Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

ShowTime posted:

Took my Deathadder 3500 back. Either I had a faulty mouse, or the tracking on the deathadder is just terrible. I exchanged it for a Logitech G500 and so far this mouse gets an A+ from me. Super accurate, lots of easily accessible buttons, great form, awesome scrolling wheel (you can easily toggle whether it's super smooth or has that click-feel as you scroll) and a nice finish. It has a grainy feel to the top surface, and a rubberish mesh feel on the sides.

It also has weights which is great because I like a heavy mouse.

I agree 100% with this. It is nearly perfect. Don't underestimate the free scrolling wheel either. It's a great feature. For $39 at Best Buy it blows everything else out of the water (yes, I'm a long time 518 user).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm looking into getting a new mouse. I've heard great things about the Logitech MX518, should I look at getting a G500 though? I heard that was the new generation of the MX518

The G500 is a really solid product all around. The weighted free-scroll is a feature that I wouldn't give up. The texture, materials, and adjustable weight are also nice.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Laser mice are poo poo, weights are a complete gimmick, and the free scrolling thing is a gimmick for retarded people who don't realize you can click the middle mouse button. Get an MX518 or some other optical. If you want to spend more money maybe buy a deathadder, they look better to hold than an MX518.

I used a 518 for years, but always just wished it was a little heavier. I also quickly wore out the teflon pads, which pissed me off. They actually came unglued. That is not going to happen on the G500.

I had no idea what free scroll was when I bought the G500, but it blows middle click out of the water.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

K8.0 posted:

I can't believe anyone could actually use middle click scroll and then prefer something that is slower, less precise, requires more finger gymnastics, and renders your middle button useless for anything else you might want to do with it. What exactly do you like about it?

Considering I don't agree with any of your comparisons, it's probably not worth discussing. A tiny flick of a single finger sends the page scrolling at a measured pace (as fast or slow as I flick it), which I can stop on a dime. This is not gymnastics.

When you keep your finger on the wheel it acts like a normal wheel, and is easy to fine tune. Also it doesn't put the mouse in a different mode, which takes away all other functionality.

Adjusting the scroll acceleration by moving the entire mouse away from the arbitrary point where you clicked, careful not to move off the page or move it past a threshold that goes way too fast. That is gymnastics.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

When I got my G500, I came here to tell everyone how great it is, which I still stand by. In terms of features and construction for price, I really don't think it can be beat (I love the free-wheel and the texture).

The problem set in after using it for about 8 months. I'm starting to have some pretty severe wrist pain, especially when I grip the mouse for normal use. I used a MX518 for years with no discomfort at all, and my usage has gone down if anything.

I think the problem is that I have really large hands, and the mouse is too narrow where it dips in for the thumb shelf. I often find myself trying to grip the mouse by the wider part of the shelf right next to the desk.

Any gorilla handed people out there? What is your mouse of choice? I really don’t like Razor’s style or build quality, and I want a free scroll wheel. I wish I could be sure the G700 would be better, but I'm guessing it would be more pain.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

boingthump posted:

What's worse is I'm actually right handed. I just use my mouse with my left hand. I'm sure it's because I learned doom so long ago using the Up-down-left-right keys.

I've tried to teach my self WASD many times. It just feels so awkward for me. The mouse in my right hand is accurate enough for web browsing and office work, but once I need real precision for games it goes to hell.

Oddly enough, I have (had?) the exact same problem. I decided to make the switch to right handed gaming about 6 years ago, and now I just suck at games with either hand. I don't think I will ever be as precise as I was.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

weapey posted:

Stick with it, putt a little effort in. It's worth it for the extra keys you have around your hand to reach (ZXC row, numrow, f-keys etc.)

RE: More keys. One thing I miss about being a lefty was using the numpad (inverted T around the 5), then the thumb rests on the down arrow for jump, and the thumb can hit 3 other keys for crouch, reload, or whatever. It also gives you a lot of perfectly aligned keys around your inverted T.

edit: Fond memories of COD2 SMG belly flopping.

headcase fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 11, 2011

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Anjow posted:

I got a G700 for work, having been using the same 2 MX Revolutions at home since 2007 and I'm very pleased with how it feels and works. The feel is very similar, the functions are similar and I like the way you can use it wireless or wired if you need to charge.

Speaking of charging though, has anyone else with this mouse found that the battery life doesn't stack up well with the MX Revolution? I have it in power saver mode but it's almost as though it doesn't turn off. I can use my MX Revolutions for a couple of days each before they're on 1 bar of charge, if I don't plug this one in overnight at work it is on 1 bar by the time I get in in the morning.

The G700 has a AA rechargable, which I appreciate because it's so easy and cheap to replace. Maybe there are better batteries out there than the one it came with?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Goo posted:

I participate in the thread sparingly so that I don't look like I'm just whoring out our stuff, but I've been working on the G400 for a year now so I couldn't resist talking about it.

Very glad you posted. Now there is something else on my want list.

Since you are that close to the design process, are there any improvements being made to how the teflon feet are attached? That is always the failure point of my logitech mice. They eventually slide around or slide off when the glue fails.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

OK fair enough. It fails after 3 years. Still sad to see it go when the rest of the mouse is fine though :P

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

That does sound like an improvement. I'm rockin' a G700 right now. Love it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I got a G403 about a month ago and I'm pretty disappointed. It's a great mouse all around except for 2 things:

* My thumb has already worn through the rubber side of it. There is a chunk missing.
* The drat lighting settings won't stay. I've tried every recommendation for toggling whether they are kept in mouse memory, and nothing works.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Goo posted:

Neither of those things should be happening. Please contact Customer Care, create a case, and PM me your ticket number.

I will tonight. I started to this afternoon, but want to take a picture (at home).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Goo posted:

Neither of those things should be happening. Please contact Customer Care, create a case, and PM me your ticket number.

I got notification from Customer Care that they are replacing it. Always a pleasure working with Logitech. It will be interesting to see if this one just had a weak spot on it. I do use the thumb buttons quite a bit while I'm playing Overwatch for ~2 hours per day.

The funny thing is that thumb wear was supposed to be an issue with my previous steel series rival, but I never had a problem with it over 2 years.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I know this is just giving them more money with the same service issues, but I've always wanted to try an orbweaver, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

onesixtwo posted:

Logitech mice have a good reputation, and forums poster Goo is reminding people to take actual hardware issues to customer support so they get corrected within warranty like a good friend. Also you gotta keep in mind most people who post issues are doing so out of ‘hey what can I do?’ You more rarely hear the people coming back after multiple years of use just checking in to say it still works.

I’ve only owned Logitech mice lately. If you want a bulky wireless, I’d throw the 602 in for consideration. Cheaper than the MX 2S, missing the side scroll whee but has six thumb buttons. I bound two to scroll left & right. So far that has kept me from buying a MX 2S for now. I dunno a good portable wireless, but don’t cross Logitech out they are very reliable.

Absolutely. I've been loyal to Logitech for like 15 years except for this period a couple years ago where it seemed like they were going the heavy wireless hybrid route without focusing on great sensors or things that gamers actually want. They are very customer focused and also care a lot about product design.