Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Greyhawk posted:

this is no longer true my last three logitech mice each developed ubiquitous double click syndrome about 5 days after the warranty expired

This is my first time venturing into this thread and it was to ask about this exact issue. So this is a known problem with Logitech mice then? It's happened to both of my G500s. I'm guessing there's no easy fix if you had to buy a new mouse?

I guess I'll try taking it apart like this guy recommends and see if it helps http://www.overclockers.com/mouse-clicking-troubles-diy-repair/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Klyith posted:

It can be a problem with all mice. All mice use some type of microswitch for clicking, and they all wear out eventually. I had an original Intellimouse Explorer way back when and the side button switches conked out. Logitech does seem more susceptible than some other brands though.

If it's out of warranty, that repair will do the job. I've done it myself, and it's quite fiddly but not difficult if you're careful. Note that if the mouse button still has a good feel to the click action, it may just be dirty. So just using some cleaning fluid (alcohol, contact cleaner) could be enough to fix the problem, which you can do without taking the microswitch apart.

Re-bending the spring is only a good idea if the the click is mushy, or the button feels like it's not returning all the way. The leaf spring is delicate, so that operation can break it.

Thanks very much :) I had taken it apart and cleaned it but it didn't occur to me to use cleaning alcohol, I just removed some lint that had gotten in there. The buttons feel fine so I'll try that first.

Edit because holy smokes it looks like that fixed it. Thank you again! I don't usually take apart electronics and I have an eye condition but it really wasn't even that hard to do. You saved me from having to drop another $50 on a mouse :)

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 23, 2013