Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

weapey posted:

I'm a leftie, a gamer, and a Xai owner (along with numerous other mice).

I can't recommend it for low to mid sensitivity (anything around or less than a 12" for a 360 turn in an FPS), as the sensor has both negative and positive acceleration (if you plotted centimetres moved against pixels moved, it would could out in a squiggly line instead of a straight line - it just isn't linear or consistent). This is less noticable if you're not that bothered about accuracy. You might be alright in Quake Live for example as you'll hardly notice any difference. For the record, this is with the latest firmware (last updated about 11 months ago, around the time of release), and apparently YMMV from mouse to mouse.

I just wanted to chime in that I got a Xai recently and so far I absolutely love it. Maybe they ironed out the bugs in the factory since mine came fully updated right out of the box.

I can't find any negative or positive accel. I have also not noticed the scroll wheel bug(after scrolling many times in one direction it may skip a scroll and then suddenly do two in a row on the next tick).

The max 5001 dpi is overkill but considering that it can be adjusted in increments of one I think of it like the sensitivity slider you find in games; they extend way further than I would ever need, but I rather have a bit of surplus than being restricted. As such I have the windows mouse notch set to middle and in game sens set to 1.0, letting the mouse itself determine the speed through hardware.

Setting the polling rate to 480(straight from the mouse itself) and disabling angle/snapping correction also makes it as responsive as I could possibly get it.

Furthermore I prefer this kind of design. From a distance it looks plain, which I'm quite fond of. I don't want something that screams THIS IS SPECIAL LOOK AT ME. The ambidextrous design also allows me to hold it like I want to, unlike a lot of other mice that were designed with a specific grip in mind.

All in all I am very happy with it and am glad I got it quite late after its release. It was a lot cheaper that way and I did not have to change the firmware or anything. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

Holy poo poo that does look phenomenal. I might just bite the bullet and eat the cost if the independent reviews hold up. I've not gone wireless but the weight and battery life combination is now right to tip me there.

:same:
I have a perfectly working deathadder elite and really don't need this but gently caress it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Is the bottom mounted dpi switch the only way to change it? I personally use dpi 1000 for menu's and 4000 when actually playing fps so that dpi switch on the deathadder is actually useful to me.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

On top of that, I prefer to have movement data come as much from the hardware sensor measuring movement, versus getting the result enhanced afterwards by an algorithm.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

isndl posted:

Last I remember there's some interpolation bullshit going on when you don't have the Windows cursor speed at default. The MarkC Mousefix needs to be customized to your configuration if you do that, at least.

While having the mouse speed in windows set to the middle notch is a solid practice pretty much because of this, keep in mind most modern games talk to the mouse in such a way that they circumvent the windows mouse settings entirely.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Received my G Pro Wireless. I'm stunned. I'm going from the deathadder elite, which is legit wonderful in its physical and reliable sensor(everything else regarding razer is just... ugh). The mere fact that there is no cable is already amazing. The shape and size are pretty much perfect for my hand. Coupled with a QCK XXL from steelseries, I feel... unchained? Odd hyperbole maybe, but I feel so much more nimble in Quake, it is unreal. I'm over and undershooting all over the place but that's because apparently my muscle memory totally incorporated the cord drag. So much even, that I initially thought that I had set up the dpi wrong in the mouse - it felt faster than the original setting.

Despite that I'm now beginning to actually get to the magic 40% lg mark that eluded me personally for so long. Rail improved noticeably. The raw % is not that much higher, but the level of difficulty in the shot that I can now pull off has risen quite a bit. Not even remotely close to pro mind you, that's impossible for me, but the difference is not placebo. It's just too much. And the scoreboards back it up.

It's always possible that I wouldn't have been this enthusiastic if I had the wireless predecessor of this one. But I don't, so!

But not everything is rosey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyfeu_rzJdY

I think my model is affected - the left click and right click plates can drift every so slightly and so in certain earlier versions of this model this translates to your lclick getting stuck under your rclick or vice versa, in heated moments. For me that equates to either not jumping when I should, or withholding a critical shot. Apparently logitech is aware so getting it switched out is not an issue.

Does anyone here have experience with getting equipment replaced straight through logitech? Is it their procedure to send out a replacement once you provide proof of purchase, or do they wait for the defective product to come in?

Basically I am asking "will logitech let me play with my slightly defective yet awesome toy while I wait for my perfect version of said toy". I'm totally spoiled now, pretty much. :v:

e: the manual included suggested(through a simple picture) that the wireless receiver should be within 20 cm of the mouse. That's rather short but with the receiver plugged straight in the pc, quite a bit further away so far there is no issue.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 21, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Because the question is already sent but Im still waiting so hey why not. It started as a "hey this thing is good" post but then the rest rolled un afterwards. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Thanks for answering!

I can totally get waiting on it. I just felt like getting Christmas early I guess. Benefit of waiting is that is that it drops the odds of you running into this odd problem!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Volguus posted:

They may be excellent, but since a signal's propagation speed through the air is slower than copper i simply cannot see how one can say "preferable". At most they can be "fine".

This is no longer the case. That's the whole reason I jumped on this. Welcome to the future, it is now and good.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Update regarding the g pro wireless problem that I sent a ticket to logitech:

They responded with an offer. They told me they're not entirely sure yet which batches are affected and which are fine, as a result they want to give me a g903 instead. From what I understand, they have the exact same value.

But after looking up some details through rocket jump ninja and other places, the two mice are rather different in size and shape. The g pro wireless fits really nicely. the g903 is a different beast it seems. It's a medium/large mouse.

Does anyone have experience with the g903 with small-medium hands? Or how about experience with switching from something the size of the g pro wireless to something the size of a g903.

e: rjn thinks the mouse shape and weight isn't that nice for fps gaming. Man, tough choice.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 4, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Thanks for the insights. Will hold off and see. :)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

kimcicle posted:

I bit the bullet and bought a G703 today. No mice cord cleans up the desk nicely, and I seriously cannot tell the difference in response time between it and my old Rival 300. The shape is a little funkier than I was expecting (sticks out a little too far up in the back for my taste) but overall fits my hand better than the Rival did.

The logitech wireless tech is the real deal.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Logitech NL is really nice as well. Got a replacement sent in within days of sending them the info. I'm checking with them what the next steps might be (they haven't asked me to send in the original yet which is weird).

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

G pro wireless

Ok so lets start with a good source of info on this with this chill af mouse reviewer, Rocket Jump Ninja:

Top 10 2018 (guess who wins)
https://youtu.be/3_0UiUFwrXc

Actual review:
https://youtu.be/NeWRU92qMUQ

Don't recall other reviewers who handle it the way he does. He knows what he's talking about and has a ton of fps experience. He can explain it better than I especially regarding the sensor.

My personal experience with it loves this thing. It's weird how they managed to make a mouse that weighs only 77 grams while still remaining structurally sound. The buttons are all solid. It's fully ambidextrous, with the side buttons removable. They're all held in place with magnets but you wouldn't notice until you tried to pry them off.

The shape is nice. It fits my hand really well. I wouldn't like a g903 myself. Too bulky and heavy for me I guess.

Battery life is surprising when you add all the facts together. Since the battery is built in, you can't put your own brand in and use it for 200+ hours. Since its only 77 grams you already know its built in battery is teenie. And yet this mouse is efficient enough to last 60 hours if you disable the rgb lighting(which I hate personally). It also informs you of its rough charge level through some leds when you touch it for the first time in a while. And even when indicating itself as low it will still last 10+ hours so just enjoy doing what you do and plug it into your usb cord when you go to bed. You have to go out of your way to make this thing die in the middle of a frag session.

If you've never gone cordless yet, this will feel weird for the best of reasons. You will notice the lack of cable drag. It's liberating. Even if you think you won't care, you will notice this.

Sensor wise there isn't a lot to say, but that's a good thing. It goes up to 16k, has no quirks. It's as accurate as they come. If you miss a shot/click, it won't be because of this thing.

The wireless tech they use makes it as reliable and fast responding as a corded mouse. No problems with interference or fluctuating response times.

I don't know if I recommend it at the price I got it for everyone (150 euro) but that's simply because I decided to give it to myself as an expensive gift so I was willing to pay a premium. I also wonder how big of an upgrade this thing is when you already have something like a g305, which has a similar sensor, wireless tech and shape while having a much lower price.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

Thank you for this. That's bascially where I stand with it, having watched RJN's first review. I'm also in the same boat as you about the price and it being an expensive gift. Currently, I use a lovely dell 4-DPI-toggle 5 button mouse, so it'd be breaking new ground for me. This also makes me question whether I go to something halfway first.

One of my concerns is from the (no doubt small minority of) people who are reporting some build issues with it. I do wonder whether I wait a while and let the dust settle on that. Have you noticed anything?

When RJN mentioned the overlapping buttons I immediately did a check on mine and noticed that I could make it happen if I really put my mind to it. In practice it didn't happen. But in theory I guess it could happen in the heat of the moment. Still, it's a premium product so I contacted Logitech support over it. Told them I really liked what I got overall, but that I did notice the build problem and how that's a bit of a pity in something that is considered top-of-the-line.

they couldn't have been more chill about it. They first offered a g903 since its the same value. But it's a different beast, and I really like this one so I declined that offer. They had no problem offering a new g pro wireless, they just weren't sure which batches were affected and which were not. They just needed proof of purchase, and requested I held on to the original hardware in case they had questions. A few days later a replacement came in.

That was weeks ago. They sent me a questionaire and I checked with them if they needed anything else because of how casual they were about it all. Nope, everything was in order now that I received my replacement mouse. I expected them to ask for the original. I still sort of do, so everything is neatly packed and ready. But all I'm getting is their newsletter. :shepface:

E: I can confirm, the proteus is good. If it werent for the fact that I'm completely hooked on being cordless, I'd still use it on and off. I had to get used to the thumb rest, though. I'm used to having my thumb partially rest on the mat for small aim corrections, and the proteus forced me to adjust.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I initially hated it. It made me realize just how much I used to use my thumb for corrections. It made me feel unsteady at first, more floaty than I was used to. I kept "skidding" around in moments where I needed a fine tune. But in the long run it was totally fine.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I think my g pro wireless also came with that extender despite it being lightspeed

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I don't have any in mine but that's just one experience out of many.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Well, yes. Years and years of using the same settings will ingrain them into your muscle memory. Switching away from what you're used to will always feel awkward, because now your muscle memory is no longer accurate.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Wake me up when they use the g pro weight saving and lightspeed tech on that mx518 :smug:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

But seriously, an mx518 that's as light as the g pro with that same low pow sensor and tiny battery might intrigue people. I'm set for the next 4+ years but otherwise I'd be interested in a variant of this rebirth.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Logitech in general seems p good! I'm sure its different per region but most people are quite happy with how they respond to support requests.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

While mice will do what mice are meant for(click all the things) some feel more optimized for fps/rts and others more for things like mmo's where you have a ton of keybinds. G Pro Wireless feels like an fps mouse more than anything.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Contact logitech support and ask for a replacement of the same model. It's a good mouse. Shame yours went bad that quickly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

There are razer mice that don't have on board memory, so you need the software at all times on those. I know one of the deathadder models is like that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

G Pro wireless is really good on most fronts ya. Probably not what you want if you need more buttons than a standard mouse tho. And the price is very high. That it looks simple is a nice plus.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Sx felt great to use but was p cold and also not the size I'd like. It was very nice tho.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

How does the razer viper ultimate shape compare to the deathadder? Does anyone here have experience with both?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

they are completely different. deathadder has very aggressive ergo shaping while viper is ambi and much smaller. Most people using a deathadder are using a mouse that is way too big and dont even know it.

I'm not using either at this point. But I did like the deathadder in the past for its shape and the idea of that mouse with the type of tech found in the g pro wireless sounds tempting(my current mouse) - minus the fact that it is a razer product. And on top of that my g pro wireless is running fine! I really don't need more tech!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Its Chocolate posted:

Okay, are there any good wired controllers for PC under $80?

Idk what dualshock4's cost in your area but they're really good. Work both wired and wireless.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

If you go the PS4 route, you need DS4Windows to make it read it as a Xinput device. You also have to put up with the button prompts not matching.

If you want plug and play, just get any xbox one controller.

Ds4windows used to be near mandatory, yeah. Thankfully steam is pretty nice at ds4 support these days. Also agreed on the button prompt situation. Some games finally support the ps4 versions. All things I personally am okay with because the ds4 is so good. In part because at the time not having a poo poo dpad felt very nice.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Logitech works decent without extra drivers. Do the problems occur regardless of what you have installed for the mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

You'll get used to it quicker than you think! :)