Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a bluetooth desktop mouse with a click wheel. Don't need much more than that except it needs to have a non goofy shape.

So far I've only found this:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/computer-accessories/RF-ABTMSE.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well Frys has those lovely looking Canon bluetooth mice with the built in calculator for $8. They actually feel alright in your hand. The scroll wheel is the clicky type.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are you either of these people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5auv8UvYn0

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm really accustomed to the shape of this mouse over almost a decade of using it.

does anyone know if there's a wireless mouse that has roughly the same size and shape? Doesn't have to he MS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do people intuitively develop the claw grip on their own? Or is it some sort of 'enthusiast' thing that people learn on the webs?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah, long fingers and/or large hands makes sense. I have smallish hands and I still find a lot of mice really small so I guess the effect must be amplified for those with enormous hands.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How are the Razer knock offs on ebay? I like the shape of the Razers but I wouldn't use them for gaming and I can't justify the price for non gaming work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-PC-2-4G...#ht_4588wt_1119

e: bought the mamba knock off. Will report back once I get it.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 12, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What are the pro/cons of bluetooth mice vs proprietary radio like Logitech unifying? Power? Lag?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kaschei posted:

With Bluetooth you can't reliably get beyond 125Hz polling rate and either the bluetooth mouse sucks charge and/or (usually and) the sensor sucks to try to reduce power consumption to get to reasonable levels of battery life.

BT pros: you can switch between devices without moving a dongle, you get one more USB slot and don't have to worry about a dongle sticking out of your laptop.

The only lag difference should be due to the polling rate. Gaming mice usually operate at 500 or 1000Hz (2 or 1ms latency), Bluetooth's 125Hz is 8ms of latency in the worst case.

Thanks! I think I'll stick with not BT for now. Is there a reason why BT polling is locked(?) at that rate?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a wireless mouse that's similar in shape to the classic microsoft optical mouse?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

syscall girl posted:

:allears:

Lost mine in a divorce but it was pretty yellow by then.

Well they make black ones too. Those only get blacker.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Woolie Wool posted:

Steelseries Sensei Wireless.

But its MSRP is $160. :shepspends:

Thanks!!! Money I got. Get ready to change the thread title.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Woolie Wool posted:

You're...you're actually going to buy that thing, aren't you? :negative:

I mean they did a pretty good job cloning the Intellimouse Explorer's ergonomics with the Sensei but the price they ask for the wireless version is outrageous.

I found a few on ebay for $100.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

I found a few on ebay for $100.

Got one (Steelseries Sensei Wireless) for $80 used on ebay. Hope its exactly like the Intellimouse!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well I like the MS mice so much I ended up buying almost one of every model of steelseries. Decently cheap if you hunt around on ebay.

So are those 'Tiger Gaming' mouse feet any good(compared to the factory feet and other aftermarket feet)? The ones from China that come up in all my ebay searches for mice?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Who the gently caress thought it would be a good idea to map, by default, history-back and history-forward into side mouse buttons? Because the risk-utility ratio of that mapping is just super.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I Own Soulz posted:

I'm honestly confused on your sentiments. Are you saying it's a bad idea? And if so why?

Some mice or a lot of mice have really sensitive side buttons that can easily be bumped when either moving the mouse or grasping it after typing. Hitting back with an uncommitted form in a browser is pretty lovely. And you have to do those actions all the time. Take hand off mouse to type. When done typing, grasp the mouse again to move the cursor to some commit button. When grasping for your mouse there is a significant likelihood that you could grasp it incorrectly and hit the back button losing all your typing. This can be worse when you're at a computer that's not yours and with an unfamiliar mouse.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kefkafloyd posted:

It's been a default behavior since, what, 2001 when Microsoft introduced the first Optical Intellimouse (and Explorer)?

And its kinda been a pain since then. Yeah you can re-bind them but only after a bit of frustration and you can't do poo poo on a system that's not yours. I personally don't use the back action enough to warrant binding it to my mouse. Honestly I feel like they just bound it because there was a button there. I use left, right and middle click. Any more actions on my mouse are too clunky and risky since those would require my 'weak' fingers. I'd rather just use the KB at that point. Maybe if I was a hardcore gamer but those days are behind me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just bought a bunch of backup MS wheel mouse opticals. The Kinzus are just all over the place for me in terms of finding ones in decent shape with the right texture and I've had 1 fail already. Am I one of the only people left on this planet that prefers no side buttons and a relatively simple profile?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You, my friend, are of a dying breed. May as well get used to having forward/back in a web browser under your thumb.

You also might as well get one of the new Intellimouse Nostalgia Edition mice.

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2018/06/26/a-legend-reborn-microsoft-brings-back-the-iconic-mouse-the-classic-intellimouse/

I think I still have the original of that and I stopped using it because it had too many buttons. Forward/back in browse has always been 100% unintentional whenever I had a mouse with those buttons. Right handed mouse I would always move too close to laptop/keyboard and bump my thumb into those buttons causing an unintentional navigation and losing some block of text I had just typed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I bought a whole bunch of these cheap old MS Wheel Mouse Opticals because they're the only mouse my hands like anymore. Took them all apart and cleaned out the 2 decades of human slime in a soap water bath with a toothbrush.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I snagged that Pro Intellimouse. It's a big boi.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I snagged one of those new MS Intellimouse explorer pros. Too big for me even tho I used to have one of the original ones. Imma throw it up on samart but pm me if you want it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a basic wireless mouse. No side buttons. Preferably the classic shape of MS optical mouse/Kinzu. Preferably has dongle.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

demostars posted:

The only option I know about is removing the side buttons from the original G Pro Wireless, and that’s going to last you just as long as a POS wireless mouse from Amazon so unless you need the better sensor in it maybe just get one of those?

Thanks.

I just had a galaxy brain idea. I could just gut an inexpensive wireless mouse and put its guts into an MS optical mouse that my brain is used too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

repiv posted:

that's a pretty well trodden idea, people have put the guts of the g305 into all kinds of mice

Cool. Why that model? Good board layout? Cheap?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the side mouse buttons on mice that have them seem to be mapped by default in windows to 'back' and 'forward'. Can I remap these buttons or even disable them entirely within windows without using additional first party or third party software?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't looked at mouse tech in over a decade. Are pro gamers actually able to use/feel these new features?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I never use a wireless mouse but I just got one for shits. SteelSeries Rival 3. Nothing special. Anyway using it has been kind of annoying because of wake up lag. Is this par of the course for all wireless mice? Do the higher end ones do better? I understand for gaming this isn't an issue but I'm not gaming I'm doing rando productivity work with multiple computers at the same desk so I'm often letting the mouse go to sleep when I go back and forth between my machines.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Picked up cyber Monday M800 Ultra and really like it. Thanks thread.

Also, is a used mint pro x super light 1 for $50 worth it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
No discernible use marks. 3mo old. Not sure I can get much more info than that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whoops wrong thread

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm an idiot. Bought 2 used Superlight1s only to find out I don't like the profile. Replaced the old feet and cleaned them out from the inside while I had the screws exposed. Will put them up on SAmart next week. PM me if interested in the mean time.