Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

strong bird posted:

I need a new mouse

Everyone is switching to joysticks, now is your chance to :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Do you guys buy/use mousepads anymore?

I like the huge pads that also go under the keyboard. I got this one a few months back and it is good. I like that it has finished edges, but I've had an X-trac ripper XXL at work for a few years and the edges aren't torn up or anything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sam Hall posted:

There's basically no such thing as a mouse that can withstand a lot of any kind of clicking. Logitech, Steelseries, Razer: they all buy the same cheapest switches possible from the same supplier as whoever the hell makes your basic nine dollar Microcenter special, so just buy a big pile of those instead so you're only throwing out $12 worth of mice a year instead of $150.

Huh, I just noticed Logitech's started dropping their warranty period from 3 years to 1 on their newer mice. Guess that's one solution.

I find it hard to believe that 1) any mouse uses the cheapest switches, because the cheapest switches are so crap the mouse would last like a week or 2) that there isn't a mouse company using nice switches that are rated for millions of clicks.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Gave my old G500 work mouse to a coworker, so I could have an excuse to get a Naos 7000. Hope the LOD is small enough for my extreme office mousing. ;)

e: I'm using the mouse that came with an HP Stream Mini right now and it is really small and uncomfortable

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 9, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I have a razer boomslang that is still working, but I can't really hang with the shape of it anymore. That thing is a tank. Had a copperhead from a few years ago (I think that was the name) that stopped working after a few months.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

Gave my old G500 work mouse to a coworker, so I could have an excuse to get a Naos 7000. Hope the LOD is small enough for my extreme office mousing. ;)

So I have the 7000. The shape is great, but I'm not sure about the switches. M2 feels nice and crisp but M1 sounds hollow and feels muddy. The sound of M1 is CHaaa-chuuunk and M2 is cli-ICK!.

Is this typical? Will clicking it a bunch maybe smooth things out? I feel like it should be better than it is for the money, so I think I will exchange it, but I need to decide if I'm going to get another naos or not.

e: Minor, but I wouldn't mind if this mouse weighed another 50g.

e2: The pinky shelf could stand to be a touch longer

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 11, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What should I be looking at for alternatives to the Naos 7000? Palm-grip all the way. Something just a bit larger than the naos would be nice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I decided to exchange the Mionix for another of the same. If the buttons on the replacement don't feel right, I'll try a G502. I wish the 502 didn't look so much like a spaceship or I would just order one now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Constipated posted:

So what kind of mouse does everyone prefer for fps games? I'm using some cheap 6 year old Kensington mouse, and I think its time for an upgrade.. I would prefer corded, but wireless is fine too.

The biggest thing is how much you like the shape of the mouse. How do you (want to) grip the mouse?

This chart show grip types, but the mouse options are a bit out of date:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I got the replacement Naos 7000 after some weather delay. M1 click is better than the last one, but still a bit clunky. I'm going to keep it, but I am a bit disappointed that this isn't the perfect mouse.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Looking through those pics made me realize I am more of a claw or maybe claw-palm hybrid grip than a straight palm grip.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Can anyone recommend a high quality (gaming/general use) mousepad?
More specifically: It should be small to medium in size, white, and have no logos or markings.

That is harder than I thought. All I can find that match your criteria are generic 'blank' mousepads intended for printing, and they don't scream 'quality' but maybe they aren't bad?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Programmable rumble sounds pretty cool if gamesense ends up supporting games I care about.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I have a cheap Anker mouse that has started double clicking when I press M1. Is there a common fix for this? I was thinking about dousing the switch it in deox-it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I bought it on Amazon, never registered the product, and have none of the packaging - I had kind of assumed filing a claim would be impossible.

Afaik, in the US you cannot be denied warranty coverage for failing to register the product. Registering is just a way for them to collect your contact info.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

They are going to sell a million of those things.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You'll look pretty fly with this gold one

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I've got one and it is pretty nice, especially for the price. I loaned it to my roommate and he seems to like it.

e: it's actually a different model with less side buttons, but it has the same body

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Take it apart enough that you can rinse off the beer from the PCB, and put it in a ziplock with a bunch of rice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Good to know about the rice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chuu posted:

So what's the go-to gaming mousepad these days? After literally 11 years of use my Thunder8 is completely worn out -- as in it's so smooth the mouse actually wants to stick to it. I was tempted to just buy another one, but curious what's changed in the last decade.

I like the big ones that I can put my keyboard on. Perixx DX-1000XXL is what I have at home. At work I have a similar pad from steelseries.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

KingShiro posted:

If it's the standard 3 years since date of purchase, then I'm SOL because I did buy it in June 2013

Logitech can be pretty nice about that kind of thing, might as well give it a try.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Goo posted:

The world's most popular non-Logitech gaming mouse
This wording makes me think the comparison mouse is going to be a dell pack-in mouse or something. "Sure I game with it, I play lots of spider solitaire"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'd like to know why none of those times are sub millisecond. Delay from USB & the PC's USB stack? Debouncing? I guess I'm too focused on the embedded world, but 1mS seems like a pretty long time. Not long at all in human reaction terms, of course.

e: My new mouse design won't use USB, it will have a dedicated PCIe card plug into a memory slot.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 30, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mionix Naos 7000 Mini 'Review'

I've had my Mionix Naos 7000 for 1 year 1 month. I just checked the amazon order history and apparently I had to exchange the first one immediately. I can't remember why. Since then, the coating on the pinky-rest came off when I wiped it with an alcohol wipe. The left click started missing clicks unless I click purposefully solidly. And now, middle click requires a very strong press to work, basically the same as left click but worse. This mouse has been pretty disappointing. Meanwhile, the logitech G500(i think?) I took to work after I got the Naos is still doing great on something like year 10 of it's life.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 3, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

As far as I can tell, the difference is the thickness. QcK Mini, QcK, and QcK+ are 2mm thick; QcK XXL is 4mm thick; and QcK Mass and QcK Heavy are 6mm thick.

As to what that means for your mousing enjoyment, no clue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Did logitech get purchased recently? It seems like lately I've been hearing about bad customer service, which used to be one of their huge positives. And now this, which sounds pretty nasty if the reddit narrative is right.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is $50 for a MX Master (not 2S) a good deal?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

In that case, amazon has the stone colored MX Master for $49.99

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yes, but probably not anytime in the near future.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Listerine posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a hard mouse pad?

Oh hey you just made me remember I have an original Ratpadz(tm). (You don't want it, it is like 3/8" thick)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You'd think there would be a market for a sealed switch.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I haven't used one but I dig that it looks like a payphone keypad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Seems like we've got the tech for a mousepad that looks at your hand so you don't have to hold anything, or could hold anything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

They have poo poo programmers on the job OP.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My mom currently uses a little Microsoft wireless mouse that takes AA batteries. She's complaining that it eats batteries a lot quicker than it once did. What should I recommend for her? Something that can USB charge would probably be OK, AAs would be fine too as long as they last for more than a month.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

emdash posted:

one of those Logitech Marathon things that goes up to 3 years on two AAs, probably https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/m705

little expensive for a mom mouse, i guess

It's on amazon for half that price, that should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M705-Wireless-Marathon-Mouse/dp/B003TG75EG/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This thread just isn't equipped to deal with "Should I buy a $150 mouse?"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Trying to get rid of some old stuff, anyone interested in any of these? I'll send for cost of shipping.

Top to botton:
Microsoft IntelliMouse Serial and PS2 Compatible 63618-577 (cord is PS2, if there is an adapter to serial I probably don't have it)
Dell marked on the top, logitech marks on the back; 851841-1000
Microsoft Home Mouse Serial 61402 (serial only but it looks good imo, love those angled button tops)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

An XBOX 360 wired controller? Or do you want it to be like the original xbox controller?

holy poo poo, amazon wants $90 for the microsoft wired version, a few years ago they were 30