Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Instant Stalker posted:

Elecom M-SN1UL Scope Node Laser Sensor Mouse

It's really a novelty item from Japan -it looks pretty cool though. They claim to have the most precise mouse or something along those lines. Their selling point is that the laser is kind of sort of in the general location that a pen tip would be if you were holding a pen ... thus more precise. Also 1600 dpi.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2653

I'm not sure how I would like that. I think Microsoft had a model with non-centered sensor and I remember reading complaints about it.

Instant Stalker posted:

The obvious win on the logitech's is the hyper scrolling, but at the same time, the obvious lose is middle clicking, which I do a lot of in CAD apps ... in windows actually. I really tried to get the hang of middle clicking on the mx but it just flat out doesn't do it well, or consistently, at all.

Going to the ikari mouse for the first time was an interesting twist. It's pretty accurate and all that, HOWEVER you really do instantly miss that hyperscrolling. But, the pinpoint precision and the ability to middle click are gladly accepted.
What did you use as the middle button? I don't think any scroll wheel works well as a button. On my MX1000 and M555b I use the scroll wheel's side tilt as a middle click and on my MX620 I use the small search-button left of the left button, it's pretty much perfect.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Blobfish posted:

Not sure about the other ones, but if you middle-click to open links in tabs a lot, don't get this mouse. For some reason, Logitech decided to poo poo on this one by making the scroll wheel switcher (to switch from free-flow scrolling to click scrolling) analog instead of digital. This means that you have to use the button behind the scroll wheel to switch modes, and you can't configure it as a middle-click like with the MX Revolution. So you have to use the scroll wheel to middle-click, which is annoying as gently caress because it's so touchy and just doesn't feel right. I switched to Apple's Magic Mouse because of this and like it a lot better, but it'd probably be lovely for gaming.
Try using the tilt on the scroll wheel as middle click. But the search-button on MX620 is still the best middle click I've come across.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

For anyone complaining about middle click with scroll wheels try to use some other button. I've thought that scroll wheels suck as middle click ever since I got MX1000 at work, so on that one and my laptop's V555b I use the side scroll as middle click. It has much better feel than pushing down on the actual scroll wheel. But the best middle click I've ever had is on my MX620 at home. I use the "search" button left from the left button as middle click. It's superior to anything I've had before.

Free scroll is pretty much a personal preference and it takes a while to get used to. When I first got the MX620 I switched constantly between free scroll and notched scroll depending on what I was doing, but it's been a long time since I last used notched scroll. Nowadays it feels the same as using a gunked up ball mouse.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Coredump posted:

Well the thing is I’m right handed but I’ve learned to be ambimousetrous to give my right shoulder a break. Using a ambidextrous mouse means the buttons are wrong in my left hand for left and right click and I’m swapping between mice on the fly. Having a dedicated left handed mouse lets the buttons be correct on both mice. It’s just this vertical mouse I got for left handing mousing is not great.

The easy solution is to use at least one mouse that comes with its own management software. I use two Logitechs and I've swapped the buttons on the left mouse in SetPoint. The same works with a Lenove Legion mouse.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Simply buy a ambidextrous Logitech you like and configure it left-handed. That's what I did.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Coredump posted:

Unless mouse software has gotten smarter back when I was first doing this switching the buttons on one mouse affected the other mouse. Although that was through windows control panel and not the mouse's software. I'll look into it and see cuz I don't think that left handed mouse is gonna show.

Works fine with SetPoint. I have old MX620 as my right mouse and M560 as the left mouse with swapped buttons. I use the old SetPoint software because I don't think the newer Unifying support the MX620.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

runawayturtles posted:

The fact that the Basilisk has sideways scroll at all is my biggest complaint with it. It's awkward to use intentionally, but often happens unintentionally while middle-clicking, and screws up whatever I'm trying to do.

edit: Now that I think about it, I'm better off disabling both sides, but middle-click will still feel pretty weird whenever it happens.

Alternative approach, replace the sideways scrolls with middle-click. In my experience tilting the wheel is better middle-click than pressing it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

It still doesn't feel great, especially repeatedly.

My favorite alt-middle click was one of the extra top buttons on the g402 (also on the 502).

That's definitely true and that's why my primary mouse is a decade old MX620 with a similar button and I'm loath to switch.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

repiv posted:

searching for a new mouse has led me to the part of youtube where minecraft children show you how to induce omron doubleclicking on purpose so you can attack faster in pvp :wtc:

maybe that's why companies like logitech still haven't fixed the problem, it's a selling point

Recently people have come up with a new way to play NES Tetris, because on the higher levels it simply becomes difficult to move the falling blocks quick enough to the sides. Your post reminded me of this article.

NES Tetris Players Call It 'Rolling,' And They're Setting New World Records

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Oyster posted:

I quickly needed a mouse that could easily switch between computers, so I picked up a Logitech MX Master 2S. It's fine, but the "change bluetooth profile" button being on the bottom of the mouse is pretty irritating given I press the thing about 50 times a day. I guess it's plenty of wrist twisting exercise as I pick it up to hit the button each time.

On Logitech M720 Triathlon the switch button can be used with a thumb, and it doesn't seem to be too close, I haven't been misclicking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

:psyduck: Do you not use a web browser? Do you not open tabs? Do you laboriously RMB -> Open In New Tab every time? Or do you have a separate nongaming mouse that you switch to when you're not gaming?

The wheel is such a bad button that on my old mouse I set a search-button as a middle click. Biggest reason why I used the MX620 for ages. Since no one seems to make a suitable replacement, nowadays I mostly use Ctrl+left click for new tabs.