Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

modulartribe
Feb 24, 2012

modular tribesman

modulartribe fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 9, 2019

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Has anyone here tried out Moment lenses? https://www.shopmoment.com/google-pixel-3

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Was in Zion National Park this week

(click for big)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

iPhone 11, main lens, auto settings, no editing.

The simulated bokeh never looks right for me, but I still think this isn't bad.

Spider:

Cropped:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 18, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ditto

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A local primary school I take pictures of and around a couple times a year:

My website clickbait pic:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 20, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went camping by the Clackamas river in OR, south of Estacada.
No comet, but it was still a nice view.

E:vv pixel 4 on night sight. The first picture I tried was facing in the general direction of civilization and got a ton of light pollution. I turned the camera south and got this one.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 22, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty bonkers star detail for a cell phone.. especially in an area with that much light pollution.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LG G6 photos. I think everything after ~mid-2017? uses a sideloaded Google Pixel cam app.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JtPCeRs9hxXshTtC8

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Queueing at the supermarket:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Middle one is a perfect postcard!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 4, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mister Facetious posted:

iPhone 11, main lens, auto settings, no editing.

The simulated bokeh never looks right for me, but I still think this isn't bad.

Gorgeous, the colour scheme hits me hard. I think this is one of the rare times that I'd have a hard time telling if it was fake DoF or not, it works well here.

Mister Facetious posted:

A local primary school I take pictures of and around a couple times a year:

I love the feeling in these two of that eerie quiet sparseness. No one's around, just these static buildings and the weather.

its all nice on rice posted:

Went camping by the Clackamas river in OR, south of Estacada.
No comet, but it was still a nice view.

E:vv pixel 4 on night sight. The first picture I tried was facing in the general direction of civilization and got a ton of light pollution. I turned the camera south and got this one.

I'm amazed that this came out of a phone, that's awesome.

Great landscapes, looks like postcard material

I really like that strong orange, and the pared down aesthetic of flat colour and swooping lines.

Also is that the staircase in the AGO in Toronto? It looks really familiar.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Three I have from my Pixel 3:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I really like that strong orange, and the pared down aesthetic of flat colour and swooping lines.

Also is that the staircase in the AGO in Toronto? It looks really familiar.

Thanks, and no it's not in Toronto.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Three I have from my Pixel 3:

ok where in Toronto is there snow already? please don't jinx

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

ok where in Toronto is there snow already? please don't jinx

:ssh: I took those before the pandemic, don't call the photo cops on me

I'm not sure I have a more recent cell phone photo actually, I've gotten back in to my ancient DSLR lately

fake edit: I have one from today, enjoy some Toronto fall foliage:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

iPhone 11, main lens.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
OnePlus 7 Pro.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Got an iPhone 11. What are good apps for capturing DNGs or HEIFs and otherwise extending the uses of the camera? Is Halide worth it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Halide is kind of the de facto standard, but Lightroom mobile does raw mode too. So that would be my first option even though it's probably not the best it's good enough to get a feel for what raws on a phone can do.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It’s the first time in a while that I’ve had a ‘nice’ phone camera (iPhone 11). Still, as much as I’d seen on various websites about the amazing advances in computational photography, sensor technology, and multi-camera integration, I think my older iPhone camera images were about as good.

Particularly, the way my old 6 handled auto WB and ‘HDR’ in the default camera app honestly looked a little better to me. The sky wasn’t as neon blue, and sunlight had an overall warmer tint.

I guess now the main iPhone image sensor and pixel sizes have grown fractionally from 12MP 1/3” to 12MP 1/2.56”, and that coupled with strong OIS gives it a pretty cool night mode. I don’t see much of an improvement in normal lighting situations, though.

Portrait mode has been pretty accurate, but the effect just looks weird even when the subject is perfectly ‘cut out’ from the blurry background. I’ve seen it handle some impressively complex subjects, but the lack of a realistic focus roll off just kind of hamstrings it as an actual replacement for a real fast lens. I also wonder what the advantage of two lenses is for portrait mode when one of the two is a 13mm equivalent with basically unlimited DoF. I guess it must be supplying some kind of depth sensing, but as a stand-alone camera unit the ultra wide gives up a lot of detail vs the standard wide module.

But even if the output from the default app feels a little ‘off’ sometimes, I guess there are now lots of alternative apps for capturing and processing more RAW-like.

Some of the Android cameras are getting insane specs like huge MP counts, optical zooms, 1/1.7” sensors, but still see lots of examples of crappy default image processing with many of those. Garish colors and oversharpening.

I wonder what the over all best smartphone camera is right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think in terms of the actual camera hardware, they're all about the same. The arms race is in the computation now.

I don't see much in the way of real quality improvements either, but I'm horribly biased by spending a lot of time with a DSLR and being able to pixel peep blades of grass. For people that don't give a poo poo and only take pictures to flood their facebook feed the portrait and nightmode stuff is super awesome. Just don't zoom in on anything.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006