Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm one of the dozens of wierdos who bought an MX Air. It's a pretty spiffy little mouse, but I've honestly not used it on a desk yet since it's for my media PC in my bedroom. I really like using it, but it's not the most comfortable to scroll with while laying down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Whatever happened to Func, anyway? I'd love a new Archetype 1030 pad, but their webstore's been down for at least two years and only a handful of Amazon sellers seem to have any.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Which Roccat is most similar to the MX518? Mine just started giving me issues after years of solid service. The Kone line seems pretty similar in shape, if a little wider. The Pure seems nice, but I will not pay 170 dollars for a mouse. Or should I just buy a G400 and be done with it?

Edit: Screw it, bought a G500.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 16, 2012

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My G500 is starting to double-click on me after some intermittent issues, so I'm guessing it's about time for a new one. I used to love my MX518, but I like the heft on the G500, running it at almost-maxed weight. What would be my best bet? I'm not married to wired, if the wireless is good enough.

I'm eying the Logitech G602 and Steelseries Rival. Any thoughts on those?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The Rival is about 130g but you can't add any extra to it. The G502 can push up to 140g with the extra weights in and is a better mouse overall.

The G600 pushes up into the 153g range so it's heavier still. If weight is your #1 goal is probably your best bet from these bunch.

I would say decide between G502 or G602 depending on what you care about more.

That's really helpful, thanks! I run my G500 at 144g, so the 502 would be pretty close, plus it looks ergonomically similar to the 500, even if it is a bit on the garish side. The shape on the buttons was throwing me off. I think I'll give the G502 a shot.

Edit: Now to decide if I want to replace my mousepad...

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 12, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Echophonic posted:

That's really helpful, thanks! I run my G500 at 144g, so the 502 would be pretty close, plus it looks ergonomically similar to the 500, even if it is a bit on the garish side. The shape on the buttons was throwing me off. I think I'll give the G502 a shot.

Edit: Now to decide if I want to replace my mousepad...

I ended up hating the G502, just for anyone looking into it. It's ever-so-slightly too narrow for my natural fingertip grip (which was good on the G500), so I'm either in a weird position I could feel in my wrist or dragging my pinky on the mousepad.

So, to remedy this, I ordered a G602 to try and it's great. Nice and wide, decently heavy with the alkaline batteries that came in it. Feels really natural in my hand. Only con is a lack of a free-scroll, but the wheel is nice and low-resistance. I never used the side scroll anyway, so it not being there isn't much of a loss. I like the extra side buttons, too, the lack of a third button on the side of the 502 was kind of annoying, since I liked having a middle click on the side of my 500.

Basically, I don't think the 502 should have gotten a number in the 500-range, since it's not like the 500 at all. It's lighter, the wheel isn't as nice, and it's narrower by enough to be noticeable. The 602 is boss, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Are there any wireless mice that have the 6 side button MOBA layout like the G602? I think the new wireless Naga has a panel for it. The G602 is a great mouse, but this is like the third or fourth one and the left click keeps going. I've been developing my electronics skills, so I can probably replace the switch this time, but I haven't seen many options besides the Naga.

I'd also be up for some suggestions for switches to replace these with.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 25, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Koskun posted:

If you are wanting to stay with Logitech there is the G604, which might simply be the replacement for the G602.

I had been looking for a while for something to replace my G700, but I ended up getting a Razer Trinity. I tried the 7 button side panel for a few weeks and couldn't get used to it. I've now adjusted to the 12 button one pretty well. I didn't know they.made a wireless version though. The only real downside to it is there is no texture to differentiate the buttons, only a slight height difference.

You can get replacement switches for your existing mouse easy enough. It more than likely will require a bit of de-soldering and re-soldering, as you also have to disconnect a ribbon\power cable from the board so you can access the solder points of the switches. Check a page or so back for some links that were posted when I was looking at doing it.

I was trying to avoid the new Logitech app, since I've heard nothing but complaints about it, or else yeah, I'd go with the 604.

I'll take a look, but you're right, it doesn't look too hard. I took my last 603 apart and it was pretty easy. I tried and failed to desolder the switches (mostly in that I put too much pressure on with my tweezers), but that was a few months ago and now I'm pretty confident I can make the swap without issues.

pocket pool posted:

I just replaced the switches in my GPro Wireless with some of these: Kalih GM 4.0 Mouse Switches

I like them so far a couple of weeks in, they are slightly louder but I don't think it's that bothersome (especially compared to the click bounce I had before).

I was eyeing either those or the newer 8.0s.

Edit: Ordered some 8.0s and some Tiger feet. Mouse is fine for now, I can do the swap this summer when they show up if I get bored.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 27, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject of mouse failure, I got ahead of my G602's lovely switches and swapped the Kailh 8.0s. Wasn't especially tricky and was good soldering practice. Also ordered a set of the Tiger gaming or whatever feet and they're nice. I'm actually going to have to get used to the lower friction. Should be set for this mouse for quite a while.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I managed to put a bald spot on my Func F-Series 10M. I really liked it since it was on the smaller side and quite slick. I switched back to an older, rougher Func pad in the interim, but I could use a replacement. I picked up a Steelseries QCK Medium hard surrface pad, but it's too big for the space and it way too rough.

My ideal is a slick, 10x8-ish pad. Any picks or recommendations?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'll take a swing at the Artisan one, sounds up my alley. I run a pretty high mouse speed on my G602 and move my wrist for basically everything. Guess it's just a habit from always having a narrow desk. Thanks!

Just replaced my feet and I actually kind of like the QCK more now, it's pretty smooth. I guess my feet were more worn that I thought and were causing drag. What's the frequency for replacing these teflon feet? Because my feet definitely scratched up the new QCK. from a few hours use.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 29, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

demostars posted:

Umm, maybe a small Artisan Hien? I'm pretty sure they're the only company making decent mousepads at that size anymore since Japan is about the only market that hasn't followed the whole "deskpad"-sized trend every other market prefers. It's not too bad of a mark-up to get one off Amazon either, the MSRP is roughly $20 in Japan but you can get one with Prime shipping for $40: https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-hien-Soft-Small-Black/dp/B07F5YC26P. If you managed to make the Func last that long, which I'm pretty sure is the exact same as the "Fnatic Boost" mousepad I got after they bought Func out that lasted me all of 6 months, then the Hien should basically last you a lifetime I'd imagine.

I just checked, and yeah, I'd been using that Func since 2015. Not bad at all for 9 dollars for now nice it was. The 1030 I got forever ago still holds up, I just wanted a thinner pad and it has that aluminum base.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My Artisan Ninja FX Hein (in small/soft, couldn't find a medium, but it's fine) just showed up today and I just tossed it on my desk. My initial impression is that it feels weird because it's not a hard surface, but is otherwise a drat fine piece of kit. Also got VERY lucky and got a Prime-shipped one for 40 total.

I'll give it a few days before making a final call, but it just feels more resistant compared to the glossier pads I'm used to. Nothing a mouse speed tweak or some time with it couldn't solve. The size is perfect, since I plant my wrist and do all my movement with my fingertips. It's also super quiet, comparatively. I can definitely see why people like these, it just feels really premium.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 1, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, I've spent the last two days with the Artisan Hein and it's a keeper. drat nice mousepad. Super comfortable on my wrist and glides really nicely. Dead quiet and I just generally like how it feels. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I ended up just replacing the switches, but I was already learning to solder for GBA modding and console repair. It's pretty easy on the G602 as long as you're careful with your heat. I got some Kailh 8.0M switches and they're drat nice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I assume the sensor will die at some point, but I got a few sets of switches, so I should be set for a while.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think the 8.0s are pretty similar to the Omrons they use in the 602. Might be a tiny bit stiffer and are definitely a bit louder, but I didn't really notice a major change. I ordered half a dozen from Kailh's Aliexpress store and got them reasonably quickly (looks like about 2 weeks).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I just like fixing stuff and haven't found a mouse I like better. I'd try a G702, but I was already learning to solder from retro console modding anyway and it was good practice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
:catstare:

Oh, jeez, it didn't even occur to me to replace the middle click switch when I did the other buttons.

Also my Ninja FX Artisan is still being fantastic. Really liking the surface now that I'm used to it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 27, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone tried out the new Razer Naga Pro v2? I'm super tempted and seeing reviews it's good for fingertip mousing. The swappable side panel seems like it could be interesting, too. I like the G602, so it having an option for the MOBA-style 6-button is what caught my eye.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Copper Vein posted:

What could be getting in the way of Logitech software detecting that an app assigned to a profile is running? I point the mouse profile at the .exe on my drive, then I run that game and the profile does not automatically switch, I'll have to manually toggle the profile as persistent in order for it to actually work in-game. I've used the older LGS software for a decade with a bevy of devices and games and the auto-switching has been reliable, but for the past 6 months or so I've been having to force the profiles to switch. I figured Logitech updated the LGS software and finally broke something so I expected G-Hub to fix this issue when I switched to it for my new 502 X Lightspeed, but nope. Same games with the same problem. Something on my Win 10 system is blocking most apps (by not apps) from being noticed by the software.

I've been having issues with that with LGS (9.04.49 specifically) on my new machine. Doesn't always respect alt-tabs, which is pretty annoying.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My G602 finally died for real :( But I bought a G604 which is an upgrade in every way - except the mouse wheel.

The G602 had a nice rubbery mouse wheel with great grip. The G604 is just plastic with some grooves on it and, with it's strong spring, feels incredibly slippery. It's probably not something that would bother most people, but my hands were burned when I was young and my fingertips don't have much in the way of grip left on them, so it is an issue for me.

:patriot: RIP G602

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've had the Razer Naga V2 Pro for about an hour and man, I kinda like the mouse, but I will never complain about Logitech's software again. Holy poo poo is Synapse infuriating to use. I guess making a profile and then setting games to it is a valid way to do it, but I don't like it.

As for the feel, I've been using a G602 for like a decade, so it's gonna take a bit of getting used to. I'm a fingertip mouser, so this thing being kinda high in the middle isn't really ideal. The width isn't ideal, either, since it forces me to use my pinky to brace against side button presses. Also the side buttons on the swappable panels are really squishy, which I am not a huge fan of. I'll give it a day or two, but I dunno.

I also can't get it to ignore my RGB controller, which fucks up SignalRGB. I mean, my own fault for getting a Razer controller to try to control my case lights, but jeez, just let me say "don't control this device."

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 24, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

astral posted:

With Razer, only buy mice/keyboards/whatever with onboard storage and then uninstall the software once you have it set up the way you like it. That's understandably a bit harder with stuff like a Naga.

It's just a real pain in the rear end that nobody makes MOBA mice anymore except one side panel of the Naga and the G604. My 602 is still fine and I have some extra replacement switches, I just thought getting something with a fancy new sensor would be nice.

Can just set the side buttons to just be F13-F24 on the various side panels, set it in the games I want to play, and just call it a day? Just seems really dumb to have a 170 dollar mouse that can't just auto-switch profiles like the one I've had for like a decade.

Edit: Screw it, I'm not paying that much money to deal with Synapse. I'll just keep using my 602, maybe I'll shop around another time. I still have to run LGS for my G710+ anyway.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 24, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Klyith posted:

At one point I had my capslock key remapped (using windows keyboard mapping) to F13. It wasn't all that useful.

Number one, in quite a few games F13 wasn't recognized as a key by the game settings. Number two, the mouse software may not take F13-24 as valid inputs. LGS didn't anyways.

Well, good to know, at least. I figured a lot of games would be weird about the second F-row.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That or Logitech Gaming Software. I have a G602 and just use that for it and my G710+. Apparently you can use both if you need Ghub for your keyboard.

I've had the same problem with upgrading my G602. I want the 6 button MOBA layout and it seems like only the G604 (which requires GHub for app switching on the fly) and the Razer Naga V2 Pro (which I hated instantly) have that layout.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Thoughts on the ROG Spatha X? I like the look of the side buttons and it looks like it actually has 6 of them on the side. Seems like a similar profile to the G602, as well. I've heard Armory Crate is a nightmare from hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is extremely heavy coming in at 168g. Looks like the G602 is 102g.

I didn't consider weight, but I'm a fingertip mouser. The G602 weighs ~157g with 2 AA Eneloops in it and I like it like that. So that actually sounds decent, I don't think I'd notice another 10g if the slides were newer and nicer.