Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

wolrah posted:

Actually the wheel is one area where the MX Rev is superior to current models. The MXRev could automatically switch between modes, where all the modern ones seem to have the physical toggle. Don't get me wrong, the toggle is OK, but the automatic mode was better and I got used to it. It's the only thing I consider a downgrade on the G700S.

I will cling forever to my MX Revolution because the Performance MX's wheel is so much more of a pain in the rear end with the manual unlocking. I still use the MXR at work while the PMX is at home, and the button arrangement (seriously, who uses that poorly designed thumb rest button) and wheel were both a step back.

Not needing the charging cradle and having a user-replaceable battery were good steps forward, but I had to replace one PMX already because the left click was either double clicking or not registering clicks properly, and I only had the mouse for two years. Considering that my other mice have lasted five years or longer, it was a disappointment.

I mean, I'll keep using it, because none of the other mice out there have really done it for me, but you don't have to force people to use the auto-clutch. Keep the manual unlock as the defualt, whatever. Just give me the clutch back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

wolrah posted:

I'm with you everywhere except the bold part. Auto-clutch was so much better I still can't understand why it wasn't the default. I mean for a product introduced well in to the era of tabbed browsing, where middle click means open a new tab, why would anyone think it was a good idea to make clicking the wheel do something different? And why hide the greatest feature of that wheel? It was intuitive to anyone, scroll slow and you get clicks, scroll fast and you don't.

Literally the only reason I'd install the official Logitech software with that mouse was to change the clutch mode. Otherwise I treated it as a plain USB HID mouse for reasons anyone who used Mouseware doesn't need explained.

I had forgotten that the middle button unlocked it by default; I had changed it back to middle click years ago. What I meant was that if they wanted to keep manual unlocking as the default, I'm cool with that (just use the MXR's button located below the wheel instead of the middle click like on the PMX). The auto-unlock clutch with tension control is the magic that makes a stepless wheel truly useful. The way you put it was simple and great: Scroll fast, it unlocks and spins. Scroll slow and it clicks. It's great.

The lines I kept getting from Logitech people was that the auto-clutch was "confusing," but, with apologies to Goo, I know cost reductions when I see it.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 5, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
And you can adjust the threshold as to when it unlocks as well on a per application basis. It'll never freewheel in a game unless you want it to.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Another anecdote to the pile of PMX is that I'm on my third one, because both suffered left click death. Meanwhile, my original MX Revolution is still going, even though the battery is losing life.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Dear Goo,

Thank you for bringing back my auto-clutch. I will buy two of these mice immediately (one for home and one for work). My work MX Revo was getting very, very tired.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master?wt.mc_id=global_news_mxmaster_032415

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Horizontal Tree posted:

Toggle wheel is already polarizing as hell for people who use their mice for gaming, I can't imagine it being automatic would be anything even remotely good.

The automatic toggle is a setting. You can have it behave as a manual lock/unlock in the MX Revo if you so desire and I would hope you can still do that with this one.

Still, the clutch is what made the MX Revo magic in the first place. For anything other than gaming (where a manual lock/unlock is a better idea) it is superior.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The MX Master has side buttons; they're right next to the thumb wheel on the side.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Unclear if it saves profiles or not. My MX Masters will be arriving today, so I can hopefully give a review or something soon.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The MX Masters arrived and they are great. This is the MX Revo successor that I've always wanted. More to come later, but as far as I can see the settings require the Logitech software. I tried setting the wheel to global free spin with no toggle, and plugged it into another machine, and it reverted to the default behavior.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Some meandering thoughts on the MX Master.

1. The shape is good. Feels like an improved version of the MX Revo, not the sort of fat hump that the PMX was. It has grippy texture in all the right parts. I dig the bronze plastic highlights, it does feel a bit more old-school Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer in color but hey, it works. :v:

2. Auto-clutch works just like you expect it to. My MXR's wheel was very worn out (it was a circa 2007 mouse) and it's great to have a good wheel again. No side-to-side wobble and the middle click is a real, distinct click that is mapped to middle click by default. The lock/unlock button positioned below the wheel and main buttons is a programmable button just like on the MX:R and not a mechanical switch like on the PMX. So you end up with about 7 programmable buttons in total.

3. The back/forward buttons are in a different place than you're used to. Instead of clicking them directly and shifting your thumb forward and backwards, I end up shifting up and down (or left and right I guess). This might be an RSI reduction type thing. I would prefer the wheel/buttons arrangement to be moved a little bit forward, but this is something you literally can't please everybody on and you'll adjust in your own way. The shape of the divot gives a pretty good muscle memory feel for what button is which.

4. The thumb wheel is far easier to use and I haven't quite decided what to map it to yet, aside from leaving it on horizontal scroll for now. It has no detents, it's a heavy, damped action that reminds me of a focus ring on an old manual focus camera lens. It is not high speed and will not free-spin at all, but it doesn't have "stops" like the MXR does. It just spins and spins and spins... just slowly and deliberately.

5. The very annoying PMX thumb button has been redesigned to be a far less annoying button that requires more intent to click. I always kept accidentally clicking it on the PMX and it was perhaps my #2 annoyance with that mouse. The thumb button now triggers a gesture feature, which is pretty slick. A normal click will behave just like a click, but if you click, hold, and drag it will perform an action assigned to that direction. This could be really powerful depending on what you want to do for a workflow. Zooming, panning, etc. are good uses of this feature. The gestures are optional; if you want to leave it as a normal button you can do that too.

6. I decided to use the Unifying receiver instead of Bluetooth on my Mac, because I'm not sure about using BT on a desktop. But the connection switcher works as advertised, you can easily switch between three pairings, and whatever pairing is active will light up an LED on the bottom of the mouse when you flip it over.

7. The battery is user replaceable, the instruction book shows you how to disassemble the bottom of the mouse to replace it. Undo two screws and it pops right open.

If you're a Mac user you'll be happy to see that LCC has been put to pasture for good and it's been replaced with Logitech Options. Overall it's a massive improvement, but it does have one flaw, as far as I can see, and it's that it lacks application specific settings. This is going to be a big deal for some people, and unless it's in a non-obvious place, I can't find anywhere in the app to do it. But all of the customization features you could want are there, as long as you're OK with them being system wide. This is on a Mac, I haven't tried it on my Windows machine until I get home from work so the situation may be different there.

Overall, from an afternoon's worth of use, you can give this mouse to an MX:R user and they'll be quite happy. It has all of the features they would want in an improved modern package.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

VodeAndreas posted:

Does the MX Master have a button under the thumb like the MX1100? I've grown to use that one as much as the back button as it's so easy to roll your thumb onto... The side wheel looks to be a interesting alternative though.

My MX1100 is feeling it's age so this mouse is looking pretty good to me right now.

Yes it does. It's better positioned and does not activate accidentally like it did on the PMX.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
After using the MX master for a week (or whatever long time I've had it), the only thing I can appreciably say it is missing from the MX Revolution has nothing to do with the hardware.

Logitech Options does not have per-application settings and it is driving me batty. I have five different applications that have a different definition of back and forward, so using the driver's "back" and "forward' function doesn't work. I had to program each one properly in LCC, and now there's no way to do it in Options. I also like having different zoom wheel options for different apps and it's unable to do that at the moment. Not being able to tweak it per app severely reduces the functionality compared to other mice. Yes, LCC sucked in a variety of ways and Options is better software in general, but without per-app settings a lot of previous owners are going to be disappointed and frustrated.

I can live with it for now but this needs to be a "sooner rather than later" priority.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

wolrah posted:

Shouldn't this be directed at the app developers who decided to look for something non-standard instead of MOUSE4/MOUSE5? I've never had an app that supported those features require any configuration unless something like the Logitech software shoved its face in there and screwed up what the mouse was sending (see also: MOUSE3 in the mouseware era)

While devs should default a back/forward action to mouse4/5, it's not the only situation where it falls down, because that's just one example. In different apps I might program different shortcuts for different things, or they may not even support Mouse4 or 5 for those events at all. In Photoshop I might want those buttons to toggle between layers, or open windows, which doesn't cleanly map up to a Mouse4 or Mouse5. I might also want my gesture button to behave differently in PS (rotate canvas left/right, zoom up/down) versus Safari (do nothing).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

particle9 posted:

Have you tried using Uber options? http://uberoptions.net/

Not sure if it would work on the new master but it worked great on the old MX.

Uberoptions does not work with Logitech Options unfortunately. It's also Windows only.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's been a default behavior since, what, 2001 when Microsoft introduced the first Optical Intellimouse (and Explorer)?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I use the MX Master on Yosemite with no problems. Either you got a faulty mouse or have a conflict. Logitech support is quite good, they will definitely help out if you poke them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

bull3964 posted:

The MX Master uses a lithium ion battery and those types of batteries measure their life through charge/discharge cycles. Since one cycle could be as much as a month on the mouse and it's not something that will sit on a charger all the time when not being used, I think should last a drat long time.

Consider a CONSERVATIVE 1,000 charge cycle on it before the battery starts losing charge. If you do 15 cycles a year, that's almost 67 years before you see degradation from charging cycles. Granted, the battery chemistry will probably break down due to old age before then, but I think it will likely be fine for the lifetime of the mouse.

The MX Master has a user replaceable battery anyway, so the point is moot. When it dies, open it up and replace it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK, the battery life and whether it was replaceable were the main things I wanted to know.

I have two MX masters and I've found they both last a few weeks on a charge.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Good news for MX Master users, the latest update for Logitech Options re-added per-application settings. This was my only complaint with the mouse, and now that it's resolved, it's truly replaced the MX Revolution in my usage.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Don't buy the Performance MX, buy the MX Master.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I wore the left click on a performance MX out twice. The only thing that killed my seven year old MX Revolution was a new MX Master.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I've been playing games with the MX Master just fine. Maybe I'm not sensitive to the laser sensor's always-on acceleration, but I can't say I notice any input lag. If you're sensitive to acceleration you probably want a "gamer" mouse but I can't bring myself to have another mouse just to play games.

I use the unifying receiver, not bluetooth.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Djarum posted:

Same. Same with PC Cases I think there is a market out there for classy looking hardware out there for people who don't want their computers to look like extras from Fast and the Furious movies. Try looking for a case without a window and lights, it is not easy to find something decent anymore. I have a Master and like it alot but I still like my MX Revolution more. I wish Logitech would do some minor hardware upgrades to that (new wireless tech/BT, newer sensor) and rerelease it.

Fractal Design serves this niche for cases pretty well. Functional and classy.

I think the MX Master has the edge over the MX Revo if only because you can charge and use it at the same time. I loved my MX Revo so much (the shape and back-forward buttons were perfection) but I actually prefer the horizontal roller versus the push left-right of the wheel. But if I could buy brand new MX Revos, I would still do it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Djarum posted:

Yeah the back/forward buttons on the Master is what causes me to dislike using it. I like the roller a lot better, but the wheel on the Revo is better in every other aspect. The Revo wheel is far and awhile the best mouse wheel I have ever touched, I have no idea why Logitech has moved away from it. I also miss the actual button that I can use as my third button on the top instead of the manual shift button.

I'd really like play and charge on it as well, although I have never had much issue with battery life with my Revo going on ten years now. I throw it on the charge once every 4 or 5 days and it is good to go.

Are you talking about the button positioned slightly behind the wheel on the Master? I also use that button as an auxiliary click, it's configurable in Options. You don't have to use it as unlock. I've been using it for Exposé on a mac ever since I got it. I never use manual unlock, always auto-clutch. Pressing the wheel also still acts as a true middle click.

Ever since Options added per-application settings back the MX Revo has been sitting in a desk drawer. Unfortunately mine developed problems where the charging cradle just would not charge it correctly and I didn't really have the wherewithal to fix it. The wheel also didn't free-spin correctly anymore after eight years of hard daily usage so it had to be retired.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Djarum posted:

Is it now? I know when I first got it you couldn't configure it in the options. It might get me to start using it a little more then.

The blue circles are assignable buttons, and they all have the same level of assignability in terms of functions. After the per-app settings patch, I find it to be about equal to the MX Revo in terms of button customization.

Also, I did clean the contacts, but the issue I'm betting is the battery connection (and the fact that the battery is just shot) and I just haven't felt like opening it up since the MX Master has basically succeeded it for me. I should fix it and sell it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got the MX Master. Not a big fan of the scroll wheel thing where it spins forever if you spin it really fast. It's kind of neat but I wish there was a way to turn it off. Now I need to figure out what to do with the two thumb buttons. Right now it looks like it's defaulting to back/forward in Firefox but I don't know how useful that is.

You can turn Smart Shift off entirely in Logitech Options or set a button to lock it manually, but that feature is kind of the mouse's raison d'etre. Download Options and look at the customization options, it will do pretty much whatever you want.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Nope. Try another Master and see if you have better luck if you want to still use the auto clutch wheel.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SinineSiil posted:

Does anyone here have Logitech MX Master? How hard is to middle click with its scroll wheel? As hard as with older Logitech dual mode scroll wheels or is it easier? I use middle click almost as much as left click so it's very important that it doesn't make my finger hurt after a while.

Since the wheel doesn't move left and right, the middle click on the MX Master is much more solid. It also has the unlock button which can be remapped to a function as well for a middle click.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SinineSiil posted:

More solid? I'm not native English speaker so that could mean either good or bad to me. Do I need to use less force to press it?

More solid as it has a more defined click and doesn't wobble. Since the wheel doesn't have left-right scrolling it is firmer and easier to click. I wager the force of the middle click is about the same as most other mice wheels.

There is an actual button below it that nominally is mapped to unlocking the wheel but you can set it to any function you like if middle clicking the wheel isn't to your style.

I used to use an MX Revo before the MX Masters.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

duckfarts posted:

because the double-clicking issue you had isn't necessarily the norm?

I lost two Performance MXs to double clicking/bad left click problems, it's certainly a big enough problem but they produce so many mice that the odds of you getting a bum one is still fairly low.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

tirinal posted:

In anticipation of the new MBP and our glorious USB-C future, is there a goon consensus on the best wireless mouse (ideally with >4 buttons)? All my usual favorites through Logitech use USB 2.0 for the adapter.

MX Masters have native bluetooth and don't need dongles. Go nuts.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

NihilCredo posted:

Is the thumb wheel on the MX Master clickable? I.e. does it work as a third thumb button, like the main wheel works as a middle button? I can't find any review that says yes or no.

The thumb wheel is not clickable. The thumbrest area itself is a button.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Jose posted:

The scroll wheel in my MX Master is acting up. It still works just not very well and if i spin it quickly to scroll fast it just doesn't move at all. Is there any easy way to deal with this?

edit: it seems to have fixed itself whatever was happening

What OS are you on, and what version of Logitech Options?

Once in a blue moon my wheel will get in a whacky state, I just unplug and replug the dongle and it starts working fine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Both of my Performance MX mice succumbed to double click, but neither of my MX Masters have, and my MX Revo before had its wheel go whacky before the double click (and that was just in time for the MX Master).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Looks like Logitech just announced a Mark 2 version of the MX Master. Thankfully they're not loving with it, so if I end up needing a third mouse I'll be able to continue using auto-clutch goodness.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/logitech-mx-master-2s-mx-anywhere-2s-review/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's how Logitech forward/back have been as far back as I can remember, at least as far back as MX500.

Yeah, I can't remember it being different. They have a specific touch and you get used to it very quickly. You don't have to stretch your thumb to use them. The MX Revo's buttons were a bit longer, but I've had no gripe with the MX Master's.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The MX Master mark 1 is only tenbux more and has none of the annoyances of the MX Performance. There's also "Certified refurbished" for around 50 bucks as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mas...itech+MX+Master

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 30, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
That mouse was my jam except I had the wireless version. I used it until it died and went to the MX revo. Unfortunately I’m too used to the auto clutch to go back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's not Harmony Remotes, it's the Harmony Link, which is a controller hub that works by an app on your phone or tablet. Its replacement is the Harmony Hub, which largely does the same thing.

Regular-rear end Harmony Remotes still do the same job they've been doing for 15-ish years. But I bet Logi wants to kill them too... they're just not the same product as what they're killing in that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Sagebrush posted:

It's like they figured out the way that gets you good toggling and an annoying button (Anywhere MX), good button and annoying toggling (G9), and both together but really expensive (Revolution), and still haven't managed to hit the holy grail that puts all three together.

They did, it's called the MX Master. You can get the perfectly serviceable mark 1 for sixty bucks.