Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I still have a perfectly functional MX518, is there some mouse out there that's like... "better" in some way? Like higher precision, feels better in the hand, somehow more functional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Trickyrive posted:

The 500s is on sale today http://amzn.com/B00CJD4HD2 along with a bunch of other logitech mice. Camelcamel says its the lowest its been.

I still can't tell if I want this mouse or not, if I'm already a MX518 owner. I want that precision! Or something!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Goo posted:

The G500s will track very differently to your MX518 because the sensor architecture is totally different. If you like the MX518 and really really really need a new mouse, the G400s will feel more familiar. If your MX518 is still working well, I won't be sad if you stick with it.

I have no special allegiance to it, but I'm wondering if I am somehow missing out. Like moving from my old rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical one was pretty awesome, I don't want to somehow be using some adequate mouse when I could be using one that is obviously cooler.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I think the g602 is the far better option.

Why is that?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm seriously considering the Razer Deathadder 2013. It's under $60 on Amazon, I've read plenty of PRO GAMER type writeups that say a lot of good things about it, and it looks like a nice simple mouse that does gaming right, especially FPS, which is the only type of game I really seriously play.

Am I doing it wrong?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

You should strongly consider a Logitech g400s or a zowie EC evo as well.

No on the G400s, but I'll check out the Zowie as best I can.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think my new Deathadder doesn't like the text on my mousepad... I never had issues like this with my MX518!!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The new Deathadder responses to solid colour mousepads the best. I tried one on a oversize QCK with the FNATIC colours on it and it freaks out everytime it moves from orange to black. It also like textured mousepads like the Mad Catz GLIDE 7, which is like a weird soft mouse pad that tracks like a hard one.

Like others have been saying, if you want to keep it working good all the time be ready to blow compressed air into it every few days. The mouse wheel on mine will gunk up and make this terrible grinding noise on top of the plastic crunching mouse clicks now becoming triple left clicks. I tossed it recently as Razer wanted me to pay both ways shipping to replace it since I am in Canada($40 total) and sticking it out with the g500s.

People are getting really hyped over the Rival so I propbably will get that when I get paid. It seems to handle well for people with big hands.

Mouse maintenance every few days. "Cool."

I have a really old Func sUrface with Alienware branding (I seriously forget where this thing came from. I have never owned Alienware anything.) which is kind of a silvery text molded into the surface. I really like my sUrface, to be honest, it's the most feature-full mousepad I can find with the cord clip, dual surfaces, and non-slip bottom that I know works great. Unfortunately it looks like you can't really buy them anymore, and the one on Amazon has big branding on it that messes up tracking as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, screw it, I just switched back to my MX518. I am getting the same scores and feel about the same as I did with the Razer, but I can use my old mousepad. $60 I don't need to spend on a dumb gaming mouse. :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nephilm posted:

Cars I can understand as dickwaving, but you don't really dickwave your peripherals since they're stuck back home most of the time. Ends up coming as "I have more money I know what to do with and/or poor impulse control."

For something you touch all day and costs $60 or fewer most of the time I don't see the issue up/sidegrading whenever you feel like it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Peanut3141 posted:

Love it. Seems like I finally found a worthy replacement to my MX Revolution. Just took a year.

Would you suggest it for a FPS mouse? It seems kind of over-buttony... I'm interested in replacing my MX518 with something better, but not sure what that might be. I don't really care about wires, as my mouse pad has a wire clip that makes it pretty unnoticeable. But if I could find something with a few more useful buttons, wireless, and as accurate and nice as the MX518 I could be convinced.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use a MX518 to this day and find it ugly as hell. My 2 cent'z.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Steel Series Rival - better than an MX518 for FPS? Basically I want a mouse to magically make me better ok :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fookolt posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/8/5593420/logitechs-g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse-12000-dpi

New Logitech mouse; I like the shape and everything but oh...those...colors :pcgaming:

This owns I want my insect cyborg mouse now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Welp. Glad I took that Razer back. This looks like everything I was wanting out of a new mouse.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

I use side scrolling for volume.

Holy crap.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm about 99% sure my SO got me a G502 mouse for a birthday present. Waiting until the weekend for new hardware suuuucks. Also I'm struggling to think of a geekier present than an $80 mouse...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I already own a pebble :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Awwwh yeah G502 birthday present! This thing is a total futuremouse. Can't wait to test it out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Initial thoughts on the G502: well-made, great clicks, good feel in the hand, nice materials. The scroll wheel is fabulous but honestly TOO rachet-y to be used in non-freewheelin' mode for general use. I don't mind this at all, as moving it doesn't make the wheel spin and I can just flick it to scroll around. For games I see the appeal of the decisive click for weapon selection or whatnot.

I like the concept of the temporary DPI switch "sniper" button, but haven't tested the application yet. It was honestly one of my prerequisites for a new mouse so I better get used to it. :) I find the 2 side "front" and "back" buttons meant to be hit with the thumb slightly different in position from my MX518, but so far it seems pretty natural. The DPI switch buttons up top seem questionable for me, as I don't jump around between DPI when gaming, ever. I'll likely test binding them to grenades or something similar and see if it makes sense.

The movement is smooth and everything seems solid. I don't have any weird tracking issues on my mousepad, which has silvery lettering embedded in the surface, like I did with the Razer I briefly owned.

The software works and is easy to work with. I am trying to do some new things that I haven't been able to do, like map the DPI switch buttons to switch tabs in Chrome and side-scroll for volume control. Both of these are totally new options for me so remembering to use it is surprisingly challenging. But being able to do that is kind of awesome.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I honestly have no idea why it comes with MORE weight. It's already heavier than the MX518 out of the box. If it were lighter I might understand...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

wolrah posted:

It was intuitive to anyone, scroll slow and you get clicks, scroll fast and you don't.

THIS WAS A THING???? Holy crap that sounds ideal.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Christoff posted:

Using max DPI and I feel I could go a bit higher but it works.

Jesus. That's some fine motor control.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

It only goes up to 2500 - that's just right for 1440p I've always found. It's too tiring to have to move your whole arm around, I'd rather just twitch my hand to get the mouse from one side of the screen to the other.

Oh wait I was confused with the G602 and G502. I have the 502 and max DPI crosses my 23" screen in like 3/4" inch of movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dotcom656 posted:

Okay. Yeah I really like the ability of the G502 to adjust weights, mainly because I want to experiment with weights and see what feels best for me.

If you play FPS don't worry about the weights. In fact it might be too heavy for you out of the box. If you do high DPI micro stuff weights are going to be more of a factor.

This is, of course, IMO.