Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anyone have any experience with the Asus ROG Gladius? Looks like it's got the Razer DeathAdder form factor I like with the bonus of not having to deal with Razer's horrible build quality or buggy synapse software.

And from their marketing it looks like it might(?) actually be easy to replace/service the switches:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nftyw posted:

I think there is a mouse out there that is designed to let you easily replace the switches without tools or anything, not sure how it was received though.

Might be the ROG Gladius I asked about earlier; a couple people replied positively and it does have the Deathadder form factor: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=164&perpage=40#post452921218

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Travic posted:

I'm thinking I need a new mouse. I love my Razer Deathadder, but I didn't know Razer was apparently a terrible manufacturer when I bought it. Is there anything similar out there that is just as good for games, but actually made well? I've taken a liking to the Zowie and Mionix mice mentioned in the thread.

I saw a lot of recommendations for the Logitech g502 , but it's too angular and busy for me. I just need the scroll wheel, the two thumb buttons, and good accuracy/polling rates.

You might consider the ASUS ROG Gladius if you really like the Deathadder form factor.

I'm also looking for alternatives to a left-handed Deathadder so if anyone can recommend anything with that form factor, please do!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 16, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Link? I'm seeing it at $56

looks like it's over

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

i know but the hardware is good and nothing else fits my hand quite right :(

Have you tried the ASUS ROG Gladius? Very similar form factor.

Sidenote: I wish there existed a left-handed one. Razer's left-handed Deathadder is a few generations old and the middle click is more annoying than the more recent versions.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BusinessWallet posted:

I have a Deathadder 3.5G and I like the form factor of it, but I hate how everything is controlled by the software. When Windows starts, Synapse takes a minute or two to load my settings so the mouse is flying around wildly until that happens. Ideally looking for something with a similar form factor and layout, but with more hardware support for DPI adjustability.

Might consider the ASUS ROG Gladius: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Gaming-Mouse-ROG-Gladius/dp/B00P2PL4NK/

It has a software setup thing, but changes get saved to flash memory on the mouse. Similar form factor.

And thanks to checking in response to your post I've learned that they made a sequel with some changes including an extra DPI button on the side; anyone check that one out yet? https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Gladius-II-Optical-Ergonomic/dp/B06XT4B2B9/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Q8ee posted:

what does a mouse bungee do?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=mouse+bungee

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I can also confirm that the allsop wrist assist is awesome.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

syscall girl posted:

I will now use my 99.99 logitech MX to submit this post

I only paid as much because I was ready to take it back to BB instead of Amazon who had it much cheaper

drat thing is still here

Hope you took advantage of their price match policy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Big fan of these as well. They shouldn't really be too much money. I don't think I paid more than $15 or so.

Currently $15: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-MM300-Anti-Fray-Extended/dp/B01798VS4C/

I bought it the other week but haven't yet tried it out because it smelled like car tires right out of the box. After some airing out it should hopefully be fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

A bunch of "cheapo" options from China are actually real good. Sorry he tried to save you a buck or two.

really good at what? :confused:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mayne posted:

At being a cheap mouse for everyday use.

well if that's their only condition, I guess that's fine. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Goliathus is only about 11" deep, it's what I was using before. Or 13 for the Large, but then i lose the width.

If the depth requirement is a little flexible, the Corsair MM300 is 36.61" x 11.80" with a stitched edge.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

So, about a year ago, I bought a Razer Chroma. I actually really, really like it, except it's loving falling apart before a year's out. The adhesive rubber pads on the bottom scraped off on my pretty good mousepad fast, and just this week, the scroll wheel has stopped physically registering clicks. Razer's tech support suggested that I reinstall their software- well, I'm a bit baffled as to why that would fix what is pretty obviously a hardware issue, but fine! Nope, that didn't work, so I go back to tech support telling them it didn't work and that I have a hardware issue with the scroll wheel. I get back three more suggestions- all of which are related to their synapse software. :saddowns: Fed up, I disassemble the mouse myself, voiding the warranty, and confirm that yep, the microswitch under the scroll wheel is physically broken and not registering clicks. Great.

Anyone have any suggestions for a mouse comparable to the Chroma in weight/features, but without me having to deal with the chucklefucks at Razer? I was looking at the steelseries rival 310, but I'm worried that it's a little on the light side and might be a little physically small, since my hands are ginormous.

I've always found it really easy to start an RMA with Razer, though it's also true that I've had to do so with nearly every single mouse I purchased from them (the exception was one which failed a month out of warranty).

I don't buy Razer mice any longer.

I assume you were talking about the Deathadder (Chroma just means its LEDs have colors) - you might consider the ASUS ROG Gladius or the Logitech G403, which have a similar form factor. I like the ASUS one because most of the switches (and the feet) are user-servicable, and it comes with spare switches:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

paid money to post posted:

I'm starting to get old and my wrists are starting to hurt. I'm looking at the ergonomic 3M mice that resemble a joy stick. They seem more desirable than the other "neutral grip" or side-held mice, since I'll have to pinch my hand like a lobster claw and most likely be in more pain. What are some of the better ergonomic mice out there?

Not a mouse but I can recommend the Allsop Wrist Assist as a fantastic replacement for a wrist pad. Unlike wrist pads, it slides with your arm so it doesn't put extra strain on your wrist.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

suggestion for dealing with Razer:

don't.

fixed that for you

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IAmKale posted:

should I just resign myself to having to buy a replacement mouse every couple of years?

Seems the way things are headed, if not already are. Or try to get one with easily-user-serviceable switches.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

AgentCow007 posted:

I can vouch for SteelSeries being the same way. I end up replacing every 11-18 months. It's bullshit, but the Sensei is the only thing I can find similar in shape to old Intellimouse Explorers (that lasted for a good 5-7 years each). Microsoft made good hardware. RIP

Which Explorer? I assume you're talking about a different one since the Sensei is ambidextrous, but I was a big fan of the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0; when it disappeared I suffered through Razer Deathadders that'd invariably fail around the end of the warranty period just because they felt pretty similar. The ASUS ROG Gladius is pretty similar, too, and I heard the Logitech G403 was similar but when I tried it something about that one just felt off to me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Zowie make some good ambidextrous mice. Also Microsoft recently rereleased the intellimouse. Don’t know if it’s as good as it used to be though.

I heard the sensor they used was exceptionally bad. :(

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Audax posted:

Just a quick note, but I picked up the CoolerMaster MM531 last night. If you like the EC series but actually want to buy something from a company that gives a poo poo about build quality and a decent grip coating, grab this thing. I'm very impressed.

How are the rubber grips on the side?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like the G502 Proteus Spectrum is on sale at Walmart + Amazon for $38.75

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-G502-Proteus-Spectrum-RGB-Turntable-Gaming-Mouse/153731886

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Shifting-Personalized-Programmable/dp/B019OB663A

I saw a few complaints in the reviews about the scroll wheel being a little more difficult than usual to click down or the scroll wheel rattling when moving the mouse; any truth to that?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Appoda posted:

My desk with its keyboard tray doesn't leave much room for a mouse after a full size keyboard, so I have a bad habit of using my wrist for everything. I don't really notice any strain, but I imagine it's not great in the long run. At some point I plan to replace the desk and try to get used to a much lower dpi; my mouse is currently sensitive enough to go between three screens without picking it up. :v:

This is a pain in the rear end to try to switch from. Not that I know from personal experience or anything... :ninja:

Grab an Allsop Wrist Assist if you can; it should help. Available at Walmart.com and Amazon if you're in the US.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anyone have experience with Corsair HyperX mice? I found one named the HyperX Pulsefire FPS Pro that looks like it has a similar form factor to the Razer Deathadder + Asus ROG Gladius. It uses the Pixart 3389 sensor.

Amazon Warehouse also has a bunch of cheap ones which are eligible for the extra-20% off sale going on right now, works out to roughly $25 or less: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07FLP9391/?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

edit: Ordered one of the used-like new for $25.39 after discount and taxes; will report back when I eventually receive/test it.

edit 2: HyperX Pulsefire FPS Pro trip report: The software is lacking; the lighting is only one zone (scroll wheel + logo) which is less than ideal, but I could've dealt with that if you could dim the lights somehow, which you can't configure - though the mouse seems perfectly capable of it since it fades the lights in/out when you change DPI settings. Perhaps a later software version will address this.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 26, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Appoda posted:

Can confirm - as someone with no space, my aim is for poo poo. Keyboard trays just kinda suck for that, especially since there's a big expensive full-size keyboard nestled in there too.

A great time to switch to tenkeyless?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

So I've been using iterations of Razer's Deathadder model for the past decade-ish, but I've finally gotten sick of replacing them because the scroll wheel (and ONLY the scroll wheel for some reason) stops working after three years, so I'm looking to see if there's any competing wired products that might be more durable or if I should just dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed Razer's obsolescence cycle.

My use case is web browsing, strategy games and RPGs (occasionally ARPGs) so I probably don't need anything REALLY elaborate, but a few programmable buttons and per-app config/button-bind profiles are a definite plus. I'm eyeing the updated MX518 or the G203/G Pro from Logitech (or the G502 maybe but it's hard to get over the weird-rear end shape), but I'm open to your thoughts or to any suggestions I might have missed.

ASUS's ROG Gladius has a similar shape to the Deathadder. So did the HyperX Pulsefire FPS Pro but I didn't like that you couldn't adjust the lights separately - I wanted the scroll wheel light without the logo light, but that wasn't possible.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lambert posted:

The shortcut for switching tabs is Ctrl+Tab (or Ctrl+Shift+Tab), or am I missing something?

ctrl+page up/page down work too

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

mods please we need to peg this thread to inflation

Should I buy a mouse with inflation adjustment?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

I've heard that for ergonomics I should be mousing by moving my arm rather than just wriggling my wrist

Trouble is my hand if I grip a mouse in a reasonable way my wrist ends up hitting the table rather than being in the air, and it's a lot harder to move my arm when it drags my wrist across the table. So I subconsciously end up just wriggling my wrist.

Is there a really big mouse for people with larger glove sizes?

Consider the Allsop Wrist Assist. It slides around your mousepad with you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

How long do gaming mice last? I do a lot of gaming and that nixeus revel I bought ~2 years ago is now giving me extra right-clicks.

I ask because if 2 years is reasonable for frequent use, I'll just buy another one since it's slightly cheaper right now. If not, I could use some recommendations for a gaming mouse with that general shape and size that will actually last or has a better warranty.

My experience with Razer mice in the past was 1-2 years per mouse with heavy use. Credit card extended warranty coverage might have your back if it's out of the mfg warranty already.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

I haven't gamed on a desktop in like 8 years and I'm 100% clueless on what grip I prefer for a gaming mouse. I'm not even sure if I'd be good at using mouse buttons other than left click-right-click-scroll wheel. What's a good decent starter to buy to figure things out? I'm right handed if that helps, tho I don;t think I particularly like extremely single-handed mice.

edit: a little bit of everything games but a decent amount of fps I think

In your situation it might be best to find a local store with various mice on display to at least find somewhere to start from (what felt good to you, what didn't, etc).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I haven't tried the ASUS ROG Gladius II yet but the first one had a pretty similar shape to the Deathadder.

Detachable cable and user-serviceable switches.

e: The 49.99 version doesn't seem to have the detachable cable or spare switches though:
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Gladius-Origin-Acceleration/dp/B07YD7GKN9/

astral fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cool project; thanks for sharing the pictures. I'd be a little worried about sharp edges in the glides around the drill holes causing some drag/snag (and/or a scratchy sound while moving the mouse, depending on mousing surface). Have you run into that or did it come out pretty even around the drill holes?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'd love to see a pie chart that showed how much of Razer's budget was marketing.

edit: Probably looks like this free steam game.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 6, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That keyboard is the first Razer product that's even remotely interested me in years, but definitely not for $130, or even $130 minus whatever the mouse could be resold for. Not to mention I just bought that $50 Kingston detachable-cable TKL mechanical keyboard the other month from the MS store as a nice backup to my existing Corsair KB of similar design.

On a related note, I've been using the Razer Deathadder Chroma I received from an older Deathadder RMA ~4.5 years back and the scroll wheel switch might be in an early stage of failure. For a while now it's been occasionally thinking I've let go of the scroll wheel button while still holding it down. What's weird about it is that it's been extremely rare; the last time I had a scroll wheel switch fail on a (Razer) mouse, it would frequently stop registering scroll wheel button presses to begin with. That hasn't happened this time around.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mysticblade posted:

What are people's thoughts on ergonomic mouse pads? I bought a cheapo one a while ago and the memory foam seems dead already so I was looking at getting a new one. I'm willing to spend a little more this time since it did feel better than using no mousepad like I was before but I'm not what to get. Any suggestions?

Money's not a huge deal but I'm from Australia and not everything ships there.

If you can find somewhere that sells it, I'm a big fan of the Allsop Wrist Assist instead of the traditional type of wrist rest.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Not a mouse but I'll plug Allsop's Wrist Assist again. It slides around as you move your arm.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

excellent bird guy posted:

I think everyone should have 1 good, quality trackball. I find them very useful. Just set it on the bed, or anywhere, no surface needed to slide across. Plus they look so futuristic when the ball is lit up like a glowing magic orb.

Why not just skip the middle man and go straight for the glowing magic orb?

Pros:
  • More precise than a trackball
  • More responsive than a trackball
  • You don't have to clean it as often
  • Truly wireless

Cons:
  • More expensive than a trackball (Should I buy a $100,000 magic orb?)
  • Can be annoying to recharge
  • You can't change the glow color with most entry-level models
  • Frequent issues with counterfeits

LordAdakos posted:

What trackball do you recommend?

I used a Kensington Expert trackball for a while and it was pretty solid. I want to say I had some issues with the scroll ring but that was a few years ago.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a recommendations for an all-rounder with 2-4 thumb buttons and software that isn't poo poo?

I've been using a Deathadder for many years now because it feels nice to use without an overload of features, but the wheel click is prone to failure and they get unreliable after 1-2 years. My most recent purchase just started glitching on middle clicks so it's time to replace and it seems like I should see what else is out there. In a first, the right button has started spazzing out too. I guess I ADS too hard.

I like the look of the logitech G604 or MX518 but half the reviews are raging about the software (which surprises me, I thought it was a settled issue that the razer software was the worst).

I especially like the mouse wheel on the G604.. I do a lot of flicking while I work and having a beefy metal wheel seems nice. But it's getting to that threshold of too many buttons.

ASUS ROG Gladius has a similar form factor to the deathadder. I can't speak to its longevity as I have still been using my last deathadder (a warranty replacement) which has refused to die for the last five years - though it may have received less use as I went through periods of trying a left-handed mouse, a trackball, and playing games with a controller instead of a mouse where possible/reasonable.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nostalgamus posted:

I haven't seen any general ergonomics thread, so I guess this goes here.

I've been having wrist issues (discomfort, but not quite pain yet) since about june this year. I've had the same desk setup at home for four years prior to this, and even longer with an unchanged office setup at work. I changed my mouse somewhat earlier this year, to one that was smaller that what I'd been using for the last few years - but the same size as the mouse I had before that.

Once again I'll recommend trying Allsop's Wrist Assist. It slides around with your arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Different DPI settings?