scroll for was to bind it to melee in Warframe and use it to spam melee attacks without giving myself carpal tunnel.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Well, the Basilisk Ultimate (not quite a $100 dollar mouse thanks to the BF deal) arrived and so far I like it. I'm enjoying that it's a little lighter than the outgoing G502 Lightspeed, though I will say I am missing the sensitivty buttons by M1 (moved to behind the scroll wheel on the Basilisk), but certain I'll get used to that. The shape is so similar to the 502 that it really feels very similar to use, but the thumb rest extending further back is actually something I don't like. I can feel the edge at the back of my thumb whereas the shorter rest on the 502 was more comfortable. Going to take some time to get used to the click feel, but I am relieved at the idea of not having to worry about switches failing. The ability to adjust scroll wheel stiffness was actually a really nice touch and I've got it feeling better than the 502, but this comes at the cost of an infinity scroll toggle.

I didn't opt for the dock as I just don't need another thing sitting on the desk. I used to plug in my 502 to charge, so plugging in the Basilisk once a week or whatever isn't really anything I'm going to notice.

The Razer software is... well, it's not worse than GHub so far but it's not better either. It seems really laggy though almost like it's running at 24fps or something. Annoyed that I need to have it running constantly to switch the RGB off. Between that and Asus' Armory Crate making GBS threads up my computer with a billion services just to turn off the light on my graphics card... well... gently caress RGB, you should have to install software to turn it on, not to turn it off.

Now I need to see if I can fix my 502 or if the switch is just doomed to double click for ever. Either way it'll be a decent backup mouse. I'm collecting too many of these...

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 7, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Razer software... I may have spoke too soon saying it's not worse than GHub. I'm regularly catching the RzSDKService.exe using 2 gb of ram, some kind of mem leak. Since I have to keep this horseshit installed to have rgb off, think I'm gonna set up a rule in process lasso to terminate the service once it crosses 100mb or something. I only have 16gb of ram. Or maybe just uninstall and live with the lights. Not sure if this is worse, or GHub's getting stuck on updating every single update, forcing an uninstall, wiping of the LGHub folders in appdata, and then clean reinstalling.

On the plus side I did learn that I can uninstall armory crate and it's associated 1.3 billion services and my graphics card light will stay off. However, after using their uninstall tool, I am still spying asus services and it's left a ton of crap on my PC. Nice, Asus.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 12, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

poo poo, I think I did install Chroma, but I can't find any way to uninstall it. It's not in the uninstall menu, and all I can do within Synapse is disable "Chroma Apps"?

E: Oh wait, I see it now, there's a little "X" that appears in the corner when you mouse over the module in Synapse. Gonna uninstall that poo poo now.

E2: Yeah that did it, don't have the leaky service running anymore. Thanks, k8!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are you sure it's a mem leak and not crypto mining

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Razer's CEO was a cryptobro.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 12, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The most annoying thing about ghub is that it regularly and randomly bricks itself when updating, and it is completely befuddling that they can't seem to fix it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I definitely need to learn how to solder and repair (replace the switch) on my G502 because it seems like such a waste to have a perfectly functioning mouse with just 1 button not working. It's also an expensive mouse that broke 1 week out of warranty, so damned if I'm just going to chuck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Klyith posted:

I open up the switch housing and clean it. Here's my pictorial guide.

I've heard of squirting electrical contact cleaner into the switch through the button hole, but IMO to really do the job thoroughly you need to open the thing up. Some light rubbing just with a paper towel & alcohol cleans off the oxidation much better than squirting cleaning fluid and hoping that it gets to the right spot. Done this way it lasts a good long time before it degrades again.
Sweet thanks im gonna try this first. Quoting so I can find it again.