Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

This feels like a dumb question, but I'll swing anyway - how are you actually supposed to hold and use a vertical mouse? I picked up one of these a bit over a month ago and I've been using it at work to try and mitigate some ergonomics-related nerve issues, but apparently I'm too dumb to figure out how I'm supposed to actually use it. If I hold it loose like I'm used to doing with other mice, my hand constantly slides down and my wrist tilts back to "normal", wiping out the benefits while making it more difficult to use than a normal mouse. If I hold it tight to my palm, I have to death-grip it and feel like I'm grinding it into my desk just to keep a good hold on it, putting a lot of pressure on the web of my thumb in the process because it has to match the other 4 fingers on its own - and even then my last finger drags on the desk constantly & my coordination/"aim" is totally hosed up. Neither really seems like a solution. It's not a bad size, either - fingers straight and palm against the mouse like normal, my fingertips rest right where I'd want to click at anyway. I just have no idea how the hell you're supposed to use it properly.

Yes, I know it's a lovely cheap mouse, I'm getting saddled with a lot of medical costs dealing with this and this is a proof-of-concept to determine if I really want to spring down the line + a backup in case other hardware fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fauxtool posted:

if you scroll down there is a picture of a hand holding it. Maybe you need to use it deeper into your desk so your elbow isnt suspended and you arent forced to death grip it. Try bending your wrist more towards you

Yeah, their example picture is terrible though especially for me - I have ulnar nerve issues so compressing the outside edge of my wrist/hand where the nerve runs (and the elbow, for that matter) defeats the whole purpose. Have to come at it slightly higher on the mouse to keep that uncompressed. My armrests are set up so that though my elbow is suspended to keep pressure off the cubital tunnel, my forearm can make contact just ahead of it and take the weight. Halfway works, but... work doesn't want to pay to replace our broken chairs and all the spares were gone through years ago, so it's that or no armrest and the latter sucks worse.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's pretty much my backup, yeah. The Anker just happened to be very cheap at the time & a friend's father with similar issues has one that helped him greatly, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Can't possibly be worse than the little standard mouse smaller than my palm that's all they'll provide without me paying for it, right?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I've got nothing for "vertical vertical", but if you find anything in the process that doesn't compress the outside of your hand/wrist, let us know. A step up currently but by God not a big one.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Corsair M95 is finally dying after all this time. Let it go while it was just the scroll wheel jacked up, now the left mouse button is going too. Already done the repairs and cleaning I can, but it's declining regardless. Lasted me since 2014 though, so I'll call that a victory. Any suggestions on a similar replacement? I barely used the side buttons in practice, mostly care about the form factor & adjustable DPI. Been holding off on deciding on a replacement until whatever's wrong with my wrist/hand gets figured out (current theory from my doctor is that the initial nerve damage guess was wrong and it's injured tendon(s) causing the issues), but this is starting to force my hand.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DryGoods posted:

Razer Basilisk V2 is $45 on amazon today. Looks like historic low if you're like me and have been waiting for a lower price.

Is it the usual Razer build quality, though? Looking for a replacement for my mouse (as mentioned above), but I've used Razer hardware and I really don't need something that's going to start failing 3 or 4 years out on me. Only solid thing I've ever gotten from them is a pre-RGB Black Widow that I still had to retire 6 years in due to key chatter.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LordAdakos posted:

I'd be really surprised is many peripherals lasted 4 years, either because something better comes out or because they break or because consumers consume and they can get the same thing but with rgb/white leds/paracorded cables/a new sensor that is identical to the old but with a new revision number.

I have mice that are close to 8 years old. Do I use them? Nope. They are the backup of the backup's backup.

My Corsair mouse is finally dying (not quite dead, but at the point where the hardware damage has reached points I can't fix) after seven years. My last keyboard, incidentally that aforementioned Blackwidow, lasted me from 2010 (original model) until late last year. Headsets make it 6 or 7 average. Hell, I'm using monitors old enough to have badges confirming they're Vista-compatible.
I don't like spending money on peripherals, and I use things until they're either beyond repair or the repair is more intensive (either cost or skill) than a replacement. That Blackwidow would still be going strong if I felt comfortable removing and replacing the two or three damaged switches, but soldering is not part of my wheelhouse and I didn't want to make my only keyboard the test project.
e: to clarify, I agree that it's unusual, but "how long will it last" is the second most important thing on my list to know for any peripheral, or any electronics really, directly behind "will it injure me with extended use".

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 8, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, vertical mouse experiment has been a failure overall. Considering moving on to a trackball of some sort, probably thumb ball. All the resources that aren't transparent paid ads are years out of date and list prices that are a quarter to half what things are now. What's the solid entry point for thumb trackball mice nowadays? Still dealing with nerve/wrist issues.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

M570 arrived. Wish me luck I guess. Doesn't solve replacing my mouse at home but might be nicer than that cheap pos I have at work.
edit: holy poo poo this trackball is SO TWITCHY

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 8, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

M570 arrived. Wish me luck I guess. Doesn't solve replacing my mouse at home but might be nicer than that cheap pos I have at work.
edit: holy poo poo this trackball is SO TWITCHY

Following up, yeah, this thing is completely unusable. Yet another return to chalk up on my account I guess.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

kimcicle posted:

I really like my M570, maybe you need to drop the sensitivity in windows for it to be not as twitchy? Or maybe another alternative is to use a finger trackball like the Kensington Expert Trackball?

Tested the full range all the way down to 1/11, most of thoee at all 4 mouse acceleration levels, and either it was too twitchy for fine control or it was too slow to use on more than a quarter of my screen with no in between. Finger trackball might be a better solution, at least there's more than one point of contact to stabilize there, the particularly "good" options in that category just happened to be a hell of a lot more expensive so it wasn't my first choice.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Roccat Kone Pro Air - good shape. Feels close to the G502. The best stock feet on a mouse I’ve ever felt. I didn’t like the coating at all. Mouse 1/Mouse 2 clicks felt like something was crunching underneath. I didn’t like it. It felt broken. Also the Roccat Swarm software is dog poo poo and the mouse wouldn’t charge consistently. Returned.

FWIW, I ended up with a Kone AIMO and didn't end up with any of the problems here (though the Swarm software is unavoidable). I'm not a big fan of the side buttons, coming from a Corsair M95 and its wrapped 15 buttons (very nice), but everything else about it is a better feel. It is wired, though, which is a plus for me but I know is a minus for a lot of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know some people have mentioned problems manifesting with the scroll wheel getting gummed up, but haven’t had those either (yet).

Unfortunately looks like mine is finally beyond the point I can repair with this issue. Two and a quarter years of endurance overall, which... isn't great imo. Guess it's back to the search for something to actually feel like my old Corsair mouse (nicest mouse I ever owned) instead of this.