Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I got the Razer Abyssus recently--it's their no-prediction model, so it does not try to correct your movements into straight lines--and it is pretty great. The scrollwheel doesn't work everywhere, which drives me nuts, but it's the most accurate/responsive mouse I've had and I love the buttons. I think it's $35 or so on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I don't know much about the G500 specifically, but that sounds like it might be a sensor/surface problem to me. Maybe try different mousepads?

As far as I know, no Deathadders have a side-to-side wheel

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Getting a Kinzu v2 Pro today. Pretty excited since I loved the original Kinzu aside from the sensor issues (also the buttons were a little meh). Let me know if you guys have questions about the mouse! I've used all kinds of other stuff (Abyssus, G300, MX518, G9x, Deathadder 3500, Lachesis, (ugh), Salmosa) so I should have pretty good perspective on it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I can't remember the specifics, but I believe the original Kinzu sensor is regarded as one of the worst offenders in terms of prediction/angle snapping (though maybe only at certain DPIs--not certain about this part).

The new one has Omron switches (the same switches Logitech uses in everything--generally regarded as the best), bigger feet made entirely of Teflon, a different sensor (Pixart PAW3305DK instead of ST Microelectronics VT5366), and a different finish all around (obviously it's subjective whether this is better).

the V2 Pro was also bugtested prior to release by the mouse-obsessed guys at http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice and Steelseries implemented their suggestions.

After the initial few hours of use, I think the Kinzu V2 Pro is my new second favorite behind the Abyssus. The buttons are really stiff at first, but either my hand got used to the amount of pressure you need or they break in a little. No problems with tracking at 800dpi 6/11. Middle mouse button is quite nice, though the whole wheel seems a little loose in the housing so I hope it doesn't gradually get looser.

The Abyssus still has the killer combination of the best sensor in existence (for my money), super light weight (it's only 6g lighter than the Kinzu, but feels lighter in use for some reason), and the flexibility of the hardware switch for DPI + a driver sensitivity scale + zero acceleration. But the new Kinzu feels a lot more sturdy and is probably less ergonomically controversial for most people

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
For me, claw is all about being able to move the mouse with the least wrist/hand tension possible. Using a lightweight mouse like the Abyssus, Deathadder, or Kinzu, I can exert very little effort to move the mouse in general but especially with my arm from the elbow down. I also use a pretty low sensitivity (800-1000 dpi depending on available settings) so that range of motion is important.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Has there been any update on when the G100s (or any of the new ones, for that matter) will be shipping in the US? It feels weird to say I preordered a mouse but I preordered the hell out of the G100s when I saw that it was possible to do so (from Logitech's site, no less)

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Sadly still no sign of shipping from Logitech on my G100s :( Amazon now has had them in stock for days. Didn't realize canceling from Logitech would require a phone call during business hours M-F or I probably wouldn't have bothered ordering from there :\

Edit: It finally shipped, yay

emdash fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 10, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Well my G100s is here and it's definitely right up there with the Abyssus (my favorite mouse ever). Kudos to Logitech for this one, it's excellent. A little disappointed at the lack of 1000Hz polling in LGS (bug or intended?) but I love the feel, buttons have excellent snap to them (still a little on the fence about middle mouse but it's not bad), and the weighting is really good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dogen posted:

LGS can do it but that mouse doesn't support it.

Isn't it the case that over 250-500 you really can't tell the difference?

I probably couldn't tell a difference between 500 and 1000 in a blind test. I'm just surprised a new gaming mouse in 2013 doesn't have 1000Hz polling. But it's no big deal, I love it anyway

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

dox posted:

Can anyone explain why there is such a stark difference in using my G500 between Windows 7 and OS X (Mountain Lion)? Is it the lack of mouse accel in OS X? I've installed drivers on the Mac side, but it just feels so weird... maybe I should post this in the Mac thread, but I figured someone here would have an idea.

OSX mouse acceleration is completely wonky. There's shitloads of stuff out there about it:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=152576
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=194668
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/decelerate/id449448909?mt=12

you'll probably have to try a few things to see what you like. I'd try the second link first, that one claims to replicate Windows mouse feel in OSX.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The only good wheel ever is the one in the Razer Abyssus. Every wheel should be that wheel

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Copper Vein posted:

^^^^^^
Naw. Zowie EC1 & EC2 wheels are more worthy of hyperbole.

Granted, I haven't used those, so I can't speak to them. But the Abyssus feels most like a normal mouse button out of anything I've used, while still having a very nice notchy/solid feel when scrolling

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Mouse settings on a server is extremely useful for net cafes and tournament settings

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kerpal posted:

You're telling me people bring their own mice to net cafes and tournaments? I still think it's dumb to require an internet connection and the creation of an account to modify settings for peripheral device. It's too much.

Well particularly at tournaments where money is at stake, people want to play with the settings and hardware they're most comfortable with--same way people at fighting game tournaments bring their own controller/stick. At a net cafe it could be the same reason and/or paranoia about germs. Much of Razer's marketing is geared toward that kind of competitive gaming market, and they also sponsor several competitive gaming teams that they provide with mice/keyboards/headsets, so universally available personal settings are pretty pertinent to their customers.

Storing the settings in the device is another option, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside for some reason. I had a Steelseries with that option. It was nice but it's also somewhat important to have visual confirmation that the correct settings are in place, which is something that so far only software can really provide.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Any reason you can't just use a USB extension cable? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5431&seq=1&format=2

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

something original posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation for high quality small mice, preferably wired? I'm talking about tiny "laptop travel mouse" sort of thing. I use the mouse with the tip of my fingers so it has to be very small and very light. Right now I'm using a very cheap one but it's not good.

Zowie Mico is the smallest good one I know of, unless you want something like a logitech VX Nano (not sure if that's still in production) but the latter is wireless.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Always loved my RatPadz plastic mousepad. I'm sure a lot of stuff has come out since I got it years ago though. Razer Goliathus all the way for cloth.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's a vocal minority. For one thing almost none of their mice cost more than $100 (yes I know he was talking about the Mamba, but the next post was talking about Razer in general), for another most people have probably never had one break and only those that have are going to post about it on message boards.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So what's the best place to get a Zowie FK in the US right now?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Goo can you guys make a mouse with the exact shape of the M705 but with a 3090 sensor, wired, and with no weight inside? I think I'd die and go to mouse heaven

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Zowie fk owners, did your right-click and left - click sound/feel different initially? I don't mind it too much, but I'm curious

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That's the most extreme view I've ever seen on that topic, jesus

I like when software tells me about updates and I like LGS, quite a bit in fact. Keep making good software Logitech

emdash fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 8, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Not sure how anyone is surprised by anything in a 4chan mouse infographic.

If you feel like you are sensitive to mouse movement/might care about the inferior characteristics of laser mice, the only way to figure out if this poo poo matters to you is to try a mouse with the Avago 3090 sensor (for instance) back to back with one that has the ADNS9500. Just see which one you like more. I can't stand laser mice personally but there are tons of people who will never care

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's really tough to rule out people noticing tiny variations in mouse response. I mean I can tell the difference between a laggy monitor and a responsive one in the first few seconds of using a computer, feel the difference between 1- and 3-frame render-ahead in video drivers, feel the mouse lag from vsync very acutely, etc. When I play games with a G9x it's harder to click on things accurately (I love the shape of that mouse so I've tried this many times, using the same DPI and report rate as I was using with optical, sometimes for a month or more. I always end up going back to 3090-based mice because the G9x feels wrong). It's not like audiophiles where people claim to notice their superior HDMI cable or whatever; these are precision instruments with quantifiable differences in engineering.

But at the same time I don't try to tell people they're using the wrong mouse. One of my most skilled friends uses a random Dell optical mouse with no adjustments. It's definitely mostly about what you're used to. I guess I just got used to Avago optical sensors

emdash fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 10, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
You probably don't need the extra DPI (i mean maybe you're one of very few people that actually uses above 3600) and optical is generally more reliable/accurate than laser

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I guess longer vertically than horizontally, with some kind of indentation at the bottom so that the orientation makes a difference

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
have you tried it on more than one surface?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ShaneB posted:

If I still have a perfectly functional MX518, is there some mouse out there that's like... "better" in some way? Like higher precision, feels better in the hand, somehow more functional?

Not really, you could get a G400/G400s but if you're happy with what you've got you may as well keep it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ruin Completely posted:

I am kinda looking at new mice, can't decide what I want. I have big hands and do lots of face shooting, my sensitivity is really low and my mouse will be getting thrown around a colossal sized mouse pad. Something bigger and a bit heavier would be good, and I'd like to not spend more than $50. The ones I'm looking between:

-SteelSeries sensei
-Steelseries rival
-Corsair raptor m40
-Coolermaster storm havok
-Coolermaster storm recon

The shape and size on a lot of these look pretty nice. If nitpicking helps, I'm less keen on the Raptor m40 and CM Recon because I don't like red led's, but I could probably live with it if it's a nice mouse.

Zowie EC2/EC1 are pretty much expressly designed for your needs

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
When I saw 12k DPI I definitely assumed laser. Now I have to get one...my peripheral addiction is unstoppable

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Got a G502. It's really nice. Taking some getting used to grip-wise but definitely one of the best sensors I've used and the right- and left-clicks are just exquisite

second day: grip issues are pretty much over, I love this mouse. the only thing i have qualms with is that the wheel wobbles around in freewheel mode so I can't leave it like that all the time.

emdash fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 16, 2014

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Agreed posted:

Oh my stars and garters, is that released now or what? My LGS says my mouse is up to date but I can't change the brightness, just tell it to turn on/off (either all the time, or after X units of time) and also there's some option for game related but I haven't ever used that so I dunno what it does, actually.

Thanks for any info you can relate, I appreciate the adjustable brightness a great deal though at the moment I don't know how to get it/use it. Also, please tell me it doesn't have a solid shot of bricking my mouse when updating, as right now I'm running without a backup and it doesn't seem to have any issues otherwise :ohdear:

Download the july 10 LGS release if you haven't. When I started it up after installing that, it instantly told me I needed a firmware update for the mouse

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
My G402 came from Logitech pre-order. Really nice mouse, pretty much what it says on the tin in terms of "lighter g502." I like it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is anyone enjoying the G302? I got one because I'm a consumer whore, but I can't figure out how the hell you're supposed to hold it. G100s and G402 seem superior in every ergonomic regard (though I realize this is potentially subjective)

Only thing I can figure is that it might work better if I used like 1800dpi, but I don't think I can :(

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i realize the g502 isn't *that* close to the g9x shape, but i feel like that model is close enough in purpose that another product wouldn't be differentiated enough. and we should all be glad for the sensor in the g502 and pray that it would take the place of any laser junk in any future g9* model

i loved the g9x and would love to have that form factor back, but that sensor was terrible terrible terrible

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

weights about 6g less than the G502

god damnit, i'd actually love to have that

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
my g502 started double-clicking on the left mouse button. should i bother trying to fix it or just contact Logitech?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
s/he probably doesn't want to go through massdrop since they are, i guess, completely mouseless at the moment. but those are good recs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://techreport.com/news/29903/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-beckons-gamers-to-cut-the-cord g900 announced

g502 sensor (i guess, it's 12,000dpi); wireless/wired modes; ambidextrous shape; lighter than g502 by 14g (!); 32 hrs battery life if the LEDs are turned off; hollow scroll wheel

$150 though. I just hope a g503 of sorts is coming. Incorporate these g900 weight-saving techniques and i'll buy one

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 24, 2016