Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuroneko
Jun 23, 2004
Black Cat
I bought a Logitech g500 after making the decision to move up from my old mx518 that I had for years (but started dying sadly) to a g5 and realized it had all the same features with improvements. I got it for $47 after rebate which is more than worth it. For the normal price of $80-90, I'd still consider this worth it, but I see it even without rebates for $60 or so.

I love the mx500/mx518/g5/g500 contour shape and the g500 just improves on it with a slightly wider base that easier to rest on. The skin of the mouse is grittier, and I think it's for anti-sweat or something but it's doing its job fantastic, the mouse still looks brand new where after 2 months with the mx518 it was already getting a bit grimy (sweaty palms, yeah yeah). The paint job is subtle and nice and I much like it over the g5's webbed blue.

The hyperscroll feature is a hilarious gimmick, and I actually have gotten really used to using it for web scrolling. For games, of course not, and that's why there's a toggle. The scrolling left and right is fairly easy and I've yet to accidentally activate it when I didn't want to, though I usually leave it unbound in games. Middle clicking is very light, but not awkward once you get used to the wheel type.

The two side buttons are joined by an additional side button which is great, I always bind things in my FPSes to the side buttons. It was kinda tricky since I had to use SetPoint to remap it to a keyboard key since nothing recognizes past the 5th mouse button though. But for someone who loves having weapon switches bound on mouse, it's great and hasn't reached the silly level of the Razer Naga. I think one more for 4 buttons would be the most i'd feel comfortable with for thumb buttons.

The sensitivity is from the g9x, the newest laser engine and all that, but I use low sensitivity most of the time so I can't comment on how great 5700 dpi is or whatever. The sensitivity changing buttons are in a place where you shouldn't hit them on accident, like I used to on the mx518. The software lets you customize a ridiculous amount of the stuff, and it all saves to flash memory on the mouse.

All in all, apart from the annoyance of needing to rebind the 3rd side button and perhaps the delicateness of the middle-click on a hyperscroll wheel, I love this mouse and can easily see myself using it for as long as I went with its older siblings. I had a mx500 for two years and the mx518 for three, and all of my experience with this Logitech series has been fantastic and so far has continued with this mouse.

Kuroneko fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU