Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Farecoal posted:

Holy poo poo $50 dollars for a mouse?! :stare:

I had this exact same reaction when I looked around for a new mouse. I have never paid more than $25 for a mouse, but then I haven't needed to look for a new mouse in 6 years.

I've looked back a few pages and googled around, but I'm not quite clear why dpi is important. I have a hard time imagining how a higher dpi will improve my gaming. I've been using a cheap mouse (a microsoft comfort optical 3000) for gaming and never really felt that its dpi ever held me back. Is there some study that compares dpi value to game performance?

Also, I'm one of those weird people who don't like the feel of the mx518. This puts me out of range for the apparently best gaming mouse ever. I've had a couple friends help me find alternatives, but I'm feeling very indecisive. Besides the zowie am and the razer deathadder, is there a mouse with a similar shape as those that would be better recommended? I've been told of razer's hardware issues and zowie mice appear too new and untested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The Lord Bude posted:

Well, after a while you start wondering if there is something even better out there, and you start getting an urge to buy new shiny computer stuff.

having a new thing to look at is very satisfying.

Coincidentally, I get this urge every 5-6 years, right around the time I replace my whole PC!

I could see someone with a steady income and no family obligations get into a groove where they replace their pc parts every year or two. I'm rather poor, so I need things to maintain a certain level of functional for long periods of time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

illezt posted:

FYI: Monoprice has rebranded Zowie mice on sale for their Black Friday deal -- looks like they have EC1s and AMs. I picked up an EC1 -- at $29 it's a freakin steal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140101&p_id=10230&seq=1&format=2

I've never bought anything from monoprice before. Do they mess around with their rebranded products, or is this a simple sticker on an intact zowie product?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yeah, I pulled the trigger on the AM. I've been real stubborn about not buying a good gaming mouse over $50 and now it has paid off, and on my ideal brand of mice, too!

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 2, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My zowie am arrived yesterday. The rubber coating is actually kind of slippery. Anything I can do about that? Otherwise it fits my hand nicely and performs well so far.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So that Monoprice Zowie AM I bought in december: The right mouse button is starting to break, sometimes giving me double clicks on a single press. It's still under warranty, but Monoprice doesn't carry the AM model anymore. From a quick glance, it seems they don't carry any Zowie mice anymore, and the rest of their mice look like cheap garbage.

I'm going to be a little upset if I can't get my money back.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Welp, Zowie won't replace my mouse. However, they said it might be the tension spring causing me issues.

How likely is it for someone who's never repaired a mouse to break inside it and make an adjustment without leaving any permanent damage?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kairos posted:

My Intellimouse Optical 1.1a is breaking (after scrolling down the wheel will usually register one more a few seconds later, and now the left side button is occasionally double-clicking and not registering), so I'm looking to get something new, and I'd like to try something with a more modern sensor and whatever other niceties come with newer mice. I use a fingertip grip but I also sometimes rest my palm on it while not moving it so it's probably better that it not be super tiny, but at the same time I don't want something huge and heavy. My main requirements are that it have a good sensor, a reasonably sturdy scroll wheel (I figure that's probably the most fragile part on most mice), and at least two side buttons. The main things I'm looking at right now are the Mionix Avior 7000 and Castor, and the Zowie FK. If anyone has opinions on those or suggestions of different mice (I'm open to pretty much whatever) I'd be interested to read them. Thanks.

I got burned on a Zowie AM when the right mouse button malfunctioned less than a year after buying it and Zowie declined to fix/exchange it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is this real? Can I actually get a new intellimouse in the year 2016 for only 24 bucks?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I grabbed a Nixeus Revel off amazon. Not exactly a sale but it's the cheapest I've seen it at $35. Hoping it'll last longer than my zowie did.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How long do gaming mice last? I do a lot of gaming and that nixeus revel I bought ~2 years ago is now giving me extra right-clicks.

I ask because if 2 years is reasonable for frequent use, I'll just buy another one since it's slightly cheaper right now. If not, I could use some recommendations for a gaming mouse with that general shape and size that will actually last or has a better warranty.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Arzachel posted:

https://gearsearch.gg/ has a nice shape compare tool, looks like they're pretty similar from a glance.

Now that's handy.

Someone tell me more about these switches though. Lots of omron but what are huano, zippy and the rest?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I had a zowie mouse break on me in less than a year and they didn't honor the warranty.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is there anything special about the mechanical switches Steelseries uses on their mice?

My Deathadder died so I started using the Rival 110 I had been using with my work laptop and it is so much more satisfying to click than the deathadder.

For some reason the mouse input feels better in a way I can't exactly describe.

Does Steelseries make a bigger "arch" shaped mouse like the Logitech G500 or Deathadder that's any good?

This Rival 110 actually owns but the mouse itself is too small for it to be my "main mouse".

I've been using mine for over a year and a couple months ago the mouse wheel started acting up. It hasn't interfered greatly with my gaming yet but it gets bad sometimes when browsing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

64bit_Dophins posted:

On the Rival 110 or the Deathadder?

rival 110

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

codo27 posted:

Imagine now you're having one of those hungover, wife is gone for the day wank sessions and just as you're about to rip the loving desk just explodes

not having a tug, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e3UkxAUYYk