Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have a good suggestion for a mousepad? My old intel hard top one is dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

eighty8 posted:

So I just picked up a MX Master. It is terrible so far on a brand new mackbook pro. The Unifying connector doesn't even seem to be detected. Regardless of that though, it is incredibly laggy on bluetooth. Completely unusable.

I am going to try it again on my PC, but this mac issue is almost enough to just make me return it outright. Are there some secrets to bluetooth performance I am just not aware of? My apple mouse never had this problem.

EDIT: Tried it on the PC, worked better than on the mac, but still pretty poorly. I can't justify the $100.00 for a mouse that performs like that, so back to the shop it goes.

That is weird. Every Logitech mouse I have ever used on my MacBook Air works with the same Unifying Connector with no problems. I don't even have the Logitech software installed. I have used a MX Master and a M325 (which is the best travel mouse I have ever used). I would try other ports on the MacBook, make sure the Master is set to use the Unifying Connector not Bluetooth and try it on a different machine. You might have a bum adaptor or mouse if all of the above doesn't work.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Deadly Hume posted:

Same here.

After a while the supplied rechargeable battery on my Performance MX started holding less and less charge and rather than getting a new rechargeable, I just went back to using cheap alkalines (I go through one every 7-10 days) and load up a new one when it runs out.

Now since the Master doesn't use AA batteries, I am curious how many charge cycles it would take before it starts crapping out.

Just antidotal but my MX Revolution I have had since the day they were released almost a decade ago and it's battery is still going strong. Actually the only bit of anything I have had to do to it was open it up a few months ago to clean it out and hit the switches with some Deoxit. It is back to working like new again.

The Master I haven't put through it's paces as much since I am not using it on my main machine but it feels the same sort of build quality. I haven't had to charge it yet after a month plus which is a good thing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Josh Lyman posted:

Just found my old Ratpadz GS in storage. It seems to have more friction than I remember.

From what I can tell, have people and companies generally moved to cloth mousepads for less wear on your mouse's feet?

That's what I have noticed. I can't stand cloth mousepads myself.

Someone linked a place where you could buy giant sheets of teflon for a mousing surface years ago. I wish I could find it again, I'd just make the entire right side of my desk a mousepad and be done with it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Goo posted:

The sales figures for illuminated vs non-illuminated mice are very clear. I do what I can to make sure that "off" is always an option as a result.

Keyboards you want illuminated, mice on the other hand... I am not entirely sure what the point of it is.

I think it is like LED fans and cases with windows in them. I think there is/was a small group of people who wants them which made the entire industry make them on everything. It has gotten to the point where it is next to impossible to find a case without that stuff that doesn't look gaudy. I think that tide is finally starting to turn a little bit but it has been a good 5 years or so since that was in vogue for things to change.

I know myself I have no desire to have lights all over everything on my computer. Hell, the status LEDs on my Das Keyboard was far too bright for my liking to which I had to put some sticky tack over it to not illuminate my ceilings at night.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Goo posted:

The real head-scratching stuff starts when people earnestly complain that your headsets don't have lights on them.

Yeah, I don't have a answer for that one.

Personally, and I would like to think that a majority of PC users in general are like this, I want something that is built well and looks nice without being gaudy. I have had a MX Revolution for years and recently got a MX Master. I'd love to have something with that kind of styling with a few more buttons and customization for gaming. I think the biggest turnoff to a lot of "gamer" PC gear is it looks like a prop from a bad Sci-Fi movie. I know there is a fanbase for that kind of stuff just like there is a fanbase of people who cut off their mufflers and put light kits on their cars. I'm more the one that would want a BMW than a Honda.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Does anyone make hard mouse pads anymore? I have a SteelSeries 9HD which I love now but I would love to have something larger. Seems like everything being made now, ever by SteelSeries are soft fabric pads which I have never liked.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

chippy posted:

I just bought a G502 and I also ordered Logitech's hard pad to replace my very old and worn SteelSeries 9HD. So, I'll report back when they both arrive.

Cool, although it looks like the Logitech pad is about the same size. I'd like something about 2x larger than the 9HD.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Goo posted:

Yeah, the shipping costs would be prohibitive and no store would actually let us put it on their shelves if it were bigger. As it is, the G440 normally gets relegated to lying flat on the bottom shelf.

I figured it would be a niche product in general I just figured someone would have something for professionals on sale online only at least. About 95% of the time my 9HD is fine it is just that 5% of the time normally when I am working on a project that the extra mouse area would come in handy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Hikaki posted:

Just buy some deoxit and spray into your switches if you feel like they're going out. Might not help if the switch is really dead but I've fixed chattering problems this way before.

That is what I did with my MX Revolution. It went back to feeling like new again. I can't believe someone is wearing out switches in mice that quickly needing a replacement in a year or two. They likely just need cleaned.

It looks like if the switches ever so go out on it there are easy enough to replace as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

angelklaine posted:

All the mouse I buy have the same issue... they all start double clicking at some point. What causes this?

Either the switch/spring needs to be readjusted and/or needs to be cleaned. There are tutorials for both multiple places online. I highly recommend to get some Deoxit and hit the switches on your mouse with it once a year or so. It seriously brings them back to working like new.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

Late to this thread and only read the last few pages, but is there a recomended "go to" for a laptop/travel mouse with a good optical sensor that preferebly doesn't cost $50? 3 button with a scrool wheel would be nice.

Personally I have a Logitech m325 and I am quite happy with it. Has everything you could want in a laptop/travel mouse and you an get them for about 20 bucks. As a plus on the single AA battery it seems to last forever.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the recomendation. Not sure if you can answer this, but have you ever tried the mouse on a uniform color? I sometimes use the laptop in bed and use the mouse either on the bedspread or sheets and sometimes my cheapo Amazon special Permixx I presently use "hangs" due to, I presume, the uniform color of what it's going over (IE: White sheets)

I don't have any white sheets to try it on but the grey sheets I have it works like a charm. YMMV though. Only thing it won't work on is glass/super reflective surfaces in my experience.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

The G602 works well enough that I'd never consider going back to a wired mouse

I have had wireless mice for about a decade now and haven't noticed a problem with them. I know so real early models had some issues but any of the Logitech models I have ever used I couldn't tell between wired or wireless.

Let's be honest there isn't much data being transferred between the mouse and the computer so it isn't hard to have a super low latency connection there. Most of the work is done on the actual mouse itself for the most part.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

El Scotch posted:

G900, anyone?

e: Logitech asked OCN to remove the pictures from their site, so suggests authentic pictures.

That looks like the most uncomfortable thing ever made. It will likely sell millions then.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Geirskogul posted:

Really wish the MX Master was going to usher in a new era of non-:pcgaming: products.

Same. Same with PC Cases I think there is a market out there for classy looking hardware out there for people who don't want their computers to look like extras from Fast and the Furious movies. Try looking for a case without a window and lights, it is not easy to find something decent anymore. I have a Master and like it alot but I still like my MX Revolution more. I wish Logitech would do some minor hardware upgrades to that (new wireless tech/BT, newer sensor) and rerelease it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

I think the MX Master has the edge over the MX Revo if only because you can charge and use it at the same time. I loved my MX Revo so much (the shape and back-forward buttons were perfection) but I actually prefer the horizontal roller versus the push left-right of the wheel. But if I could buy brand new MX Revos, I would still do it.

Yeah the back/forward buttons on the Master is what causes me to dislike using it. I like the roller a lot better, but the wheel on the Revo is better in every other aspect. The Revo wheel is far and awhile the best mouse wheel I have ever touched, I have no idea why Logitech has moved away from it. I also miss the actual button that I can use as my third button on the top instead of the manual shift button.

I'd really like play and charge on it as well, although I have never had much issue with battery life with my Revo going on ten years now. I throw it on the charge once every 4 or 5 days and it is good to go.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

Are you talking about the button positioned slightly behind the wheel on the Master? I also use that button as an auxiliary click, it's configurable in Options. You don't have to use it as unlock. I've been using it for Exposé on a mac ever since I got it. I never use manual unlock, always auto-clutch. Pressing the wheel also still acts as a true middle click.

Ever since Options added per-application settings back the MX Revo has been sitting in a desk drawer. Unfortunately mine developed problems where the charging cradle just would not charge it correctly and I didn't really have the wherewithal to fix it. The wheel also didn't free-spin correctly anymore after eight years of hard daily usage so it had to be retired.

Is it now? I know when I first got it you couldn't configure it in the options. It might get me to start using it a little more then.

As for the Revo issues, first get a Deoxit Pen and use it to clean the contacts on both the mouse and on the cradle. That eliminated every single charging issue I had with it and haven't had a single issue since for about a year now.

The second thing to do is take the mouse apart (it is surprisingly very easy, there is a really good video on YouTube explaining it) and blow out all the crust that has built up in it. I also cleaned my wheel really well and used some Deoxit spray on the switches. After putting it back together and for maybe 20 minutes of work the thing works as good if not better than it did when I got it. I was having some double click issues and the same mouse wheel getting stuck issue but after cleaning it all went away.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

The blue circles are assignable buttons, and they all have the same level of assignability in terms of functions. After the per-app settings patch, I find it to be about equal to the MX Revo in terms of button customization.

Also, I did clean the contacts, but the issue I'm betting is the battery connection (and the fact that the battery is just shot) and I just haven't felt like opening it up since the MX Master has basically succeeded it for me. I should fix it and sell it.

Good to know. I just messed with it and it is a lot better now. Still can't get used to the forward/back buttons though.

If the battery is shot a replacement is less than :10bux: on EBay and is literally unplug the old one and plug the new one in. It is as easy as it gets.

My Revo is just about perfect now except for the rubber on the thumb rest has rubbed off where my thumb sits. I could get a replacement but who cares really. I wish I could make the dongle smaller though, I haven't figured out a good way to do that and it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out how the Logitech wireless standards work to make a replacement.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wasabi the J posted:

Either you can get it with a tiny little logo in the corner: https://amzn.com/B00WY1BDZE

Or you can spend nearly forty bucks (or eurodollars ??) for a custom thing: http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/panoramic-desk-pad-36-x-11

Nevermind, found a blank one, but good luck if the thing actually comes to you without a logo somewhere: https://amzn.com/B014OOWMHQ

I got this one about 6 months ago now. No logos and pretty good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199GE7RC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Lord Bude posted:

The best led colour is turning all the lights off.

Amen. I don’t understand why every manufacturer feels like everything “gamer” needs to look like a rejected Star Wars prop and be covered in RGB lights.

My MX Revolution started having battery problems last week and I am ending up just refurbishing it since I can’t get anything with the same features that isn’t covered with lights and/or looks silly.

I am a man in my mid thirties. I don’t want or need that kind of stuff. I want my computer to look at least semi-professional. Don’t even get me started on trying to find a nice case without a loving window in it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kefkafloyd posted:

Buy an MX Master (Mark 1 or Mark 2), it's the natural replacement for the MX Revo. It is not covered in lights and doesn't look silly.

As far as cases without windows, Fractal Design makes many practical, good-looking cases that do not have windows.

I have a MX Master and while it is close they made some very weird changes to it and while it isn't a awful mouse it is a lot worse than the Revo (basically everything around your thumb, the mouse wheel). It is nice to have if you have a Mac due to it having built in bluetooth and the multiple profiles.

I got a Fractal for my server and I agree is a fantastic looking and well made case. I got a NZXT H440 without a window for my new desktop build which I am pretty pleased with as well. Just a shame that there isn't more stuff like that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

isndl posted:

Cloth mats are largely interchangeable, just get whatever one you like in the size/price range you prefer. If that means custom print with anime titties then whatever floats your boat.

I don't think it's possible for a mat to be 'too fast' unless your mouse cannot track properly on that surface, and modern mice seem to be pretty reliable in that regard as far as I've noticed.

Thickness and quality is very important and different with cloth mats, especially the huge ones. There are a bunch out there that are too thin and end up having a weird surface. There are also a ton out there at all price ranges that had shoddy materials, stitching and craftsmanship.

I did some research a couple of years ago and got one of these and I have been incredibly impressed with it. It has no logos or anything on it, everything is made incredibly well and it has been almost 4 years now and it still looks practically brand new. I wash it in the sink with some soap and water every few months and let it dry for an hour or two.

I have a hard mat, an old Steelseries XXL hard mat, on top of it which I use a good 90% of the time but when I need the extra surface it works great.