Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Well after forswearing gaming mice I'm getting fed up with quick spins turning into staring at my feet. All I care about are good tracking at high speeds, comfort, and price; I don't need a dozen reprogrammable macro buttons and I hate visible lights.

I'd be perfectly happy with my Logitech M500 except for the skipping. I wish it were a little smaller but it's no biggie.

I've found the G9 for $49 but despite the thread title, I'm looking for something cheaper. The Sidewinder X5 is down to about $30 on amazon but I am given to understand it is for people with large hands, i.e. not for me.

The G9 coupon expires tonight and I'm not yet convinced it's worth $50. Can anyone recommend it (or something cheaper!) for a small-handed person who really likes to play games? Am I worrying too much about the Sidewinder's size?

edit: I'm thinking that the G9 is a great deal, but I don't really know what advantages it has over other $50 gaming mice, like some of the DeathAdder variants.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

SteelSeries has a one-day 40% storewide (via dealnews).

So, anyone have any experience with the Kinzu? Seems like a good deal at $26 after shipping. I don't know much about their products, though, so I was hoping someone could weigh in on the quality and durability.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Newegg has a big ol' Holiday Sale. Included is the Logitech G9x for $63.99 - $5.00 with promocode EMCZNZR85 - $30.00 Mail-in Rebate and free shipping, so $28 after rebate.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fatal Error posted:

Here's another really nerdy tool for those who care, if you're switching to a mouse with different CPI and want to keep your sensitivity in FPS games, or if you want to compare yours to someone else's (or see it in universal terms, 'cm/360'). Also shows Windows' sensitivity multipliers. I think I have aspergers. http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

No idea what m_yaw is.

m_yaw affects the horizontal orientation of the mouse (m_pitch is the vertical orientation). I don't think it has any direct interpretation but it acts as a multiplier for sensitivity, so your effective sens will be doubled if you double it or halved if you halve it. Unless your game of choice has a minimum sensitivity setting just change sens instead.

Some people like to have a lower m_pitch than m_yaw for "greater control" on the vertical, because they feel that it makes it easier to get headshots. I do not recommend this.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

feld posted:

I disagree. I'm on my second copperhead and I've played a ton of games/fps etc in it. I've never had this issue. Perhaps it's only certain mice and surfaces? I'm using a Funcpad 1030....

Certainly the first few waves of laser mice were gimmicks with much lower max tracking speeds than the best IR mice available then. According to the only actual experiments I know of, that's no longer the case; the MX518 gets up to 4m/s with the 500Hz patch on a good pad, while the G9x gets up to 6m/s (albeit on a super expensive glass pad in that test). As a rule of thumb I'd say 2m/s is good enough for almost everyone, unless you are playing Quake with a low sensitivity. On particular surfaces anything goes, although the newer lasers are better at glossy surfaces than IR mice ever will be.

If a mouse works well with your particular surface you may be unable to cause it to mistrack, particularly on a small mousepad. If this is the case the mouse is as good as you will ever need (but don't worry it will break within three months warranty expiration and you will have to get used to something new).

edit: I found another source: ESReality measured the Copperhead specifically to have a max control speed of 0.83m/s, while IR mice eclipsed 3.5m/s, and (in 2007) found that none of the laser mice performed as well as the infrared mice. The best laser mice were in a group just ahead of the infrared mice at 125Hz (from G5 through Habu are laser mice; above that all are infrared).

I guess a lot of people heard about these results and stuck with their MX500/IntelliMouse, and you too should stick with whatever works. However a good laser mouse can currently give as good a performance as an infrared mouse nowadays, and you should pay more attention to feel and price.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 30, 2010

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm looking for a new gaming mouse. Is the Logitech Corded Mouse M500 good? Are the extra buttons programmable or fixed as forward/back buttons? It's the only corded mouse with 4 buttons that I can find in stores, everything else either has fewer buttons or is cordless.

I'm switching away from a wireless mouse and keyboard combination because the keyboard doesn't always seem to respond properly.

On the other hand, my wireless mouse seems to work fine, but it sits about 2 inches from the receptor. If there's a wireless mouse which has a receptor which has an 18 inch long plug, that might work as well.
I recently switched FROM the M500 because, while comfortable and good for browsing, it can't track nearly quickly enough for games. The G9x is less comfortable, uglier, but actually tracks and supports polling above 125Hz.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

The G9x has a switch for that as well, it's just on the underside of the mouse.

I own both and I prefer the G500 for it's shape, but both mice are pretty great.

Yeah, I and therefore almost completely useless. I had a non-gaming mouse that had the switch on top (I can't actually remember its model) and I really loved going from freewheel while browsing to clickwheel while playing games. But in some games if you don't use the wheel often the first time you remember to change the function is when you accidentally change weapons or something, because the freewheel rolled a little when you just moved the mouse. On the G9x that takes two hands, or at least for you to flip the mouse over, lay it down, and flip it back (or have much, much longer thumbs than I have, in which case the mouse is probably too small).

If I remember correctly the G9x has a different sensor than the G500 that is prone to negative acceleration. I used to care about that but I can't even notice it so I don't let it bother me.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Any ideas? I was thinking either the g9x, Xai Laser, or DeathAdder. Any others I should be looking at?

Did they ever fix the grip peeling issues of the g9x?

I have a G9x. I have tiny hands and it's almost perfect for me. I'm afraid that your spindle fingers may not be comfortable unless you use a fingertip grip.

I'm not aware of any grip peeling issues but it has two grips and I've only used each for about three months (liked rough at first and now smooth, I must be fickle).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Verviticus posted:

Goo: Why is the M500 such an amazing mouse that nobody ever talks about and what's the grip on it called?
I had this mouse. The grip was nice, the shape was awesome, and I absolutely loved the freewheel (and how easily you could switch!); plus, it was a decent price at Microcenter when I needed a mouse and couldn't wait for shipping. I used it for several months but in the end it just didn't have sufficient refresh rate for gaming. At least in low-sens Quake it would impact my game and I could reproducibly cause it to lose tracking with swift movements, on several surfaces and a couple different machines. I kind of miss it for browsing -- being able to flick halfway down a long page with some degree of precision was a fun skill to acquire and use. The G9x has the freewheel selector on the bottom of the mouse (!) and it's too loose to leave on for gaming and not "worth it" (judging by my habits) to flip the thing over every time I switch.

tl;dr slap a decent tracking implement in the thing and I would probably use no other mouse.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Look up on this very page Epileptic! Scionix is talking about the Naos.

edit: of COURSE I say this and then snipe a new page. Look at the last page Epileptic. Go.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I really doubt you could change it in real terms at 1Hz frequencies to begin with.

In Linux usbhid at least you specify the number of milliseconds between polling, and for some reason I think only powers of 2 are allowed, so you get the exact same possible frequencies (1ms each is 1000Hz, 8ms between polling is 125Hz).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My G9x is starting to flake on me (I think the cable is loose). Since there doesn't seem to be any chance of a direct replacement I'm having trouble choosing. I slightly prefer optical mice and I have small hands/claw grip and require 5 buttons but don't use more than that.

I was looking at either the G500s (because I love the scroll wheel) or the Zowie FK. I read some reviews about the Zowie that make it sound like the scroll wheel is excessively chunky -- I consider the G9x wheel to be perfect in that it is clicky and easy to always flick one time when you want to, or to give a more substantial turn when you want that instead. I had a M500 with the dual mode and loved it, the G9x has the switch on the bottom which is much less useful but still nice to have. Other than the scroll wheel, the zowie FK seems to be half a cm smaller in every dimension and optical. I'm a little unsure about the coating on the FK.

So has anyone used an FK for a long time? Does the scroll wheel become smoother over time (one review mentioned it did over the course of the review), does the coating hold up? Reviews are nice and all but a mouse holding up a year later is more what I'm after.

Is there another, smaller mouse with good quality and 5 buttons?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I don't like leaving it in freespin mode when I play games. With the M500 I could flick it on when on really long webpages or PDFs, with the G9x it was so much a burden to turn the mouse over it was off most of the time I'd have wanted it on.

I was hesitant to look at Razer stuff because of old bias but I discovered that the Taipan is just about the same size as the FK. I don't know much about Zowie and I figure Razer may have changed in the 10 years or so since I looked seriously at non-logitech mice. I hear their software sucks, is there anything else I should know?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I bought a func1030 hard mousepad a long, long time ago, and consider it a waste of money. It was hard to keep clean and rather small.

I now have an enormous steelseries mousepad and it has enough room for my mouse and my cat. I think the cat appreciates it more than I do. I now prefer cloth pads for the times my wrist is resting on the desk and I still use the giant pad because I don't see any reason to replace it. I would not pay extra for this much room if I needed a new mousepad in the future. At the time I was trying to play Quake Live with a sensitivity less than 1 and it seemed like a good idea.

I actually used a bigger mousepad for about 3 years in between. It tracks fine with a laser mouse, but it's not perfectly flat and the surface seemed to punish the old tiny skates mice used to have. Easy to clean though! And space for all manner of housepet, I reckon.

My recommendation is to buy a black cloth mousepad that's big enough for whatever you want it for.

edit: actually, unless you don't like something about what you're used to, buy whatever you're used to. It's entirely up to your comfort and preference.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 17, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Can you describe what you mean by "sideways shaped"?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Duct Tape posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on buying a refurbished G9X from eBay for around $40? Here and here

I'm a little hesitant on delving into refurbished mouse territory, but I can't find a new G9X for less than an arm and a leg.
I replaced my G9x with a corsair M40 that was on sale over the holidays. It's a decent replacement if what you're after is the shape and size. It is a optical mouse so if you prefer laser I guess you need the M60/M65? which I'm told are the same shape but with a better body (aluminum) but laser sensor (and with a sniper button on the left side). I will say that I could get the G9x to stop tracking by moving really really quickly, and I can't make the M40 stop tracking however quickly I move the mouse.

Unfortunately the wheel is noticeably harder to turn and much harder to spin quickly, and I miss the freewheel on those rare times I thought to use it. I'm only recommending it because the form factor is close enough for me and I thought I was picky about these things (before I read the reviews on certain incredibly picky websites).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The corsair M60/M65 have an aluminum shell, I hear.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Cathair posted:

Seems like a good time to ask, then: why is an optical sensor better than a laser?

Certain surfaces are better with one or the other (I think generally laser is capable of working on glass? but has some specific bad interactions). Other than that, optical sensors tend to have higher maximum track rates.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The track rate thing is different from DPI; I mean the fastest you can move the mouse and still get good results. I don't remember the numbers but my G9x (a laser mouse) if I moved my hand fast enough would basically stop responding (wiggle back and forth horizontally) while with my current optical mouse I can't reproduce that behavior. I believe it's generally true of laser mice although I really don't understand why.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My M40 scroll wheel has broken in a little but I still miss logitech scroll wheel for great fluidity at just enough resistance to never accidentally cause a tick. If the M65 is the same your textbook is my "seriously chunky."

What I'm saying is I want an optical G9x with a top-mounted freewheel toggle.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ruin Completely posted:

I am kinda looking at new mice, can't decide what I want. I have big hands and do lots of face shooting, my sensitivity is really low and my mouse will be getting thrown around a colossal sized mouse pad. Something bigger and a bit heavier would be good, and I'd like to not spend more than $50. The ones I'm looking between:

-SteelSeries sensei
-Steelseries rival
-Corsair raptor m40
-Coolermaster storm havok
-Coolermaster storm recon
The M40 is one of the shorter mice, although it is also one of the wider ones (it's quite like the G9x which is why I chose it). I use a sort of lazy claw grip and have small hands and find it very comfortable. You can turn off the glowy corsair logo on the top, obviously not the tracking light though if that's your complaint.

You should really decide if you want optical (rival, m40, recon) or laser (sensei, havoc) and go from there. Laser mice tend to do worse under low sens/high movement rate conditions due to lower max perfect tracking speed.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Aren't fine DPI adjustments a bad idea anyway?

My understanding is that a given sensor has a few "native" resolutions and the way that in-between resolutions are achieved is by ignoring some percentage of counts. So when you set your 1600dpi sensor to "1400dpi" it just ignores an eighth of the counts, meaning that there is some distance that you move where it counts two changes but only transmits one of them.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

If this is true then I'd love to know what the 'native' resolutions are in the 602 so I can stick to them.
From what I can find the G602 has the same sensor as the G100s which according to some guy on TeamLiquid has native dpis that are multiples of 250 between 250 and 2500.

That guy claims his "information comes directly from CPate who works for Logitech" but I can't find anything straight from the source.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I didn't know that about incremental DPI resolutions. Does anyone have the same information for the G700? (Not the G700s, though enough people on this thread have the latter and might care about that too.)
G700 uses the Avago 9500, according to whose datasheet the steps are 22.5CPI, but according to the same datasheet the register settings used to control the resolution have "approximately" 90cpi granularity. And then in an example calculation it appears to say that 5040 ≃ 5670.

The G700s is said to use a S9808 sensor. Assuming that this has the same relevant specs as the 9800 it has steps of 50cpi.

I'm guessing that this (very fine CPI adjustment) is one of the hidden advantages of laser mice, but maybe there's just something else I don't know going on, and there's clearly something weird going on given the 22.5 step size claim versus the granularity of the microcontroller settings in the G700.

It probably only came to my attention because the mouse I'm using only has two native resolutions (1800 and 3600). But lots of high-end mice use the same sensor, and some people are used to 800/1600/3200 and think that if the manufacturer's software lets them change the dpi to those values it will be just like old times.

It's worth also mentioning that exactly halving the native CPI produces no real side-effects so ultra low resolution players can use 900 (or even 450) CPI if they prefer. When you halve CPI, whether natively or by ignoring every other count, you get the same kinds of behavior.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

fookolt posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/8/5593420/logitechs-g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse-12000-dpi

New Logitech mouse; I like the shape and everything but oh...those...colors :pcgaming:
What about those colors? It's a much less cyan blue in the video than the photo with that story, but I don't see a problem with either color.

everythingWasBees posted:

And I just got the g602. :negative:

Is that a laser or an optical mouse. I can't imagine an optical mouse having that kind of resolution.
The G400s also has "Delta Zero" technology, its sensor is the "S3095" which (as far as I can see) is just an A3090 optical sensor with a special lens and illumination.

I think the physical limit (assuming "optical" means "visible light") about 60,000dpi native, and 12,000dpi is probably not a resolution it actually operates at natively (see this explanation by a Logitech designer of subdivisions of the sensor matrix, among other things).

I'm not going to go out and spend $80 just for the pleasure of using this mouse but I will definitely look at it if my M40 breaks anytime soon, assuming that the shape and size are comparable to the G9x.

Linux Nazi posted:

Ugh, not going to be able to resist pre-ordering that new Logitech. This loving company...

I don't think I've bought a non-Logitech mouse in well over a decade, sans a Razer Mamba which I had to return a week later. Last time I bought either a Razer or a wireless.

Any clue on the release date for the G502?
According to the first sentence of TFA:

quote:

set for release this month in Europe and North America for $79.99.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

lethial posted:

Oh gawd, that G502 looks great. Goo, compared to g9x, g700s, and g602, can you tell me if the mouse is longer or shorter please?
The G9x is 110x80x40mm (length, width, height). The G602 is 140x83x44. G700s is 129x84x47.

The G502 is 131x75x41, so it's about as long as the G700s, about as tall as the G9x, and thinner (just) than any of these.

Also these numbers don't tell you anything about how it arches or really feels so definitely try a mouse out before you buy it.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 9, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

ShaneB posted:

I'm about 99% sure my SO got me a G502 mouse for a birthday present. Waiting until the weekend for new hardware suuuucks. Also I'm struggling to think of a geekier present than an $80 mouse...
Don't worry, Razer has you covered:
http://www.razerzone.com/nabu/notifications

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

5436 posted:

I had a Logitech G9 until a few weeks ago when I lost it. Whats comparable? I really liked that mouse.
I had the same parting sorrow from the G9x last Christmas; Logitech has not updated this form factor.

I settled on the Corsair M40. It's optical; there exist laser variants M65 and M95 that have the same size but laser sensors and I think the M95 has an aluminium shell, which some people like and some don't. It's a short, fat mouse that fills my small hands nicely the way the G9x did. You can disable the logo LED so all you're left with is the DPI display and the actual sensor. The software hasn't had any hitches for me and you can save profiles for use on other computers, including Linux and so I presume mac, that don't have the software installed.

You can also look at the G502 which just came out, although the form factor is nothing like the G9/G9x; it just seems to have a very nice feature set, including freewheel scrolling with a topside toggle (G9x had freewheel toggle on the underside where it was nearly useless for me; I don't know if the G9 has freewheel or if you care).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mortimer posted:

My g9x is about to kick the bucket (scroll wheel rubber has stretched out due to use rip), the g502 looks great but again, it's $100. Can any 502/g9x owner attest to the similarities or suggest the next best thing? The 602 looks pretty neat and is more in my price range but drat if the 502 doesn't look a million times better. And it's wired.

Oh wait doesn't logitech have that whole lifetime warranty thing or did they get rid of that? My g9x is maybe four years old.
I'm a former G9x owner who bought a Corsair M40 before the 502 came out. It's an optical mouse (which I prefer) with a similar short and wide shape. The M40 was on sale for like $27 over Christmas but it's usually $60. Still you'll probably find better deals than on the 502.

If the reason you liked the G9x was its shape the M40 (and presumably M65/M95, which are laser if you're into that) are probably better than the G502, which is just a slightly shorter (vertically) version of the familiar MX500 shape.

The 502 has the best overall features of any mouse right now. It's up to you whether you like the feel of it, and to decide if those features are worth the price.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

kiwid posted:

So, I RMA'd my G502 with Logitech and they replaced the mouse with a non-broken one. However, they provided no instruction as to what to do with the current mouse I have. Anyone dealt with Logitech warranty support before?

You scored a free broken (semi-functional?) mouse dude. Logitech is seriously the best.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mortimer posted:

I thought it looked pretty cheesy with the fake carbon fiber body then I realized it wasn't fake :stare:

"0.05% lighter than your plastic mouse!"
Don't worry though, in case it feels too flimsy it has an adjustable weight system.

It has the exact same sensor as the M65, nearly the same height and length, but is much narrower.

edit: and the USB cables are silver coated. To ensure that the digital signal is even shinier at the destination than its source!

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 29, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It will either be annoying or unnoticeable. If it's noticeable it will be annoying because it's different. And people will convince themselves that they notice it even if it's not a big deal.

So really a no-win situation.

pick your favorite feature to apply this to, I wrote it thinking of the offset cable but there are so many choices

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I would not call anything by Razer the "Model M" of mice.

For that matter I don't think anything by Logitech satisfies that, either. Mice are fiddlier than keyboards, probably for good reasons.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

I doubt these mice are even ps/2 compatible but even if they were they contain everything I already hated about the Lachesis.

I'm just looking for a mouse that isn't some H.R. Giger nightmare but still has a good sensor, is that really such a rare thing?
I would just get the Logitech G100s ($17.65 on Amazon).

If that's too ugly look at Microsoft mice, the people I know with the oldest mice are clinging to Intellimice (Intellimouses?). Those aren't ambidextrous but some of their other mice are.

Any wired mouse should be able to use the PS/2 converter, I believe, but I also think that PS/2 refresh rates are different in some weird way from USB. I would assume you're going to end up with 8ms latency if you use the converter however good your mouse is.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 7, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

What's specifically wrong with laser sensors? I thought they were considered the top-tier form of optical mouse but they seem to get a lot of hate here.
The only advantage they have that I know of is they are generally less picky about the surface you use. For instance if you have a glass desk and hate mousepads, I think you're stuck with laser mice.

Meanwhile high DPI is not very useful and can even be a bad thing in games where there's a minimum sensitivity and laser sensors are plagued with acceleration issues and lower maximum tracking speeds.

Most laser sensors have noticeable (if you look for it) negative acceleration, where a quick motion over a certain distance actually moves the cursor less than a slow motion over the same distance. And laser mice tend to behave really badly at the edge of the max tracking speed; if you push an optical mouse above its max tracking speed, you usually reach a max cursor speed and plateau, while with laser mice I've experienced things like move 2.5m/s gives normal (bad negative accel but otherwise fine) cursor motion, moving 2.6m/s means my cursor starts wiggling back and forth around a point (I'm guessing at the speeds but I could reliably get this trying to do 180s and 360s with low sens).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My G9x was fine with dirt but hair rolling under the sensor made it freak out.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

I'm probably the first person who downgraded from expensive razer mice to this.
No, there are a good number of people who stockpile or ebay an intellimouse every so often because their first "gaming" mouse thing crapped out on them or was produced by Razer or had some other fundamental flaw that made them go back to their Intellimouse and swear off all other mice forever.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

G502, G600, G700s all have tilt wheel. I think that's it out of their current gaming line.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Logitech just annouced the G400s successor, the G402. I hope it has an optical sensor and not a laser. The product page doesn't make it clear what kind it has. Does anyone have an idea?

the product page posted:

Hyperion Fury combines an optical sensor featuring Logitech Delta Zero technology with our exclusive Fusion Engine™ hybrid sensor

The "hybrid sensor" seems to be referring to a gyrometer sensor.

I'm wondering if gyrometers are accurate enough for this to really work as a replacement...? Do they work well at high speeds but not low speeds? If they're accurate why don't we just use those instead of worrying about mousepads (it is a mousepad maker conspiracy, isn't it?)

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody actually uses scrollwheel tilt do they?
Yes, some people do, different strokes. If you ask again I'm sure all of them will give you one crazy tip for using it in different applications.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The gyrometer only kicks in (as affecting your cursor movement) when you are moving the mouse really fast. It is entirely optical except for those times it thinks the optical sensor won't be able to keep up, if I understand correctly.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 30, 2014