Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got this mouse and it's a phenomenal mouse, but god drat is the design bad. Where my pinky rests (I'm right handed), the mouse has some sort of knurled surface which is an absolute nightmare since it collects all sorts of crap and gunk in it. No matter how frequently or severely I clean it, it's dirty again within a week. I don't even know what this crap that collects on it is, since I don't have dirty hands and will always wash my hands after eating something messy. It's got a really unpleasant downside of making my pinky smell funky and I'm genuinely considering just sanding down the side of it so it's smooth and doesn't attract dirt.

What other mice could I buy that would be an upgrade from this one?

Edit: Turns out this is a common issue. Will use an old toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol to clean it and save myself the hassle of getting a new mouse with a better design. Will definitely consider sanding it down in the future when I pick up my Dremel from my parent's place.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If anyone has a mouse with a knurled surface where your fingers rest and also suffer from the same issue I had (where it picks up disgusting gunk, random poo poo, dead skin) and leaves your hand and mouse smelling funky, this is what I did to fix it: unplugged my mouse, took an old toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol and just brushed all that disgusting stuff away. It's made a world of difference and now my fingers aren't left smelling like doritos if I use the mouse for a prolonged period of time.

Knurled surfaces on a mouse is the dumbest thing ever. It adds nothing at all to it, other than a hassle and annoyance. It doesn't help me grip it better, it looks ugly. I gotta keep cleaning it though, once every couple weeks, it's a bit irritating.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 3, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what does a mouse bungee do?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I already googled it, but a bunch of shopping stuff came up, and some uptight, dumb gamer nomenclature on the Razer website

Was hoping someone could just give me a straight up answer. From what I understand, it just holds your cord out the way, but what's the point in that? Surely there's something more to it than a simple cord holding device?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have a Logitech G502, bought it in 2015, it's giving up on me. Every now and then, the input gets choppy. At first I thought there was dirt on my mousepad, but there isn't.

Any recommendations on a new mouse? Something tried and tested that you guys like.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My brain is still stuck in the days where wireless things were choppy and unreliable. So I've not picked up a wireless mouse / keyboard because I just have this view that they'll conk out right when I need them in a game. Friends who have wireless stuff say they're amazing though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I still remember back when wifi was notoriously garbage for gaming, with constant lagspikes. I remember forking out hundreds of pounds on a powerline adapter brick, which was insanely huge, just to get an ethernet connection. These days, powerline adapters cost next to nothing and are tiny, and friends use WiFi cards and never complain of lagspikes. I'm just an old man barely keeping up with the times.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just bought a Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, fingers crossed it replaces my G502 really nicely. I've been really happy with the G502, but I had to take a rotary sander to the thumbprint grooves, cause it was just nasty with the stuff it was picking up from my hands.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wash your hands

I have an OCD when it comes to hand hygiene, it's not that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah it's understandable.

It was these grooves right here, the rest of the mouse stayed spotless, but I guess they acted abrasively and managed to pick up super gross dead skin or something. I'd clean it but 1) it was a chore and 2) cleaning my mouse every other week was a hassle. Once I sanded it down with a rotary sander, the issue went away. It's bad design, I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea. Now I can just wipe my mouse down with a bleach wipe and it's clean in no time, whereas before I'd have to spend ages getting into all the grooves.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah that g502 pattern is really bad, it collects dead skin and slin oils and combines them into grossness so fast. Literally came into this thread to see if anyone elses did.

Your skin sheds even if you use moisturizer too btw.

Glad to know I'm not a filthy cave dweller. The patterns are so bad, but the good news is their newer mice have gotten rid of that stupid design choice.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I used it during games when I'm using menus or something, between rounds. Low DPI for gameplay, high DPI for easy menu selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

isndl posted:

Qubee's example seems like a low stress context where hitting a bottom button isn't a big deal even if it's not ideal. Depends on how much you use the menus I assume, usually I barely use them after I have my bindings dialed in.

I specifically use it in FPS games, and was thinking of Rainbow Six Siege. Highest DPI in-game is nauseating and I can do at least three 360 spins by just nudging the mouse. Between rounds, you're in the menus selecting your operator, spawn location, etc, and the lowest DPI setting is like pushing the cursor through molasses. So the DPI shift is a lifesaver, I can whack it to highest setting to easily pick what operator / spawn location I want, swap out weapons and gadgets, and then bump it all the way down when I'm ingame.

Outside of that specific instance though, I don't really see where else it would come in handy, seeing as most normal people just have one DPI setting they constantly use to browse the web, etc.

Atomizer is right, though. If the button was on the bottom of my mouse or wasn't super simple to use, I'd just knuckle down and deal with the bloated, pushing-through-molasses nightmare that is lowest DPI setting in menus.